The Chateau Diaries #18 Porky mitts and porky pies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The same for YouTube. They are like Tattle in that they rely on advertising for funding revenue. It's probably cheaper than paying well known channels. The more popular the vlog, the higher the revenue and the spin offs.
An article I read today about a YouTuber who can hula hoop has millions of followers on there. Steph has a long way to go to get to that level of following.
Years ago my 10 year old son at the time followed Pewdiepie on YouTube, he was making millions back then, .... i just looked him up and he makes between $20-$58 million a year. The richest YouTube is 9 year old Ryan Kaji. He made $32 million in 2020, i just cant fathom that!!!

• Wow
Reactions: 11
I got an email with instructions for a few things in an essential travel kit. Work perk. Too cold to make it to the post office 40 below with the wind chill. So I'll pick up the package next week. Anyway one of the items is a listening and filming device detector. You know that had me looking into why. Apparently Airbnb and some motels and b&bs have had these devices found in bathrooms and bedrooms. One was a cellphone proped up under a pedistool sink set to record. Airbnb has a policy that owners must let guests know where every camera is. But perverts don't do this. Airbnb has reimberced guests entire trip in the hopes they don't sue them. People have been arrested in states with laws against this. It made me think of Potty. Unfortunately it's another issue that needs to be considered when traveling.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
The same for YouTube. They are like Tattle in that they rely on advertising for funding revenue. It's probably cheaper than paying well known channels. The more popular the vlog, the higher the revenue and the spin offs.
An article I read today about a YouTuber who can hula hoop has millions of followers on there. Steph has a long way to go to get to that level of following.
That’ll be the next patreon perk, a hula hooping weekend party.

But yeah, she has a long way to go. The YouTube algorithm is going to have to start favoring her if she wants to appeal to people outside of the chateau niche. Her channel isn’t really diy or how to. She’s not very relatable or humorous, which is probably why she wants Kat back at the chateau, she has a down to earth attitude that SJ lacks. Even as I’m writing, I can’t figure out why I keep watching. I’m not drawn to her in any way, she’s not someone I’d ever be friends with in real life. Her friends are pretentious dunderheads (I’m looking at you, MPotts). Nati, Marie, and Philip are not enigmatic in any way. Selmar is fine, I like him, he’s kind, humble, and knows what he’s doing. I’m not that impressed by the chateau or the grounds or the interiors. Maybe I’ve been brainwashed by the intro music for the vlogs, as soon as I hear it, I tune in like a mindless drone until she starts reading off the patrons and then I snap out of it. Help! I think I need an intervention!

• Haha
Reactions: 27
As someone has already pointed out, most of her vlogs could be recorded using a tripod - cheaper and quieter than present camera person.

With the money now being generated she could have a professional person edit the vlogs. She just sends all the recording online and they could be professionally edited, getting rid of unwanted background noises (snorting etc,) and proper music, intro etc. There wouldn’t be all the jerking of scenes in today’s vlogs. She would then have more time to work on the renovation of her chateau!
All she has to do is make a rough edit and then send it to an editor to tidy up, add credits, soundtrack etc. But that’s £300 a day she would have to pay unless she gets a “volunteer” 😆

Reactions: 6
So looks like they are going to run an in-house volunteer program. Can’t imagine this going well...
I find this to be extremely disturbing. Nati’s ‘we are not working with that platform anymore’ is certainly hiding the real reasons for that break-up, being SJ's contempt for their rules. Nati should be very aware SJ’s friends still refer to the current bunch as ‘her slaves’ and ‘her minions’. A new in-house volunteer program would mean the ultimate freedom for SJ to rewrite the rules and regulations, all in her own favour naturally.
SJ claims her ebegging has allowed her to create ‘jobs’. She should ask her bff Dana about that, who works for the local unemployment agency. Maybe she should also explain to her why she’s not hiring locally, including for the gardening and the construction work. She claims to be all in on French heritage and to speak the language fluently, yet she seems to have an expat like aversion of anything and anyone truly French and refuses to invest locally. That will not give her a long standing with the authorities.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 29
She doesn't really need that kind of following to keep doing what she's doing. Slowly gaining patrons, youtube hanging in there. Seems like the hula hoop guy will be able to retire earlier though.

I find this to be extremely disturbing. Nati’s ‘we are not working with that platform anymore’ is certainly hiding the real reasons for that break-up, being SJ's contempt for their rules. Nati should be very aware SJ’s friends still refer to the current bunch as ‘her slaves’ and ‘her minions’. A new in-house volunteer program would mean the ultimate freedom for SJ to rewrite the rules and regulations, all in her own favour naturally.
SJ claims her ebegging has allowed her to create ‘jobs’. She should ask her bff Dana about that, who works for the local unemployment agency. Maybe she should also explain to her why she’s not hiring locally, including for the gardening and the construction work. She claims to be all in on French heritage and to speak the language fluently, yet she seems to have an expat like aversion of anything and anyone truly French and refuses to invest locally. That will not give her a long standing with the authorities.
I don't really think she can use the word volunteer now unless it's someone like the Australians on vacation building stuff. It doesn't seem like that would go well for her. Even Philip is getting paid now, and Marie made a deal because she wanted something temporary. Honestly Isabel should retire and Marie should take over the garden, but she doesn't get along with (is terrible on camera with) Isabel, so it's going to have to be a man in the garden.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I don't really think she can use the word volunteer now unless it's someone like Australians on vacation building stuff.
Well, she is, isn't she? It's in the email address Nati gives. Of course she's not going to advertise the program, all will be dealt with in private email messages, so it will be hard to check what kind of deals she is making with new volunteers. i don't doubt she's paying Nati and BJJ something, but it's certainly not clear if these are actual jobs and if one of them leaves, local people can apply too.

Reactions: 10
Well, she is, isn't she? It's in the email address Nati gives. Of course she's not going to advertise the program, all will be dealt with in private email messages, so it will be hard to check what kind of deals she is making with new volunteers. i don't doubt she's paying Nati and BJJ something, but it's certainly not clear if these are actual jobs and if one of them leaves, local people can apply too.
I know shatO is in remote rural France but are most of the locals bi-lingual? Mary Poppins does not appear to be or maybe she just doesn’t want to appear on camera.

Reactions: 5
I guess we'll see, but I think anyone volunteering now will know what they've signed up for. Her circumstances have changed with super public money and projects that will be televised. She's got a job now! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I makes total sense that in 16 years the Shato value has remained stagnated. Remember the lake that went bye bye? Who would want to buy a HMN with a swampy bog out front. And she thinks it will be 100k to reverse her idiocy but god knows how much more and I’m sure there will be massive consequences of all of that water returning and effecting the water table. Who knows maybe that crumbling terrace will end up floating!
Ah yes it is now clear to me she wants to recreate her own patch of Venice

Reactions: 9
I don't understand French hiring or visa process. Nati and Phillip are both on work visas right. From what I gather SJ is supposed to hire French citizens first. Managing contractors and running a shatoo can't be that specific or specialized she can't hire a French citizen. Holding a camera can't either. So how is that working out with the visas?
Philipp and Nati have européen citizenship, they can work in EU wherever they like

Reactions: 8
She's French and not bilingual no. No need for a cleaner in a French tit-o to be bilingual, right?
Doubt that IJ will be back anytime soon from ZA. If Nic had any sense he would keep Antoine far far away because the Superfans will be invading. This leaves SJ as the only French speaker at the chateau. Once all of these workers start arriving she may have to get out of bed before noon! Eggads!

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Why? She is hiring locally France being a colony of Britain.... sorry Ireland.... 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 4
If MPotts bought into the Chateau for £300k in 2019 where’s the money? Why hasn’t she used that for repairs/renovations etc. Or was that all spent on holidays / clothes and even more holidays?
Michael Potts paid €89,000 on 27/05/2019 for a 80 m2 three-room apartment in the château, which included a share in all the land. But yes, what happened to the money? There are many unanswered questions. The non-profit association has been set up (under false pretenses) to cover up her dirty dealings (bank accounts abroad?). She owes tax on Patreon money received prior to January 2021 and there's the question of whether she declares her YT 'earnings' and any other income, including the rental income from the flat in London. And how can we be sure that all the Patreon money is being channeled into the association? And even if she were paying tax she's still a scrounger.

And what are the Petherdicks and all the other scroungers doing? Have they set up associations as well? I think you'll find there's a whole network of scroungers and tax dodgers and the sooner the French government looks into all this and puts and end to it the better!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.