The Crown - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just watched No.3
I thought that I would have a problem with HBC playing Margaret but she is fab (and a funny shape).
Its Olivia Coleman who I am struggling with, but Claire Foy was so perfect for the role, not sure that anyone could replace her.

Reactions: 7
I started last year but couldn't get into it. Picked it up this week again and am almost finished season 1. Really loving it.

Reactions: 4
Just watched No.3
I thought that I would have a problem with HBC playing Margaret but she is fab (and a funny shape).
Its Olivia Coleman who I am struggling with, but Claire Foy was so perfect for the role, not sure that anyone could replace her.
Claire Foy could act with her face. OC is amazing but just has one look on her face.

Reactions: 5
It is fantastic, so invested in it. Actually believe that I am watching the actual queen and royal family.

Reactions: 6
Claire Foy could act with her face. OC is amazing but just has one look on her face.
OC is in too many dramas. That’s the problem I have with her. She’s everybloodywhere. And very toothy. Recently In Fleabag and the Night Manager. She’s ubiquitous.

Reactions: 3
So far I am seeing a lot of people not liking Olivia Colman as The Queen and they say her accent is bad. Claire Foy is so beautiful and delicate and Olivia Colman doesn't really have that? I'm not a huge fan of OC though. This might sound weird...but Claire Foy makes me actually feel like I am watching the queen. I have seen Olivia Colman and she really just looks like someone playing dress-up. haha.

Reactions: 8
I absolutely love The Crown! I didn’t really get into Downton, watched it a bit but I think maybe I wasn’t in the right frame of mind to see it through? Claire Foy and Matt Smith were just fantastic, Claire better than Matt but then I liked him in DW so I wonder if I was just waiting for him to spin around and put a fez on I think the new Prince Philip has really leaned into the blithering way of real PP. OC is fine but I’m not convinced there wasn’t a better choice out there.
The Aberfan episode had me in tears. Such a tragic accident.

What are all your feelings on the rumour that Imelda Staunton will be taking over the role of Queen for series 5 & 6?

She could pull off that hats and the Queen’s love of bright pastel coloured outfits at the very least.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’m not convinced personally but then I wasn’t by the thought of Olivia Coleman but think she did a good job.

started binge watching Outlander on prime and have to say that i'm so glad i managed to watch the crown first as i would see Randall instead of Prince Philip the whole time . brilliant actor.

I have to say, as much as I count The Crown as one of my absolute favourite shows ever, and as much as I adore Olivia Colman and was looking forward to her portrayal... now I've watched all of s3, I'm really not sure she was the right choice.

I don't mind that she looks nothing like Elizabeth II at any stage of her life (I can even forgive the brown eyes). What I do mind about her aesthetic is that it's just, well, so *Olivia*. Colman has such a unique face; people often call it expressive, but I find it's exactly the opposite: it's always so *unexpressive*, so shark-eyed and open-mouthed, that it's carte blanche for any emotion you wish to paint over it. And yet, ironically, this same doe-eyed gaping toothy face never gives any clue whatsoever as to what the real Elizabeth might be thinking. Whereas Claire Foy presents a masterclass in learned expressionlessness hiding true emotion, Colman presents simple expressionlessness with no emotion.

Helena Bonham Carter does better, but only because she gets to play Helena Bonham Carter. Princess Margaret is a gift of a role and you'd have to be a moron to mess up that part.

The true revelations in season 3 are the men. Tobias Menzies - someone I never particularly rated on Game of Thrones - does a PHENOMENAL job with Prince Phillip. And Josh O'Connor deserves every award going for his pitiable, sympathetic, yet somehow proud portrayal of Prince Charles.

Reactions: 8
This is so true. Claire Foy was an absolute wonder to watch, I didn’t realise how much the subtle poignancy of her acting made the show until it was gone. That and her charisma with Matt smith. I love Olivia Colman in general so am feeling a little disappointed but I’m only two episodes in. And prince Phil... I just don’t believe him yet. He’s so stiff where Matt Smith was so loose. He’s too short but that’s just a contributing factor to the feeling I get of someone playing a role rather than inhabiting it like their predecessors...I know it’s always difficult taking over things like this and have learnt to love new actors on doctor who, James Bond etc ....but lots of the comments here seem similar....
Will I learn to love the new cast in their own way ?

Reactions: 1
We’ve just started series 2, husband is bored of it now but I’m loving it!

I have to say, as much as I count The Crown as one of my absolute favourite shows ever, and as much as I adore Olivia Colman and was looking forward to her portrayal... now I've watched all of s3, I'm really not sure she was the right choice.

I don't mind that she looks nothing like Elizabeth II at any stage of her life (I can even forgive the brown eyes). What I do mind about her aesthetic is that it's just, well, so *Olivia*. Colman has such a unique face; people often call it expressive, but I find it's exactly the opposite: it's always so *unexpressive*, so shark-eyed and open-mouthed, that it's carte blanche for any emotion you wish to paint over it. And yet, ironically, this same doe-eyed gaping toothy face never gives any clue whatsoever as to what the real Elizabeth might be thinking. Whereas Claire Foy presents a masterclass in learned expressionlessness hiding true emotion, Colman presents simple expressionlessness with no emotion.

Helena Bonham Carter does better, but only because she gets to play Helena Bonham Carter. Princess Margaret is a gift of a role and you'd have to be a moron to mess up that part.

The true revelations in season 3 are the men. Tobias Menzies - someone I never particularly rated on Game of Thrones - does a PHENOMENAL job with Prince Phillip. And Josh O'Connor deserves every award going for his pitiable, sympathetic, yet somehow proud portrayal of Prince Charles.
I agree a bit, I still love Olivia Colman, but after watching all of series 3 I was left slightly wanting from the portrayal of the Queen.

Josh O'Connor - after my brain remembered he was no longer a horny gay sheep farmer but Prince Charles - was amazing, played Charles in a way that people would be so sympathetic to.

Reactions: 2
I really haven't enjoyed S3 at all. I really don't give a hoot about the Queen going to France to look at housing her horses and it went down hill from there so bad I didn't bother with the last 3 episodes

Thought I’d bump this up as the new series starts soon.

The latest trailer:

Im going to watch a few of the last episodes to keep me up to scratch before the new series starts 😊😊