The Chateau Diaries #12 Carry on grifting

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Michael Moore - Not Michael Morrison! I got a frisson of excitement too momentarily but it was short lived when I realised my error...
At first I thought it was the Michael Moore ....the American documentary film maker and expose extraordinaire! Sadly not .

Reactions: 8
It was me! Yes, despite everything, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt...

Reactions: 7
Betty Crocker Cook I also thought the same about hygiene issues in that kitchen. Never see ANY hand-washing and so true about all the other things you say on that issue. I read in a science report that the Covid virus is so small, you could put more than 1,000 around the circumference of a hair. I dread to think what’s on the floor and surrounding areas once Annelise has finished using the kitchen as a hair salon virus

That gown was pure Fanny Craddock!
SJ’s Spirit Fashonusta

It was me! Yes, despite everything, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt...
I am SO pleased you directed me to give them a second chance. Will keep watching them and let’s watch this space, I’m sure we’ll be discussing them again particularly in connection with SJ as it seems they will be competitive dining with them in due course

Reactions: 5
Nonsense, it's taxable income. How much and what she can deduct I don't know, but probably all expenses from creating content (incl. Selmar/Nati/Philip's salaries?)
I’m not sure she would want to be setting herself up as an “employer” here...and pay actual salaries.....I believe that kind of business structure comes with a whole heap of added responsibility for your employees..like paying their social and health charges National Insurance equivalent etc....

Perhaps she doesn't listen well to people either and just overrides all good advice given - although she has been reacting to advice and suggestions given here - more using it to sway the moral code in her vlogs to keep the public on side though.
She does NOT for CERTAIN.

I can only watch this one on mute!! The wifes giggling and childlike behaviour is insufferable
I even can't watch them on mute, noone will give me these minutes/hours back..........

Reactions: 4
Does anyone know the french libel/slander laws? I am presuming as both parties based in France it would be french law at play here.
That’s correct, it would be the FR law and of the little I know about it is way stronger than the English version...so any defamation, particularly if written in an open forum, can be seen as very serious indeed...and more so if you have a business or commercial reputation involved .

Reactions: 2
Please skip over this post if you're only interested in Chateau de La lande.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit but as a lot of us aren't getting out too much at the moment I thought I'd throw in another rabbit hole for people to pop down if they're bored/interested. Does anyone remember the three sisters from Oxfordshire in the first series of Escape to the Chateau DIY? They were called Tanya, Marion and Catherine I believe and their beautiful chateau Bois Giraud is in the Loire Valley. They use it themselves but also rent it out. I was intrigued by them and did a bit of research as I wondered about their back story and how they came to own such a beautiful chateau jointly. It turns out they are titled and they were given the chateau by their father the Earl of Macclesfield.

His story is incredible. His family privately own a very beautiful 14th century medieval castle in Oxfordshire which despite being Grade l listed has never been open to the public - it's known as England's lost castle because although it exists it is completely hidden to the outside world in the middle of its own vast and heavily forested acres. The court case involving the Earl was intriguing and although his cousins eventually succeeded in evicting him he ended up laughing as he owned the entire castle contents including a perfectly preserved and rare time capsule library which sparked an international bidding war and netted him around £20 million. The crown jewel was the beautifully illustrated Macclesfield Psalter but there were also original works by astronomers Galileo and Copernicus. He also sold a painting by Stubbs for about £6 million.

Lady Tanya (the oldest daughter and one of the chateau owners and seemingly very down to earth) is involved in a fight for a seat in the House of Lords as due to ancient primogeniture laws she is currently not eligible.

Some links here:-

Reactions: 19

If you wanted to see him in person, his little news piece it’s probably on YT or on the BBC Twitter page or ITV This Morning ...Oliver Voysey. A little lad who you watch for 10 mins and give a little at the end because he’s doing difficult things in his difficult life to be selfless and grateful for what he has. Could teach a few things to a few people we know

Reactions: 6
Lululime Post 3672878 I vaguely remember that, but could you remind me what Marie did to get SJ's nose out of joint? Ta.
Clearly by being a genuine empathetic person. A bit weedy (not just the floral arrangements) & needy, but seemed to be attracting a little bit of a following. Maybe got a bit snippy at being used as the chef & having the audacity to want to leave the chateau?

I only saw it in the comments. I say good for him. If he can help by selling his designs under his own name, and also be emotionally recognised and fulfilled, then good.
Has he not done any in the whole year of lockdown?

I think they send them because they think that she is poor little Stephanie who needs to have cake & chocolate to cheer her up. Because she is living in a crumbling old millstone round her neck & she needs little treats from them. Because they have been led to believe this tale of woe from someone who has a big smile even in the face of such dreadful adversity. What a trooper she is.

@Hemerocallis Well, now that he's been taken on in his filming and social media role, I guess not. Unless you mean with regard to SJ...

Last edited:
I cannot tell you how much I love this. No wonder she has hired more staff. It must be a full time job keeping up with what real work she should be doing for her money instead of sitting in bed with a lovely cup of (free) tea & a piece of cake (that she probably barfs up afterwards).

No empathy for anyone has she?

Morning Darlings! Little bird told me that someone was whining about how unfair we are here and how our eyes see what they filmed but not in the way that they intended to... too bad

This is genius.

Last edited:
I understand that he is German speaking Italian.

Reactions: 1
Great summery

Thankyou Annie. Whilst not related to libel laws I have a memory of reporting on public figures private lives is protected as well eg politican mistresses is it privacy laws?

Reactions: 3
can't find who said it, but someone said that the B&B at lalande is shut down? you think she read things here and realized? I can't imagine she'll want to let many strangers in after what's been said maybe she's closing it down for good?
The price for the room is quite high, if her fans come it'll be a good business. It's only 5 rooms + 2 gites, Nati&Philip (both on payroll) can handle the tidying up, linen change and breakfast easily. It'll make a great watch for us too, a home invasion horror movie, remember to buy popcorn when the restrictions are lifted!

If anyone hasn't found it yet, the Chateau La Croix Honnet vlog is superb. No money-grabbing, really likeable people with taste and style, making excellent videos about their very sympathetic restoration of a chateau in Normandy.
took a 3 minute peak....saw a section of video where he went to great lengths to show & tell why he was able to knock down a dividing wall in the salon (taking up floorboards, videoing joists) when a 5 second look at the wall to see it was plasterboard stud which would (& did as we saw in the video) just peel away very easily ....but then that wouldn't have puffed out the video content I guess!!

their place is obviously much smaller than the usual shat o set ups we see and looks to be in better condition. Maybe it's just me but its clear she fancies herself as Angel Strawbridge mark II.

I don't know these guys back story or how they came to be there in the first place but I'm always fascinated how people can (a) buy a chateau & (b) afford to spend all their time renovating it themselves ...so therefore not working or earning money elsewhere .

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.