The Chateau Diaries #2 Double bubble toile and trouble

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Totally agree, Selmar, Marie and Michael and even lovely Dan are quite dull in their vlogs.. They just dont have Stephanie's charisma and vitality!
I agree but I do love Dan & his lovely family, they are the real people in all this craziness.

By the way, all the mystery surrounding Nick is ridiculous! I was able to find a picture of him with no effort whatsoever.
And also on SJ's blog, (not vlog) if you scroll down you see a few pictures of him in the old days.
Click here: The Chateau Blog "Our Story"

View attachment 275860
Thank you, that was so interesting & Stephanie & Michael looked so much in love, I wonder what happened?

• Heart
Reactions: 12
She once said that she was not ready for a typical marriage/family since she loves living in a community style surrounding

Reactions: 3
She once said that she was not ready for a typical marriage/family since she loves living in a community style surrounding
In a Q&A she said she was married for about eighteen months, but realised marriage wasn't for her. They stayed friends but didn't divorce for many years after.

Reactions: 6
Will be interesting to see what our friend Brenda will do at the end of this month. France or not France ?
The Irish government has just declared that Donegal is at level 4 for Covid restrictions (the rest of the country is level 3). This means no travel to another county except for essential work etc.
Tonight the French government has announced that France is in a state of emergency again. Curfews, no gatherings etc.
Suspens... 😅

• Wow
Reactions: 10
I wonder where Michaels 180000 subscribers come from? Even if every single fan from Stephanie came over to him - he has so many more. He is so interesting in her videos but his own are really boring. He should do more editing. I guess I wait till Xmas and then drop by to check if his cottage is done. Love to see it finished. He choses great music though. Does anybody know what his brother does for a living?

Reactions: 4
I guess alot of money is waiting to be inherited from Percy, too. This will boost investments at lalande

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I so agree with interested lady with most of what she says. There's an odd parallel now with Dan's work on his cottage (where he starts and finishes his tasks ON HIS OWN during one vlog even with small children and wife as cameraman and Michael with all his funding and extra help taking so long with no editing to spin It out knowing that whatever he says and does will meet with compliments & the lesser ones will be deleted by Ma Petherick. To be fair he decided to use the gardener's cottage as Billy and Gwen didn't need It and probably has little value, the same can be said for his parents' apartment - they will leave the chateau and guest house for Gwen and Billy. As several of you said Michael Is overwhelmed by his commitments and new slimmed down image so attractive to so many after a fairly mundane life in the UK (bet the perfume etc was gifted by admirers). Stephanie has brought out the most alluring aspects of his personality as she has with everyone she comes into contact with, which of course has made her vlogs so interesting and vivacious. Michael Is sensitive and talented but has suffered from depression as he mentioned so maybe he should make some decisions to give himself some breathing space. Yes, Stephanie with her joyous self confidence and ready wit attracts and highlights the best in her friends and workaways. So many come and go and fill the Chateau ..with love & laughter (oh God her very words) definitely a class act that not many can follow. By the by has Dana taken a sabbatical from her introspective husband and decided to follow the fun? I think she went on the girls' trip recently & she' s often there cooking and having a good time. PS Loved the last CD for all reasons everyone mentioned. Steve so lightfooted for a big guy - what dance was that - Canadian country?

Reactions: 12
By the way, all the mystery surrounding Nick is ridiculous! I was able to find a picture of him with no effort whatsoever.
And also on SJ's blog, (not vlog) if you scroll down you see a few pictures of him in the old days.
Click here: The Chateau Blog "Our Story"

View attachment 275860
Haha a selfie in a bathroom 😂

I don't get the bag on head thing. It just draws attention to him. Do agree he's probably the voice of reason. Wise of him not to get involved with the cadeaux nonsense.

Reactions: 7
Will be interesting to see what our friend Brenda will do at the end of this month. France or not France ?
The Irish government has just declared that Donegal is at level 4 for Covid restrictions (the rest of the country is level 3). This means no travel to another county except for essential work etc.
Tonight the French government has announced that France is in a state of emergency again. Curfews, no gatherings etc.
Suspens... 😅
Breaking News

Christmas workshops at a remote chateau in France will continue as planned after an extraordinary intervention from Irish Taoiseach Martin and French President Macron.

Brenda Gibbons of Ireland, self-styled deputy chatelaine, social media sensation and flat-cap exporter welcomed the news. “This pesky virus is playing havoc with my Patreon ambitions but I’m glad the social importance of tinsel, mince pies and cardboard angels in rural France has been recognised”.

Martin and Macron released a joint statement admitting that they had never heard of Ms Gibbons but an exemption for her travel is a small price to pay rather than face the wrath of Chateau Diaries superfans.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
who is Ryan really? (Who reminds me so much of the car salesman in only fools & horses, it’s the voice) I’m sure he tries to sound like them🤣 apparently he is a web designer with no internet footprint? the list is endless!!!
Ryan is the secret love child of Freddie Mercury and Cockney Sweetheart Barbara Windsor

Getttowt ah my shattow! 😡

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I wonder where Michaels 180000 subscribers come from? Even if every single fan from Stephanie came over to him - he has so many more. He is so interesting in her videos but his own are really boring. He should do more editing. I guess I wait till Xmas and then drop by to check if his cottage is done. Love to see it finished. He choses great music though. Does anybody know what his brother does for a living?
From aplaceinthesun.com
One of the couples featured on the show became firm favourites with the viewing public. Billy Petherick, formerly a builder with a passion for restoring antique furniture, and Gwendoline Mouchel, who was an assistant manager in retail, were 27 and 24 when they bought the 18th- century Chateau de la Basmaignée in Mayenne, Pays de la Loire, for €1,050,000 in 2016, not far from Dick and Angel’s chateau. Billy is originally from Greenwich, south east London, and Gwendoline is from Cherbourg, in Normandy. Billy’s parents had moved to France and while staying with them he’d fallen in love with France – and Gwendoline.

Reactions: 8
I must have missed seeing the parents cottage on a vlog but I can just imagine what its like. They all come across as a bunch of wheelers and dealers. I recently was chatting to a friend about starting a campaign to 'Free Melania' but now I'm considering adding Gwen to the list as well
The peril of Lady Gwendoline - reminds me of the plot of The Making of a Lady (television film based on The Making of a Marchioness by Frances Hodgson Burnett)

The heroine is left on her own at her wealthy husband's family seat whilst he is away at war and a set of slimy and obsequious relatives move in and take over, draining her life blood and the family silver.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
In a Q&A she said she was married for about eighteen months, but realised marriage wasn't for her. They stayed friends but didn't divorce for many years after.
She didn’t marry Michael Potts. The marriage was with someone hitherto unknown. Her relationship with Michael Potts ended when his career took him to Amsterdam where he now lives. But they remain close. Some people think she was in a relationship with Nic but that is not the case. I also found Nic’s photo way back. That isn’t the point. He simply doesn’t want to appear in the vlogs. His wife Marie has a high-powered job. I think she’s a saint.

Christ alive, that Trotter vlog. Just watched a few minutes of them droning on about fittings. Does Michael not realise when he's editing it just how boring the presentation is, even if the subject matter is of interest.
He's trying to replicate the conversations SJ has and regularly films with Ian, Selmar etc - often she is just asking them about wood, rivets or literally watching paint dry, but her pizazz and conversation skill make it interesting and gets you engaged in the process and outcome of the project.

Trotter on the other hand is "yeah, ok, yeah, ok, yeah, ok" in response to his Dad - painful.

Feel sorry for his Dad - he was trying his best to deliver his pipe voxpop, but you can tell he was dying inside and wishing he was talking to that stone fireplace instead of young Trotty.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
The title of Master Pretherick's latest offering, "Sandblasting The Cottage", oozes the watch-me factor.

• Haha
@La Brocanteuse I think Stephanie said she married one of her university friends, but don't quote me as I was only listening with half an ear at the time. The romantic relationship with Michael Potts came afterwards. I love that photo on her blog of her, Michael, and Oliver, chateau hunting.

Breaking News

Christmas workshops at a remote chateau in France will continue as planned after an extraordinary intervention from Irish Taoiseach Martin and French President Macron.

Brenda Gibbons of Ireland, self-styled deputy chatelaine, social media sensation and flat-cap exporter welcomed the news. “This pesky virus is playing havoc with my Patreon ambitions but I’m glad the social importance of tinsel, mince pies and cardboard angels in rural France has been recognised”.

Martin and Macron released a joint statement admitting that they had never heard of Ms Gibbons but an exemption for her travel is a small price to pay rather than face the wrath of Chateau Diaries superfans.
Seems absolutely ridiculous to host these workshops!? Is Brenda going to present a perfume sprayed letter from Lalande at every Garda checkpoint she’s stopped in Ireland on her way to the ferry, explaining that she has essential business in a french chateau!?

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Seems absolutely ridiculous to host these workshops!? Is Brenda going to present a perfume sprayed letter from Lalande at every Garda checkpoint she’s stopped in Ireland on her way to the ferry, explaining that she has essential business in a french chateau!?
The ultimate "don't you know who I am?" moment, while claiming diplomatic status as Lalande's Ambassadress to the world at large.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
From aplaceinthesun.com
One of the couples featured on the show became firm favourites with the viewing public. Billy Petherick, formerly a builder with a passion for restoring antique furniture, and Gwendoline Mouchel, who was an assistant manager in retail, were 27 and 24 when they bought the 18th- century Chateau de la Basmaignée in Mayenne, Pays de la Loire, for €1,050,000 in 2016, not far from Dick and Angel’s chateau. Billy is originally from Greenwich, south east London, and Gwendoline is from Cherbourg, in Normandy. Billy’s parents had moved to France and while staying with them he’d fallen in love with France – and Gwendoline.
Billy is a builder like his dad. He also was in the horse guards when he was young (Ma P. posted some photos on one of their Facebook pages).
Michael is an unhappy hairdresser.
Gwendoline was a sales assistant in a shop in France.
But that was before she bought this chateau with her mother's inheritance (a bit young to lose your mum 😢.)

• Sad
I find it strange that given it's Gwen's money that bought the place, that all Billy's family have moved in, not hers! His parents, Michael, the unseen brother, sister and niece. Now Ryan. Maybe more?

• Wow
Reactions: 9