The Chateau Diaries #5 Gin, sin & presents in the bin

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes, scrabbling around in a trunk of afterthought mishmash shite was an insult to the care that Marie had taken in her design and execution — even down to drying orange slices in Mummy’s drier...

But if he doesn’t do mornings, who is feeding them at the moment? Maybe that was a one off film opportunity...
I don’t think so. How would SJ know what any of the work away / volunteers are doing before noon anyway whilst lying in bed ? Maybe Selmar just doesn’t have much to say first thing in the morning?

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I don’t think so. How would SJ know what any of the work away / volunteers are doing before noon anyway whilst lying in bed ? Maybe Selmar just doesn’t have much to say first thing in the morning?
I imagine there’s a list of chores. I know there is a rota...

Reactions: 6
Selmar is very sweet, but incredibly B.O.R.I.N.G. Has anyone seen the videos he posts?

• Heart
Reactions: 8
What is clear is that SJ has Narcissistic Personality Disorder. She has all the traits. Superficially charming, creates favourites then drops them for a new one, leaving old favourites confused and needing to try to get their place back.
  • Excessive need for admiration. ...
  • Superficial and exploitative relationships. ...
  • Lack of empathy.
  • Must be the centre of attention
  • Relationships are based on surface attributes and not the unique qualities of others
  • People are only valued only to the extent they are viewed as beneficial
  • Relationships only exist to shore up positive self-image
  • Interactions are superficial
  • Has a sense of entitlement
Sounds like her doesn't it?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
I love to hate it and hate to love it.......but something keeps me watching...

Reactions: 9
I'm a day behind, so I've only just watched Day 7 - in the presence of my husband, which is going to become a serious problem because he has reached ZERO TOLERANCE for the whole thing 😩 I kept trying to point out what was interesting, like the pineapple, coconut and walnut cake - he grimaced. I said, "Philip is allergic to so many things... milk, nuts, citrus..." but he cut me off with, "He doesn't look like he's allergic to cock" 😳😳😳😳😳

He kept quiet then for a long while, until SJ started to moon over the way everyone was engrossed in the Dutch advent calendar, and then he quietly added, "Can you see here how cults start?"

😐😐😐 I'm watching by myself tomorrow
OMG he is so right 😂

What is clear is that SJ has Narcissistic Personality Disorder. She has all the traits. Superficially charming, creates favourites then drops them for a new one, leaving old favourites confused and needing to try to get their place back.
  • Excessive need for admiration. ...
  • Superficial and exploitative relationships. ...
  • Lack of empathy.
  • Must be the centre of attention
  • Relationships are based on surface attributes and not the unique qualities of others
  • People are only valued only to the extent they are viewed as beneficial
  • Relationships only exist to shore up positive self-image
  • Interactions are superficial
  • Has a sense of entitlement
Sounds like her doesn't it?
I wouldn't go that far to analyse somebody without even having met him and also with only seeing his persona he chooses to present on a YouTube channel. She seems pretty emphatic to me also has long term relationships. I don't see her exploiting people, you could also say people are exploiting her. What about all the volunteers coming but never leaving? Could be interpretated as some exploitation of her. Two other owners but only showing up for parties?

@MojoDublin I usually can't understand any of your posts because I don't know what all your emojis mean but I got the most recent one about Viva La Loca disappearing (which is sad). People do seem to come and go on here but I like to think that they still lurk even if they're not posting (hi to any lurkers).

With the advent calendar vlogs, I hated the ones in the bedroom as it didn't feel remotely festive having people vlogging from a bedroom in November. However now they've moved out of the bedroom they've improved although some of the content seems forced and lacks spontaneity. And whoever said Stephanie was giving off a Lauren Harries vibe the other day really made me laugh!

I know we're all very divided on here about Stephanie and some of the others but what I've noticed is how much everyone loves Nati. I guess she's just one of life's lovely people who never puts a foot wrong. I really hope someone has bought her a medieval dress for christmas.
Haha, I actually don't like her because she seems too perfect. I never trust people like her...

Last edited:
  • Heart
Ah, it has been so refreshing lately to read here, it makes me want to come out of lurking again - people finally catching on when it comes to the more disturbing parts of chateau life, commenters bringing up stuff I've been saying since the first Lalande forum thread, but usually got shouted down by tone-policing fans here. I THINK most of those fans have left by now, hmmm. Ah, such a balm to my soul to have the snark firmly back in this forum!

I find it incredibly hard to watch the advent videos. The magic definitely has gone for me, but then I have been struggling with Stephanie's behaviour since summer, noticing more and more weird stuff going on. I don't really see her as a full-blown narcissist (have one like that in the family so I know a bit about their mannerism), but she is unbelievably self-centered and feeds off other people's adoration. Her obsession with getting gifts is distasteful, she just seems to need copious amounts of "stuff" every day, piling up useless trash in abandoned, half-crumbling rooms that poor volunteers keep trying to empty out again, in an endless spiral of useless materialism. As so many here have said, she seems to be more about the idea of being a chatelaine than actually taking proper care of the chateau - anything that isn't glamorous just doesn't get done unless a poor volunteer puts energy into it, and even then S. so often seems to sabotage their efforts.

I hope someone is taking care of poor Ruby in this cold weather. I always felt uneasy seeing S. being so indifferent towards that sweet cat. And for god's sake Marie, LEAVE before this chateau sucks the last bit of energy and positivity out of you. She used to be so sweet, now she can't even smile anymore without looking exhausted afterwards.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Stephanie and Santa Claus..
How to put it...
She should have explained to her American superfans that Santa Claus and Saint Nicolas are the same and are celebrated not only in Netherlands but in Germany, Belgium (Flemish and French), Alsace (East of France), in the Flemish part of Northern France and by Russian and Greek orthodox churches.
The way she spoke of it in her vlog, you would think that she really believed that it was a Dutch thing only.
The same for the tradition of shoes put in front of the fireplace for Santa Claus and his presents.There's the same tradition in France !
Better not to mention the fact that she didn't know that Tannenbaum (originally a German Christmas song) was translated in french and is an old traditional Christmas song for the French as well.
So many things which proves that she knows nothing about France and the French culture. You wonder if her mother is really French TBH (which could explain why it is so difficult for her to get her french passport whereas it's automatically granted when one of your parents is French).
She said to her superfans that she already had a French passport but it was too difficult and "time consuming" to renew it and it was easier for her to get an Irish passport (an Irish grandmother somewhere) ! The process to get the Irish citizenship costs 1000 euros BTW.
FYI it's extremely easy to renew a French passport even if you don't live in France, which is not her case (is Lalande still in France ? 🤔)
Rant over.
About MP.... I've given up with him. He got some comments from French DIY people in his vlogs saying that the French standards (safety and hazards strict rules) are not respected in his job at the cottage. Of course, he always has good reasons to explain why. Hopeless.
Breaking news : Billy announced in the P. comments that a second child is on the way.
What do you mean with French TBH? 🤔 Yeah to baby on the way!

Gahhhhh... Day 9: Imagine having to sit through an episode of 'The Crown' with SJ chipping in with her HiStOricAL FaCtOiDs every 40 seconds 🤓🇬🇧

• Haha
  • Heart
What do you mean with French TBH? 🤔 Yeah to baby on the way!
Just wonder if Isabelle is really a French citizen.
She has never taught her daughter anything about French culture, hardly about French language.
And the difficulties for Stephanie to "renew' or get her french passport doesn't make sense if her mother is French.
Nothing adds up.
(TBH is for "To Be Honest")

• Heart
Yet another verse

Can totally identify with Jeff Goldblum's face when SJ is in full carol-singing mode "You've never heard of God Rest Ye Three Wise Stars of Bethlehem?!!" 🎵🎶🎵🎶🎵🎶🎵🎶🎵🎶🎵🎶🎵🎶🎵🎶🎵🎶🎵🎶🎵🎶🎵🎶🎵🎶🎵🎶🎵🎶🎵🎶😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Just wonder if Isabelle is really a French citizen.
She has never taught her daughter anything about French culture, hardly about French language.
And the difficulties for Stephanie to "renew' or get her french passport doesn't make sense if her mother is French.
Nothing adds up.
(TBH is for "To Be Honest")
That's true, renewing is usually just a matter of time. I guess she newer really applied for it and because of brexit there is a huge waiting line. Then it was easier to receive the Irish one and pay 1000 bucks

Reactions: 3
since we started my favourit topic - mental dysfunctions :m
for those who are confused with not seeing the full BLOWN narc, you actually do but not the over one but the covert traits
for anyone interested, there is quite well done video (3 parts - 3rd is the best one), btw many will recognize their mothers/bosses in it, hups, so watch with caution

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Wtf,how did she get a British chimney sweeper again? Is there a whole British village nearby? A colony or what? This annoys me really for some reason I need to scream... And then not even having French citizenship? But Irish? Ridiculous. French people putting up with it because they have so many chateaus in need of restoration?

Gahhhhh... Day 9: Imagine having to sit through an episode of 'The Crown' with SJ chipping in with her HiStOricAL FaCtOiDs every 40 seconds 🤓🇬🇧
So internet is fast enough for Netflix?

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I love to hate it and hate to love it.......but something keeps me watching...
I absolutely agree! It's like a train wreck you can't stop looking at!

Ah, it has been so refreshing lately to read here, it makes me want to come out of lurking again - people finally catching on when it comes to the more disturbing parts of chateau life, commenters bringing up stuff I've been saying since the first Lalande forum thread, but usually got shouted down by tone-policing fans here. I THINK most of those fans have left by now, hmmm. Ah, such a balm to my soul to have the snark firmly back in this forum!

I find it incredibly hard to watch the advent videos. The magic definitely has gone for me, but then I have been struggling with Stephanie's behaviour since summer, noticing more and more weird stuff going on. I don't really see her as a full-blown narcissist (have one like that in the family so I know a bit about their mannerism), but she is unbelievably self-centered and feeds off other people's adoration. Her obsession with getting gifts is distasteful, she just seems to need copious amounts of "stuff" every day, piling up useless trash in abandoned, half-crumbling rooms that poor volunteers keep trying to empty out again, in an endless spiral of useless materialism. As so many here have said, she seems to be more about the idea of being a chatelaine than actually taking proper care of the chateau - anything that isn't glamorous just doesn't get done unless a poor volunteer puts energy into it, and even then S. so often seems to sabotage their efforts.

I hope someone is taking care of poor Ruby in this cold weather. I always felt uneasy seeing S. being so indifferent towards that sweet cat. And for god's sake Marie, LEAVE before this chateau sucks the last bit of energy and positivity out of you. She used to be so sweet, now she can't even smile anymore without looking exhausted afterwards.
Does anyone else see La Lande as kind of the trailer park trash of Chateaux? (I think that's the French word for the plural of Chateau.) I mean, there isn't even any kind of main front door for first timers visiting the chateau to go. There are a bunch of little doors, with no indication as to which one should be used. And SJ likes to use the preface that someone who lived at La Lande "was sent by the King to greet Marie Antoinette" as kind of her claim to fame.

I think the Pethericks' chateau is absolutely beautiful, and Angel and Dick Strawbridge's chateau is over the moon gorgeous! And speaking of Angel Strawbridge, she has definite talent for interior decoration, and is willing to work hard to achieve her ideas. as opposed to you know who. I feel absolutely Mean Girl saying stuff like this, but, well, you know, isn't this the place for this kind of thing?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
"this is the tightest hole I ever put something in" 😂

Does anyone else see La Lande as kind of the trailer park trash of Chateaux? (I think that's the French word for the plural of Chateau.) I mean, there isn't even any kind of main front door for first timers visiting the chateau to go. There are a bunch of little doors, with no indication as to which one should be used. I think the Pethericks' chateau is absolutely beautiful, and Angel and Dick Strawbridge's chateau is over the moon gorgeous! (I feel absolutely Mean Girl saying stuff like this, but, well, you know . . .)
It's the one where the basket is hanging out of the window 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
That's true, renewing is usually just a matter of time. I guess she newer really applied for it and because of brexit there is a huge waiting line. Then it was easier to receive the Irish one and pay 1000 bucks
Not so easy to get the Irish citizenship. Not done in a few weeks.
Especially because of all the Brits who applied en masse to get their Irish passport at the same time.
I tell you, nothing makes sense. I bet we'll never know the truth 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 4

Does anyone else see La Lande as kind of the trailer park trash of Chateaux? (I think that's the French word for the plural of Chateau.) I mean, there isn't even any kind of main front door for first timers visiting the chateau to go. There are a bunch of little doors, with no indication as to which one should be used. And SJ likes to use the preface that someone who lived at La Lande "was sent by the King to greet Marie Antoinette" as kind of her claim to fame.

I think the Pethericks' chateau is absolutely beautiful, and Angel and Dick Strawbridge's chateau is over the moon gorgeous! And speaking of Angel Strawbridge, she has definite talent for interior decoration, and is willing to work hard to achieve her ideas. as opposed to you know who. I feel absolutely Mean Girl saying stuff like this, but, well, you know, isn't this the place for this kind of thing?
I totally agree. Lalande is far from aesthetically pleasing. I guess that’s why it’s not listed. I also hate Philip and Angelina’s place. Half of theirs was demolished, so that explains the asymmetry. Either way symmetrical chateaus look so much nicer.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.