The Beatles

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A thread to discuss the Beatles music, and for gossip, or just to finally admit that you don’t like Imagine!

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Grew up with them in the 80's.
Hard to pick a favourite album.
But as far as TattleLife is concerned, if they didn't have Paul McCartney there's no way they would have been signed!

Reactions: 4
Another vote for not liking Imagine, I also dislike Hey Jude! Been a fan of The Beatles since ITV showed The Anthology when I was but a child.

Reactions: 6
You don't need to like them, either their art or their personal lives, but they are quite simply most important band in the world.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
How can I not join in! Thank you so much for starting this thread. I've been a lifelong Beatles fan. I can’t think of any other band who made such fast musical progression across the short time they were together. I find it incredible that Please Please Me and Abbey Road were recorded seven years apart. Seven years!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I think Remember should have been the piano song to remember John Lennon than Imagine.
It was weird growing up (John Lennon's assassination first story I can remember) and seeing this cheesy song that wasn't as good as Being For Benefit Of Mr. Kite suddenly grow into this Peace movement cooption by Commerce and Politics that song had become.
Think they were right to split up. We'll never know what pressures they were under.
Yes, there won't be another band to make that much of an impact as The Beatles. But that's not to say every band should follow that formula.
There's music I like now (MGMT. Apparently arseholes as people but I love their music) that I wish was touching Sgt. Pepper's numbers.
But these are the new 21st century times. Whatever progress The Beatles inspired has been destroyed by the Tories making life miserable for their people over stories in newspapers.
Which increases the demand to listen to music to escape to happier times.

Also, I used to be a decades old Pink Floyd fan. But since 2020 I can't bare them! Can still listen to The Beatles and Hendrix though.

I'm another who does not like Imagine and feel the song has been hijacked due to JLs untimely death.

Recently went to Liverpool and did the two museums, the bus trip (penny lane, strawberry Fields and 3 childhood houses) and the cavern club and was very impressed with the Pete Best museum packed full with memorabilia.

Bookmarking this for when my brain is working a bit better. Feel free to hit me with Qs and trivia! I am a Beatles geek. Geakle?

For now - I've mentioned this before in the slopgoblin thread. My dad saw them live just as they were hitting the big time (early '63). Not impressed, my dad particularly called out their "woeful stagecraft". Lots of mumbling and dicking about. "They'll never go anywhere" he said to his mate.

(He has never won the lottery)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I'm another who does not like Imagine and feel the song has been hijacked due to JLs untimely death.

Recently went to Liverpool and did the two museums, the bus trip (penny lane, strawberry Fields and 3 childhood houses) and the cavern club and was very impressed with the Pete Best museum packed full with memorabilia.
i went Liverpool few years back & did that bus trip (the magical mystery tour) and Holly Johnson brother was our guide !
Thought strawberry fields was going to be something a bit more impressive than a red gate though! but the one in central park NY is nothing special either ..a mosiac with words imagine in centre and people sat all over it.so you cant actually get a photo!
...but i did love Penny Lane and seeing how they wrote songs incorporating what they saw around them.

Reactions: 3
The best thing I've ever seen in my life: John Lennon and his mad wife performing with Chuck Berry. Chuck's face when Yoko starts wailing....

John Lennon & Chuck Berry | Yoko Ono 'singing' the whole song in an alternate reality from 1972 - YouTube
Chuck's eyebrow raise when the second wail starts Hahahaha.

British Scandal podcast have an interesting series called The Ballad of Yoko and John, I did alter my opinion of Yoko after listening. The first episode focuses on John's early life.

Reactions: 2
I'm sorry... imagine is incredible ... its the simplicity if the melody and the words...the beatles and their endless mythologies❤❤❤ ...so bloody special and as another rightly said important...found myself so engrossed in the Disney special a year or so ago ..endless footage of them arsing around in the studio...(under some deadline? I cant really remember now)...like so much and so little happening all at once.......hearing paul toying with what would be the beginnings of let it be and seeing it all coalesce into one of the best songs ever written..the nuances and the tensions in their relationships ..."see ya round the clubs" when Harrison stormed off one day...how bloody gorgeous they all were even by 21st century standards and how luminously beautiful Linda was just quietly snapping her pictures...yoko doing her thing too😄thks for starting this thread...I adore them..

• Heart
Reactions: 11
As a kid, I liked the Paul Songs and disliked the Lennon stuff. I didn’t know the name of the band or that they were in the same band, just had my little-kid opinions of what was playing on the radio.

Reactions: 5
I've grown up listening their music but never been interested in watching any documentaries about them due to not wanting to see anymore of Paul McCartney, he was always everywhere and such a dull person 😁

• Haha
A thread to discuss the Beatles music, and for gossip, or just to finally admit that you don’t like Imagine!
I started liking The Beatles after I bought TB rock band in HmV on offer! Then I was hooked!
Something.
Don’t let me down.
Helter skelter.
A day in the life.
Good morning good morning.
Strawberry fields
I am the walrus
Come together

just a few of my favourites

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I like Imagine, and John Lennon being assassinated is the first big news story that I can remember where I was and what I was doing. Interested to read more about them.

Reactions: 5
For the mega Beatles fans, I’d love to know what you thought of the film “Yesterday”.

Reactions: 1
For the mega Beatles fans, I’d love to know what you thought of the film “Yesterday”.
I've refused to see it because it 'nicked' an idea for a novel I had been working on years before. Not exactly the same concept but enough of a similarity for me to make a pointless stand about it!

* obvs I'm not being serious. It was an overly-used trope.

• Wow
  • Heart