The Beatles

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm relieved it sounds like a Beatles record, Jeff Lynnes production on the 90s songs were too ELO sounding. It's a lovely song with so much significance, what a haply Beatles time it is!
I'm quite fond of Free As A Bird but you're 100% right; this sounds so much more like the Beatles.

It's lovely; hearing John and Paul's voices harmonise is just divine.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I love that the B side is Love Me Do, I’m thrilled with the song, I think the more I hear it the more I love it and I hear something new.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I just can't get over that we have brand new singles from both the Stones and the Beatles in 2023 ... Who would ever have thought such a thing would be possible? We are so very blessed.

Reactions: 11
Love Now and Then. It's quite an emotional listen. Enjoyed the short documentary too. Stellar work from everyone involved.
I wonder if Free as a Bird and Real Love will be remastered using the same technology?

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Love Now and Then. It's quite an emotional listen. Enjoyed the short documentary too. Stellar work from everyone involved.
I wonder if Free as a Bird and Real Love will be remastered using the same technology?

I hope so, I would like to love those songs but they need a remix. The Now and Then video has been released today, on the 2nd watch its really caught me! Might have to go sit in the 1st aid room and have a bit of a sob!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I'll probably get some flak for this but I'm not so keen on the latest single. It's a bit sad sounding and I can't hear Ringo although in the video he is shown to be singing. I think the orchestral bit drowns out some of the vocals. Apparently George didn't like it when they attempted back in the Anthology days. I prefer Free As A Bird and Real Love to this. It just doesn't sound like a Beatles track to me. I otherwise love all their music (except Run For Your Life and Mr Moonlight).

• Heart
I'll probably get some flak for this but I'm not so keen on the latest single. It's a bit sad sounding and I can't hear Ringo although in the video he is shown to be singing. I think the orchestral bit drowns out some of the vocals. Apparently George didn't like it when they attempted back in the Anthology days. I prefer Free As A Bird and Real Love to this. It just doesn't sound like a Beatles track to me. I otherwise love all their music (except Run For Your Life and Mr Moonlight).
You're allowed to give your opinion without getting shouted at, and you make some fair points.
As with all things of this nature, I often wonder if Lennon or Harrison would have been on board with it.

Reactions: 8
this is how i feel! i felt emotional when i heard it (purely because of what it represents) but the layering appears to have taken all the heart out of it imo. compared to (as an example) real love which still very much seemed to sound like john would have wanted it too and maintained its soul. the orchestra sound is far too loud too i agree.

Reactions: 1
I would have preferred a an unbeat belter but I appreciate its significance and poignancy. The video is baffling but still knocks me at the end!

Reactions: 1
I think the song is beautiful, but (maybe just because of the way my mind works) I find it hard to accept a John Lennon demo from the 70s as a Beatles song.

At that point in time he was doing his own thing, what he was working on then wasn’t intended for a Beatles record.
Like, imagine Instant Karma only ever made it as far as demo form, and then got reworked and released in this way, it would feel wrong.

However, I respect that this is a really meaningful thing for both Paul and Ringo, and for the fans.

According to an interview with Paul McCartney, George just felt the tape quality 'was bleeping rubbish' not the actual song itself.

• Heart
Has anyone seen the official video yet? It’s a good song but I can’t take Ringo seriously in his tracksuit looks out of place lol

it’s sad as it’s their final song ever.

• Heart
Has anyone seen the official video yet? It’s a good song but I can’t take Ringo seriously in his tracksuit looks out of place lol

He looks totally miserable in the video IMHO, like he doesn't want to be there. But I'm not overly keen on the video. Why so much of the string players? Why not just concentrate on the legacy of the greatest band of all time?

I agree the production is odd. But then I'm no fan of Giles Martin's tinkering. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a purist and I like the original recordings with all their flaws and technical constraints.

And why did they leave out the large portion of the demo where John sings in falsetto?

I don’t like the use of AI to reinvent music / images. I am probably ridiculously traditional, but prefer to see everything as it happened on the day.

I love both the Beatles and Abba, but I don’t enjoy seeing AI versions of them. Both were not around for long - but they produced enough great music in the short time that they were together.

Reactions: 9
I don’t like the use of AI to reinvent music / images. I am probably ridiculously traditional, but prefer to see everything as it happened on the day.

I love both the Beatles and Abba, but I don’t enjoy seeing AI versions of them. Both were not around for long - but they produced enough great music in the short time that they were together.
There's no AI usage in the music - we're not hearing a recreation of John's voice.

Reactions: 3
There's no AI usage in the music - we're not hearing a recreation of John's voice.
No but there is a lot of CGI going on in the video, some of which I don't think works well at all. I think this is what the poster meant.

Well there have been a lot of comments anyway on that internet thing re AI being used in the track which is total bollocks.

I'm not a mad fan of those sections of the video - doesn't quite work and isn't necessary. Would have loved to have seen more footage of Paul, George and Ringo working on the track back in the 90s.

• Heart
I think the confusion is because AI tech was used to extract John Lennon’s vocals from the original demo, but it wasn’t used to create any synthetic music or vocals.

IMG_5114.jpeg

Reactions: 2
AI may have been the wrong description for me to use regarding the audio (I was clumsy describing it as AI).
I suppose what I don’t like is how it is produced. I prefer living artists to be involved with how the song is put together / finalised.
We don’t get that with much modern music these days - which is probably why I don’t like the sound of it and remain stuck in the past..

• Heart
He looks totally miserable in the video IMHO, like he doesn't want to be there. But I'm not overly keen on the video. Why so much of the string players? Why not just concentrate on the legacy of the greatest band of all time?

I agree the production is odd. But then I'm no fan of Giles Martin's tinkering. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a purist and I like the original recordings with all their flaws and technical constraints.

And why did they leave out the large portion of the demo where John sings in falsetto?
Yes the bridge really makes the song so it's a shame to have left that out, I imagine Paul would struggle to do the falsetto now, and I am guessing they're happy to use technology to use what exists but not use it to make a completely new ai generated vocal? And i'd agree with that rule I think
---

On my first watch I thought "bleeping really?" And I did feel a bit put about by Ringos garb but the more I watch it the more I like it and Ringo is being 100% Ringo, in his Ringo t-shirt, long live Ringo!

Last edited: