Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
His excuse is that he's trying to be more 'artistic' and had to start the video all over again. Hmm....that wouldn't work if he was employed by someone else. Sounds like a lame excuse to me. He's burning his bridges pretty quickly.
In real life there are deadlines. On YouTube, he is his own boss and he can use whatever lame excuse he comes up with but he must not forget, his funding base on Patreon is rapidly shrinking. He'll one day end up having just a few gangster grannies sending pension money so he can stay on Grindr.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21

ploppityplop2

VIP Member
Who are we talking about here?

I fear BJJ will get the chop the moment one of the alpha (I use that term loosely) males returns to reclaim their territory.
Fanny will drop him like a hot potato once she can start travelling again!

Dippy Hippy

VIP Member
I don't think I have heard Philippa saying anything positive or anything at all about Daddy Dearest's paintings. Plenty about the framing though. I wonder if Philippa was hoping if he suggested the cottage that the painting would be out of sight. They certainly are not his style. He may even be embarrassed by them, I know I would.
Just one vlog without a mention of dearest Daddy and his art work would be refreshing.. I loved my dad, he died young, but you move on. Everybody does. SJ needs serious counselling. It's not normal to go on so much about your deceased parent like this. I'm sure nobody staying at the chateau wants to see this art work on their walls. It's cartoony, crude and a pastiche of styles popular many years ago. Why did she never get them framed before? It's like an obsession and it's getting worse. She'll be commissioning a painting or statue of him next for everyone to worship. Please Stephanie, try to do a vlog without mentioning "Daddy", time to move on now.

Viva La Loca

Chatty Member
I couldn't believe she referred to area #2 as Selmar's Studio. Before they went there I was hoping she wasn't referring to that area lol
I think Selmar will be in his element there, especially when builds a fence. He's got a lovely woodland and stream, quiet, away from everyone. Once the dead trees are felled he will be yoga tango man all over the green space. I can see him happily living there for a few years and being a guardian of the woodland.

• Heart

arthur

watched some bits of the latest vlog : in a nutshell = le summum de la vulgarité (~paramount of vulgarity)

> the stilettos on the tiles (where could you find theses shoes ? Emmaüs , Oxfam, ... ?)
> squatting in front of Ian ( looking to attract him = in French-vulgar- : (chercher à) allumer quelqu'un/ btw don't use it
the bd party : my god ! (won't say anything about the dresses) the champagne bottles
Bellini's = 8£ - less 10 euros for ' champagne with peach juice' .... I'm dreaming ; I'll use it to clean my toilet bowl.
The worst champagne you can get in France is 10/12 euros.
For that bottle = it's not champagne, only sparkling wine (from ?). A simple marketing fact : you buy it 10 euros > minus VAT + minus retailer's margin + minus marketing cost (using the name Bellini - trademark) = you have ugly booze flavoured with syrup.
My advice : avoid that kind of beverage
Even if you shake the bottle (!!), it won't improve it (or dreaming of sthg else ...)

Yes a parfaact day; all in "élégance, savoir-vivre, chic " good manners, excellent education.
Please up to a Tattler to comment the meal ...

• Heart
  • Haha

journey

Well, we do know what she thinks of flowers *proceeds to rip leaves off her roses*
Were the Ranunculi a gift from the advent vlogs?
- Imagine seeing FRK not taking care of the gift you sent her and just be indifferent.
Lol—-I could tell she couldn’t WAIT to strip all the lovely leaves off the roses. 🍃 Marie, why not save time and run them over with a lawnmower?

• Haha
  • Heart

purejuice

VIP Member
I am looking for and failing to find the post to quote in which one of you delightful people says, philosophically, wouldn't we all be better off if we let the chateaux die a natural death and crumble away -- or just blow them up and replace with modern manageable affordable housing?
I think ETTC has a preponderance of hideous 19th c. nouveaux riche faux chateaux -- of which Strawbridges, Stephanie, Pethericks, Fleuries, et al are chatelaines.
Then there are some really old places nicely preserved for the future, with ambition or intent to serve again as community centers in very rural France. I think Marc and Amy talk about that, reviving vineyards, habitat, and other important infrastructure for rural France. They're the only ones I'm aware of. I've heard Erin and JB mention this -- becoming the heart of the community again -- without much giving back in evidence so far. I think it's significant that in both cases one of the chatelains is French.
But this thing of getting fat in Belle Epoque white elephants hosting hermetically-sealed Brits-only drunken weekends in your bargain-renovated venue is pretty colonial. Neo-colonial.
About restoring old things.
As an old thing myself, I have to say the thought of young people living artisanal lives and replaning 150-year-old clapboards to upcycle on their modest but beautiful Greek revival dwellings in civilized little upstate New York towns brings me to tears. Clara's friends talk about learning traditional dry wall masonry to restore their modest ruin. That whole The Repair Shop emotion -- respect for the worker who went before me, ploughing the perfectly straight furrow, making this clock, hewing this timber, cutting the pattern for this teddy bear. There's two powerful vibes: invocation of the ancestors and resurrection ritual. I'm for it. If you can make a living doing it, which seems doubtful, god bless. Otherwise, like gentleman farmers, you need somebody in the family with rather lucrative a day job.
Not feeling it so much for those French robber baron MacMansions.
I was looking at the restoration of one of the truly old chateaus I'd rule worth saving for the future, and thinking how beautifully the various 13th c rooms have come up as hotel rooms. But those people have a ton of money and had professional workmen repoint the stones and polish the lime render. I doubt it's been restored to historical specifications, which I don't really care much about for useful, living buildings. Aesthetically it's a win, but also earning money off the customers' Knight Templar/Holy Grail/Da Vinci Code etc. fantasies.
I think I like best the parador system, where the government of Spain actually restored patrimony buildings for tourists to stay in. You didn't have to worry about whether or not the host was going to stop drinking/faffing with the fairy lights/shopping and hoarding/ long enough to make sure the sheets were clean. The standards were professional, not expat beach bum.
As for whether or not we'd be better off letting them rot, I don't know. I like to think young people like Dan and Annelise can get a toehold in the housing market restoring a modest village dwelling, and bring something wonderful of themselves and their children' future back to empty, wonderful, rural France.

Last edited:

Clara Burnett

VIP Member
@Clara Burnett do you know much about when the bathrooms were fitted in the guest bedrooms? Did SJ do any B&B before your friends arrived? It’s always seemed to me a lot of work and effort to squeeze the showers and toilets into each main bedroom (however badly it was done) if the chateau was only intended as a party place for friends and family who could really share a larger bathroom.
Most of the bathrooms were fitted in the first years after they bought it and are now completely outdated when it comes to normal modern comfort. When my friends arrived, late 2014, the HMN was on airbnb fior some years but had only a few guests. SJ had no interest at all in setting up the b&b, she desperately needed the money but was not willing to work for it or give up her traveling lifestyle. It’s not so much she wanted to create a party place, but pre Covid it wasn’t her true home either; she would spend more time away from it than actually there, leaving the responsibility for it to whoever would be there. Her biggest rule to live by for the HMN was: if you’re here you’re here, if you’re not you’re not. She is going to have a hard time explaining that to her visiting patrons post Covid, since they have already paid for the experience of having her there to entertain them.

She won't feel any sort of compunction, moral or otherwise, to do that. She's got what she wanted now. Who cares how? She's got the tears of gratitude online now, so job's a goodun.
So she wants to go to the UK but is buying her car in France? Good luck with the paperwork, FRK.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I have often thought of why I ever start watching these videos years ago? I used to really enjoy them and wanted to be part of the whole La Lande experience. When she got popular, it really changed. Before, the focus was on restoring the chateau. The content was so much more informational. Now, it all seems so much like an act to just wind up the manic fans. Even the Sundays at the Chateau have gone down hill. I don't appreciate 'leftovers' and out takes being the topic of a vlog. It just means you don't have anything new to show and you've stooped to piecing together bits from the cutting room floor. The new fan base is very different from the old fan base. Oh well, all good things come to an end eventually.
It was all so natural back then but SJ got greedy and everything became contrived. I thought I was all alone in this thought from reading her YouTube comments. But I found you tattlers and now I don’t feel so crazy! I also learned of other interesting YouTube channels from you tattlers that were like SJ’s early ones but they have not become contrived: Positano Diaries and Fernibops (Fern Weston-Bennett). I love them both for making the ordinary interesting, sharing cooking ideas or real shopping ideas (without getting financial gain for doing it). They each have lovely families and live interesting lives. Positano participates in Patreon but I think it’s fair, she is out of work due to COVID. Her videos are superbly edited—the scenes are beautiful. Fern does not participate in Patreon as I don’t think it’s an interest of hers. Fern, who is English and moved with her family to France last year, is the much more glamorous, practical version of SJ. SJ could learn a thing or two from her.

Couldnt get over Fanny prancing around the place in her blue blouse and stilletos. Ridiculous. Just showing off for the assorted hangers on.
Prince Pip is almost certainly homosexual and is merely in awe of Fanny and her faux fairytale life.
My money is on Fanny being a deeply closeted lesbian.
Good point..i think more asexual...just teasing and nothing more...playing make believe..for anyone who wants to notice it.....she is playfull..with the gays..with those two awfull lesbian fotowoman..its all a game...she just loves one person...herself...

Totally agree. He is a great dad and those two lads clearly adore him. Annalise is lovely, down to earth and practical. They are a perfect pair. I could see them being like the Fleuries if they ever got a Chateau. He is a quick learner and neither of them are afraid to roll their sleeves up and get on with it.
Thats so true...living a while in that place like that..with young children...you can handle everything..

Totally agree. He is a great dad and those two lads clearly adore him. Annalise is lovely, down to earth and practical. They are a perfect pair. I could see them being like the Fleuries if they ever got a Chateau. He is a quick learner and neither of them are afraid to roll their sleeves up and get on with it.
Thats so true...living a while in that place like that..with young children...you can handle everything..

No. Too much evidence of intimacy. I find it really hard to understand why so many on here are so unwilling to accept that those two are an item in every sense of the word.
I am gay...i know how it works...with Fag Hags and all..its all show..and fun..and make other believe things that are not going to happen..holding hands on the street and kisses mean nothing..its all show..50 percent of gaylife is show..the more attention the better...

I sometimes think to myself...seeing scrolling Fanny Flash and her entourage here..and what would they all say.. :p

Last edited:

Pansygirl

Chatty Member
The trend for designer animals: cats, dogs, pigs, hens worries me. First we had Vietnamese Pot Bellied pigs which outgrew their surroundings so they ended up in rescue. Then came miniature pigs, oh dear! Teacup dogs and also rare breed chickens. I have no problem if people want them as pets and look after them but to just introduce them to ‘ normal’ hens and expect all to be well is a mistake. This is in the UK so may be different elsewhere! Who looks after croc croc or do they take him with them? Sheep need to be checked everyday in case on lands on its back, gets caught up somewhere, is limping or has any sores. They are not ornaments, they are livestock!

• Heart

Madame No

VIP Member
Y
Just see a few minutes of the latest Cadeaux. Some observations. Firstly, who on earth told our Princess that she looks great in lurid yellow? So much so that she's adopted it as her favourite colour. Yellow looks ghastly on her, she's much too pale. Secondly, when she changed into the black slinky dress with the sparkling headband Stefanny looked like Little Edie from Grey Gardens. Thirdly, that entrance hall wallpaper that was a huge secret and there was going to be a big reveal is ABSOLUTELY HIDEOUS. The scale and the pattern totally wrong for the hall, and teamed with those tatty secondhand Brocante sofas, it's just awful.View attachment 559173
Yep! That gifted dress with the matching turban was particularly hideous. Looked like something you'd buy in a tacky resort boutique. I don't think the gifter has been paying attention to SJs likes and dislikes as she has mentioned she doesn't like wearing black, which is good, because black doesn't like her either. Looking at this image from Grey Gardens, it's a wonder some old grannies haven't sent their moth eaten old furs to the glamorous chatelaine to help keep her warm in the cold drafty winter months.

• Haha
  • Heart

Milre

VIP Member
I've always been under the impression that workaways are 'unique snowflakes' who haven't come in terms with their mediocrity. People whose gap year have turned into a lifestyle.
I was host to many workawayers, usually travelling families on a world trip with their kids homeschooling while travelling. I was not looking for a slave but for people who can teach my kids or me something fun. Sofar we had: birdwatching, karate, fancy cakes, coding, of course lots of language practice, woodwork (building a pergola), stargazing with a proper telescope, juggling, painting a mural
We once had a guy for 6 weeks who basically played ping-pong every afternoon for hours with my son who within those weeks became really really good!
It was more of an exchange since I taught them about local history and German and we cooked together.
I myself did all my workaways in Croatia babysitting since I don't have anybody in Germany to speak Croatian to and I don't want to forget it but can't justify spending 6 weeks per year there just on vacation while my husband works so at least I don't spend any money.

• Heart

Madame No

VIP Member
From "Opening gifts in the entrance hall".
"..... Whenever Phillip is holding the camera, he emits a darling snort ....".
I think the hideous puppet fits right in at the shatoo, especially since it's two faced!

• Haha

Arfarf

VIP Member
SJ needs a stylist and a GOOD interior decorator who specializes in restorations, and then she needs to LISTEN to them. Oh, and a COMPETENT general manager to keep all these crazy renovations (I.e. Remudelings) in line.

What is going on with the terrace? Looks like another job done half-assed and unfinished.

• Heart
Reactions: 20

Green Ink

I remember noting the Fleuries' charges for food in a much more well-restauranted location seemed way out of line too. I suppose food cooked by amateurs in non-government-inspected kitchens is worth more.
I haven't seen the Fleurie offer but remember that there is also the time cost of providing the meals. If you serve dinner to guests you pretty much have to give up your evening to prepare, serve and clear it, so I would not object to paying for that if it was a decent standard. Locally sourced meat, fruit and vegetables from the garden, that sort of thing. Being able to enjoy a glass or two of wine and not have to drive would be nice. But the only decent-looking food I think I have seen at HMN is when Nic's Marie is there.

Imagine if you went to SJ's and it was pork for dinner....we already know how that gets chucked about, raw, on the kitchen table. :sick::poop:(n)

• Haha
  • Sick

Rory

VIP Member
I wonder if La La Land working hours are British or French. Obviously I am excluding Natti who is working 24/7. I still think they confuse being awake with working.
Oh and BJJ, my 7 year old nephew has an instagram account. He is able to take a few photos a week, post one or 2 with comments. How hard can it be? I think I could fobLA La's instagram account work from here using screen shots.
SJ and boys you are going to rue this wasted opportunity to have a clear S&M plan. It could be managed by a professional from anywhere.
Finally, I think BJJ is a virgin.

• Haha
  • Heart

mrsp67

VIP Member
Omg glad I’ve found y’all! I was obsessed with CD until the strange things with Thomas came up, and broke my rose covered glasses, then.. Prince P etc etc etc. not quite sure how to navigate this space but I thought it was only me that had goofy thoughts and questions about strangers!
validation at last! Shatoo curious in The USA

ps. Most of my
Millennial employees are Bi sexual or a sexual. For the older among us pretty much means sex with whoever

Clara Burnett

VIP Member
So, Frank and Ivo?
They certainly took care of her cats, yes. And her sheep. And her chickens. And her peacocks. And all other living creatures at the shittoo. Rather odd to blame them for not taken one and claiming the others are still so lovely and totally hers. She's always been full of shit when it comes to animals.
In their blog they lovingly write about their animals and it's a completely different vibe I get there, just saying.

• Heart

FrenchGirl123

Chatty Member
Not to bring up the “slavery” subject. One thing that has been bugging me is that these people who buy these enormous chateaux don’t seem to consider the amount of work it takes just to maintain them not withstanding the amount of renovation and money it takes to keep these mausoleums functioning. There is a reason why these huge arcs of the robber barons and the aristocrats were abandoned. They ran purely on the backs of the slaves, the indentured servants and the uneducated underclasses. I too have been struck by the bros of decay episodes. Where the inhabitants have lived in squalor in comparison to modern day living.
I no longer think that there is a “romance” to these places. Especially when one reflects upon the times in which they thrived and the social and economic injustices that prevailed.
Oh and I have no doubt with my French& Irish roots I would have been downstairs. No illusions of grandeur!
And think of where the servants lived in these chateaux : in the attic.

Stephanie was so proud to show her viewers the 19e century servants loo. Their bedrooms were in the attic too. The ones which were located in the upper floors were for the "senior" servants (butler, governess, personal maid, etc). The rest was accommodated under the roof : very cold in the winters, very hot in the summers (no insulation in those days).

I grew up in one of these big houses/manors : the servants' bedrooms are still there, under the roof, cubicles with a window on the roof. It seems that these servants cubicles have disappeared at Lalande.

Like you, I've never seen any "romance" in these chateaux. But that's my French revolutionary side 😅

• Heart
  • Haha