The Chateau Diaries #72 Winter is coming

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
And as someone here pointed out, her family seems to be decent folks. I'm guessing she and her mother escaped that abusive relationship with her father in Norway to start anew. Good for them! But you're right, that's no excuse for freeloading and grifting.

Also, noticeably, Marie's new vlog format is very similar to Nikki Positano's!

Alright, Tattler's! Time for Friday night party! What're you all having for aperitifs? ;) 🥂🥂
i am having a good red french wine..from our neighbours in Sancerre..had the most dreadfull day....rushing one of my unmarried aunts to hospital...i gave myself a week off....havent been able to enjoy one day off it..

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
And as someone here pointed out, her family seems to be decent folks. I'm guessing she and her mother escaped that abusive relationship with her father in Norway to start anew. Good for them! But you're right, that's no excuse for freeloading and grifting.

Also, noticeably, Marie's new vlog format is very similar to Nikki Positano's!

Alright, Tattler's! Time for Friday night party! What're you all having for aperitifs? ;) 🥂🥂
Working late😣. And not feeling well. Wearing a mask of course. Saw the doctor yesterday....just a sinus infection.
But have fun you all! Drink a bunch for me!!! And Congratulations to @toilingwiththetoile and PRB!!! Forgive me but I can't remember all your names. I would love to call you Peanut Butter. Easier for me to remember. And I love me some peanut butter. Welcome to the gang!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
I'm making salted nut roll bars for my son who is willing to go up on my roof for me tomorrow. This makes me sad because they are so yummy but I can't eat peanuts or peanut butter anymore.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
we are also a community of many different first-speaking languages, so mis-spellings aren't always. For instance, defence is Canadian/English vs defense American English, etc. No worries here about language judgement! I can only speak/write in one :(
My problem is that as someone who speaks english as a second language, I have picked up a bit from here and there.. American, Canadian, British, even some Aussie... I even confuse myself sometimes when trying to spell things 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 17
@witchgrass has gone MIA too

i spell so many things wrong...dont bother with it..its about the message..
yup, it’s all about the content for many of us…but keep in mind that someone here wants others to be very precise especially when we write something that isn’t in our first language, but don’t worry, they’re polite enough to not correct us upfront.😝😬

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
I think she said she was meeting her mother and her brothers. Her mum could have been a teenager when she had Marie and she may be around SJ's age now. Don't know about the man, he certainly looked much older but she did say that her mother and her husband lived in Kettering.

Dan seems to be in a German speaking country!
i am not a geography expert, but he often does when going to Ikea. He probably crosses the Switzerland boarder somewhere and then re-enters France to be faster?

• Wow
Reactions: 5
So interesting! Googled and it is 6-8 generations, or 150-200 year ... there is a YDNA or mtDNA that can take you back to your ancient ancestors!

A few tidbits from the live chat! :)

Catherine HYet another Christie’s vlog? Will they ever end?

Catherine HHow many of there Christie’s vlogs are there?

Franz Jethro RiveraI hope nobody will be mad for me or attac me, i love the furnitures but the wall paper choice for this room is for me a bit too tacky.

Cat T.Another Christie’s infomercial. No thanks.
LOL ONE OF THOSE COMMENTS ARE MIND😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Maybe those boys with FRK's mom were nephews???
They appeared to be 9 or 10.
FRK is 30.
Her mom would have had to be really young having her and midlife having those boys.
I thought that was FRK's grandpa....the way her mom was helping him down the stairs at the restaurant.
First thing I notice about her mum is that her teeth are lovely. All orthodontic work for children under 18 is free (was she in England then?) and I should think in Norway too. But you can get treatment at any age for misalignment. There really is no excuse for that mess she has going on.
She showed a couple of very short sequences with her fam. So maybe it's not good to make assumptions. But I felt they were distant and detached. FRK feels like an orphan to me.

Afterwards she was weepy - apparently for another reason.
I am just sad after watching the whole 14+mins and I don't really know why....

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
First thing I notice about her mum is that her teeth are lovely. All orthodontic work for children under 18 is free (was she in England then?) and I should think in Norway too. But you can get treatment at any age for misalignment. There really is no excuse for that mess she has going on.
She showed a couple of very short sequences with her fam. So maybe it's not good to make assumptions. But I felt they were distant and detached. FRK feels like an orphan to me.

Afterwards she was weepy - apparently for another reason.
I am just sad after watching the whole 14+mins and I don't really know why....
wow, you're right about mom's teeth! I just remember feeling shocked her mom looks so young. Her mom looks very vibrant and together in that little bit we see.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I've often been quite astounded at how family stories actually do hold key kernels of truth. And there's nothing better than old written records.
I've held off getting a DNA test because, despite the hype, they're still patchy and quite vague in some respects and for some regions.
I haven't done an actual DNA test, just seen the family records. But I may do the test someday!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Can you be more precise about what you're wanting of family history? To find out about your own family? Or something more general? (TBH I'm not sure what a night school can really show you that you can't do already!)
If you're looking specifically for your own recent British ancestors (from 1837 when registration was made compulsory) you could start here
FREE BMD - https://www.freebmd.org.uk/
FREE CEN - https://www.freecen.org.uk/
(I've transcribed many census and other records for these two).
FAMILY SEARCH - https://www.familysearch.org/en/

If you haven't already watched these, I'd recommend:
Who do you think you are? (
UK TV series on notable people's family history - it's a bit light and doesn't show much how to DIY in depth)
Finding your roots
(Prof. Henry Louis Gates Jnr - US TV series on notable people's family history - shows how proper research is done and use of DNA testing. I really like this one, Prof Gates is a proper academic and usually gets to the heart of things!)

Note that all these programmes invariably become tearjerkers! It's often very moving when you find real evidence of your forebears and some of the facts of their lives and struggles.

Enjoy!!
Yes know both series and they are great. Loved even the episode with Boris! 😆

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.