The Chateau Diaries #24 The Church of Stephinology and the Order of the Spode

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She's involved with her brother and aparently gave him permission to show off their childhood shattoo. No clue why, but wouldn't rule out grifting, as I am a paranoid tattler by now.

I bet there will be a pity-speech-vlog tomorrow, as she said she's going forward with the Tuesday one and has probably used up all material from before hospital. We better get ready to receive some superfan outrage!
Who’s live chat are the super fans going to highjack tonight?

• Haha
Reactions: 5
They had some beautiful pieces of furniture there, but it looked like a dumping ground for unused old family furniture. The rooms were packed 😂 The house looked like it had been unlived for a decade or more (since his parents died) and still used only as a summer house until recently. Otherwise at least the kitchen would have looked very different.
I'm pretty facinated by the matriarchal aspect of this home.

Large rooms meant to hold extended family. He mentioned cousins and siblings around as child. Interested to see how large this place is. SJ seemed to have an Fortuny-orgasmic look on her face the entire time.

Side note Phillip sounded in awe, nary a snort

Reactions: 7
This from Amy: A few weeks ago Stephanie and Philip from The Chateau Diaries met us at Marc's childhood home, which is also a chateau.

'A few weeks' is very open; I think pre-Phillip leaving. So mid-February.
She's been in bed longer than she's telling us. Now when her pre-made videos have run out, she had to come out with the hospital story. The pictures might be from her earlier visit to the hospital? Maybe Snort-a-lot returned to Holland just in case, because he might have been infected with cowweed as well?

Or maybe they were in Venice? And the footage is for her&Ollie's travel vlog?

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Yes, there was but it was refreshing to get away from CLL and the couple seemed pleasant and quite natural in comparison with SJ. Both she and Philip are like a couple of clowns, having a day off from the circus. She is caked in make up and tottering around on high heels while Amy looks so much more natural. I know I've said it before but SJ's body language and gestures are uber-annoying; she is so unantural, self-conscious and prone to posing. She never seems to know where to put her hands after her OTT gesturing. That dreadful laugh is also not at all natural. Of course, Philip had to play the piano and she had to sing. They are both so immature. These things are even more noticeable when she comes out of her gilded cage and mixes with more normal people.
Agreed, they seem like nice people and down to earth. I don't think I'd watch their channel though... I find them nice but boring. Their follow-up video was recommended to me this morning on YouTube and I found myself skipping through it. They show parts of Marc's childhood chateau that weren't in SJ's video, and it ends with them back at the place they're renovating in the Ardèche, which I had never seen.

Speaking of that, I wonder what the rest of you Tattlers think of what passes for chateaux on many of these channels. In the South of France we have a lot of these massive, block houses called "mas" in Provence, the Midi, the Occitan, which is what Marc and Amy's place looks like to me. At most, it's a bastide because it has one squat little tower annex. They have that agricultural look to them.

Then up North, there are a lot of places which could at most be called a Maison de Maître that get billed as chateaux. Like the Fleuries' place. I understand that there used to be a chateau on that site, but they say in their videos that the building they're renovating was a hunting lodge. The chateau burnt down.

My grandparents owned a big former hunting lodge with a lot of acreage and raised their children there, but we never called it a chateau. But then, they weren't trying to run a YouTube channel. ;)

It's not because you're from an old aristocracy family (their case) that you have money.
Absolutely, as in the UK.

I have a few acquaintances with family chateaux in the Midi, and one them is a Count. He lives in a mere corner of it with space heaters going all winter and much of the rest of it is full of cobwebs and smells of cat wee. A lot of these people are cash poor. Especially the chatelain in the family, although they get help paying the taxes from other members of the family.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
They had some beautiful pieces of furniture there, but it looked like a dumping ground for unused old family furniture. The rooms were packed 😂 The house looked like it had been unlived for a decade or more (since his parents died) and still used only as a summer house until recently. Otherwise at least the kitchen would have looked very different.
That's often the case in old family houses. At least, in France. Don't know for other countries.

She didn't get the memo that viewers like some interaction with sweet little babies😊 This one was really patient and well behaving I must say and she didn't appreciate that at al
I don't think self-obsessed people can be bothered with babies/young children; they take too much of the attention and admiration away from them. She can just about manage with Antoine, but no one any younger than that.

• Haha
Agreed, they seem like nice people and down to earth. I don't think I'd watch their channel though... I find them nice but boring. Their follow-up video was recommended to me this morning on YouTube and I found myself skipping through it. They show parts of Marc's childhood chateau that weren't in SJ's video, and it ends with them back at the place they're renovating in the Ardèche, which I had never seen.

Speaking of that, I wonder what the rest of you Tattlers think of what passes for chateaux on many of these channels. In the South of France we have a lot of these massive, block houses called "mas" in Provence, the Midi, the Occitan, which is what Marc and Amy's place looks like to me. At most, it's a bastide because it has one squat little tower annex. They have that agricultural look to them.

Then up North, there are a lot of places which could at most be called a Maison de Maître that get billed as chateaux. Like the Fleuries' place. I understand that there used to be a chateau on that site, but they say in their videos that the building they're renovating was a hunting lodge. The chateau burnt down.

My grandparents owned a big former hunting lodge with a lot of acreage and raised their children there, but we never called it a chateau. But then, they weren't trying to run a YouTube channel. ;)

Absolutely, as in the UK.

I have a few acquaintances with family chateaux in the Midi, and one them is a Count. He lives in a mere corner of it with space heaters going all winter and much of the rest of it is full of cobwebs and smells of cat wee. A lot of these people are cash poor. Especially the chatelain in the family, although they get help paying the taxes from other members of the family.
Exactly my experience too.
I grew up in one of these huge Maisons de Maitre and am well aware of all the challenges related to these big old buildings.

We have never called (and still don't call) it a "Chateau" either but I'm pretty sure these new British "chateau" owners would called it a chateau.
But yes : we didn't have a YT channel or/and a Patreons page to promote ! ;)

Re. Amy and Marc's chateau : It can be called a Bastide (South of France). It's a (late) medieval castle, very typical of the time, quite austere for my taste.
TBH If I had the choice between living at Lalande or in their medieval castle... I would prefer Lalande !

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
Watching along. There really is a lot of plastic tat and piles of clutter in this chateau SJ is touring.
I loved their "lived in" family chateau. The thing I loved most about it was that it wasn't decorated with very loud wallpaper and then more loud clashing curtains, topped off with Daddy's foul loud pictures (if that's what you can call them). They had calm walls, lovely curtains and art that went with the building. I also liked Grandpa's sketches on the stairs. The only bit of loud wallpaper was contained to the bed alcove and then we went back to plain walls and nice curtains. I wonder if Stephanie took any notice of this. Amy mentioned about how she realised that beautful curtains make a room (something like that) and I thought Stephanie looked like she was thinking about it but I'm sure you was thinking but what about the wallpaper.

Reactions: 10
I loved their "lived in" family chateau. The thing I loved most about it was that it wasn't decorated with very loud wallpaper and then more loud clashing curtains, topped off with Daddy's foul loud pictures (if that's what you can call them). They had calm walls, lovely curtains and art that went with the building. I also liked Grandpa's sketches on the stairs. The only bit of loud wallpaper was contained to the bed alcove and then we went back to plain walls and nice curtains. I wonder if Stephanie took any notice of this. Amy mentioned about how she realised that beautful curtains make a room (something like that) and I thought Stephanie looked like she was thinking about it but I'm sure you was thinking but what about the wallpaper.
Yes that's more a wacky English country house style to use all that loud wallpaper and clashing fabrics. Nothing French about it.

Please understand, by that I do not mean to imply that English country can't be very beautiful, too! There are a lot of maximalist Bloomsbury English country style homes that are just gorgeous. Very good at mixing disparate styles in a way that works. I don't feel that SJ has the touch. Daddy's paintings on chinoiserie wallpapers just don't do it for me.

Last edited:
Just watching yesterdays "masterpiece" made me realize again what a leech she is. She is willing to grab onto anything historic, trying to spin it her way. Once you start seeing through her "charm", there's really nothing interesting left, is there?.

• Heart
I agree that DJ's 'art' is questionable in subject matter, and several are downright weird. That would be passable if they were pleasing to look at, but they're awful. My opinion of course, but the pop-art style of outline and colouring in is very childlike if not done well. And these enormous garish things scream out in just about every single room in lalaland and don't sit well at all. Very jarring. Or should I say very jarvasing.
You're so right and those godawful paintings stick out like a sore thumb in the chateau. As you say they ruin every room in which they appear. And as for the proposed bawdy tiles to go round the range? Are you kidding me?

Reactions: 12
Re. Amy and Marc's chateau : It can be called a Bastide (South of France). It's a (late) medieval castle, very typical of the time, quite austere for my taste.
TBH If I had the choice between living at Lalande or in their medieval castle... I would prefer Lalande !
me too, j'avoue ;)

Sometimes estate agents in France will make the distinction between giant bastides and mas vs. chateaux by whether they were the seat of some nobility at any point, rather than just wealthy agriculteurs or other bourgeoisie. So if it's a massive country place and there isn't any fortified chateau-fort aspect to it, it's not usually called a chateau unless it was built to look sprawling and elegant.

Reactions: 3
the have gone to upload things that was clearly filmed a couple of weeks in advance... and a couple of days in hospital has thrown her. She need to get Phillip to start doing vlogs so when she travels in summer she can have a break from it all.

I’m so bored with it all watched a few minutes tonight and couldn’t manage anymore.
Oh God, I hope not!!

Reactions: 2
Yes that's more a wacky English country house style to use all that loud wallpaper and clashing fabrics. Nothing French about it.

Please understand, by that I do not mean to imply that English country can't be very beautiful, too! There are a lot of maximalist Bloomsbury English country style homes that are just gorgeous.
I haven't noticed anything as garish as Stephanie's decor in English country houses. I shall have to take more note. Maybe its just the addition of Daddy's tat that draws my attention to her overall bad taste.

Reactions: 9
me too, j'avoue ;)

Sometimes estate agents in France will make the distinction between giant bastides and mas vs. chateaux by whether they were the seat of some nobility at any point, rather than just wealthy agriculteurs or other bourgeoisie. So if it's a massive country place and there isn't any fortified chateau-fort aspect to it, it's not usually called a chateau unless it was built to look sprawling and elegant.
In one of their first videos, Marc explained that a tower was for the guards in the Middle Age.
He even showed where were their medieval toilets and sat on them. He was very proud of them 😂
Their Chateau was a defensive castle - at least some parts of it.

I haven't noticed anything as garish as Stephanie's decor in English country houses. I shall have to take more note. Maybe its just the addition of Daddy's tat that draws my attention to her overall bad taste.
Definitely it's Daddy's art that derails it, for me.
This is the style of English country I mean, which she just doesn't manage. Usually with wallpapers and paintings and patterned fabrics, crammed with books and stuff, lived-in furniture that's been in the family forever. It's a busy look but done right it's so homely.

fb6c5130663c6c4c_Screen_shot_2011-03-21_at_11.18.17_AM.preview.jpg

In one of their first videos, Marc explained that a tower was for the guards in the Middle Age.
He even showed where were their medieval toilets and sat on them. He was very proud of them 😂
Their Chateau was a defensive castle - at least some parts of it.
Yes like you said, late medieval, the real thing :)

Reactions: 6
Exactly my experience too.
I grew up in one of these huge Maisons de Maitre and am well aware of all the challenges related to these big old buildings.

We have never called (and still don't call) it a "Chateau" either but I'm pretty sure these new British "chateau" owners would called it a chateau.
But yes : we didn't have a YT channel or/and a Patreons page to promote ! ;)

I think Chateau is an 'umbrella' term for all bigger houses built before 20th century. I guess, in the strictest sense of the word none of the chateau vlogger houses are chateaux. I would choose Amy&Marc's bastide (fortified tower/keep/farmhouse, it was a defensive structure, not a noble home?) for the magnificent views :)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Yep, I think stress will be the reason given and laid firmly on tattle doorstep
All hail sister Spodumene - la - loca

should that absolute charlatan even contemplate 🤔or harbour said thoughts......of blaming trolls 😼

Best she remembers the daily death 💀 notices in France 🇫🇷 during jan - feb

- whist she and her travelling 🧳 inhabitants - vacationing in 4 chateau since Christmas ........

And that’s just the ones she filmed

I’d say THAT information is stressing HER out 🙀

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
The YT algorithm will work better for channels using the word “chateau” so some (most) of the names will be using chateau to promote their channel. As well as the prestige factor.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Just finished watching last night vlog at Marc's sister's chateau.

I couldn't help but comparing the 2 women in many of the different "scenes"... What a difference ! Striking.

In one side, you have a "normal" woman, mature, well in her skin (as we say in french : feeling good with yourself)), calm, intelligent, and yet younger !
In the other side, you have, an immature woman, always playing with the others, laughing, posing and yet, older !

Something is not right there.

It has never been so obvious than in this video.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.