The Chateau Diaries #7 Chateaux ignored, add to the hoard

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Prepare yourselves for more groundhog days in the near future. Not sure I can bear to see SJ and PP choosing which dinner service and tablecoth to use for New Year's Eve dinner, and Marie doing the florals for the table. Maybe everyone will have to be given a New Year's present. Good job Gerry's not there or we'd have to watch first footing with pieces of coal, sourdough bread, and litres of whisky. Perhaps Marie will do a Goddess Worskhop where everyone writes down their NY resolutions, (e.g. I will not buy any more porcelain; I don't need another gown; I will get up at 7a.m.; I will try to stop my fake gushing; I will lable the decorations boxes so I don't have to buy thousands of new tree lights next December; I will pay for the restoration of my own home; I will stop acting like a five year old; I won't accept free labour). Then, on 6th Jan, there'll be a cake with a hidden object in it and the finder will get a paper crown; there may be dancing round the tree in Scandinavian style before it's thrown out; there may be a visit to the chapel and a chance for SJ to warble "We three Kings". Brace yoursleves for all that. Then, it'll revert to more Cadeaux opening and Brocante visits (if it's open) until it's Easter party time or time for Madame to jet off on holiday and have another spendfest! I can't wait.
I think St Joseph's day is in March. According to wikipedia it's a tradition to decorate an alter (sigh Marie again) wear red and carry around dried fava beans. Time to get the good red dress out again with the big leg split, last seen on Kitty Kat.

Reactions: 6
Whilst I agree that it is important to be fair, I do believe that she is placing more focus on religion than in her pre-patreon life. There was, as I understand it, no crib in the chateau for the last 14 years, and the surge in her popularity coincides with her vlogs discussing restoration projects, especially of the chapel.

Perhaps this is not conscious? Perhaps this is just responding to the numerous viewers, whose comments reveal the importance of religion for them, and she merely wishes to give her viewers and patrons what they want? This is all speculation on our part - but the reality of a new found focus on religion is not to be disputed. Moreover, who are those most likely to be religious? In Europe, I can assure you that the older generation are the most religious, and often those who are lonely are the ones who seek comfort in her vlogs. The withdrawal symptoms demonstrated by some superfans only affirms the emptiness of their lives. COVID-19 has created a microcosm of misery for the lonely and, indeed, she has given them great comfort... but at what cost?
I am sure attached was posted by Superfans on Actual Christmas Day! That’s super sad....

Attachments

• Haha
  • Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 12
One of my cringe worthy videos was one Selmar posted. Yoga in the chapel.

LOTL left excellent bread crumbs for the nativity set, size and fabric details.. it's all calculated.

I just want entertainment not a shakedown

• Heart
Reactions: 10
That's beyond cringe!!! Reminds me of the days when you'd buy a BOP Magazine and it would have have quizzes like that. I hate to say it, but I have a feeling that this will come crashing down on Stephanie and the likes in the future. Especially if Dan had to block comments and people are getting pissy about things. Not cool at all.
There must have been really quite a lot negative comments for him to close the comment section. Otherwise he could have just deleted any single "troll" comment. So there is hope that not all the fans have their brain switched off.

Reactions: 8
I also don’t believe that the Spode comes out of Patreon money. This is going to be used for the panelling and the lake. She has to use the money for restoration by law as I understand it.
[/QUOTE
Not sure anyone said the Spode came out of Patreon money?
I've just caught up on the last 24 hours of posts and I'm exhausted! I have noticed that Brenda's tone is particularly jubilant at the moment and also her number of subscribers has gone up massively and C-bomb's has gone down so I expect that has something to do with it.

In the spirit of fairness I wanted to say that I don't think Stephanie is particularly targeting the old, lonely or vulnerable. People give her things of their own free will - no-one has to send her anything. Her channel is available completely free of charge for anyone who wants to watch it. People send gifts as a thank you because Stephanie's vlogs give them pleasure.

And let me just add (before I'm accused of being a superfan!) that I'm saying this from the position of someone who can't actually watch Cadeaux at the Chateau as I find it way too cringey, awkward and over the top. I also think that the excessive thanks for everything are insincere because a lot of what they get sent really is crap. When someone is overly effusive and gives rapturous praise for every single thing it just devalues the currency.
You are a nicer person than me. I don't think SJ gives a flying fig who is gifting her. Just so long as she keeps getting free stuff with a note which she can read out saying how lovely she is & how great her channel in these dark times is blah blah. If she really cared about it she'd stop it. Saying, we have enough things. We are so very grateful for everything you have sent us but we know how times are hard for everyone at the moment etc. Not that difficult is it. But is nothing to do with whether she gets a peacock brooch from Mavis in Wyoming or a handknitted tea cosy from Joan in Scunthorpe or some tea from Fortnum & Mason it's just to get stuff, more stuff and more and more validation that she's so lovely that what can you do..but keep letting people worship you by sending more bloody stuff.....

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I am sure attached was posted by Superfans on Actual Christmas Day! That’s super sad....
Haha, they should have come to tattle, we posted every day here😂😂😂❤

I think St Joseph's day is in March. According to wikipedia it's a tradition to decorate an alter (sigh Marie again) wear red and carry around dried fava beans. Time to get the good red dress out again with the big leg split, last seen on Kitty Kat.
Oh no, now fans will send tons of beans

• Haha
Whilst I agree that it is important to be fair, I do believe that she is placing more focus on religion than in her pre-patreon life. There was, as I understand it, no crib in the chateau for the last 14 years, and the surge in her popularity coincides with her vlogs discussing restoration projects, especially of the chapel.

Perhaps this is not conscious? Perhaps this is just responding to the numerous viewers, whose comments reveal the importance of religion for them, and she merely wishes to give her viewers and patrons what they want? This is all speculation on our part - but the reality of a new found focus on religion is not to be disputed. Moreover, who are those most likely to be religious? In Europe, I can assure you that the older generation are the most religious, and often those who are lonely are the ones who seek comfort in her vlogs. The withdrawal symptoms demonstrated by some superfans only affirms the emptiness of their lives. COVID-19 has created a microcosm of misery for the lonely and, indeed, she has given them great comfort... but at what cost?
I followed a Youtuber who did travel vlogs (tormenting myself with places I wanted to visit) and he knew exactly which type of videos netted him the most revenue. So if he went shopping in a local market, or filmed local food being cooked & then him eating it they did well. Although he prefers to do the more history of a place than those types of vlogs & couldn't understand why people wanted to watch him eat - he knew they made him money. So she will have the stats from what does well, so it is perfectly possible that if she sees how singing in the chapel, nativity etc gives her good figures then she's going to capitalise on it.

Haha, they should have come to tattle, we posted every day here😂😂😂❤

Oh no, now fans will send tons of beans
I think SJ would be hoping more for red designer dresses with matching shoes & handbags!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I know my humour is not everyone's but I can not stop watching Dana's son ask PJJ his name, "sorry who?". Such validation that La La Lande is it's own small universe and the regular characters are orbiting. I do hope the introduction to Nic was filmed.

• Haha
  • Heart
Directly above this on Brenda’s page is this. Wouldn’t it be great if this or another charity was adopted by SJ who could ask for donations to this instead of useless gifts or MP instead of his go fund me vanity projects. I was so upset when I read this earlier because this is in my opinion is. What go fund me should be used for.
I am so upset at peoples selfishness that I’mprobably not as articulate as I could be writing this post.
if it is any comfort, the ad revenue from all the Chateau Unwrapped videos does go to charity. She has said the amounts from each month and what charities they went to. I do understand the point you’re trying to make about how gofundmes are used and abused by some.

After seeing the latest Instagram post I feel like we may never get the full story behind the missing Xmas vlog, because she obviously was filming. I still wonder why there was no explanation *beforehand* about how there would be no video. My guess is it’s something personal and probably none of my business lol. But I do hope it’s because someone advised her to not show a large gathering full of people traveling from all over, unmasked. Here in the US a lot of youtubers/tiktokers are being judged for similar behavior.
Also I don’t mind Antoine getting to participate in the gift openings, it’s been a tough year - let him be spoiled :)

I'm glad someone had the guts to come out and say something. How sad, waiting around all day??? "Worrying about Stephanie?" Oh please, she doesn't do anything that would require us to worry about her. And as far as Selmar's vlogs go, uber boring to say the least.

Reactions: 11
if it is any comfort, the ad revenue from all the Chateau Unwrapped videos does go to charity. She has said the amounts from each month and what charities they went to. I do understand the point you’re trying to make about how gofundmes are used and abused by some.

After seeing the latest Instagram post I feel like we may never get the full story behind the missing Xmas vlog, because she obviously was filming. I still wonder why there was no explanation *beforehand* about how there would be no video. My guess is it’s something personal and probably none of my business lol. But I do hope it’s because someone advised her to not show a large gathering full of people traveling from all over, unmasked. Here in the US a lot of youtubers/tiktokers are being judged for similar behavior.
Also I don’t mind Antoine getting to participate in the gift openings, it’s been a tough year - let him be spoiled :)
Princess Stef may live in a fantasy princess world, swirling & twirling Covid around the chatooooo but if all she is worried about is looking bad then she needs to realise that what she has done IS bad. It goes against French government advice & is extremely galling to see her disregard for how people who have stuck by the rules & cannot see family or people who are in hospital etc. Unless every single person had a negative Covid test before they walked in the door & all those inside had one at the same time then there is a risk. As for Antoine I think it spoils a child to be over indulgent. I am sure he's not done too badly from his well off parents. Perhaps those gifts could be sent to a childrens' home.

Reactions: 16
Princess Stef may live in a fantasy princess world, swirling & twirling Covid around the chatooooo but if all she is worried about is looking bad then she needs to realise that what she has done IS bad. It goes against French government advice & is extremely galling to see her disregard for how people who have stuck by the rules & cannot see family or people who are in hospital etc. Unless every single person had a negative Covid test before they walked in the door & all those inside had one at the same time then there is a risk. As for Antoine I think it spoils a child to be over indulgent. I am sure he's not done too badly from his well off parents. Perhaps those gifts could be sent to a childrens' home.

Well said!!! I don't think Stephanie seems to care all that much, as long as that Patreon money pours in. Which is really upsetting as people are suffering and in dire need of funds to survive. As for that kid, yeah I remember back in the summer somebody sent him a drone? WTF??? His mother should step in and put a stop to that.

if it is any comfort, the ad revenue from all the Chateau Unwrapped videos does go to charity. She has said the amounts from each month and what charities they went to.
I think the charity donation is a bit of a red herring. Okay, Stephanie spends her time filming herself opening the presents and editing (if she doesn't have a volunteer there to edit the videos) but apart from that she is getting the benefit of the gifts AND the benefit of looking generous by making the donations to charity. It's the fans who are paying for the gifts and postage to send them and therefore creating the content.

A lot of the stuff is tat but some does have a value like the Tiffany items/porcelain and things like the clothes/not appalling art work/champagne/luxury spirits also mean she doesn't have to buy that stuff for herself.

Maybe I'm too cynical and of course the money going to charity is a good thing. Just reminds me of wealthy people going to a ball for some charitable cause and a fortune is spent on evening gowns and suits, food, drinks, venue hire etc but everyone can give themselves a pat on the back because a few thousand was raised for charity.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Absolutely agree gathering and no masks etc are very scary, and jarring to see. Hope it didn’t come across as I did not feel that way. Was more opining on if someone had to remind her of that fact and say “you can’t show this”

I think the charity donation is a bit of a red herring. Okay, Stephanie spends her time filming herself opening the presents and editing (if she doesn't have a volunteer there to edit the videos) but apart from that she is getting the benefit of the gifts AND the benefit of looking generous by making the donations to charity. It's the fans who are paying for the gifts and postage to send them and therefore creating the content.

A lot of the stuff is tat but some does have a value like the Tiffany items/porcelain and things like the clothes/not appalling art work/champagne/luxury spirits also mean she doesn't have to buy that stuff for herself.

Maybe I'm too cynical and of course the money going to charity is a good thing. Just reminds me of wealthy people going to a ball for some charitable cause and a fortune is spent on evening gowns and suits, food, drinks, venue hire etc but everyone can give themselves a pat on the back because a few thousand was raised for charity.
Most of the stuff comes from the US, Australia and Canada and you have to pay import duty on those parcels. Galling if they contain only tat.

As for those sad people hanging around for a Christmas Day video, I am sure SJ mentioned several times in advance that she was creating 24 vlogs in the lead up to Christmas. Last year it was meant to be 24 and she added the Christmas Day one as a last-minute bonus. So people expected one even though that wasn’t on the table...

Reactions: 9
I don’t think it matters how the Spode is funded. It’s grating that she is spending excessive amounts of money on porcelain while she’s accepting thousands of pounds in her online begging bowl every month.

Even if she never purchased another plate again, she would be fine. She wastes so much cash on indulgent personal belongings: she could easily fund the lake and panelling on her own.
This was exactly the point I tried to make earlier. English is not my first language and you articulated it much better. It was dreadfully self-indulgent that she bought a FURTHER set of dinner China (gold fleur de lys ) when she is already inundated with a variety of porcelain sets. As someone here pointed out (sorry can’t recall name) she can indulge herself with a vast array of none-essential items and this is directly because she’s raking in Patreon money that can be directed towards things that she no longer has to fork out for.

The reckless spending and gift grab in particular is Vulgar ! Vulgar! Vulgar ! What is really offensive is her pulling in the nativity scene on the table and also using the chapel with (yet more spending) the expensive nativity figures which feels so fake.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Absolutely agree gathering and no masks etc are very scary, and jarring to see. Hope it didn’t come across as I did not feel that way. Was more opining on if someone had to remind her of that fact and say “you can’t show this”
No I got what you meant. But, I think she may be hiding her activities, rather than curtailing them. So all the crowd is still there but shes just limiting what is seen on screen. Even more duplicitous. I know a lot of people were turned off by the narcissistic personality disorder, but this is a classic trait. Rules don't apply to them. I note that Nic & family have now arrived which makes the situation even worse - even if other people from the Xmas party have left. When I saw what was happening on Xmas Eve I was beyond angry. I guess it is time for me to leave as I won't have any content to criticise!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
I have unsubscribed to the chateau vloggers. I am appalled by their bottomless pit of opportunism that targets those who are a little lonely and vulnerable. If the vloggers could content themselves with the income generated by the videos through ads, likes, and subscribes then I would be OK with that. It has, however, degenerated into a pile of steaming you-know-what, where I almost expect someone to take the Burberry cap or tiara off their head and hold it out like Oliver Twist. Please sir, can I have some more? Their true colours are coming out as people begin to question the very thin veneer of saving this or restoring that--nasty language, borderline bullying and the exploitation of volunteers who end up doing laundry for a for-profit business (AKA slavery) instead of working on the restoration of a building as implied in the PR. To be fair, it took a while for me to clue into this. At first, there was the Louis Vuitton laptop case, then the LV handbag, but the clincher for me was the Fortnum & Mason hamper at Christmas and now Dan's hairbrained idea to cash in on people's good will with a chateau/community center in the middle of nowhere. My unsolicited advice for anyone who wants to do free building work that is helpful to others is to contact Habitat for Humanity. Donate to a good cause in your own community; if you are lonely, volunteer at a food bank. If you are depressed or anxious, talk to a friend, or better yet, go for a walk if you can. If you are bored, take a free online course. These guys aren't a charity. That little dopamine hit you get when one of them sticks a little heart emoji on your comment or when they tell you (and all their other viewers) how much it means to them that you like, then subscribe, then buy them a coffee, then donate to their Go Fund Me, then become a patron, then become a paying guest at their chateau, after having paid for a plane ticket, rented a car to drive out to the middle of nowhere, to find out that the renovations and restorations have all been shoddily done, and you don't even get to hang out with your hero/heroine might not be worth the investment of your own precious time and money. Vloggers are not real. It is a TV show.
It’s a social phenomenon that works both ways. SJ knows full well how to pull the right strings to pacify people’s sense of belonging, perhaps to fulfill her own. After all, besides her Oxford degree, it doesn’t seem she has achieved anything by herself. A job interview? A trip abroad by herself maybe? How does charisma work when you’re alone? When people don’t know how to be on their own, materialism fills the void, and it is a useful way to keep people by one’s side (along with a fair amount of social lubricants), all the while making it seem as they are all part of 'something bigger than themselves’. It is a self sustaining mechanism fueled by connectivity. In these strange times people are coping with things anyway they can or know how... We might be expecting too much out of this chatelaine and her crew.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.