The Archie Battersbee case

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is so wrong on so many levels why the hell would you be posing with a dying child with a big smile plastered on your face, at this point it clearly looks like the "mother" is fame hungry and using her dying son to get as much money for herself as she can. The laws need to be changed so this circus can't happen to anyone else. Let the poor child go with dignity. This is disgusting.

Reactions: 31
She's been on LBC stating her son has been 'severely neglected'. The accusations are horrendous. I've been in the position whereby we sustained the life of a bridge jumper until he could be identified. I hated it and seriously struggled with it. I get they wanted his parents to be by his side but my brain couldn't get past what we were doing to his body.

I can't help thinking the Catholic thing is a ruse, besides I'm unaware of any direct teachings around this sort of thing, though I'm fairly sure the doctrine around death is being in the arms of the creator...and culturally the UK surely upholds dignity in dying. At what point do we start thinking in terms of his body is being violated.

Reading between the lines he's undergone aggressive treatment consistently, his treatment is complicated and will be a real challenge.

The MRI scans amongst other tests are conclusive so no matter the outcome of the court cases the physical outcome will be the same. Archie is dead, he can't die twice.

Reactions: 29
To be fair I do think she’s utterly distraught and I think that photo was taken a few weeks ago. Or I could be wrong. She looks less exhausted in that photo than she does in more recent ones.

She can get to duck with criticising the hospital staff though. Their care has been noted to be “exemplary “by a judge. As an ex-nurse I know staff can get it wrong sometimes but this hasn’t happened here, they’ve given this child every chance to survive and pulled out all the stops for him.

It’s become a circus.

Hollie does have a history of going to the media though, I love not far from her and she’s been done for aggressive behaviour etc in the past. Her current behaviour does not surprise me.

• Sad
Reactions: 25
Just out of curiosity, what are the rules around confidentiality? In adult ICU, we don’t let families take pictures of our patients when they are sedated / on ventilators as they can’t legally consent. They have to be 100% awake and able to agree to having their picture taken. If we see someone with their phone out / on FaceTime etc we ask them to put it away. I’ve worked a few times in Peadiatric ICU but not come across families taking pictures of patients as usually they are worried / just spending time with them. Are they allowed to do that? I don’t know why you’d want the memories of your child / anyone looking like that.

Reactions: 27
I’m a nurse who has worked in neurosurgery at The Royal London Hospital. It is a renowned centre of excellence and he is receiving world class care from a whole battery of highly skilled and caring people. Hollie Dance and her pig ignorant hangers-on make me sick.

• Heart
Reactions: 69
I haven’t read through all the posts but as soon as I seen this is the news, it reminded me of the Jahi McMath case. She was a 13 year old girl from America who was declared brain dead after she had a cardiac arrest as a result of haemorrhaging after an operation. Her mother refused to believe she was technically dead and fought through the courts resulting in her being on a ventilator for 5 years. A blog I read at the time covered it and it’s really interesting to read from the viewpoint of a medical professional.
This is the blog if anyone is interested. This post links the previous posts:

Reactions: 18
For me the turning point was when she complained in the last court documents that the time spent in court was taking time away from Archie. But the constant interviews don’t?
But then when you run to the daily mail when you give your son the wrong medication, that says a lot about you. The next court date is this Wednesday and they want a circus. It makes me sad.

• Angry
Reactions: 21
I've seen she's stated the 2 go fund me accounts havent been touched but they will be used to give Archie the best send off ever and then anything left will be used to help them rebuild their lives. It's absolutely disgusting and wrong.
Someone's got to pay for the vigil candles and the inevitable balloon release.

Hopefully the buck will stop with the Court of Appeal, but I imagine the Christian vulture group will want to take it to the Supreme. I can't see the outcome being any different than that of the High Court. The medical evidence is overwhelming. The staff are essentially mechanically keeping alive a dead boy whose rate of decomposition is such that part of his brain is now at the bottom of his spine. There isn't going to be a recovery of any sort. I really hope the courts give the order take him off the machines, enabling Archie to go quickly and with dignity.

• Sad
Reactions: 25
It will turn into a tit show like poor Azaylia Cain’s death and subsequent circus.

Reactions: 39
I became aware of this case after the This Morning interview, my very initial thought watching that was, why would any mother be on national television whilst her son was lying dead/dying in hospital. She had absolutely no need to physically be there, they had Ella representing them, she could've written a short statement for her to read and just explained she wanted to spend her time with her son.
She actually sat in hair and makeup whilst her child was lying in hospital apparently being 'treated badly' by hospital staff. It doesn't add up. She clearly has a past and obviously wants fame of some sort.

I've seen she's stated the 2 go fund me accounts havent been touched but they will be used to give Archie the best send off ever and then anything left will be used to help them rebuild their lives. It's absolutely disgusting and wrong.
Even more so as the bulk of the charges for children's funerals are government funded

Reactions: 8
I became aware of this case after the This Morning interview, my very initial thought watching that was, why would any mother be on national television whilst her son was lying dead/dying in hospital. She had absolutely no need to physically be there, they had Ella representing them, she could've written a short statement for her to read and just explained she wanted to spend her time with her son.
She actually sat in hair and makeup whilst her child was lying in hospital apparently being 'treated badly' by hospital staff. It doesn't add up. She clearly has a past and obviously wants fame of some sort.

I thought they were for his legal bills and medical care if he’s to be moved

Attachments

Reactions: 4
I don’t think there are any legal costs and of course NHS care is free and he is ward of court so can’t be moved. Tbh even if he was to be moved and they had to pay for his medical care that amount wouldn’t go very far and people won’t continue to donate.

Reactions: 13
I don’t think there are any legal costs and of course NHS care is free and he is ward of court so can’t be moved. Tbh even if he was to be moved and they had to pay for his medical care that amount wouldn’t go very far and people won’t continue to donate.
That's what they are saying it's for ,his mum did a live on FB a couple of weeks ago and mentioned about the GFM for his legal costs and care it's mentioned on the GFM page .

Reactions: 2
That's what they are saying it's for ,his mum did a live on FB a couple of weeks ago and mentioned about the GFM for his legal costs and care it's mentioned on the GFM page .
Hmm interesting, I’m sure it was mentioned somewhere that the people representing them were working pro bono but maybe that was only for a set amount of time? I’m not in the army group so I haven’t seen any of their more recent updates. Tbh the funding thing doesn’t bother me too much, I know others feel differently about it and it does seem a bit fuzzy around what it is actually for but people make the choice to donate.
I do think people on that page are naive if they think £26k would go anywhere near the amount needed to cover medical costs for Archie. It wouldn’t touch the sides.

Hmm interesting, I’m sure it was mentioned somewhere that the people representing them were working pro bono but maybe that was only for a set amount of time? I’m not in the army group so I haven’t seen any of their more recent updates. Tbh the funding thing doesn’t bother me too much, I know others feel differently about it and it does seem a bit fuzzy around what it is actually for but people make the choice to donate.
I do think people on that page are naive if they think £26k would go anywhere near the amount needed to cover medical costs for Archie. It wouldn’t touch the sides.
According to some on the group, it was only pro bono for the first two weeks.

The multiple go fund me make me very uncomfortable.

Reactions: 3
GFM is so open to abuse and the crazy thing is it’s completely above board .

GFM is so open to abuse and the crazy thing is it’s completely above board .
Yeah it is. I did some fundraising recently via just giving and because it was for a known charity the money went directly to them so I couldn’t touch it(not that I wouldn’t have done of course!) I presume you can do similar on go fund me but when it’s fundraisers like this one people really can say the money for for one and do whatever they want with it.

Reactions: 4
I never screenshot but she commented to someone that the courts had stopped them using the go fund me money (I dont know what truth is in that but the comment was from her Hollie Dance profile), she said she'd paid 10k in legal fees and that if any money remained it would be used to give him the best send off and help them heal.
I've seen her comment the same thing in different wording a few times now. This is on the archies army's page.

I've just quickly gone to look to see if I could find the comments and came across this, slightly different wording and she doesn't mention the helping them heal but I have definitely seen her say exactly that in a comment reply.
Long screenshots but I wanted to make sure it had her name at the top and she mentions the money near the end....
Screenshot_20220626-182356_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220626-182404_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220626-182412_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220626-182421_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220626-182431_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.