The Depression Thread #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Keep the social side of your life going or you'll end up agoraphobic like me and find it difficult to leave the house

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Lots of love and hugs, Sideboard Bob. We're here if you need us.

Had a bit of a fight with my O/H today about how far I've let some things slide, but he doesn't seem to understand that when you have depression you just don't care anymore. He said to me "I know you're *R word* but I'm starting to think you're REALLY *R word*" (I suspect I may be on the Autism spectrum but doubt there's much point getting tested at my age).

He knows I'm waiting for therapy as well. 😢
I’m so sorry he said that. I was diagnosed ASD as an adult. So if you think you will get something out the diagnosis then push for assessment. It was my Psychiatrist who wanted me assessing.

And I hear you! Even getting out of bed is a struggle with depression never mind actually keeping on top of things.

Sending 💗💗💗

Keep the social side of your life going or you'll end up agoraphobic like me and find it difficult to leave the house
Another agoraphobic here. I try so hard to leave the house occasionally with support but it never ends well. Even the enclosed back garden to get to the bin is impossible some days! My home is definitely my safe place. Lockdowns made it much easier to not go out too so put my exposure therapy even further behind. Lots of Love 💗💗💗

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Hi, I hope it’s ok to join in. I’m feeling very sad & low today. I’ve got BPD and always had a little bit of depression & anxiety, always normal for me to go and have my phases where I’m completely down and can’t cope and have a really bad depressive episode. I feel like I’m entering one now. I feel so alone. I had a miscarriage two days ago and I’m still basically in the process and in a lot of pain. Obviously I know the grief comes alongside it and that could be what I’m feeling but I just feel empty and depressed. I just don’t want to move. I just don’t want to think or feel anything. I look out the window and see all these people moving about and talking and I just can’t even imagine just going back to normal. I’m still in my pyjamas and I just don’t want to shower. I don’t want to tidy up. Then I feel anxious cos I’m not tidying up or having a shower. I’ve not brushed my hair. I just feel empty inside and so alone, and I know with my post it probs sounds completely normal for what I’m feeling like to be happening to someone who’s gone through what I have but I genuinely don’t see a way out of this and I just feel depressed

I am rambling a bit now and sorry if my post is upsetting and thanks for reading my ramble if you’ve got this far x

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Hi, I hope it’s ok to join in. I’m feeling very sad & low today. I’ve got BPD and always had a little bit of depression & anxiety, always normal for me to go and have my phases where I’m completely down and can’t cope and have a really bad depressive episode. I feel like I’m entering one now. I feel so alone. I had a miscarriage two days ago and I’m still basically in the process and in a lot of pain. Obviously I know the grief comes alongside it and that could be what I’m feeling but I just feel empty and depressed. I just don’t want to move. I just don’t want to think or feel anything. I look out the window and see all these people moving about and talking and I just can’t even imagine just going back to normal. I’m still in my pyjamas and I just don’t want to shower. I don’t want to tidy up. Then I feel anxious cos I’m not tidying up or having a shower. I’ve not brushed my hair. I just feel empty inside and so alone, and I know with my post it probs sounds completely normal for what I’m feeling like to be happening to someone who’s gone through what I have but I genuinely don’t see a way out of this and I just feel depressed

I am rambling a bit now and sorry if my post is upsetting and thanks for reading my ramble if you’ve got this far x
TW talk of pregnancy loss

Oh my love, I’m so so sorry for your loss.

Please remember that on top of grief and depression, your hormones will be all over the place right now and that will take a while to settle.

Give yourself permission to do whatever feels right in any moment. If that’s staying in your pjs under a blanket scrolling on your phone, do it.

Whatever you do, don’t add any guilt on yourself for feeling that you ‘should’ be doing x or y because there is no should in any of this.

If you’re in pain, please consider getting checked over (if you haven’t already, or if you have and it’s not getting better) as the last thing you need is for physical complications if the miscarriage isn’t complete, or if there’s a chance of infection

Sending you a gentle hug xx

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’m in two minds regarding therapy. I finally had an online session with an assigned therapist and I did not like her at all. I felt like she was blaming me for getting depression and not doing enough to get better. What she failed to understand is that I cannot avoid dealing with people and situations that trigger me, nor do I want to use my friends and family as free therapists. The only thing I wanted was her helping me find some coping strategies, and she did not have time for that. I don’t want to see her again, but then I also feel like I have a privilege of being able to get therapy and it would be silly to refuse it. But I’ve found self-help books to be more useful TBH.

I hope everyone is doing as ok as can be?

I’m really struggling at the moment, have been crying for a lot of the day and finding everyday things really hard.

I hate having to wait to get help, I still don’t know when it will be. I don’t need any advice or anything, I just need to get it off my chest.

I‘m so done with feeling this way, I’m a naturally happy person, but I just can’t get myself back to being that way without some real help.
I know exactly what it feels like Sideboard Bob! I’m so sorry. From my own experience, I can say that I usually go through periods of feeling like this (lows) and feeling better (highs). Please know you are not alone and you will get better. I hope you get the help you need ASAP; meanwhile, try to pay attention to little things that can make you smile: sunshine, birds singing, a good book, a nice cup of tea or coffee, a call or text from someone you are close to, etc etc. I’ve found this strategy makes everyday life more bearable. Sending you a big hug! 🫂
Lots of love and hugs, Sideboard Bob. We're here if you need us.

Had a bit of a fight with my O/H today about how far I've let some things slide, but he doesn't seem to understand that when you have depression you just don't care anymore. He said to me "I know you're *R word* but I'm starting to think you're REALLY *R word*" (I suspect I may be on the Autism spectrum but doubt there's much point getting tested at my age).

He knows I'm waiting for therapy as well. 😢
That was so cruel of him! Please don’t take it to heart, as you’ve said, people who have never experienced depression just don’t understand what it feels like. I hope your feel better soon ❤

• Heart
Thanks Agent Cooper.

I've had mixed results with therapy. I find if you don't gel with the therapist, you won't get good results. My first therapist was awesome and I really found I got a lot out of my sessions with her. My latest therapist was telephone only (due to covid) and she was nice and everything but I found I just didn't click with her the same and the only thing I can actually say I got out of the 6 sessions with her was that I decided to get audible. 🤷‍♀️ And the best conversation we had was the final 15 minutes of our last session when we talked about her cats. I'm REALLY hoping I don't get her again this time (although knowing my luck I probably will).

• Heart
Can I offload here for a bit?
No rhyme or reason - just feeling overwhelm on every level. I feel like everything is testing me at the moment and I’m losing my rag at every little thing. Things are not going to plan. Kids are not listening. Rinse repeat. I’m fed up of arguing - I’m tired and this isn’t me. I don’t like who I am or what life is.
I feel like my memory is not very good. Like immediately after I’ve done something I doubt myself and wonder did I do that thing or not?
I’m tired. I struggle to get out of bed (mentioned this before). Everything is a struggle.
Such a doom and gloom post - I wonder if I was to walk away from it all, if Theyd even notice I was gone. I feel like I have a negative impact on everyone and I can’t shake the feeling

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Such a doom and gloom post - I wonder if I was to walk away from it all, if Theyd even notice I was gone. I feel like I have a negative impact on everyone and I can’t shake the feeling
This is such a typical thought for all of us who struggle with MH issues. But they do care, believe me. Some people are just bad at showing their feelings and affection but it does not mean they do not appreciate you. Hope you feel better soon ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 7

I just wanted to say I’m so sorry for your loss. I can’t even imagine what it’s like, but I understand what you’re saying. What you’re feeling must be so overwhelming that it would be impossible to see a way out of it. Grief is so exhausting, and disorientating, it will eventually get easier though. Please be patient to yourself, and keep talking to us if you feel up to it. You’re not rambling at all, it’s a lot to process on top of what you already deal with x

• Heart
Hello to all 😘 Must admit, this is my first time visiting this thread but I just had a quick question.

I'm no great expert in regards to depression, but I wondered, is it possible for a person to function pretty much as 'normal' on a regular basis but be suffering with a kind of chronic low-grade/mild depression? And this would be very much a situational depression that's gone on for years.

I wondered if this is something that is a thing and if anyone has had any experience or any opinions?

❤

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Hello to all 😘 Must admit, this is my first time visiting this thread but I just had a quick question.

I'm no great expert in regards to depression, but I wondered, is it possible for a person to function pretty much as 'normal' on a regular basis but be suffering with a kind of chronic low-grade/mild depression? And this would be very much a situational depression that's gone on for years.

I wondered if this is something that is a thing and if anyone has had any experience or any opinions?

❤
Oh absolutely possible.. I think you’ll find a lot of us here function ‘as normal’, go to work, get stuff done around the house, visit family… depression can be such a secret illness. I could be in the deepest pit when I wake up in the morning and not see the point in living at all but as soon as someone speaks to me in the office I’m all smiles. It’s a switch I can’t help.

Hope you are looking after yourself 💚

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Struggling here. Too many things going on and I can’t cope with anything else.

I cried at the vet yesterday. Not my finest moment. My beautiful dog has to have further surgery on Tuesday and I’m so scared 😔 This is after the emergency one 3 weeks ago.

Feel like I’m shouting at my kids constantly and wish they would just bloody listen. I have no patience and am struggling with rage.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
@watermelon sugar - I've bumped into you here and there on other threads and I ocassionally lurk on here. I just wanted to say after reading your post above that I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and what you're must be going through. I can't imagine how devastated you must feel. I hope it gets easier for you to bear as the weeks/months go on ❣

• Heart

I cried at the vet yesterday. Not my finest moment. My beautiful dog has to have further surgery on Tuesday and I’m so scared 😔 This is after the emergency one 3 weeks ago.

Feel like I’m shouting at my kids constantly and wish they would just bloody listen. I have no patience and am struggling with rage.
I get that rage thing too, I feel like my head is about to explode, Ive been known to go outside and scream alot, am sorry to hear about your dog, fingers crossed for you the surgery will go well x

• Heart

Ugh Polly that’s too much for anyone to cope with at once. Like @Maid22 I‘m keeping my fingers crossed for your dog for Tuesday. I don’t know if it helps, but you’ve got us internet strangers really rooting for you x

• Heart
  • Haha
Ugh Polly that’s too much for anyone to cope with at once. Like @Maid22 I‘m keeping my fingers crossed for your dog for Tuesday. I don’t know if it helps, but you’ve got us internet strangers really rooting for you x
It helps so much, thank you and @Maid22

I feel weird saying that, but I know you guys get it.

The dog situation is just another tit thing on top of an already massive pile of tit things. She’s a massive worry as the concern is that she may have a tumour - she had one removed 2 years ago and now there’s a lump behaving in the same way and I’m terrified. My vet is amazing and has fitted her in Tuesday, as the next surgery spot they had was 3 weeks and she knew I wouldn’t cope waiting that long.

Therapy is finally beginning to feel like it’s doing something, and that in itself is hard. Poking at childhood wounds that have been buried my whole life, while the actual goal is to get control of PTSD which has taken over my every waking (and sleeping, actually) moment for 3 1/2 years.

Then I’m also weaning one lot of meds ready to swap onto new ones, so I’ve got side effects of withdrawal which are frankly awful.

All while solo parenting a teen and a pre-schooler. And a dog.

Some days I wonder how I’m surviving and then I realise I can’t think about it as actually it’s overwhelmingly terrifying because if I actually think about how much tit goes on day to day I will crumble.

Argh sorry. That all just came out.

I’m going back to the Hinch thread to use more swear words and let my rage out there at their reckless parenting!

• Heart
@Sideboard Bob I keep meaning to ask how are you? Has felt abit awkward in here, but am over that, miss our late night chats!!
Awww thank you @Maid22 you are so sweet, and I miss that too. I‘m glad you’re over the awkward feeling.

I’m ok really, just struggling a bit. I’ve not posted here much because I don’t even know what to say. How are you lovely?

• Heart

❤
Hi there, welcome to this thread! 👋

To answer your question, it’s absolutely possible to be ‘secretly’ depressed. I think most of us here go about our business pretending we are okay even when we are not. I myself prefer not to share my struggles with anyone but my best friend (and the lovely people on here).
If you feel like you would benefit from getting help, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Nobody needs to struggle alone! For most people, it is possible to get better or at least learn some coping techniques once actually diagnosed.

I’m so sorry to hear that! Sounds like you have a lot going on, no wonder you feel so overwhelmed and stressed. Please don’t be too hard on yourself, you are clearly doing your best in this difficult situation ! I will keep your lovely dog in my thoughts, I hope everything goes well on Tuesday! 💗

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.