The Chateau Diaries #12 Carry on grifting

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She's panicking ~ about all the Shat oo crazed fans turning up enmass!!!
This is the bit which makes me laugh about all these vloggers etc...what may start off as a method of keeping your family updated on your activities can soon turn into, or be allowed to turn into...a pandoras box of a situation where you end up with thousands of complete strangers thinking you're their best friend!! ...and in her case, because they know the address, yes they could easily just turn up one day without invitation ...well once bloody Covid goes away

I know of people (not on TV) who own a big chateau, who have spent hundreds of thousands on the Reno & interiors, antiques etc and like to show off on IG...and before they know it they have people directly asking for an invite, and like the fools they are...they say oh yes, we are going to organise an open day for you all....who else in the right mind would do that in their normal home?? 😀

Reactions: 5
How about their income from properties they rent out?

Hahahahaha, yeah, right. So ignorance is still bliss?
You're feeding her the excuses now for more begging. Oh poor me. I am sitting here with 20 duvets wrapped around me chewing on a stale crust of Christmas panattone brought in by one of my lovely kind friends from somewhere in Europe because I cannot pay for food or heating because I now am paying my courtiers and have to pay the nasty French tax man. Cue tiny little sad smile. Boom & the cash comes in to save her. Go on Jarvis, I dare you post the next video with this all in it..

Reactions: 4
Not to underplay your calculations at all but I think some of it will be based on how she has set herself up in the FR tax system. There are a few (lots!!) different ways to structure yourself & I am no way an expert . All I do know is that on some levels you do receive a 50% discount to your total income figure and then your income tax is calculated on that lower figure. However.....In FR your whole "household" is lumped together ..and by that I don't mean hangers on but direct family who are living at the same address...& that also influences the calculations.

Having said all of that, even if she was entitled to the deduction on her income tax she would still have to declare all her "other global income" and potentially also be liable for the separate social security contributions which is approx 24% of her "business" turnover
The only registered business she has is the chambres d'hôtes business. The Patreon/youTube income is not recorded as an activity on her business profile https://www.societe.com/societe/madame-stephanie-jarvis-801982604.html .

Otherwise I agree with you, there should be social security contributions as well. But the problem is that being a YouTuber has no official status in France and it's a completely unregulated activity.

To get any reductions for family, the mother would need to be à charge (i.e. dependent), which she is not...

Reactions: 7
Marie seems pretty happy at the moment from her blog posts.

"I received my approval for a pre-settlement status in the Uk today, which made me really happy. I do miss England and I look forward to being settled there again. Please don´t get me wrong, I adore living here at Lalande, but I want to settle down a little bit more then I have done for the last few years. I´v been wanting to get a velvet sofa for years now, but I´ve never stayed long enough in one place to do so."
" I´ve been writing contracts and I hope to finish them as soon as possible since I have to send them off to a few clients already. Yay! It´s really nice to see things progress."

Reactions: 8
Just looked at this video, that salon wall is definitely block work not stud, not sure if thats the same salon video, they look like nice people, just doing work on their home!

Reactions: 2
For those of you who understand French I've got an example here (found on a French taxation forum) of someone who's received Patreon money and doesn't seem to know how or where to declare it. It all seems to be completely unregulated.

Patreon.com lui même n'a pas d'explication là dessus, j'ai juste dû signer un formulaire pour signifier que mes dons étaient payés en dehors des USA (pour leur propre compta, j'imagine), argent que je reçois par paypal, puis transfère sur mon compte.

He goes on to say that "ça reste plutôt flou et vague".

I think some clarification is needed as I don't see why I and everyone else should work and pay tax while these people get paid a fortune for making a few videos and don't seem to pay any tax at all.

J'en ai ras le bol de cette situation ! Le fisc ne sera pas tendre avec SJ et MP !

• Wow
Reactions: 12
I’m not sure she would want to be setting herself up as an “employer” here...and pay actual salaries.....I believe that kind of business structure comes with a whole heap of added responsibility for your employees..like paying their social and health charges National Insurance equivalent etc....
Exactly my thoughts! BBJ might have shot himself in the foot by giving away he was offered a job by SJ. She will not be happy about that!

Reactions: 11
I believe the flat in London is joint owned with Nic and used by then both. I assume Nic goes back to London more often with his work.

We have seen the flat in one of the Vlogs and it looks more like a small bedsit and doesn’t seem to be rented out.

Reactions: 1
Is there a backstory as to why she hasn't gone back to her home country? I mean in these weird times I think that would be where I would want to go and presumably get some social security style benefits and/or stay with friends or family. And IMO if I had started to see through who I was living in close proximity to on a daily basis, I might want to get out of a toxic environment no matter what the cost. I think that is why she is getting scratchy in the videos because she can see she is being used & no roof over the head can be worth that perhaps.
I am a new member and this is my first post. I have noticed that most of you are not and maybe have never been patrons. I have been a patron of most of the people you discuss and I searched for this site after Michael mentioned it. If you WERE a patron of Marie, you would know the answers to these questions and more.

Marie planned to go home for Christmas and then she was moving to England to start her business. All of these plans were thrown into disarray by the pandemic worsening and she was unable to travel. She was very sad about not going home because she has not been home in a very long time and is missing her family. The holidays were probably very difficult for her for this reason. As well, she appears to be an introvert (Selmar, too, I think) so she likely needs time by herself to recharge. At times when the Chateau is full and there is a lot of cooking to be done, she has worked long hours. Then, she fits in time for filming and editing which is very very time-consuming, in addition to the work she has done. Her Patreon chats appear to be very frank and I feel certain she would not be at Lalande unless the arrangements were working to her advantage.

Reactions: 19
I suggest that w**fter par excellence I-love-myself Michael Petherdick, whose world falls apart as soon as there's so much as a tiny scratch on one of his precious willow-pattern plates, and SJ at Château de la Fleur Fanée take a good look at these figures... when the French tax authorities get to know about this they will be most displeased!
Agent 007 your predatory work in the field .... is impressive 🙌🙌🙌

🍸🍸🍸 vouchers for your drinks are virtually winging their way

consider me impressed
M

😂😂😂😂

For those of you who understand French I've got an example here (found on a French taxation forum) of someone who's received Patreon money and doesn't seem to know how or where to declare it. It all seems to be completely unregulated.

Patreon.com lui même n'a pas d'explication là dessus, j'ai juste dû signer un formulaire pour signifier que mes dons étaient payés en dehors des USA (pour leur propre compta, j'imagine), argent que je reçois par paypal, puis transfère sur mon compte.

I think some clarification is needed as I don't see why I and everyone else should work and pay tax while these people get paid a fortune for making a few videos and don't seem to pay any tax at all.

J'en ai ras le bol de cette situation ! Le fisc ne sera pas tendre avec SJ et MP !
agent 007

impressive .....❤😎❤🎯😎❤😎

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I had a look at le croix honnet, nicely filmed and mostly diy, so fairly interesting, but anna is highly irritating, as someone said too giggly and child like. She behaves like his little pet, made me uncomfortable.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
She's panicking ~ about all the Shat oo crazed fans turning up enmass!!!
in the comments of her video super fans said they have sent gifts October which haven’t been opened yet. Another fan have just posted a gift for Valentine’s Day and is hopeful that it would be opened by then as she has clearly marked Valentine’s Day for nuttis attention.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I had a look at le croix honnet, nicely filmed and mostly diy, so fairly interesting, but anna is highly irritating, as someone said too giggly and child like. She behaves like his little pet, made me uncomfortable.
I agree that she is annoying so I won't be subscribing

Reactions: 5

Patreon’s tax help page is frustratingly vague. It says some EU countries do consider Patreon income as taxable, but then says that they are unable to give specific fiscal advice in the case of it being a charitable foundation because EU countries again apply different tax laws.

Attachments

Reactions: 4
I am a new member and this is my first post. I have noticed that most of you are not and maybe have never been patrons. I have been a patron of most of the people you discuss and I searched for this site after Michael mentioned it. If you WERE a patron of Marie, you would know the answers to these questions and more.

Marie planned to go home for Christmas and then she was moving to England to start her business. All of these plans were thrown into disarray by the pandemic worsening and she was unable to travel. She was very sad about not going home because she has not been home in a very long time and is missing her family. The holidays were probably very difficult for her for this reason. As well, she appears to be an introvert (Selmar, too, I think) so she likely needs time by herself to recharge. At times when the Chateau is full and there is a lot of cooking to be done, she has worked long hours. Then, she fits in time for filming and editing which is very very time-consuming, in addition to the work she has done. Her Patreon chats appear to be very frank and I feel certain she would not be at Lalande unless the arrangements were working to her advantage.
Im not a patron. And I know the information you just said. If you read through previous pages that information has been out here before.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
If we base it on just the one year that would be €124,000 in extra income with a tax bill of €55,800 (that's at a rate of 45%).
This is aside from other income sources, such as the rent from the flat in London, which has probably not been declared for many years.

So, there's €55,800 plus €112,884 for just one year, bringing SJ's total annual tax bill to €168,684, at least.

Michael's current annual tax bill is/should be €11,640, but this doesn't include tax on other income sources, such has his YouTube and GFM activities.

I suggest that w**fter par excellence I-love-myself Michael Petherdick, whose world falls apart as soon as there's so much as a tiny scratch on one of his precious willow-pattern plates, and SJ at Château de la Fleur Fanée take a good look at these figures... when the French tax authorities get to know about this they will be most displeased!
I'm sure they're looking. She might think she can charm herself out of this one too, but I doubt it. Perks of putting a spotlight on your dump in the middle of nowhere...

You're feeding her the excuses now for more begging. Oh poor me. I am sitting here with 20 duvets wrapped around me chewing on a stale crust of Christmas panattone brought in by one of my lovely kind friends from somewhere in Europe because I cannot pay for food or heating because I now am paying my courtiers and have to pay the nasty French tax man. Cue tiny little sad smile. Boom & the cash comes in to save her. Go on Jarvis, I dare you post the next video with this all in it..
I'm feeding her? Little do you know her. She does not need any excuses for begging, because she does not consider it to be begging. She thinks she's entitled to it all for working so hard and her entourage is too afraid to tell her otherwise.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 15

Welcome Orchid Grower - may you ever bloom. If you read the threads from #1 you will see several of us are still, or have been patreons. This site's existance began as a discussion point, because as fans of the original SJ vlogs you could not ask questions without being targetted.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
If anyone hasn't found it yet, the Chateau La Croix Honnet vlog is superb. No money-grabbing, really likeable people with taste and style, making excellent videos about their very sympathetic restoration of a chateau in Normandy.
Been watching them on and off since the very beginning, some good DIY ideas, and the vlogs somewhat shifted from being a bit dull and drawn-out to mildly entertaining of late. But was rather shocked to see them sucking up to *The Two Fatties* recently, seen a couple of comments from Master Peter on the *The Two Fatties* social media, real cringe imo, as in "we are dying to be in the next ETTCDIY season but we are too British to ask about it in a direct way". And that is after partying through the night with the Trotters at the Trotters palace! Tut, tut, tut 😬 But I guess they know where their bread could/might be buttered. 😇😇😇

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
Patreon’s tax help page is frustratingly vague. It says some EU countries do consider Patreon income as taxable, but then says that they are unable to give specific fiscal advice in the case of it being a charitable foundation because EU countries again apply different tax laws.
in what world is there every ANY income which is not deemed to be taxable in some shape or form??!! especially in the levels we are talking about in these examples?? and the fact that their Patreon pages are actively promoting the different memberships , so in effect advertising the "services" being offered..what the subscriber can expect to receive in return then surely it must be seen as "work" .

• Heart
Reactions: 9
FYI D&A’s merch website is attributed to a company called The Chateau Publishing Limited. Angel is one of the directors, while the rest are the owners of a commercial printing company in Swindon.

As far as I can see, D&A have no formal stake in ETTC so whether or not they could have held sway to get rid of the Pethericks and potentially put SJ to the guillotine isn’t clear.
I think they were weak on Ettc and production got rid of them , their YT channels are also boring in my opinion, MK is making excuses and in doing so has threatened A&D livelihoods, he is a lazy , doesn’t want to work and is happy to ask others to fund him , I think he was happy to be paid for the design but when he saw Angel making more money from it he got greedy and wanted a bigger slice of the pie , I believe it was Angela idea , why would MK have that idea when it’s not his potege, garden or story ? He was hired and paid , he needs to stop believing his own hype ! His ego is out of control

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.