The Chateau Diaries #12 Carry on grifting

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My first post, lots to catch up on.
I wanted to comment on the cook our dinner contest video, in which Nati and Marie showed actual standards for upscale b n b food.
I thought Stephanie's performance on the contest dinner was sadly lacking. I don't know how much she charges for an evening meal at LaLande but I would not be staying there after witnessing her lack of planning, presentation, crude servings and underdeveloped platings
(Sorry, Selmar, you're a prince, but the little tarts, which you should be charging something like 10 euros apiece for, need 10 euros worth of garnish and presentation -- I'd go for a small scoop of home-made banana ice cream, a mint leaf, and a lemon-dipped banana slice. Also, glaze tarts before you bake, not after. Reading a good cook book is always helpful especially for baking, which is not, I repeat not, laissez faire.)
But the Stephanie meal -- big gross bowls of hideous puree with melted droopy "cheese flowers", the waaaaay over-cooked fish and veg terrines, the hideous mountain of sweet potato, salad that looked pre-masticated -- no way would I pay what I presume they want to charge for such a slap-dash meal. I'm guessing they aim for 60 euros. That meal wasn't worth 10.
The comments on the vlog say Naty and Marie were too harsh in grading the Stephanie team meal. I think they're trying to be professional and apply some minimum standards to Stephanie's really shocking lack of planning and attention to detail.
Stephanie's never working, letting the lake rot because she didn't want to spend time in court, and stiffing the gay couple who set up the B n B business she couldn't be bothered to try, add up the grifter points I was hoping I wouldn't have to calculate.
So here's my observation:
It seems as if Mummy -- who I peg as Nurse Ratchet with good manners when hustling us for money -- is the iron fist of grift in the place, firing the gay couple to grift free electrician service from the father of the homophobic volunteer. This control contrasts sharply with, and may be the cause of, Stephanie's amazing lack of a grip. Can't get out of my head the picture of the 40+ daughter lying with her head in mummy's lap in a public park somewhere, on one of their vacays.
So then, it is Isabelle who emplaced Nati, got her a salary, etc before she went to South Africa? Nati and her kind are much needed to run the place, make it pay, and have returning non-crazy customers. I was impressed by her critique of the ugly, clunky dinner the Stephanie team produced.
I was interested in how quickly Stephanie glossed over the house meeting Nati had on how to run the chateau with only five people in it. Especially now that Mummy has cut the cord.
Nice write up! I would not be putting my order in for dinner at the chateau. SJ is not the gourmand she likes to think she is and her cooking skills are of the Betty Crocker variety. And of course, let's not forget that there seems to be absolutely no proper hygiene practices in the kitchen. I've seen people dip their fingers into shared food, comb their hair over the table, come in from outside and not wash their hands, and of course this is the shared space for the adhoc beauty salon. Poor Selmar, he really is out of his league when it comes to preparing food. He lacks imagination in this area. For someone with such an artistic bent it surprises me. Originally, he was going to make his damn apple cake, which is really a pie, with a banana thrown in! Why oh why? Then we find this boring but cute pastries with apple and banana, once again, why oh why would you mix apple and banana together unless you are making baby food. He didn't glaze them correctly because, as usual, someone doesn't/can't eat eggs. Egg yolk is the best for giving that wonderful and enticing shiny brown crust. I would just have glazed anyway and left one or two without. I just felt that SJ and the boys tried too hard with everything - the menu, the venue, the table setting - too much! They just never know when to stop. Plus I absolutely hate that RIDICULOUS BLUE GOWN - it wish it would catch on fire and be gone forever, of course, I wish no harm to the wearer.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Nice write up! I would not be putting my order in for dinner at the chateau. SJ is not the gourmand she likes to think she is and her cooking skills are of the Betty Crocker variety. And of course, let's not forget that there seems to be absolutely no proper hygiene practices in the kitchen. I've seen people dip their fingers into shared food, comb their hair over the table, come in from outside and not wash their hands, and of course this is the shared space for the adhoc beauty salon. Poor Selmar, he really is out of his league when it comes to preparing food. He lacks imagination in this area. For someone with such an artistic bent it surprises me. Originally, he was going to make his damn apple cake, which is really a pie, with a banana thrown in! Why oh why? Then we find this boring but cute pastries with apple and banana, once again, why oh why would you mix apple and banana together unless you are making baby food. He didn't glaze them correctly because, as usual, someone doesn't/can't eat eggs. Egg yolk is the best for giving that wonderful and enticing shiny brown crust. I would just have glazed anyway and left one or two without. I just felt that SJ and the boys tried too hard with everything - the menu, the venue, the table setting - too much! They just never know when to stop. Plus I absolutely hate that RIDICULOUS BLUE GOWN - it wish it would catch on fire and be gone forever, of course, I wish no harm to the wearer.
That gown was pure Fanny Craddock!

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
The Chateau is owned by three people not just SJ or her family ( mother).

It is an entity and in no way should any of the owners individual hearsay wealth have any bearing on the operation or restoration of the Chateau. Up until Patreon I would imagine that development and maintenance costs would have to be shouldered equally by all owners. Getting people to agree is notoriously difficult and everyone has different rent calls on their resources. The donated Patreon money has been designated as solely for use for the chateau under the terms agreed with the French Tax Revenue Dept. Anyone who is familiar with the French tax department will know that they are very, very assiduous taskmasters
No, Steph owns the largest share so has majority control, though I doubt it's legally confirmed between them her share is the main chateau, clearly evident. The boys were brought in to cover the purchase price, in exchange they got apartments they could holiday in and rent out. Hence why theirs are almost immaculate, same with her mother. But it is very much hers. The tax situation would be an interesting one, dependant on the country registered. Steph is obviously french registered now. The others, I doubt they are, legally speaking it's just a second home. Then comes the French B&B regs, I doubt again the whole thing is represented as "one business" more likely several with their each individual owners.

But I'm no expert.

The chateau is not being renovated it's being decorated. There is a difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
Egg yolk is the best for giving that wonderful and enticing shiny brown crust. I would just have glazed anyway and left one or two without.
It took me all of three seconds to google a vegan glaze for pastry. It might take longer there, admittedly.

• Haha
Wow, you the ex, right? Do tell Mr Clark how much exactly was the alimony payment? 😁
No, I was too old or her by about 10 years back then. I wasn't spontaneous or into drugs either so I didn't fit the bill. Sad really ha.

Edit - never saw Steph on drugs or had the impression she took anything but literally, everyone around her was on something, and the boyfriends liked to dabble in their younger days. Michael always had "shiny eyes" as we used to say.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
People here too who would know more than me especially re property like the run down chateaus, that you need minimum the same as what you paid for the house to cover the renovations if not more. Why anyone would take such a project on without funds or a business plan for the premises long term astounds me
You’re right, it is at least the same amount again as the purchase price To renovate...properly!.

But anyone who believes that these people have no idea of the costs are kidding themselves. Of course they know...it’s all an act. Here , when a house is put up for sale, the seller has to provide a report which notes the condition and age of certain things , think it includes safety reports too....the report has a certain lifespan but certainly is designed to last a while and is then shared with potential buyers. So in effect it’s a little bit like a pre purchase survey but maybe not quite as detailed. And...of course a buyer has the option to pay for an independent surveyor and get indicative quotes for any repairs etc...so in theory a buyer should never get caught out

I think the ones on tv don’t always want to divulge their budgets and spending levels to all and sundry in the world of social media or whatever, perhaps for fear of being judged to critisised so they pretend they have a low or non existent budget and that they’re slaving away all night doing it themselves 🤓

the Honfleur place is in a nice area of Normandy , so will bump up the price as the rest of the department isnt super expensive. I think these were the guys I saw recently struggling to get their top floor family apartment kitted to live in and in one episode he was “struggling” to fit plasterboard and made a bit of a mess of it in places . Then it showed 2 “volunteers “ coming to help...and by the next episode the whole area was fully plastered without explanation or video to show who did it.so again, we‘re expected believe it was a one man job where he struggled on his own....mmmmm 😏
[/QUOTE]
Hah...I saw that episode and the, as you say, "2 volunteers" who sorted the job out tout de suite! Only now seeing what you say and your previous posts on French laws re experts v handymen v diy'ers.. - but they're not going to say "so we paid Franc and Pierre é350.00 each per day to do the job properly" - by the way, please dontate to our patreon fund and buy us a coffee to supplement our business. Gosh they're all clever hoors (as we say in Ireland)!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
Good heavens... How many people does it take to make a few videos a week and manage a couple web pages? Will Cat be employed to brush Stephanie's teeth next?

7.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
Good heavens... How many people does it take to make a few videos a week and manage a couple web pages? Will Cat be employed to brush Stephanie's teeth next?
At this rate she'll be arriving with her entourage in a convoy of vehicles. For someone relying on other people to fund her lifestyle, she's accumulating quite a staff! So I assume Baby Phil will be Chauffeur/ Lady's Maid/ Page of the Garderobe and Close Protection Officer. Bless him, no-wonder he brought all of those tight little suits with him.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Not a friend at all

I’m a million miles away in NZ. Found CD during our lockdown and appreciate how SJ elevates spirits and encourages and includes her viewers. No matter how misguided some believe it to be, during the dark days of Covid 19 people have appreciated these sorts of shows as an escapism.
I don't think anyone is against the show as entertainment, and a great mental escape to these times we're all living. I think that's why many of us are here, because we enjoy the vlogs (most of the time, except the shameful gift show) and in my case, I joined last year because I didn't feel free on YT (I don't belong to the FB groups or any other) to make any comments that seemed to question SJ or her cast of characters, without being called a troll.
I feel here there's freedom to express yourself about what you like and don't like about Stephanie and TCD, and make good fun of things too.
Haven't been around for a while, but I personally welcome you and hope you enjoy expressing yourself freely.
Bienvenue
;)

• Heart
Reactions: 20
SJ reminds me of Queenie from Blackadder during the gift grabs......just needs a lisp.....

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I love the reference to Grey Gardens! I can just see Mummy and SJ in the same situation if they aren't careful. Sometimes I think they already are on their way to just such a place. Let's hope good old Percy stays alive long enough to keep IJ slipping down that rabbit hole. I see SJ her slipping more and more into some really bad habits of not staying current with la mode, especially with her attire. Those designer clothes people keep mentioning are passe and probably bought second hand just for the label. She did get a nice Dior full-length coat from a fan. I even saw BJJ wearing it. Most of her stuff is cheap Zara dresses that she is way too old to be wearing and other unflattering things from the bargain bin. It's odd because she can look great when she chooses more conservative styles that suit her. I can't help but think much of her fan base loves all these tacky choices because, quite frankly, it's what they are probably wearing or would like to wear too. We'll see how long the Marie Kondo clothing clean up bonanza lasts! I really want to know what she does with all those horrible items of clothing her fans send her. It's like when my grandma gifted me some horrendous dress that I had to wear at least once then discreetly disappeared. Honestly, people who gift personal items of clothing to people they don't know is weird. I'm sure they're looking for those items to be worn in the videos. Dream on! SJ is too vain for that and I don't blame her!

So Philip, Nati and Selmar are now employed by SJ. Marie is cooking all the meals and paying rent on the stables......no wonder she scored SJs meal down

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
This was from fb
this was from fb though, I try not to show the pics and names.I know it's public but still. People chose to post on Facebook and not here, so...

Haha, I wanted to look up their insta and did a quick search chateau +fleur and quite many came up. Once I saw the post below I knew I am right, this could be only Maries flowers. So it seems she has created herself a brand😂💐
Wildflower Angel style - have a look at D&A chateau website - 'Next' sell bouquets of flowers based on D&A's wildflower wedding cutting garden - D&A also have a partnership with 'Sainsburys' who produce a scent that they created. They also list the partnerships that they have, including visual artist on their website.

A lot of brand to hurt and a very very bad move by MPK. Extremely unprofessional. A bleating (and extremely public) attitude will get you nowhere in business and is a dysfunctional basis for a business start-up. Nobody in their right mind will want to commission you. Loose lips sink ships. As was said earlier he is now the 'troll' for D&A. He made it public, his family are involved on social media and they are actively trying to harm D&A brand and cause them loss of business/reputation.

It is attitude that will take you places Michael, you just seem to have chosen the wrong one. The golden manchild has spat his dummy out of the pram for all to see. If you don't like what is being said about you here then simply stop reading. It's not difficult. Do you think D&A read? Get a grip!! Also people will talk even without the internet. Ask your dad!! Workplace staffrooms can be brutal. It's just life.

SJ's response and the example that she used has just clearly shown that she is cut from the same cloth. Unprofessional and murky. Obviously does not know how to handle PR & marketing. Airing your dirty linen in public will go one of two ways as we know from many 'celebrity' examples but at her level it is a dangerous game to play if you are being duplicitous and are indeed sitting on a stately pile of 💸💸💸💸💸💸💸💲💲💲💰💰💰.

Does she really think people are that stupid that they won't see within the satire and over analytical personality comments the common running theme of .. MONEY and her presentation of her finances + the continuing overt display of gifts when she was actively advised by her co-owner / business partner not to do it.

Perhaps she doesn't listen well to people either and just overrides all good advice given - although she has been reacting to advice and suggestions given here - more using it to sway the moral code in her vlogs to keep the public on side though.

If they think that this is just contained to youtube and tattle I would say that they are sorely mistaken. They have just messed with three corporate media brands publicly which I am sure will not sit well with their lawyers. Whether they feel that they need to act .. we will wait and see.

They should also think deeply about the fact that Brenda Gibbons and Michael Petherick both publicly posted the links to here. And .. if MPK had actually been legally wronged by D&A, a whinging youtube vlog is obviously not the correct way legal way to deal with it. Man of the lost designs 'MOLD' meets 'LOLL'.

MPK's view of his ancestor seems to be skewed just a tad.

" Petherick went to Africa in 1845 on a fruitless search for coal deposits in the interior of Egypt and the Sudan and remained in the Sudan as a trader. He later transferred his energies to the investigation of the tributaries of the Nile that run through the southern Sudan, notably the Baḥr-al-Ghazāl. In 1853 he reached the borders of the Zande nation. Following the publication of his accounts of his travels, Egypt, the Soudan and Central Africa (1861), the Royal Geographical Society appointed him to meet John H. Speke and James A. Grant on their return from discovering the source of the Nile. While carrying out further investigations in the Zande country, however, Petherick misjudged Speke’s arrival and missed him. "

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
So Philip, Nati and Selmar are now employed by SJ. Marie is cooking all the meals and paying rent on the stables......no wonder she scored SJs meal down
Wonder where his salary is coming from?

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.