The Chateau Diaries #153 She looked old as Christ's donkey, although she was dressed as a spring virgin

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I must say I've never heard of her, as I live in Italy and she left Italy apparently in the 40ies. I'm not questioning that she may be THE Grand Dame of Italian food in UK, anyway there are so many different versions of ragù in Italy, the main two being from Bologna and from Napoli. I was referring to the ancient traditional recipe, especially the one my granny, from Napoli, prepared every Sunday and had learned from her mother, (she started the night before) so there may be other versions indeed. But the ancient philologically correct ones will not include milk or butter, which sound a more fancy and modern addition. By the way, the ragù alla blognese requires some dry white wine, while the napoletano one requires red wine. There are even so called white ragus, without tomato sauce. The versions are endless. But if you like this different version, who am I to say no? 🥰
An Italian here. No butter or milk, there are 1000 recipes here, none of them containing milk. Ragu is not gourmet food, you've heard about cucina povera? it just takes long to cook and fyi it's also the meat sauce for lasagna. A very basic recipe indeed all Italians learn from home. An honest simple recipe here:
Bolognese Sauce (Ragu) Recipe ● MARCO BITES! - YouTube

• Heart
Reactions: 23
The Chateau Diaries
2 hours ago
I was only there for two days, so I decided to have a mini break instead of filming a full video. But I also think that there’s so much happening at Lalande at the moment that it’s good to focus my videos there. The winter is a better time to film my travels, when there’s not much happening in the garden and woods at home 😊

Nothing to do with not being allowed to film the party then 😂
So if winter is best for travel vlogs, and summer is better for garden and woods... when do the renos in the chiteau and chapel take place? Never you say?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 31
I have made this cake.
Happy Juneteenth, from the fish shack, I'm exhausted. It's 85 F here and I won't be turning on the oven again until October.
Lots of nice cold fruit with Tajín.
A biiiiig black bean and corn salsa salad. With avocado and chipotle honey lime dressing. And blue corn chips. Hopefully will get us through August. 🥵

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 17
Her reply to that last comment "anyone can if they put their mind to it"... now look at her, can she get out of bed?
If you've not been the victim of narcissistic abuse then it is hard to understand how sometimes you can barely put one foot in front of the other sometimes.
When she was in the honeymoon period her view was 'Good God, I feel so incredibly lucky and grateful'. The highs & lows are the killers. Never knowing where you stand.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
An Italian here. No butter or milk, there are 1000 recipes here, none of them containing milk. Ragu is not gourmet food, you've heard about cucina povera? it just takes long to cook and fyi it's also the meat sauce for lasagna. A very basic recipe indeed all Italians learn from home. An honest simple recipe here:
Bolognese Sauce (Ragu) Recipe ● MARCO BITES! - YouTube
My Sicilian mother in law was all about the cucina povera. She joked about eating weeds (cardoons). I don't remember her food oozing with dairy. Some Parm here and there. Ribs, braciola, meat balls and maybe some piggy part like ears or tails? in the sauce. Mint in the meatballs, very Arab. Fantastic food, almost kosher in its absence of dairy.
I think she used butter in her little oval sesame cookies. Biscotti regina? But also of north Africa, where the sesames wave.
Delicious. RIP.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
All those reno's!! YT must pay well 😂 :p
Patreon pays for her renos, YouTube keeps her in Miller Lite.
I wish! My renovations are being paid for by a home equity line of credit (heloc). No chateau delusions here. My husband was a residential contractor for many years and in his current position has a wonderful working relationship with the trades. Also, he has a close relative that owns a roofing company. We will do some of the work ourselves too. Hopefully everything will come together & stay on budget.

Hope to gods that you're wearing heels while operating that digger Jules. 👠👠 If not, you're letting the team down!
Sorry, I was wearing flip flops.
9C67C0CE-7517-45AB-8CE7-872BECD30774.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
If you've not been the victim of narcissistic abuse then it is hard to understand how sometimes you can barely put one foot in front of the other sometimes.
When she was in the honeymoon period her view was 'Good God, I feel so incredibly lucky and grateful'. The highs & lows are the killers. Never knowing where you stand.
Oh I have :) I didn't have a Patreon account though to pay my way.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
My Sicilian mother in law was all about the cucina povera. She joked about eating weeds (cardoons). I don't remember her food oozing with dairy. Some Parm here and there. Ribs, braciola, meat balls and maybe some piggy part like ears or tails? in the sauce. Mint in the meatballs, very Arab. Fantastic food, almost kosher in its absence of dairy.
I think she used butter in her little oval sesame cookies. Biscotti regina? But also of north Africa, where the sesames wave.
Delicious. RIP.
You are so right! Sicilian cooking is very cucina povera (and Arab), the island has got so many influences over the millennia. The Muslim influence is strong there (to their benefit.) Dairy goes off quickly in a hot climate, maybe that's why we don't use it? The Italian American kitchen is a whole different story.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
While I'm hiding in the shade here in France I have realised that I meant to thank the tattler who recommended 'Lion'. I had it downloaded so was able to watch it on my long ferry trip. The actor that played the little boy was amazing, and what a story. In bits by the end.
I loved that film and best thing its a true story!

Reactions: 7
Thank you so much, what a lovely soßiere. I don’t think we, I mean baby has it yet. You surely can also put some sort of Creme soup in it, like creme ala fromage with some freshly made cretins on it, from crunchy French baggets.
Crétin= idiot in französisch🤪 ... croûtons would be what you would want to nibble...

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
Stephanie Jarvis is thrilled to have received a free upgrade to replace her yellow dress. It will be perfect for the Patreons’ Garden Party.
1655586243448.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I won't tell him! Cross my heart! Anyway, if you've never visited Venice, that's one thing in life you MUST experience, if of course you have the opportunity. The experience is priceless. I always enjoy watching the ecstatic expressions of my foreign friends from many parts of the world when I take them to see Venice for the first time in their lives. They all say they could never imagine how awesome and almost out of the world the place is.
If your husband never asks things costs, then take him on a gondola ride. It's about €100 for half an hour.
A friend's brother has a one room studio apartment in Venice. It has a small kitchen area, bathroom, small dining table, seating area with 2 sofa beds, and a small corner terrace over looking a canal. The studio is quite big and comfortably sleeps 4. In the Castello area, it is inside an old hotel ex-palace complex with a gym, pool, sauna, garden and cafe. Looks lovely in the photos; all original features, beautifully restored. The complex has its own boats, but you have to book them, or walk. But who could resist walking round exploring Venice?! Originally a time share, which no-one but him ever bothered to use, he was able to buy the other time-sharers out for a pittance. It cost him €28.000. He pays a yearly fee for maintenance. No idea what that is though. He has year round access and goes to Venice perhaps 4 or 5 times a year. The rest of the time, he let's friends use it, or let's it out to visitors like an Air B&B. Just think, €28.000 is 4 Ardmore vases!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Crétin= idiot in französisch🤪 ... croûtons would be what you would want to nibble...
Once again.... Cretin is an offensive and outdated term, as is "mongol" and "*******." I appreciate that the OP used it in error instead of "crouton".

Screenshot 2022-06-18 at 22.49.46.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.