The Chateau Diaries #12 Carry on grifting

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The Chateau is owned by three people not just SJ or her family ( mother).

It is an entity and in no way should any of the owners individual hearsay wealth have any bearing on the operation or restoration of the Chateau. Up until Patreon I would imagine that development and maintenance costs would have to be shouldered equally by all owners. Getting people to agree is notoriously difficult and everyone has different rent calls on their resources. The donated Patreon money has been designated as solely for use for the chateau under the terms agreed with the French Tax Revenue Dept. Anyone who is familiar with the French tax department will know that they are very, very assiduous taskmasters
I imagine not, as the partners do not own equal shares as stated numerous times so the financial burden is likely shared according to the percentage of ownership. The question is not only what do they do with the Patreon money but why the need to go to Patreon in the first place? Not to mention that now they may turn the whole enterprise into an charitable foundation.

Reactions: 7
Contrary to your concerns, SJ has excellent relationships with her two fellow owners and they and their spouses appear to have the utmost respect for her. This is no mean feat for such a longtime shared ownership model of anything, let alone a decrepit old chateau in need of a zillion tasks being done. I see SJ as an accidental blogger success. Everything about her backstory screamed unfamiliarity with digital media as it pertained to her career as a BnB and event host. She was encouraged by friends after exposure through ‘DIY’ and has become a success. I feel she brings a warm and welcome breath of fresh air to this now crowded Brit Chateau arena.
JMHO
The Chateau is owned by three people not just SJ or her family ( mother).

It is an entity and in no way should any of the owners individual hearsay wealth have any bearing on the operation or restoration of the Chateau. Up until Patreon I would imagine that development and maintenance costs would have to be shouldered equally by all owners. Getting people to agree is notoriously difficult and everyone has different rent calls on their resources. The donated Patreon money has been designated as solely for use for the chateau under the terms agreed with the French Tax Revenue Dept. Anyone who is familiar with the French tax department will know that they are very, very assiduous taskmasters
I hope your friend appreciates your unquestioning loyalty. Sadly, I think your loyalty is misplaced.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
My first post, lots to catch up on.
I wanted to comment on the cook our dinner contest video, in which Nati and Marie showed actual standards for upscale b n b food.
I thought Stephanie's performance on the contest dinner was sadly lacking. I don't know how much she charges for an evening meal at LaLande but I would not be staying there after witnessing her lack of planning, presentation, crude servings and underdeveloped platings
(Sorry, Selmar, you're a prince, but the little tarts, which you should be charging something like 10 euros apiece for, need 10 euros worth of garnish and presentation -- I'd go for a small scoop of home-made banana ice cream, a mint leaf, and a lemon-dipped banana slice. Also, glaze tarts before you bake, not after. Reading a good cook book is always helpful especially for baking, which is not, I repeat not, laissez faire.)
But the Stephanie meal -- big gross bowls of hideous puree with melted droopy "cheese flowers", the waaaaay over-cooked fish and veg terrines, the hideous mountain of sweet potato, salad that looked pre-masticated -- no way would I pay what I presume they want to charge for such a slap-dash meal. I'm guessing they aim for 60 euros. That meal wasn't worth 10.
The comments on the vlog say Naty and Marie were too harsh in grading the Stephanie team meal. I think they're trying to be professional and apply some minimum standards to Stephanie's really shocking lack of planning and attention to detail.
Stephanie's never working, letting the lake rot because she didn't want to spend time in court, and stiffing the gay couple who set up the B n B business she couldn't be bothered to try, add up the grifter points I was hoping I wouldn't have to calculate.
So here's my observation:
It seems as if Mummy -- who I peg as Nurse Ratchet with good manners when hustling us for money -- is the iron fist of grift in the place, firing the gay couple to grift free electrician service from the father of the homophobic volunteer. This control contrasts sharply with, and may be the cause of, Stephanie's amazing lack of a grip. Can't get out of my head the picture of the 40+ daughter lying with her head in mummy's lap in a public park somewhere, on one of their vacays.
So then, it is Isabelle who emplaced Nati, got her a salary, etc before she went to South Africa? Nati and her kind are much needed to run the place, make it pay, and have returning non-crazy customers. I was impressed by her critique of the ugly, clunky dinner the Stephanie team produced.
I was interested in how quickly Stephanie glossed over the house meeting Nati had on how to run the chateau with only five people in it. Especially now that Mummy has cut the cord.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Oh dear. I could see it coming. Won’t be watching them then !
@brocanteusse
Well it's true. All you have to do is look at her idiot stans and how they fan all over her for what???? As I've stated before it's beyond cringe.
I don't think it is true, it might surprise you the level of intelligence the "stans" have. I think lock down has certainly helped vloggers with patreon accounts, and enabled some to exploit it more than others. When I watched the zoom interview a couple of weeks ago after suffering 90mins of tripe, the audience who at times scared me as to whether they were actually breathing at times suddenly came alive when they could speak at the end, it was very sad because some of these people are very lonely that doesnt make them idiots. Yes for some of us it is cringe worthy but for others its a lifeline. I think patreon should have a ceiling of 5 or per month, thats reasonable. I think if the young couple want to spend €200 thats not a problem they need content for their vlogs, they have done serious work to date all on a budget I don;t think they are being extravagant they deserve a chance. I dont see designer labels etc. I think there is a fine line between being a critique & being nasty. Now that there are so many new members show them that we are a reasonable bunch with some concerns/questions & not a nasty bunch of trolls out to give anyone who wants to make a go of it a hard time. Because SJ & MPK have gone to town on funding it doesnt mean everyone has the same objectives.

Reactions: 9
Hi, I'm new to this site. I joined after watching Michael's whining YT vido. I feel that MP really needs a shot of reality in his life. People work. They then rent or buy themselves a home or project that they then carry on working to renovate/decorate to their tastes. They don't make a couple of YT videos and expect the world and his dog to support him in his project while he basically does nothing more than a little bit of filming whilst his senior father and his friend (Sean) do all the work on his renovation. Its obvious that Mick is a grafter but he's got his own property to graft on which I'm sure would give him more than enough work at his time of life. Michael should be ashamed of himself.

Originally I thought Michael was a fun person with a bit of get up and go. It slowly dawned on me that all he was doing was money grabbing from total strangers, so that he could carry on pleasing himself. His videos have become more and more boring and the amount of drone shooting (paid for by his adoring public) is monotonous. But his begging for me and more money has become more and more noticable. He wasn't memorable from ETTCDIY and it was only CD's videos that had brought him to my attention. The more of his YT videos that I have watched the more amazed I have become at his blatant begging for money and now even plates (at Christmas), I now find myself watching them just to see what he's begging for next, although I no longer watch the adverts.

He was employed by the lovely Angel to paint/draw a design that she had huge input into on the initial design. If he wanted to make an income from any upcoming revenues, this was the time when he should have voiced his expectations. It seems to me that the "boy" is peeved that someone is making money from something that he was paid to do and is now not satisfied with getting money for nothing just from his YT, Patreon and GoFundMe sites, he is fuming that he has been missing out on extra money. If I worked for Mr Ford and designed a car that I was paid to design, I would hardly expect Mr Ford to give me a cut of every car that was sold and call that car after me.

As to the rest of the Petherick family: poor Gwendolyne, the whole family has taken over her space when she was vulnerably emotional from the loss of her mother. Yeah, Mick's a grafter but they do have their own place so why have they now taken over the other cottage. Where does Sadie and her daughter and boyfriend/partner live? In the Chateau? Billy does do some work, but he doesn't really seem to give any support/affection to Gwendolyne. He's too busy with his buddies, doing god knows what. The poor woman looks lost and lonely most of the time while the leeches have just taken over.

After MP's performance on Friday, showing himself to be stressed and depressed from all of the negative/nasty comments on here about him, he seemed to perk up on the Petherick video about holes. If he doesn't want to receive negative comments, I guess he's in the wrong game. You have to take the bad with the good. Another shot or reality is needed there. I do wonder why there are so many people who are prepared to pay for him to live this wasteful, playful, extravagant lifestyle - one has to wonder how empty their lifes are?

Just had to get this off my chest. I'm enjoying the site. Its nice to have somewhere where people appreciate the shows I enjoy and where we can have an honest discussion, rather than the sickeningly sycophantic twaddle that is seen on YT comments.
I never bought into the whole “poor Gwen” nonsense. Imo birds of a feather flock together...
She is NOT restoring a chateau, she's over decorating it, buying astronomically priced fabrics etc. AND refurbishing her B&B with new mattresses, linens and who knows what else. B&B that I'm sure, she might not run again, because why bother running a B&B when you have fools financing all your crazy ideas, and free labor from volunteers to clean up your :poop: and cook for you and your entourage, while accumulating and hoarding piles of more :poop:

I hope those towers and attics that have been abandoned for ages, don't end up crumbling down on someone's head.

And now she wants to create a garden more ambitious than Versailles, worthy of a "grand chateau". :rolleyes:
This woman lives in Fantasyland, and for now, has the funds to turn all her dreams into reality. Just wait till the money faucet starts running dry, she's gonna find herself in debt with 100 unfinished projects.

And by the way, what the hell is that skinny boy Phillip doing there, glued to her 24/7? Weird. In so many ways. o_O
(OK done, for now 😂)
Wouldn’t be surprised if after the amount of popularity she’s garnered, she doesn’t take a page out of D&A’s handbook and start charging volunteers to come and work for her. There must be some super fan out there that would give ten years of their life if given the opportunity to wipe Madame Chatelaine’s bum for only £80 a day 😳😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
And doing hair dressing at the table where they are preparing the food! Disgusting and unhygienic!!
I thought that too..but the worst time was when Angie developed a new ice cream flavour.."Husky Hair & Vanilla"...I'm still haunted by it lol

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 5
Skinny Boy is being a mooch! He is such a bleep for the camera, always putting his gap tooth grin in the camera. He reminds me of that other camera bleep, Tomaz. Once P leaves the chateau, if he ever does, he will just be another nobody with a lame YT station and nothing interesting to say. I just wonder where he gets his money from. Obviously he doesn't work for a living and now he's become a porcelain piggy at the china factory shops. I think he's hoping that SJ will let him build his own little apartment at the chateau so that he doesn't have to deal with the big scary world out there where the rest of live.
Indeed!

Attachments

• Heart
  • Sick
That makes it even worse then - playing ‘poor me’ and raking it in on the basis that she can’t even afford to eat. I have much more respect for her if she fessed up and said ‘I’m so lucky but this is a project I’d like to do but not at the cost of everything I have. Knowing this if you’d like to help me achieve me goals, welcome on board’. .... there’d still be fans helping her (though perhaps not so many).
This is what is making me think she could really be a narc. Because she doesn't approach this from understanding her audience in an honest way. She does understand in a manipulative way though, a way that most of us cannot imagine. I figure it's something like trying to understand how a dog smells. Humans can't understand the extra perception dogs have, we don't have it. Probably same with trying to understand SJ.

She also doesn't think "if you'd like to" because there's no "if" in an extremely entitled person's mind. Because of course you want to! There's no question! How could you possibly not?

Now, she would also be studying how throw people off her trail once we're on to her. If she now says something like the quote above because she saw it here, even with a variation so it's not word for word ... well, there ya go, more evidence of narc behavior. So she's stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Reactions: 2
New member here. Came to have a look post MP's infamous vlog outburst.

Thoughts on SJ: i enjoy the practical stuff, the floor replacement, improvements to the courtyard etc, but so much is so incredibly superficial. I'm astonished by the lack of basic improvements such as insulation. As so many others have observed, apart from editing videos, what does she actually DO?? Cadeaux at the Chateau frankly revolts me. It's self-serving, knowingly encouraging further donation, and exploitative. Philip makes me think of a King Charles spaniel every time I see him but perhaps that's unnecessarily unkind.

Anna and Philip a really impressive couple, but they MASSIVELY overpaid for that chateau in that condition. If you look at comparables they've overpaid by a good quarter of a million I'd say. I just hope with Covid it doesn't sink them.

The Montmagner couple are more genuine grafters, but like so many embarked on this dream, hopelessly naive. How does anyone think its sensible to put everything you have into a crumbling pile that will only be a money pit, with only £80k budget for restoration. The roof issues they've had, not to mention the car, were so predictable. I fear for them tbh.
Omg King Charles Spaniel!!! This has to be included in a further 🧵 please!!!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
I think the Pethericks are still reading Tattle.Life. They just uploaded an homage to Pa Petherick. After we've been gushing over him the past couple of days. 💖 🤭

Thanks guys. ;)
I think that little Mick Video was a combo threat/duck off statement meant for tattlers, trolls, and Strawbridges. Pretty sure Mick has no idea. He probably doesn’t care about such things.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
@brocanteusse

I don't think it is true, it might surprise you the level of intelligence the "stans" have. I think lock down has certainly helped vloggers with patreon accounts, and enabled some to exploit it more than others. When I watched the zoom interview a couple of weeks ago after suffering 90mins of tripe, the audience who at times scared me as to whether they were actually breathing at times suddenly came alive when they could speak at the end, it was very sad because some of these people are very lonely that doesnt make them idiots. Yes for some of us it is cringe worthy but for others its a lifeline. I think patreon should have a ceiling of 5 or per month, thats reasonable. I think if the young couple want to spend €200 thats not a problem they need content for their vlogs, they have done serious work to date all on a budget I don;t think they are being extravagant they deserve a chance. I dont see designer labels etc. I think there is a fine line between being a critique & being nasty. Now that there are so many new members show them that we are a reasonable bunch with some concerns/questions & not a nasty bunch of trolls out to give anyone who wants to make a go of it a hard time. Because SJ & MPK have gone to town on funding it doesnt mean everyone has the same objectives.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I came to this site to let off some steam and have some fun. One person's satirical critique is another person's nasty comments. I'm not going to tell people how to edit themselves, say what you want, be free. If you throw yourself out to the public then you had better be thick skinned enough to take the heat because you're going to get it. I watch the SJs vlogs but not much of MP2 (too boring). I am also a patron of SJ and that's my business. This is all for my entertainment - that's all. I certainly don't take what people post here seriously. It's the yang to the YT comments yin.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
What is her fascination with him? It is obvious he's become her court favorite. Don't get it. At all.
There’s no one else to really pick at the moment. Marie already had her day in the sun and as far as relationships, friendships, people go, variety really is the spice of life for our Madame Chatelaine. For the time being, Philip is her emotional support dog, but soon enough someone else will come and he’ll be booted to scullery maid duties. Although with his allergies, I doubt that’ll last long 😒

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Wow, only go offline for 36hours and so much to catch up on!

One little bit to add re MP saga. He states they’re his designs (which I do not doubt) but where did the ideas come from? If the whole idea for the designs were not his does he ‘own them’? Did he just merely draw another persons vision.

Compare it to say the Beatles (you all know the Beatles). They had the ‘idea’ for their music (and words) but what if they couldn’t write the music down and someone else wrote it down for them? Who does it belong to?
Totally agree MK just drew it and got paid for it , the idea was hers around her family garden , also his drawing is a rip off of vintage prints I’ve seen before of vegetables in fact when SJ was filming in a Christmas video with mason she panned over some postcards in a shop that were practically identical

• Wow
Since I am new here and way behind, I am not sure how to insert a new comment that is not a reply to a previous one, but here goes anyway. After reading all the comments about the Trotters being Irish travelers, and I think you all are correct about that as we have them here too with their shady driveway paving and re-roofing scams, along with a few comments about not insulting any ethnic groups, I thought I'd point out that I have NO gipsy blood, so I am not offended. I have long been a fan of gipsy music, and BTW the Gipsy Kings spell it this way, and yes I like their music, but listened to it and Spanish music since my childhood because my mother played it often. I am American with English, Scots, Irish, Swiss, French and German ancestors and genealogy is something I have enjoyed for many years. I have been called a "gipsy spirit" because I've always been doing my own thing, without concern for what others think, wearing fringed shawls, peasant blouses, gipsy skirts and boots, lots of jewelry (real, not costume, because I collect antique jewelry) and wore white tie and tails to the opera before Princess Diana wore a tuxedo. So friends of my kids have called me "gipsymom" and that name has sort of stuck. I am fine with it.

I have been a professional theatrical costume and bridal gown designer and dressmaker for over 30 years and will comment that the "medieval" gowns the girls wore seemed well made, if not historically accurate, which the designer never claimed them to be. Cat looked great in her blue gown, as the dresses are pretty and figure flattering. However the fabrics were not the best choices with the huge floral patterned sleeves, most likely a lot of polyester blends. I'd have gone with either a contrasting fabric or a smaller patterned brocade. Good move on Sian's part though, as I am sure her sales have greatly increased since being showcased to SJ's more than 100K viewers.

Back in the spring of 2020 I discovered SJ and her vlog and binge watched as I was captivated. Castles and restoration have long been a big interest of mine, as well as fashion and cooking, so her show was all that rolled into one and much more enjoyable than regular TV, which I gave up several years ago. Though I am retired from the bridal and costuming work and closed my actual brick and mortar store some years ago, I still sew for my enjoyment and that of others, and actually sell some of my colorful creations online, but often give things away as mostly what I do now is from recycled thrift store sweaters, which are not costly, and always washed and shrunk before being cut apart. I was going through some unsold items back in July and realized I had something that would fit SJ and also would fit in with Lalande, though it had been made before I discovered SJ, so I packaged it up and sent it to her as a birthday present. I figured if she liked it, great, if not she would pass it along to someone else. Also there was the chance that she would wear it and send me a photo which I could share, or possibly others would like it and want something similar. This was before the separate cadeaux channel and things got way out of hand. It took about 6 weeks to arrive at Lalande and another few weeks before it was opened, which by then was on the newly created gift channel. In case you have not guessed by now, it was the hooded peacock colors dress, which of course she exclaimed over and actually did put it on, which is on the Sept. 21 cadeaux video. I suppose I have gotten a few orders from that appearance, as I have shipped a few things to France and other places in Europe, mostly just hoods and arm warmers, but I had customers from Europe long before this. Not a single person has told me they saw my garment on her video so I am only speculating, but the stats did show an increase in views during that time. I do not know if SJ has actually worn it since then as she said it would be perfect for cold weather in the chateau. I would imagine that there are others who are like me, who actually enjoy her vlogs and wanted to let her know by sending a gift, and hey, if it promotes themselves as several have done, fine. 100 Stars and Spode have certainly sold loads of stuff since she started promoting it, so the free advertising works. Other things are truly "tacky" as we Americans say, and Queen Brenda is just over the top, with her arrogance and self importance. I do agree that unless SJ steps in and nips that whole "toile panals" and teacups idea that she will soon have to face some branding and trademark issues. She would do well to print and sell calendars and cookbooks as a start before Queenie corners that market.

Well enough about all this for now, but I wanted to explain a few things without anyone feeling like they had to tiptoe around me for fear of offending me. I do not get offended easily, unless it is with self-appointed "official" fanpage Queens. BTW, before I discovered here that Karen Cbomb's page was her own, I had posted a single comment there with a photo of a handy tool that I thought Selmar would find useful and she promptly deleted it, as if I were trying to sell it. I have since left "her" group.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I hope your friend appreciates your unquestioning loyalty. Sadly, I think your loyalty is misplaced.
Not a friend at all

I’m a million miles away in NZ. Found CD during our lockdown and appreciate how SJ elevates spirits and encourages and includes her viewers. No matter how misguided some believe it to be, during the dark days of Covid 19 people have appreciated these sorts of shows as an escapism.

Reactions: 13
The problem with so many dietary restrictions is that the food will turn out boring and institutional. I always wonder why they don't come out with a set menu that includes options for all. Many times it is just a mish-mash of what's on hand. I saw a reply earlier about Mandy's distaste for mushrooms and that somehow just because she was a vegan she shouldn't turn her nose up at that. I was a vegetarian for years and never have liked mushrooms. Many people assume that serving mushrooms to vegie heads is some kind of treat and a good substitute for protein. NOT! When you have a restrictive diet as an adult you are on your own when it comes to eating out. You just deal with it without making a fuss.
I made the mushroom comment out of frustration that not only is she fully vegan she is fussy about which vegetables she will eat. She is a guest in someone's cold chateau in the middle of nowhere France, in winter (so no vegetables from garden). Her diet is so limiting. It is a challenge to feed her.

Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.