The Crown - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just finished binge watching season 4! God that was intense but so good! 😩 (Felt the whole stag thing the first few episodes was really sad and a bit unnecessary as I’m really anti hunting) I do find it hard to keep up with what is happening when though, like every episode is a different time jump and I’m like oh wait hang on William and Harry are now a few years older than last episode? Oh okay... 🥺🤨 Hahaaa.
I watched episode 1 last night and couldn't watch the hunting scenes. Do they hunt in more episodes? I have to look away every time!

• Sad
Reactions: 3
The hunting scenes were dreadful those beautiful creatures 😢 the royal family are a bloodthirsty lot

• Sad
Reactions: 17
Nearly finished season 4 - one episode to go.
I have to keep fact checking though, it seems like they've been more generous with the truth in this season?
I am finding it a little tasteless actually that they're making out that Charles and Camilla basically had an ongoing affair for the entire duration of his marriage to Diana. Apparently this isn't true and they didn't speak for 5 years (although I suppose they would say that). I just keep thinking this poor woman is dead and they're portraying her relationship like this, idk, I think it's been laboured a bit too much for me. Love it otherwise though. Gillian Anderson is brilliant and really love Helena BC as well.

Reactions: 4
I watched episode 1 last night and couldn't watch the hunting scenes. Do they hunt in more episodes? I have to look away every time!
The part with the stag gets resolved (as in the poor stag gets shot dead) by the end of episode 2 and there’s not much else hunting wise shown for the rest of the season, just mentions of it and also pheasant (is it pheasant?) shooting is shown a little more. Honestly I felt physically sick seeing that poor beautiful stag treated like that 😭😭😭 like who see’s a beautiful animal in its prime and thinks ‘oh wouldn’t that thing look better dead and on my wall?’ Like I just can’t comprehend it.

Reactions: 11
The part with the stag gets resolved (as in the poor stag gets shot dead) by the end of episode 2 and there’s not much else hunting wise shown for the rest of the season, just mentions of it and also pheasant (is it pheasant?) shooting is shown a little more. Honestly I felt physically sick seeing that poor beautiful stag treated like that 😭😭😭 like who see’s a beautiful animal in its prime and thinks ‘oh wouldn’t that thing look better dead and on my wall?’ Like I just can’t comprehend it.
Oh, me too. I hate the thought of it. It pains me to watch anything like that, but since we're on season 4, and I'm not about to ditch the show, I guess I'll just have a lot of averting my eyes in episode 2. :(

Oh, me too. I hate the thought of it. It pains me to watch anything like that, but since we're on season 4, and I'm not about to ditch the show, I guess I'll just have a lot of averting my eyes in episode 2. :(
Oh wait there is a small scene (episode 2 or 3 I don’t remember) of the stag being strung up and skinned or whatever the hell was happening to it but I skipped through that part mostly even though it was actually a scene between Charles and his father Phillip with that happening in the background. And then a short scene a few episodes later of the stag’s head being put up on the wall. 🤢😭

I just thought the whole thing was unnecessary but maybe the producers wanted to show how blood thirsty the royal family actually are? Even though it was heartbreaking. 😭

Oh wait there is a small scene (episode 2 or 3 I don’t remember) of the stag being strung up and skinned or whatever the hell was happening to it but I skipped through that part mostly even though it was actually a scene between Charles and his father Phillip with that happening in the background. And then a short scene a few episodes later of the stag’s head being put up on the wall. 🤢😭

I just thought the whole thing was unnecessary but maybe the producers wanted to show how blood thirsty the royal family actually are? Even though it was heartbreaking. 😭
Ugh! All sounds a bit unnecessary! I'll have to skip over those parts. Thanks for letting me know!

Reactions: 1
They portrayed Diana to be a bit stroppy. I wonder if Charles didn't actually get down on one knee.

I did find it weird how they didn’t write or shoot the scenes how they’ve been documented to of happened between Charles and Diana? 🤨

I think the stag served two purposes:

1. show the family's love of hunting

2. maybe it's too "arty farty" and I'm overthinking this, but I think it's a "parallel" or "metaphor" for Diana: Diana, a name of the Goddess of the hunt and how Diana is often described (even in her own words) as "lamb to the slaughter", "the huntress becoming hunted [by paps]" and all that.
So Diana's "initiation" into the family is helping shoot a major stag, during a hunt with Philipp, who crucially is another "outsider" (ie married in), but also the manager of the family in private and interestingly the last episode of this series and his... "threat" and advice...
I think the stag is a "representation" of Diana, ironically/fatefully killed by her (with her help, her direction and Phil at the gun).
If one wanted to read even more into it, it kinda even foreshadows the modern popular conspiracy theory of Phil allegedly ordering Diana's death.
So you can read multiple things into the stag bit, but the Diana/stag connection/mirroring is undeniable imo (the Phil conspiracy aside).

As soon as Diana showed up at Balmoral I knew she'd be the one to take the stag down.

I liked Olivia this season quite a bit, much better than last. HBC I always liked as Margaret.
The cast this series was altogether fanastic.

I don't get why they made such a faithful copy of Diana's wedding dress and then we saw so little of it? I was a bit disappointed by that.

Also disappointed by the portrayal of Camilla as his only mistress. She wasn't his only. He had more. Eg Kanga.

Also disappointed at Charles's portrayal as father, he was a better father than publicly known/shown. Much warmer and more caring, though yes, Harry's birth eg was scheduled to fit his polo...

I liked that they showed that the "Diana's mad" stories came from Charles's camp. That is, allegedly, very true. (In the same way women now are described as "crazy" for wanting texts back etc, you know the stories when guys admit their ex wasn't in fact all that crazy? They behaved like dicks and drove the woman into madness during the relationship? That.)

I think the protrayal of Liz as mother was spot on. It has been said for a long time that she wasn't the best mother, in the way shown pretty much. (absent, cold, never gets involved with anything, buries her head in the sand)

Some things were I think changed to compensate for the few episodes they had, but too much history. It's called "The Crown", so the focus is Liz and then around her a lot happened, obvs they can't faithfully recreate the whole Charles/Diana/Camilla relationship, that's why I think that even if in reality they weren't in touch for 5 years, they omitted this in the show, as he was allegedly during the honeymoon constantly on the phone to Camilla. [awfully phrased, but I think you get my drift]

I hated Diana's wedding anniversary gift in the 9th episode, I think they overshot it a bit with that one.

I wish in the last series they'd shown a bit more how Margaret and Tony's marriage fell apart, how vile they were towards each other.

Oh and one last thing: I hate how docile, nice and sweet they portray the queen mum. She wasn't like that. She gave Diana a massive bollocking for wearing a black dress during the engagament, as "black is only ever worn for mourning" and the cleavage was too tart-like. (that black velvet dress at the opear or some bday party or what it was)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
I think it’s a shame the guy who played Charles won’t be in the next one - he was really good.

I found the series a bit “meh” if I’m honest. A bit too centric on Margaret Thatcher and Charles & Dianah

and Tom Burke should have been in it more because he is a god.

I hated the scenes of the stag, really pulled at my heart strings and can’t bare to watch animal cruelty

didn’t like the Margaret thatcher scenes, found the actress really annoying and switched off during those bits

I agree that the actress playing the queen in the first two series was much softer and more likeable but I think the idea is to show how hardened the queen has had to become during her time on the throne, and don’t forget having to put up with all Philips cheating

Im on episode 2 and already Margaret thatcher is getting on my wick i really don't mean to be rude but shes talking so slow and husky and rather stiff looking.