The Chateau Diaries #204 Fanny put more $ into her sagging face than her sagging château!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I always serve bread sauce (I am about Fanny's age) it is traditional with turkey, I do cranberry sauce too (I don't like it), sprouts, roast parsnips, braised red cabbage, roast and mashed potatoes and cauliflower cheese as my veggie sister loves it and doesn't like carrots. Followed by Christmas Pudding and Mince pies
Is bread sauce a Northern English thingy?
My mum is 92 and from Southern England - dad was midlands - we have never ever had bread sauce for Christmas.
(I'll go and ask her why in a minute)

• Heart
Reactions: 10
i actually like a good erwtensoep...homemade offcourse..its very nice on cold days..not so keen on stamppot either... :LOL:
Too tick to be a soup, too thin to actually chew it remind me too much of baby food. Or maybe my mother made it horribly, but I prefer Indonesian, Surinamian, Indian, Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Lebanese, Turkish, Greek, Italian, Spanish food over the Dutch/German/UK. Scandinavian would make it to the no no cousines if they weren't so good with their fish dishes!

Is she skipping cadeaux? 🤔
Don't be ridiculous, missing out on possible expensive free stuff?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Is bread sauce a Northern English thingy?
My mum is 92 and from Southern England - dad was midlands - we have never ever had bread sauce for Christmas.
(I'll go and ask her why in a minute)
I don't think so both my parents and Grandparents are from London and I know Rules London's oldest restaurant serves it, maybe it is a London thing? Or just very old fashioned.

Reactions: 12
Interesting seating arrangement.

At the top of the table--the royals and the nobles (sycophants).
The mid-ranking subjects are in the middle,
the American cook, and the Argentine child at the very end.
And no sign of the Ukrainian refugee.
Did she eat alone in the kitchen?
Was that her beside Percy?

(Ricardo's slit though :ROFLMAO: )
cd711.png

cd713.png

cd712.png

Why was Andrew sitting for the most part in the latest vlog? Is the uric acid high and acting up again?

cd714.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
I confess I have no trouble sharing a room with my brothers! I adore them in a non sexual way. there is no way I can ever see them as a sexual creature! So I don't find it weird :)
Same! My older brother is a confirmed bachelor and is pretty set in his ways so he has to have his own bathroom, but we have shared a room, not a bed, except for one time when there weren't any other rooms available with twins, while traveling together. It's no big deal. We both wear pajamas and change in the bathroom. My younger brother is much easier to get along with as far as sharing goes. It sure can save a lot of money if not everyone has to have their own room.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Reactions: 13
Interesting seating arrangement.

At the top of the table--the royals and the nobles (sycophants).
The mid-ranking subjects are in the middle,
the American cook, and the Argentine child at the very end.
And no sign of the Ukrainian refugee.
Did she eat alone in the kitchen?
Was that her beside Percy?

(Ricardo's slit though :ROFLMAO: )
View attachment 1832672
View attachment 1832693
View attachment 1832674

Why was Andrew sitting for the most part in the latest vlog? Is the uric acid high and acting up again?

View attachment 1832704
or between nati and her niece?

Reactions: 7
I don't think so both my parents and Grandparents are from London and I know Rules London's oldest restaurant serves it, maybe it is a London thing? Or just very old fashioned.
What about a class thing then? As someone has already suggested it was a 'filler' - if your family had plenty of food, it wasn't needed?

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I noticed Dan wasn't wearing his paper crown at the table and not laughing with the rest of them. Does he really enjoy partaking in these shenanigans or is he just so lonely that he'll put up with this circus? I bet he's missing his kids and family life this year. Dan, if you read here please note, these are not friends, these are misfits and users. AnnMarie is not you buddy. He'll turn on you if the family does. Nick the Treeman seems honest and trustworthy, cultivate a nice friendship with him. Billy P. may be okay, I don't follow him, so really no opinion other than what people here say about him. Stay clear of Ryan - loose canon that one. But whatever you do, please no more children until you are financially secure and can take care of the ones you have. One more thing, get a proper job with benefits. You're not getting any younger. You're going to need all the financial help you can get when and if you get old. The ruin is a hobby not a job.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
What about a class thing then? As someone has already suggested it was a 'filler' - if your family had plenty of food, it wasn't needed?
forced to google - found this very interesting article on bread sauce.........................still doesn't answer why my family have never had it - mum is finally up now (she is NOT a morning person even though I keep reminding her that old people are supposed to get up early).

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Why was bread sauce invented?

Bread sauce can be traced back to at least as early as the medieval period, when cooks used bread as a thickening agent for sauces. The utilisation of bread in this way probably comes from cooks wanting to use up their stale bread who discovered that it could be incorporated within sauces to make them thicker. Don't think it would ever be used as a filler as you have it as an accompaniment

Reactions: 11
parsnips are not common here...i like them...these days they call it the forgotten vegs...they are available here now.. mostly organic..its very nice to have a potatoe and parsnip mash.. thats why i am surprised Snort knows parsnips.....
Check out the Turkish supermarket if you have one anywhere close. They usually have parsnip in the fresh veg section for a normal price. (as well as parsley, dill, spring onion) The perks of growing up in a mixed neighbourhood :) Also they might have porslane which is considered a weed by us Dutch but is eaten on hot days in Turkey ( remove leaves from stem, add them to full fat Greek yogurt, minced garlic + salt, give it a good stir. Done .you may add mint too)

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Ruth will be cross about being shown. She looked really miserable and out of it, sitting at the back with Potty. I think her mother died earlier this year. Imagine if this were your first Christmas after losing a loved one, Fanny's circus would be the last place you'd want to be but I guess it wouldn't occur to Potty to be away from Fanny at Christmas.
I’m surprised Potts never goes to South Africa at Christmas time to spend it with his family. The past three years he has always been at the Chateau. The weather is wonderful there this time of year. Very weird.

• Wow
Reactions: 18
Check out the Turkish supermarket if you have one anywhere close. They usually have parsnip in the fresh veg section for a normal price. (as well as parsley, dill, spring onion) The perks of growing up in a mixed neighbourhood :) Also they might have porslane which is considered a weed by us Dutch but is eaten on hot days in Turkey ( remove leaves from stem, add them to full fat Greek yogurt, minced garlic + salt, give it a good stir. Done .you may add mint too)
There is NOTHING like roast parsnips IMO - delicious.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.