The Chateau Diaries #7 Chateaux ignored, add to the hoard

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What to do when you want to become a youtuber?
1. Choose a field of expertise (doesn't matter if you are an amateur, dilettante, greenhorn, beginner, newcomer, rookie... Just say you are passionate about it)
2. Find a catchy channel name
3. Film an intro with drone shots
5. Create a website with links to all your other social media accounts
6. Open following accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter,...
7. Create patreon and buymeacoffee account (only because your 12 viewers asked for it, of course)
8. Once your second video aired make a Q&A video talking about your other passions (hobbies, favourite food,...) Don't forget to mention what right now is not in your budget)
6. Start a gofundme
7. If you don't have no time/ideas for making content get a cute pet and film him instead

What did I forget?
8. Appoint random superfans from far off places to become OFFICIAL Facebook fan page admins and merchandisers and confuse the tit out of everyone by playing them off against each other, just for fun.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
And let’s not forget she said she was also not shy to tell viewers she was ‘collecting gold Fleurs de Lys Spode’ ... initially buying soup plates in one vlog ... but that was literally only for a starter as a few vlogs later we see her unwrapping a whole STASH of more plates from the director of Spode Museum (I think she said). This woman has so much porcelain and so many dinner services, that she is installing a China Pantry. I was flabbergasted that she had the gall to show further acquisitions . No Shame AT ALL ....
I think the dishes have always been part of her BNB schtick. I have relatives who also collect Spode and it piles up in storage boxes (and boxes) with one plate displayed. Granted their income isn't a youtube channel watched by 100k people, and the gifts they receive aren't from viewers.

Reactions: 8
I 100% agree with the comment about there being some very vulnerable people watching the vlogs. People maybe with very few close family or friends, lonely and alone who view these vloggers as their community, their friends, and they think they are helping them. It really does beggar belief that the likes of SJ, the Trotters, and now even Dan who has a job as does his missus with her hair business, putting their privileged paws out and asking strangers to give them money, to pay for renovations for their homes (or in SJ’s case to pay for viciously expensive and quite ugly vintage fabric for her bedroom) I just cannot get my head around these patrons thinking this is an altruistic way to use their “disposable” income.. they must do it in the belief that their money somehow gives them a place in these peoples lives. They are being conned and these disgusting people are snickering all the way to the bank. SJ’s walloping spending spree with BJJ - the bespoke chocolates alone that they shoved down their gullets on the ride home would have cost a bomb! Patrons pay for supposed renovations so that the SJ’s and her ilk can spend their own money on lavish treats... and not a cent on their homes or businesses!
I must admit that I considered sending her some stuff lying around I thought she might like, just because she seems so genuinely appreciative and grateful. Why throw it away even if it's valuable if nobody wants it? Then rather pay the postage to have it sent to someone who seems to make use of it. But I would not donate to a go fund me, but then I don't donate to any cause for several reasons. What I do is volunteering though, actually several hours a week.
I do pay 5 euros for her patreon since I feel I get something out of it in return, to me it is like buying a magazine for a train ride.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
1. Choose a field of expertise (doesn't matter if you are an amateur, dilettante, greenhorn, beginner, newcomer, rookie... Just say you are passionate about it)
In the case of American mormons, you can just be mormon and have a ton of blonde children. No other skills necessary!

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Ok everyone Nic is back at Chateau. Watch the restraint and some decorum return to proceedings.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I have unsubscribed to the chateau vloggers. I am appalled by their bottomless pit of opportunism that targets those who are a little lonely and vulnerable. If the vloggers could content themselves with the income generated by the videos through ads, likes, and subscribes then I would be OK with that. It has, however, degenerated into a pile of steaming you-know-what, where I almost expect someone to take the Burberry cap or tiara off their head and hold it out like Oliver Twist. Please sir, can I have some more? Their true colours are coming out as people begin to question the very thin veneer of saving this or restoring that--nasty language, borderline bullying and the exploitation of volunteers who end up doing laundry for a for-profit business (AKA slavery) instead of working on the restoration of a building as implied in the PR. To be fair, it took a while for me to clue into this. At first, there was the Louis Vuitton laptop case, then the LV handbag, but the clincher for me was the Fortnum & Mason hamper at Christmas and now Dan's hairbrained idea to cash in on people's good will with a chateau/community center in the middle of nowhere. My unsolicited advice for anyone who wants to do free building work that is helpful to others is to contact Habitat for Humanity. Donate to a good cause in your own community; if you are lonely, volunteer at a food bank. If you are depressed or anxious, talk to a friend, or better yet, go for a walk if you can. If you are bored, take a free online course. These guys aren't a charity. That little dopamine hit you get when one of them sticks a little heart emoji on your comment or when they tell you (and all their other viewers) how much it means to them that you like, then subscribe, then buy them a coffee, then donate to their Go Fund Me, then become a patron, then become a paying guest at their chateau, after having paid for a plane ticket, rented a car to drive out to the middle of nowhere, to find out that the renovations and restorations have all been shoddily done, and you don't even get to hang out with your hero/heroine might not be worth the investment of your own precious time and money. Vloggers are not real. It is a TV show.
This sums up perfectly how I feel about the Chateau vloggers. It's all pure greed now. I'm hoping boredom will set in with some subscribers and the Patreons/Gofundme people. There comes a point, surely, when you as a vlogger run out of things to say?!

I have unsubscribed to the chateau vloggers. I am appalled by their bottomless pit of opportunism that targets those who are a little lonely and vulnerable. If the vloggers could content themselves with the income generated by the videos through ads, likes, and subscribes then I would be OK with that. It has, however, degenerated into a pile of steaming you-know-what, where I almost expect someone to take the Burberry cap or tiara off their head and hold it out like Oliver Twist. Please sir, can I have some more? Their true colours are coming out as people begin to question the very thin veneer of saving this or restoring that--nasty language, borderline bullying and the exploitation of volunteers who end up doing laundry for a for-profit business (AKA slavery) instead of working on the restoration of a building as implied in the PR. To be fair, it took a while for me to clue into this. At first, there was the Louis Vuitton laptop case, then the LV handbag, but the clincher for me was the Fortnum & Mason hamper at Christmas and now Dan's hairbrained idea to cash in on people's good will with a chateau/community center in the middle of nowhere. My unsolicited advice for anyone who wants to do free building work that is helpful to others is to contact Habitat for Humanity. Donate to a good cause in your own community; if you are lonely, volunteer at a food bank. If you are depressed or anxious, talk to a friend, or better yet, go for a walk if you can. If you are bored, take a free online course. These guys aren't a charity. That little dopamine hit you get when one of them sticks a little heart emoji on your comment or when they tell you (and all their other viewers) how much it means to them that you like, then subscribe, then buy them a coffee, then donate to their Go Fund Me, then become a patron, then become a paying guest at their chateau, after having paid for a plane ticket, rented a car to drive out to the middle of nowhere, to find out that the renovations and restorations have all been shoddily done, and you don't even get to hang out with your hero/heroine might not be worth the investment of your own precious time and money. Vloggers are not real. It is a TV show.
Bravo! You’ve articulated exactly what is going here with these vloggers courting donations through patreon.

They are preying on lonely, needy people who feel they can buy the friendship of the Chatelaine or Chatelain. Meanwhile, the chatelain(e) rakes it in.

Surprised and disappointed by Dan’s half baked scheme to buy that ruin. It was supposed to be a “charity project”? A charity project for his family to live in a grand house, wtf....made no sense at all. So Dan will the money be refunded?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Wouldn't it be hilarious if SJ turned out to be pulling a Hiliaria Baldwin and wasn't half french after all, or the owner of a Chateau.

• Haha
  • Wow
2. Find a catchy channel name
3. Film an intro with drone shots
5. Create a website with links to all your other social media accounts
6. Open following accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter,...
7. Create patreon and buymeacoffee account (only because your 12 viewers asked for it, of course)
8. Once your second video aired make a Q&A video talking about your other passions (hobbies, favourite food,...) Don't forget to mention what right now is not in your budget)
6. Start a gofundme
7. If you don't have no time/ideas for making content get a cute pet and film him instead

What did I forget?

Also you don't see her in the comments 🤔🙄
I’m not all that au fait with live chats and what they mean when they say premiere? I only ever watch the vlogs at random times never at the time they are uploaded however I have noticed you never see a DB comment... perhaps the general subscriber vlogs are too low tier for her and she only comments on patrons vlogs...

Reactions: 4
OMG Let us finish off the year with a bonus gift-grab complete with poor Antoine exploitation and endorsement from the newly appointed Fairy Godmother Queen of Fansite Admins, the Donegal Discord Dear Brenda 🤪
Brenda really needs to get a life. I don't think that kid should be in those gift grabbing vlogs at all. So very tacky and sad all at the same time.

Reactions: 17
The chapel's only purpose is to add value to the château. Their concern for renovation is mainly for esthetic reasons, no one with a hint of spiritual inclination would have used the chapel as backstage for a Halloween party photo shoot...
thank you. I am not a religious person but that's just not to be done

Reactions: 7
I've just caught up on the last 24 hours of posts and I'm exhausted! I have noticed that Brenda's tone is particularly jubilant at the moment and also her number of subscribers has gone up massively and C-bomb's has gone down so I expect that has something to do with it.

In the spirit of fairness I wanted to say that I don't think Stephanie is particularly targeting the old, lonely or vulnerable. People give her things of their own free will - no-one has to send her anything. Her channel is available completely free of charge for anyone who wants to watch it. People send gifts as a thank you because Stephanie's vlogs give them pleasure.

And let me just add (before I'm accused of being a superfan!) that I'm saying this from the position of someone who can't actually watch Cadeaux at the Chateau as I find it way too cringey, awkward and over the top. I also think that the excessive thanks for everything are insincere because a lot of what they get sent really is crap. When someone is overly effusive and gives rapturous praise for every single thing it just devalues the currency.

Reactions: 25
I've just caught up on the last 24 hours of posts and I'm exhausted! I have noticed that Brenda's tone is particularly jubilant at the moment and also her number of subscribers has gone up massively and C-bomb's has gone down so I expect that has something to do with it.

In the spirit of fairness I wanted to say that I don't think Stephanie is particularly targeting the old, lonely or vulnerable. People give her things of their own free will - no-one has to send her anything. Her channel is available completely free of charge for anyone who wants to watch it. People send gifts as a thank you because Stephanie's vlogs give them pleasure.

And let me just add (before I'm accused of being a superfan!) that I'm saying this from the position of someone who can't actually watch Cadeaux at the Chateau as I find it way too cringey, awkward and over the top. I also think that the excessive thanks for everything are insincere because a lot of what they get sent really is crap. When someone is overly effusive and gives rapturous praise for every single thing it just devalues the currency.
I also don’t believe that the Spode comes out of Patreon money. This is going to be used for the panelling and the lake. She has to use the money for restoration by law as I understand it.

Reactions: 12
I don’t think it matters how the Spode is funded. It’s grating that she is spending excessive amounts of money on porcelain while she’s accepting thousands of pounds in her online begging bowl every month.

Even if she never purchased another plate again, she would be fine. She wastes so much cash on indulgent personal belongings: she could easily fund the lake and panelling on her own.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
OMG Let us finish off the year with a bonus gift-grab complete with poor Antoine exploitation and endorsement from the newly appointed Fairy Godmother Queen of Fansite Admins, the Donegal Discord Dear Brenda 🤪
Directly above this on Brenda’s page is this. Wouldn’t it be great if this or another charity was adopted by SJ who could ask for donations to this instead of useless gifts or MP instead of his go fund me vanity projects. I was so upset when I read this earlier because this is in my opinion is. What go fund me should be used for.
I am so upset at peoples selfishness that I’mprobably not as articulate as I could be writing this post.

Attachments

• Heart

Whilst I agree that it is important to be fair, I do believe that she is placing more focus on religion than in her pre-patreon life. There was, as I understand it, no crib in the chateau for the last 14 years, and the surge in her popularity coincides with her vlogs discussing restoration projects, especially of the chapel.

Perhaps this is not conscious? Perhaps this is just responding to the numerous viewers, whose comments reveal the importance of religion for them, and she merely wishes to give her viewers and patrons what they want? This is all speculation on our part - but the reality of a new found focus on religion is not to be disputed. Moreover, who are those most likely to be religious? In Europe, I can assure you that the older generation are the most religious, and often those who are lonely are the ones who seek comfort in her vlogs. The withdrawal symptoms demonstrated by some superfans only affirms the emptiness of their lives. COVID-19 has created a microcosm of misery for the lonely and, indeed, she has given them great comfort... but at what cost?

• Heart
Prepare yourselves for more groundhog days in the near future. Not sure I can bear to see SJ and PP choosing which dinner service and tablecoth to use for New Year's Eve dinner, and Marie doing the florals for the table. Maybe everyone will have to be given a New Year's present. Good job Gerry's not there or we'd have to watch first footing with pieces of coal, sourdough bread, and litres of whisky. Perhaps Marie will do a Goddess Worskhop where everyone writes down their NY resolutions, (e.g. I will not buy any more porcelain; I don't need another gown; I will get up at 7a.m.; I will try to stop my fake gushing; I will lable the decorations boxes so I don't have to buy thousands of new tree lights next December; I will pay for the restoration of my own home; I will stop acting like a five year old; I won't accept free labour). Then, on 6th Jan, there'll be a cake with a hidden object in it and the finder will get a paper crown; there may be dancing round the tree in Scandinavian style before it's thrown out; there may be a visit to the chapel and a chance for SJ to warble "We three Kings". Brace yoursleves for all that. Then, it'll revert to more Cadeaux opening and Brocante visits (if it's open) until it's Easter party time or time for Madame to jet off on holiday and have another spendfest! I can't wait.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.