The Chateau Diaries #143 how tattle saved me and my family

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not entirely sure what you mean. BUT, isn't that something to respect him for? Is THE ROSE, a bone fide respected foundation?
Absolutely is something for which I respect Dr. Rose! I laughed because it is such a contrast to his daughter.

.....and now that I am researching it because of your comment, he didn't found it. He actually has nothing to do with it, I am gobsmacked and appreciate your comment more than you can know, as I found out I am wrong about the whole thing! Thank you!

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Well, if like most ex-pats no matter where they originated from or, where they now live in the world today. I presume that occasionally they would generally really "crave" something from their "homeland" much like anyone else who is not living in their place of birth - no matter which nationality! Not unusual methinks.
I am actually rather offended by your comments @billybudd, as not all Brits are greasy fish/chips loving, beer swilling morons.
Couldn't agree more, @Summerbaby! Many examples of that, not just in Europe. And occasionally enjoying having food from one's country of origin :giggle: when travelling/living abroad does not necessarily mean one eschews the delicacies of the hosting country, non?! But there will also always be "tourists" who cannot live without Schnitzel, or fish and chips, in Spain!:LOL:o_O

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Whilst I was trying to find that pic of Steph being “too sexy for her shirt”, according to whoever wrote it on her chest, I found a pic that shows a bit more of Michael Potts’ Amsterdam flat. Featuring everyone’s favorite painting by Daddy.
5D7A778B-536E-41BF-8C19-AFE0751CBDEA.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 22
It used to be cheaper but not so much now. In the Department I live in we brought our house about 21 years ago it was cheap BUT was a complete renovation job and is worth a good price now. Brit events, I steer clear of best I can, why come here when you still want to have a 'Little England' beats me. I'd wanted to live here from my first proper holiday here at 18, took me until I was 38 to acheive it. Stands to reason the larger percentage of our clients will be the Brits as many want someone who speaks English (it horrifies me that there are people who have lived here for 30 years plus and still cannot speak a word of French). We both took French lessons before we moved out but it never prepares you for the real thing. It was very very difficult to begin with as they speak with quite a guttural accent here, plus the local dialect (patois). We'd go everywhere with pen, paper and a dictionary at the start. We made the decision to only watch French TV even if at the beginning we didn't understand a word. Our neighbours have been very good and helped. We've had to learn the language not just because it's polite and you should but also because we both work. Even though husband is self employed he still needs to be able to talk with his suppliers to arrange deliveries, our accountant etc I work for a French company and my 2 clients are French and Belgian and do not speak English. A babtism of fire but worth it as it makes you knuckle down and learn. When people say how did we learn it's a case of if you want to learn it you will, it's not an over night or 6 months you're fluent (I'd never say I was that either), it's a long hard, frustrating slog but so worth it in the end. I love my conversations with the 91 year old I work for, such an interesting lady who was born in a Chateau in the Cognac Region, grew up in Paris during the war and then moved to the countryside when she married. Love her to bits and call her Granny, bless.
Well done to you and your husband @JackSpratt for intergrating into your local community so well - it's a given, isn't it?
15+ years ago my friend from Essex, soon after his husband died, sold up everything in the UK and bought a hotel in Le Golfe Juan. As a new local business owner, she was offered French lessons - fabulous. And, whenever I visited her, most local people/guests always thought that she was actually a French speaking national. Again, fabulous!
But, in her own words to me, she was always so frustrated that she could never, or was ever quick enough, to argue her case whenever she had to meet the Maire to stand up for herself or, state her case fully regarding the needs for her hotel.
Simply put, just knowing the language, is not always knowing what you ultimately really do need to know at the endn of the day.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Well done to you and your husband @JackSpratt for intergrating into your local community so well - it's a given, isn't it?
15+ years ago my friend from Essex, soon after his husband died, sold up everything in the UK and bought a hotel in Le Golfe Juan. As a new local business owner, she was offered French lessons - fabulous. And, whenever I visited her, most local people/guests always thought that she was actually a French speaking national. Again, fabulous!
But, in her own words to me, she was always so frustrated that she could never, or was ever quick enough, to argue her case whenever she had to meet the Maire to stand up for herself or, state her case fully regarding the needs for her hotel.
Simply put, just knowing the language, is not always knowing what you ultimately really do need to know at the endn of the day.
Even if you just make the effort people are thrilled. I can stand my ground in an argument these days if I don't agree. However, there are still times when I get caught out and I've certainly not got the French accent. When I meet new French people they know I'm not French but are never sue what nationality I am, my accent must be weird. The current renovation job my husband is working on it's a mix of French and English artisans, him and the painters have been taking the mickey out of eachother today. Even if it's just that you still feel a sense of achievement.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Whilst I was trying to find that pic of Steph being “too sexy for her shirt”, according to whoever wrote it on her chest, I found a pic that shows a bit more of Michael Potts’ Amsterdam flat. Featuring everyone’s favorite painting by Daddy.
View attachment 1261988
Unfortunately daddy's painting always vibe sexually exploitable. Something dark, sinister, and secretive. Nothing I would want tainting my walls.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
🙀 So I’m getting the feeling that Travellers are what we call “Gypsy’s”? Do tell more!!!
Very interesting!!! 😮
I don't think we're supposed to use Gypsy anymore... In Canada we had Gypsy moths something wicked past couple of years, apparently now we're supposed to call them 'spongy moths' 😂

View attachment 1261988
She should pull those boots out of the attic...

Unfortunately daddy's painting always vibe sexually exploitable. Something dark, sinister, and secretive. Nothing I would want tainting my walls.
I wonder if that's why Isabelle is so irritable and short tempered.. Amaury's Mum isn't.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Not Cat fending but from London and the south east a lot of people pop over to France for a couple of days. It is so easy and quick to get there. In the past I’ve been to Lille for the day Christmas shopping, Paris for lunch and I have friends who go for weekends.
My ex husband used to work in France during the week so only came back to England for 2 days every weekend.
❤ Ah, lovely lovely Lille! It's where my mother's family is from.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Well I don't think Annalise looks in anyway heartbroken. In fact she's positivly glowing and happy.
i dont know really..i guess she tries to look happy at least...I surely hope she is happy...by what i have seen of her.. she deserves it..i would love her as my hairdresser!!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
We 3-4 pages left it is a good time to vote for the next thread title. Here are the selection from this thread.

(y) Madame dressed up as a spode spectacle @Le Comte de Monte Cristo

❤ While in France, she spends most of her time coming up with excuses to leave France as often as possible. @graciemckitten

🤣 It appears Diesel's Spode bowl was the spoils of war... @Imperious Me

😲 Spud the rooster recognizes someone who is feathering someone else' nest. @Iolair

😕 It got a one Spode chamber pot from me, but that chamber pot was full. @Iolair

🤢 'For $300/mth my Patreons get an original copy of my fanny on a photocopier, signed' @Imperious Me
Here's my vote but wow, all of them were great!

😲 Spud the rooster recognizes someone who is feathering someone else' nest. @Iolair

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Even if you just make the effort people are thrilled. I can stand my ground in an argument these days if I don't agree. However, there are still times when I get caught out and I've certainly not got the French accent. When I meet new French people they know I'm not French but are never sue what nationality I am, my accent must be weird. The current renovation job my husband is working on it's a mix of French and English artisans, him and the painters have been taking the mickey out of eachother today. Even if it's just that you still feel a sense of achievement.
That was exactly my point. If you at least make the effort, then others are willing to accommodate and, in most instances, are also willing to learn another language themselves too.
TBH, most European countries today, learn English as a second language (language of commerce worldwide), during secondary school, don't they? Whereas when I was in secondary school in the UK, I had the options of French, Italian and Latin - I studied all but today only have a spattering of each AND, unbeknown to me way back then, Latin turned out to be really useful in my later career in horticulture, as in, worldwide plant identification in connection with Carl Linnaeus' 16 century orignal, descriptive worldwide Latin naming system for plants - and is, still in place to this day.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I have a big announcement to make.....

I bought my first piece of Spode today...
I'm going up in the world!!!!

Ok ok ok. It was from T K Maxx 😂🤣😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
This is the second day in a row that Natti has featured this rooster walking into the dining room on her Instagram stories. Yesterday, Amaury had to chase the thing out of there. Today, Natti was able to do it herself.

1652383628877.png

The table was all set for what looks like breakfast. I'd hate to think where he would have gone had she not found him in time. Also, I must say, the place looks rather neat and clean, for a change.

1652383821808.png

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Day two, Spud is in the dining room again. Why is Nutti calling him Sprout??? 🤪
Side note, notice the paint job on the door and door surround. :eek:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
I don't think we're supposed to use Gypsy anymore... In Canada we had Gypsy moths something wicked past couple of years, apparently now we're supposed to call them 'spongy moths' 😂

She should pull those boots out of the attic...

I wonder if that's why Isabelle is so irritable and short tempered.. Amaury's Mum isn't.
You would be irritable and short temperated too if you had SJ for a daughter.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.