The Chateau Diaries #4 Jarvis in Jeopardy

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am pretty sure SJ would not sell the chateau in the near future. Nic and Michael are unlikely to cashing in their chips, but if they do, SJ has first refusal anyway. More likely, they will unofficially close the B&B. The guests rarely feature unless they are chefs or have professional businesses. Therefore, it is more likely that privacy will be preserved by inviting only guests where there is real benefit - for example, the owner of The Woodsman would provide great content during a stay at the chateau and SJ would be able to visit his restaurant and home in return. Same with the guy with the restaurant in Amsterdam. The author of the children's book set at LaLande with beautiful rhyme and illustration would be a welcome guest as the proceeds from the book are going to a charity of DJ's choice and thus she is delighted to collaborate. These will be the sort of people whose company they will all enjoy and be useful contacts and extend their friend base. I suspect the workshops will be extended to provide variety and content. Volunteers will be needed to look after those people and provide vlog content themselves. The season for this will be short, as SJ will be travelling more with Oliver and privately and need the freedom to explore new business opportunities, and I am guessing they will be many. Brenda will not be in charge of merchandise. SJ will, I would have thought, should set up a "shop" at the chateau, full of exquisite gifts beautifully displayed in a newly renovated space. This will give the illusion that people are picking from the shelves and it is all being lovingly packed. In reality, the website can be classy and the merchandise does not need to go through the chateau. It can all be stored at Amazon warehouses and dispatched on order. SJ can continue at the chateau for the key festive dates for vlogging and enjoy other parties that do not need to have the camera present so that Nic does not have to wear the thin joke of a paper bag on this head and Antoine can enjoy Crot Crot without a prying lens. Patreons will be happy with tea and cake once or twice a year garden party. SJ has a great future and I am looking forward to seeing it all unfold.
Brilliant. You’ve said it as it will be. Right down to the Amazon Warehouse - and I laughed at the bit where Stephanie ‘travels more with Oliver’ on art/food tours - expect exotic/unusual destinations & upgrades in luxe accommodation as hotels/businesses clamour to collaborate with her in return for a shout-out & advertising that features attractive & effervescent, educated Chatelaine. She has the most incredible launchpad now for untold fame & enormous financial gain on the horizon (not that I’m knocking the massive income she must already be deriving from YouTube ads/Patreon - even after tax) I’m sure your prediction that Brenda will NOT be Chief of Merchandising is spot-on. I have two questions, one, why is Stephanie not already putting in place protection for any merchandising - she could state on her vlog that ‘the only way to buy official merch will be via her Chateau La Lande page. Patreon/fans will then immediately know anything elsewhere is a ‘knock-off’ - even if that ‘working web page’ is a while in production.
My second question is how will SJ deal with the wild card that is Brenda ? Cue the music 🎶 🎶 There may be trouble ahead ....

• Heart
Reactions: 11
@Calvignac I believe you, the winters do look seriously cold at La Lande. I've been caught out in Paris in the winter - it is freezing, can't imagine Berry is much different. In ETTCDIY Dick thought she was nuts for not insulating the chateau roof....fur coat, no knickers

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
@Calvignac I believe you, the winters do look seriously cold at La Lande. I've been caught out in Paris in the winter - it is freezing, can't imagine Berry is much different. In ETTCDIY Dick thought she was nuts for not insulating the chateau roof....fur coat, no knickers
Paris is in a continental climate (very cold winters, very hot summers). Berry (chateau de Lalande) is a semi continental, semi Oceanic (more temperate) climate.
For example, Limousin (Limoges, 1 hour drive from Lalande) is extremely cold in winter.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Available EXCLUSIVELY from Donegal Shat O Tat Enterprises.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Available EXCLUSIVELY from Donegal Shat O Tat Enterprises.
Certainly Brenda "idle hands are the devil's workshop" Gibbons' shenanigans have been a wake up call. It takes a couple of months to build up an online store.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
The usda zones are mostly based on average low temps and it doesn't look like that area has gone below -06 in the last ten years. France has it's own climate designations and still, it's similar to other locations on the equator that the US calls zone 8. I might be wrong since I just briefly researched the address. I managed a 1000 sq ft of raised beds and some livestock in an educational setting with similar but slightly drier winter temperatures for 10 years. We had more snow than they do, but early spring was wild with flowers because we threw donated packets of seeds on composted manure in the beds after clearing the summer debris. Also brassicas and root vegetables love a little snow if they are mulched and start early enough. I bet they would have luck with cilantro outdoors right now, and in the greenhouse for insurance, just in case they have another Taco Tuesday.

The vegetable garden is improving but it still looked unproductive for the size, and the soil looks like granite crumble. I wish they would mulch so they didn't have to worry so much about watering in the summer and they'd build the soil, etc. Dan gardens a little like a dirt farmer and rotary tilling just kills all your worms. I'm from the school of piling the garden like a forest floor when it's too hot, or too cold. Stephanie had fancied a more permaculture approach according to some listing I found on pinterest a while back. I can't find it now. They have a huge surplus of gifted seeds to experiment with, and they should cast half of them out onto piles of sheep tit and give that soil something to think about. I want them to have to garden with a machete this spring. It's part of the reason I joined this cult.
Oh that's funny 'part of the reason why I joined this cult' :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Yes, I'm with you on this one, the vegetable garden could be so much more and hopefully will be in the future. They have enough grass clippings, leaf mulch, sheep and chicken manure to start feeding the soil and build structure. Hopefully when they build their compost area they will successfully hot compost too if that's what they are aiming for. I wouldn't rotary till either, just a spade and a fork. We like to dig our allotment but many folks around us go for the no dig method, each to their own, their crops never seem to be as prolific though but that may be down to how they feed their soil. There's one guy there who uses permaculture method which works a treat.
Where I am we benefit from the jet stream and as yet no signs of frost. SJ's garden has already had frost and I'm much further north than she is. At home I still have summer roses, hydrangea and Californian poppy flowers coming through, happy days. We are on the coast though so never get the harsh weather, it passes over.

🎶 Nuts, oh hazelnuts, Stephanie makes them and covers them in .. silk? wallpaper?
(can't think of anything that rhymes with chocolate - was a Cadburys advert for all the non UK folks)

I would have put a log burner or two in by now. Much more efficient than open fires but I was brought up with open fires and I like to be warm!! Maybe someone should gift her the Norwegian Wood book. When she told Dick that she straps hot water bottles around herself in winter the look in his eyes was priceless. Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when he told Angel about it. Thing is though SJ doesn't have to think that rationally about things as she doesn't have to consider children in the situation.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
I think the point being made here is that Stephanie has never known what is a hierarchy (and I'm not speaking of Mummy and Daddy), colleagues (and not a Gerry or a bunch of often very young volunteers), strict working hours (not speaking of lying in bed until noon for your work either) and real goals (not making money to restore your dream rural chateau).
Nobody said that Stephanie was lazy. Just living in... La La Land and thinking that life can be hard (for the others).
We like Chateau Diaries videos. But we have to be lucid too 😉
We may possibly all have differing opinions on what makes up a ‘working day’ & many undertake roles that are not defined by a 9-5 routine, but I agree completely with what you say here. Indeed SJ is not lazy & I’ve no doubt she spends hours editing/filming, but as you said, being Chatelaine of La Lande, whiling away hours sleeping till noon, when the majority of workers have to be up at the crack of dawn & work in jobs that barely cover a basic, mundane lifestyle (AND they are doing it under someone else’s orders) can in no way compare to the delightfully charmed life of Mademoiselle Jarvis. How many people in are able to swan around, making their dream life come true ? She is incredibly lucky & fortunate in so many ways. We all enjoy watching SJ restore her castle but we shouldn’t for one single moment believe this Make-Believe 45 year old Disney Princess
I found it rather strange for her to say it was rather wingy getting up and working at a desk? Serioulsy? I don't think it was an intervention I think people were getting annoyed by it. As for Marie ohhhhing and awwwing over flowers that was a bit much last night. Cat is a gem, she's trying to get everything organized which should have been done years ago. It looks like the anitques road show threw up in there.
*The Antiques road show threw up in there !* 😂😂😂😂 Wish I’d said that :)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
We may possibly all have differing opinions on what makes up a ‘working day’ & many undertake roles that are not defined by a 9-5 routine, but I agree completely with what you say here. Indeed SJ is not lazy & I’ve no doubt she spends hours editing/filming, but as you said, being Chatelaine of La Lande, whiling away hours sleeping till noon, when the majority of workers have to be up at the crack of dawn & work in jobs that barely cover a basic, mundane lifestyle (AND they are doing it under someone else’s orders) can in no way compare to the delightfully charmed life of Mademoiselle Jarvis.
I don't understand why we are debating what is work / working day. To me it is simply getting active and living up to your responsibilities especially when it is self created. But, you know, some people have the gift of getting others to do for them or even instead of them.

We may possibly all have differing opinions on what makes up a ‘working day’ & many undertake roles that are not defined by a 9-5 routine, but I agree completely with what you say here. Indeed SJ is not lazy & I’ve no doubt she spends hours editing/filming, but as you said, being Chatelaine of La Lande, whiling away hours sleeping till noon, when the majority of workers have to be up at the crack of dawn & work in jobs that barely cover a basic, mundane lifestyle (AND they are doing it under someone else’s orders) can in no way compare to the delightfully charmed life of Mademoiselle Jarvis. How many people in are able to swan around, making their dream life come true ? She is incredibly lucky & fortunate in so many ways. We all enjoy watching SJ restore her castle but we shouldn’t for one single moment believe this Make-Believe 45 year old Disney Princess

*The Antiques road show threw up in there !* 😂😂😂😂 Wish I’d said that :)
Whoops confused replying to two messages - was timed out of previous reply to calvignac... & should completed message should read:
....we shouldn’t for one single moment believe this Make-Believe 45 year old Disney Princess leads any sort of hard working day that can be compared to most of the working population- whether they be in a professional role or otherwise. This girl leads a *dream life* working on her *dream life* - and hey, we all enjoy looking at her do so !

• Heart
I wonder if SJ started editing in bed because it's so cold in the chateau in winter. I do think some of you are being rather unkind, I love how she doesn't mind us seeing her as she is, warts and all
warts and all? hahahahahahaha

She is coming across increasingly childlike recently..... with all her "ooh flowers" schtick acting like she's never seen one before, like that time recently she made them stop the car so she could photograph flowers at the side of the road which were completely underwhelming and went on for far too long, and honestly her childlike wonderment on that walk was like she had just arrived on Earth from Mars.

It used to be endearing but sitting there clutching 6 straggly weeds and a mushroom and refusing to put them down to drink her champagne was a bit silly

Can't work out if she is genuinely obsessed with every single leaf and twig she catches sight of, or if its a bit faux "flower hippie" for her brand
summed up my thoughts entirely.

Last edited:
  • Heart
She is coming across increasingly childlike recently..... with all her "ooh flowers" schtick acting like she's never seen one before, like that time recently she made them stop the car so she could photograph flowers at the side of the road which were completely underwhelming and went on for far too long, and honestly her childlike wonderment on that walk was like she had just arrived on Earth from Mars.

It used to be endearing but sitting there clutching 6 straggly weeds and a mushroom and refusing to put them down to drink her champagne was a bit silly

Can't work out if she is genuinely obsessed with every single leaf and twig she catches sight of, or if its a bit faux "flower hippie" for her brand
SJ mentioned 'conflict' again. Perhaps its in reference to the current dynamics with MW.
I can't stand the way MW pronounces dahlias and how she doesn't explain things well, even her own inspiration. Could be a language thing of course. I certainly can't speak or understand Norwegian.
On a side note, MW's father was an alcoholic and in last years vlogs she made a point to stop drinking as well as going gluten free.
MW does get mocked by SJ and she doesn't like it. Whether that is a personal thing or a cultural difference, who knows. The British do tend to have a sarcastic, dry and piss taking sense of humour.

LOTL is not selling the house. Why bother to establish a non-profit for the house? If she would plan to sell, she would concentrate to solve the expensive structural problems, double-glaze all windows, repair the heating... and leave the decorating to the new owners. I can see Nic and Michael leaving in near future, B&B will be always fully booked by fans and they'll loose their privacy, the house will no longer be a private family retreat.
A lot of people sell their houses without sorting out the stuff that they should. Make it look pretty and sweep any issues under the carpet.
As to whether they will is a different matter.
I see the establishment of a non-profit as a good accountants move. Money, its all a game of chess.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
@Heathcliffe [QUOTE="Heathcliffe, post:"Marie's weird "oooh a flower! a mushroom!" behaviour. It might also just be a bit attention seeking? She does tend to get stuck in the kitchen, her milkbottle business is not really taking off
[/QUOTE]
Milk bottle business 😂 brilliant & just perfectly sums it up & the way she says dahlias, I always want to throw something at the TV, why can’t Stephanie help her to say it correctly 🤔

• Haha
Skills and abilities to run a chateau... Hmmmm a chateau is just that : a chateau, a bigger house if you prefer. It doesn't take skills and abilities to run a house. I grew up in a 17e century former huge convent in France. It was cold,, it was sometimes hard but my parents never thought they had skills and abilities to run their house. And they never thought it was "work" to renovate it as they had real jobs to fund it.
And I know a lot of people who have achieved more than Stephanie at 45.
As I say, we love her videos but we need to stay lucid about her. Otherwise we're no better than superfans.
BTW We do know the jobs she has done as from the very beginning, (when she was still answering on Facebook), she was clear about it : none except some administration for her parents.
I do think she needs to be giving more info about what's going on.We are helping with the restoration.

Reactions: 2
@Takeaway I'm curious now. How does she pronounce dahlias ? Or how do you pronounce it ?
I haven't been shocked by her prononciation as it's the way we say dahlias in french.

@Takeaway I'm curious now. How does she pronounce dahlias ? Or how do you pronounce it ?
I haven't been shocked by her prononciation as it's the way we say dahlias in french.
There we go, I've learnt something new today.. it's the french way of saying it. In the UK its ... Break 'dahlias' down into sounds: [DAY] + [LEE] + [UHZ] - say it out loud and exaggerate the sounds until you can consistently produce them.

@Heathcliffe Why did you not like Selmar and Philip dancing together? Is it just you do not like them? or is this your usua
@Heathcliffe Why did you not like Selmar and Philip dancing together? Is it just you do not like them? or is this your usual, much appreciated off the cuff wit? I always like reading what you think. The Argentine Tango was original danced by two men together. Men would dance with other men for two or three years - the kicks often quite violent "play fighting". Only when they had reached a certain standard did they then dance with women. I am so glad that dancing has moved from being a male / female exclusive activity. It is now simply a pair - one lead, one follower. Often the men in both my jive and salsa groups dance together. The lead needs to feel what it is like to be a follower and vice versa. I love the way the world is changing to embrace a more relaxed attitude to gender roles and there are two lovely people demonstrating just that.

Selmar has rhythm , and wit and he is fun. Sure, he is not a brilliant dancer, but I would gladly be his partner. I hate it when men do not dance at parties when there are ladies in want of a partner.
Good evening Seeingitasitis, :) No I don't object to seeing two men dancing together, au contraire! Or women.👍 Not the least old fashioned in that, I have good friends who are same sexed couples, so my "horrid" comment was not gay bashing, I am more likely to bash gay bashers If one of my gay friends asked me to dance I would indeed, but I would have to lead, not used to the following bit (that according to my wife is the hardest bit.) No, they just looked weird and stiff, Phillip is quite good at that awkward look. :devilish:Selmar is a gem, but as you point out not the world's greatest dancer and he seems to repeat himself a lot with his one move...or perhaps they always film him when he is doing that!? I like to read what you (and all of you's) think too!🍸;)

@Heathcliffe [QUOTE="Heathcliffe, post:"Marie's weird "oooh a flower! a mushroom!" behaviour. It might also just be a bit attention seeking? She does tend to get stuck in the kitchen, her milkbottle business is not really taking off
Milk bottle business 😂 brilliant & just perfectly sums it up & the way she says dahlias, I always want to throw something at the TV, why can’t Stephanie help her to say it correctly 🤔
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it does sound a bit silly, but then she is Norwegian ;) I've been there snow boarding, and I would never even try to speak their language...they actually do really well with their English in my opinion. So we should excuse her "Daahh lias". Stephanie tends to not correct the foreigners, though she sometimes smirks to herself. I'm with her there. I have a friend who loudly corrected his French wife at a dinner party, and her retort was magnificent, she said "So Thomas, how many languages do you speak?" hah ha, (she speaks French, Italian, and some German in addition to excellent English) :LOL:🍸

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.