The Chateau Diaries #18 Porky mitts and porky pies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't understand French hiring or visa process. Nati and Phillip are both on work visas right. From what I gather SJ is supposed to hire French citizens first. Managing contractors and running a shatoo can't be that specific or specialized she can't hire a French citizen. Holding a camera can't either. So how is that working out with the visas?
They are European citizens and have freedom of movement to work anywhere in the European bloc. No work visas are required.

I find this to be extremely disturbing. Nati’s ‘we are not working with that platform anymore’ is certainly hiding the real reasons for that break-up, being SJ's contempt for their rules. Nati should be very aware SJ’s friends still refer to the current bunch as ‘her slaves’ and ‘her minions’. A new in-house volunteer program would mean the ultimate freedom for SJ to rewrite the rules and regulations, all in her own favour naturally.
SJ claims her ebegging has allowed her to create ‘jobs’. She should ask her bff Dana about that, who works for the local unemployment agency. Maybe she should also explain to her why she’s not hiring locally, including for the gardening and the construction work. She claims to be all in on French heritage and to speak the language fluently, yet she seems to have an expat like aversion of anything and anyone truly French and refuses to invest locally. That will not give her a long standing with the authorities.
Work away is not supported in France. Therefore, all the places who did have work away people now use their own. This was discussed a couple of threads ago.

I know shatO is in remote rural France but are most of the locals bi-lingual? Mary Poppins does not appear to be or maybe she just doesn’t want to appear on camera.
Short answer, No.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
They are European citizens and have freedom of movement to work anywhere in the European bloc. No work visas are required.
That doesn't mean there are no rules or regulations that should be properly dealt with. Giving employees an allowance every now and then does not suffice. Don't call it jobs then.

Reactions: 5
I got an email with instructions for a few things in an essential travel kit. Work perk. Too cold to make it to the post office 40 below with the wind chill. So I'll pick up the package next week. Anyway one of the items is a listening and filming device detector. You know that had me looking into why. Apparently Airbnb and some motels and b&bs have had these devices found in bathrooms and bedrooms. One was a cellphone proped up under a pedistool sink set to record. Airbnb has a policy that owners must let guests know where every camera is. But perverts don't do this. Airbnb has reimberced guests entire trip in the hopes they don't sue them. People have been arrested in states with laws against this. It made me think of Potty. Unfortunately it's another issue that needs to be considered when traveling.
I would be extremely concerned if work booked me in to an establishment that may record their guests. Unless if course you work ‘under cover’ for your employer.

Reactions: 4
Work away is not supported in France. Therefore, all the places who did have work away people now use their own. This was discussed a couple of threads ago.
It was discussed indeed, but your conclusion is not correct. If you take a look at the workaway website you'll see there's still tons of places in France they work with, including several chateaux. They dropped SJ for different reasons.

Reactions: 12
Everything about her is an act (manipulation). The newest vlog was the ultimate act. Everything was regurgitated from previous vlogs, (poor memory, my ass), with the exception of the inheritance. It was nothing more than a ploy to reel in new viewers for Patreon and passive-aggressively answer tattler questions simultaneously.

Everything about her is a character. Did she always speak so posh or is it an Eliza Doolittle situation where she learned to play the part to sound higher class than what she was? An adult calling her parents Mummy and Daddy tells me she refused to grow up and possibly used it as a way to get what she wants. IDK, is that a common British way to refer to parents? In the US, it’s uncommon for an adult to call their parents Mommy and Daddy (you’d probably get laughed at or side-eyed). She’s constantly putting on a one woman show for the camera and everyone around her. I’d be exhausted being around her, I get exhausted just watching the vlogs. She’s like a hyperactive shih tzu that runs around yapping and jumping on people for attention. The only way to shut her up is to put a drink in her hand and distract her with something shiny.

I just don’t get an ounce of authenticity from her, always has to be the loudest, always the most adored, and can’t seem to let anyone else shine. She lacks humility and compassion. Has anyone ever seen her pet Diesel? Thinking about it, I don’t believe I have. When has she done anything for anyone else that doesn’t directly benefit her? Does she have real friends or are they friendships of convenience? Surely she would have attempted to risk COVID to see her BFF, MPK. But instead she risks COVID to visit Anna and Philip? All because Marie wants to take them flowers? I would have put my foot down and said “I haven’t seen my BFF in months because of COVID, I’m definitely not traveling to a strangers chateau because you want to take them flowers”. But not SJ, the visit was for content and cross promotion. I don’t even think her and MPK are as close as they want us to believe. Friendship of convenience, when they are together, they each get content and cross promotion.

Every move is calculated and motivated by one thing...money.
SJ realized that people are worming up to this couple way more, bc of their authenticity mostly, so she realizes that by attaching herself to them she will benefit (the same way she realized that she needed to distance herself from MP, when he was reciving backlash but still she finds the way to use him as a flying monkey ...), they are also a good contact to the fashion world in paris - perfect new BFFs, they have something she can benefit from
but how does one do it when you want to come on top and get a praise (even when leaving one's place during covid)... you pretend that you are there to help but not just one person but also helping Marie who wanted to do the flowers - arent you a lovely person? so supportive...sure
we see through you Sj and it is only time the others will do too

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I have finally watched the latest vlog of ‘You tube saved my chateau’. I have to hand it to SJ that she has a marvellous spy network - CIA/M15/6/Mossad would be proud to have these agents! Almost all the queries we have made she has addressed - almost!
* She still hasn’t answered why didn’t she get a job to help with renovation work - like a lot of other chateau owners have done or are still doing - after her father died and she has spent her inheritance? Her mother (and Percy) were at lalaland in the summer to oversee the B&B she she was surplus to requirements.

To clear up a few questions from previous pages that I have just read:

She didn’t have to pay for her tuition at Oxford. When SJ attended tuition was free, She needed finances for accommodation, food, clothes and of course drink!! Which I assume her parents paid for unless she managed to fiddle a student grant (which you didn’t need to lay back).

Inheritance gifts - are taxable in UK - unless seven years elapses before the death of the donator, Her father’s gift of a flat (after she sold her original one) would also attract tax. As she’s never worked he must have also bought her the first flat.

As someone has already pointed out, most of her vlogs could be recorded using a tripod - cheaper and quieter than present camera person.

With the money now being generated she could have a professional person edit the vlogs. She just sends all the recording online and they could be professionally edited, getting rid of unwanted background noises (snorting etc,) and proper music, intro etc. There wouldn’t be all the jerking of scenes in today’s vlogs. She would then have more time to work on the renovation of her chateau!

If MPotts bought into the Chateau for £300k in 2019 where’s the money? Why hasn’t she used that for repairs/renovations etc. Or was that all spent on holidays / clothes and even more holidays?

Quoting British ‘country houses’ as an example!! They are real historic buildings/castles with hundreds of rooms and priceless real antiques and paintings. They are not a summer house filled with furniture/carpets/crockery from second hand shops and junk stores! No comparison SJ I’m very sorry.
Potty paid 89K for his share, not 300K

Reactions: 11
since now we have it confirmed that she is employing PP, does he have in his contract to carry her around on his shoulders as well, does he have an insurance in case he injures himself while doing it?

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Everything about her is an act (manipulation). The newest vlog was the ultimate act. Everything was regurgitated from previous vlogs, (poor memory, my ass), with the exception of the inheritance. It was nothing more than a ploy to reel in new viewers for Patreon and passive-aggressively answer tattler questions simultaneously.

Everything about her is a character. Did she always speak so posh or is it an Eliza Doolittle situation where she learned to play the part to sound higher class than what she was? An adult calling her parents Mummy and Daddy tells me she refused to grow up and possibly used it as a way to get what she wants. IDK, is that a common British way to refer to parents? In the US, it’s uncommon for an adult to call their parents Mommy and Daddy (you’d probably get laughed at or side-eyed). She’s constantly putting on a one woman show for the camera and everyone around her. I’d be exhausted being around her, I get exhausted just watching the vlogs. She’s like a hyperactive shih tzu that runs around yapping and jumping on people for attention. The only way to shut her up is to put a drink in her hand and distract her with something shiny.

I just don’t get an ounce of authenticity from her, always has to be the loudest, always the most adored, and can’t seem to let anyone else shine. She lacks humility and compassion. Has anyone ever seen her pet Diesel? Thinking about it, I don’t believe I have. When has she done anything for anyone else that doesn’t directly benefit her? Does she have real friends or are they friendships of convenience? Surely she would have attempted to risk COVID to see her BFF, MPK. But instead she risks COVID to visit Anna and Philip? All because Marie wants to take them flowers? I would have put my foot down and said “I haven’t seen my BFF in months because of COVID, I’m definitely not traveling to a strangers chateau because you want to take them flowers”. But not SJ, the visit was for content and cross promotion. I don’t even think her and MPK are as close as they want us to believe. Friendship of convenience, when they are together, they each get content and cross promotion.

The first time I watched her vlogs (almost one year ago !), I was struck by the absence of kids and pets in this chateau - and in her life. It was astounding.

Then, I got used to see Stephanie... and only Stephanie acting in her vlogs, in the centre, always in the centre of attention.

Even when she showed the attic or other rooms, you couldn't help but looking only at her since she was always wearing extravagant clothes and shoes for the situation (high heeled boots and long dress to climb a ladder to get to the attic i.e.).

I started to seriously wonder about her when she filmed herself saying bye to Isabelle at the local airport ("Maman, je t'aime" shouted in public : no, French people don't do this when they're older than 9 year-old).

Recently, my feeling was confirmed when she filmed herself... in her bed in the A&E at the local hospital !

What will be next :
Optician ? (when she kept speaking in English to Philip while the French optician looked after her which is really rude as any people living in a foreign country would know : you always speak in the common language that everybody can understand. Philip understand French. Or you say nothing not to embarrass the others) : Done.
Her GP ?
Her gynecologist ?

Everything is possible !

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Potty paid 89K for his share, not 300K
can you please explain this math?
did he buy has 10% of Nic's share which was half
original price 590 GBP (890EUR)
now 890K EUR
1/2 is 445K
10% of it is 44,5K EUR

or did he buy part of Nic's share which in total is 10% of it all?
which in value would be 89K but in actuality would be 20% of Nic's share

Anybody know when it was painted?

Throwing in my two cents.
The painting reminds me much of Pop Art, a mixture of early Andy Warhol (129 Die in Jet!) and Roy Lichtenstein (Drowning Girl).
It is a curious, miminal and modernist take on landscape painting or beach painting (think impressionists, like Monet and Krøyer)
However it's been so warped into a different perspective it comes across as a comic still (bande dessinée) à la Tintin.
Question is, did he cheapen the impressionism of the painting by going bande dessinée style, or did he elavate the bande desinée style and put it up along side the impressionist...?
I think the word I would use as a layman is 'copied'. Everything he produced is derivative.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Brilliant post! Best desciption of SJ yet; you have really summed her up and yes, I don't believe she is capable of any real affection or love. It is all linked to what she gets out of it. There is zero real compassion. I don't think she can be, or can have, a real friend. Everyone in her life is a suppoting character in her soap opera, a cast member; they are all holding her up. If she were left alone, she could not possibly remain standing for long. They are all crutches and are being used as such: financially, practically and psychologically. Most of them also have their own problems; they are there for a reason and enjoy being actors themselves but their names will never appear above hers in the titles, she is the ultimate star in her own show and everyone else is there to make her look shiny! There is something tragic about her character, not totally unlike some other tragic, but more talented divas.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I don't understand French hiring or visa process. Nati and Phillip are both on work visas right. From what I gather SJ is supposed to hire French citizens first. Managing contractors and running a shatoo can't be that specific or specialized she can't hire a French citizen. Holding a camera can't either. So how is that working out with the visas?
PP is dutch doesnt need visa, but needs to be registered as resident the same for Nutty, who is apparently Italian citizen
I might not have all info on residency but this is normally the case in all EU countries

Reactions: 8
People keep saying SJ has got a job now, hurray. She hasn’t. It’s all smokescreens and mirrors, she is throwing terms around as if she has a clue about their meaning. The only thing serious about her ‘business’ is the amount of money she is wheeling in, begging her way to people hearts. What’s serious about letting a 24 year old nitwit moderate your social media accounts without any vision for your brand or future endeavors? Has she not learned from BG’s terrifying tactics? BJJ’s flirting with that creep and not calling out Jumpsuit Jill for her criminal activities is what’s going to cost her the contract with ETTC, if not anything else. Removing constructive criticism but leaving the real bad stuff lie around is in no way an effective media strategy, which is what she will need moving forward. But she has no intention of moving forward: as soon as all her wishes have been paid for, these channels will quickly and quietly disappear. The tit-show-shat-o has always been nothing more than a gravy train for her.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16
SJ realized that people are worming up to this couple way more, bc of their authenticity mostly, so she realizes that by attaching herself to them she will benefit (the same way she realized that she needed to distance herself from MP, when he was reciving backlash but still she finds the way to use him as a flying monkey ...), they are also a good contact to the fashion world in paris - perfect new BFFs, they have something she can benefit from
but how does one do it when you want to come on top and get a praise (even when leaving one's place during covid)... you pretend that you are there to help but not just one person but also helping Marie who wanted to do the flowers - arent you a lovely person? so supportive...sure
we see through you Sj and it is only time the others will do too
Great to have you back, Sandro!

• Heart
Philip is Dutch. He's got a Dutch passport and is an European citizen. As an European citizen, he can stay and work in any European country without a work visa/permit.
We've been told that Nati has an Italian passport as well as an Argentinian passport. So it's the same for her : she's an European citizen too and has the right to stay and work in France.

I can't argue with your comment. She's just what you described.
I've given her the benefit of a doubt, since the new volunteers are strangers who need special attention, support and care to settle in. And for the vlogs she needs to act and put her best foot forward, in the long run you just realize her high principles aren't followed out of pure selfishness or fear of conflict. Which is human, but I'll stop finding excuses for her behavior, it's not worth it. All her favorites (what we've seen on YT) seem to have an emotional trauma in their past; Nati was in an abusive relationship, Marie's father was an alcoholic and she was bullied at school. I don't even want to know what kind of emotional baggage Philip is carrying. Her long staying volunteers are all people who haven't found their place in the world and SSB is a radiant personality, it must be wonderful to be lifted on her pedestal, you must feel like you've finally come home. Until the new one comes and it gets really cold.
That is exactly it. She must be climbing the walls with no new people to dazzle. But all the while she has the weak supply of people on line telling her that she is the embodiment of Mother Theresa & Princess Diana all rolled into one so she is getting some of the adoration that she so needs just to get through the day. The irony of her legion of fans being suckered into believing what they see of her when she has edited what they see of her isn't lost on me.

Reactions: 13
That is exactly it. She must be climbing the walls with no new people to dazzle. But all the while she has the weak supply of people on line telling her that she is the embodiment of Mother Theresa & Princess Diana all rolled into one so she is getting some of the adoration that she so needs just to get through the day. The irony of her legion of fans being suckered into believing what they see of her when she has edited what they see of her isn't lost on me.
And that is why she won’t hire an editor - apart from the money aspect. She needs to control every second of what appears on screen.

I shouldn't say this, but she in is danger of disintegraton.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.