The Archie Battersbee case

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Its not worse at all. She is also essentially accusing innocent NHS staff of murder by saying they want to him to die so they can harvest his organs. They're just as bad as each other.
No, one is a mum who is losing her child, who probably feels rightly or wrongly things were taking out of her control she feels ( again rightly or wrongly ) the hospital hasn't done its best for him. The others are just mean spirited using this family to spread hate and meanness because they are not acting in a manner they deem as the correct way to handle this.

Many on this thread are the same. A couple of us have posted our not so lovely experience and got told its anecdotal and although sad not relevant. meanwhile anyone who posted lovely anecdotal posts didn't get the same treatment.

My sister was treated shabbily by nurses and and consultants alike. Not just one or two treated badly enough that I moved into the hospital to be her carer and she made us do everything we could to get her home and right away did a DNR so if we were going for treatment at the clinics they would never admit her as a in patient again. She didn't do that because she was trying to be edgy or she was thick. She was terrified. My sister who survived so much in her life was terrified ,not that they were trying to kill her but they were purposely letting her suffer.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
The comments on the AA page are absolutely bat tit this morning and the religious conspiracy nutters are out in force, egging on a woman too caught up in her own grief, denial and lack of intelligence to grasp the reality of the situation and come to terms with it.

No good will come of this. She will never accept the ruling, will always state they killed her child.

• Sad
Reactions: 20
I can't believe what I've been seeing the last couple of days. They're looking for a paed intensive care doctor to research for them? They literally have no understanding of learning. It's so, so sad. It seems she has dived fully in to delusion, and if it's not delusion caused by grief, the only other option is she's purposefully spinning this out. Take your pick. It's pretty clear the clinical care he's receiving is excellent, Mum occasionally says it herself before she falls back in to damning them, and certainly the more clinically minded here understand how unstable he is due to the constant titration (mum mentions potassium and sodium like it's child's play, the rest of us read in to that). I don't know what's going to give but I'm hoping they make a swift and final decision soon. Treating a dead body like this isn't OK.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
He killed himself.. Not the hospital.
The hospital has cared for him since the day he got there and they have continued to for far longer than they should have.

Maybe if his family had taken his cry for help the day before seriously then this wouldn’t have happened. The signs were clearly there that all wasn’t ok with him but they will never accept any part of the ‘blame’.

Reactions: 37
The hospital has cared for him since the day he got there and they have continued to for far longer than they should have.

Maybe if his family had taken his cry for help the day before seriously then this wouldn’t have happened. The signs were clearly there that all wasn’t ok with him but they will never accept any part of the ‘blame’.
I think it’s a bit unfair to blame the family for him taking his own life. Yes, they could have acted differently but they absolutely aren’t the first family to miss the signs and sadly they won’t be the last. Even people who live with others who have attempted multiple times miss the signs. Whilst I don’t agree with how they’re approaching this now heaping a load of guilt on them about how we’ve ended up here is unnecessary.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I think it’s a bit unfair to blame the family for him taking his own life. Yes, they could have acted differently but they absolutely aren’t the first family to miss the signs and sadly they won’t be the last. Even people who live with others who have attempted multiple times miss the signs. Whilst I don’t agree with how they’re approaching this now heaping a load of guilt on them about how we’ve ended up here is unnecessary.
He was practicing the day before.
It’s my opinion and I stand by it. They are projecting onto the hospital whether they realise it or not because they will never accept what has happened to him.

Reactions: 20
I find the whole “she left him alone” thing so weird too. Archie is 12, being left alone for a few hours shouldn’t really be that much of an issue at that point

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I find the whole “she left him alone” thing so weird too. Archie is 12, being left alone for a few hours shouldn’t really be that much of an issue at that point
When did she leave him alone? I thought he'd brought her the pet rabbit with the plastic bag over his head (which she laughed off), and then she was in her bedroom, texting or something.

Clearly a troubled kid. If he'd attempted suicide before, I wouldn't be leaving him alone for any length of time. Most parents would have sought immediate medical/mental health assistance if their child was seen trying to take their own life. If my son had put plastic bags over his pets head, I wouldn't have laughed it off and gone to make a few calls in my bedroom. What a dysfunctional life he must have had. Poor Archie.

Reactions: 23
Personally I don't see why any anecdotes are relevant. If you've had bad experiences with hospitals I'm very sorry about that, I know it happens as patients suffering medical accidents and negligence are my clients. But that doesn't mean the team at this particular hospital in this particular case have done anything wrong at all. Nor if you've had a good experience does it have any bearing on this team in this case. I don't see what anecdotes add here - we know medical negligence happens, and we know good practice happens. If you have a personal axe to grind people are obviously going to recognise that in your posts.

I agree, they're looking for anyone to 'blame' other than him and themselves, which is understandable when grieving but wholly unfair on the medical team.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Clearly a troubled kid. If he'd attempted suicide before, I wouldn't be leaving him alone for any length of time.
The problem has been that people are acting as though leaving him alone for an hour or less even in the house, though I’m sure I’ve seen speculation that her being in the house was a lie is some sort of crime

It sounds like his sister saw him practicing something and didn’t say anything or think twice about what she had seen until. I’d think there were definitely other signs that he was a troubled kid but people miss signs constantly as someone already said

It also didn’t sound like she just laughed the whole rabbit thing off. We don’t actually seem to know how that whole thing played out. If she had disciplined him ‘properly’ (whatever that entails) I doubt we’d hear about it because it’s the classic ‘my last interaction with that person wasn’t good’ thing that people get stuck on. She mentioned a vape incident before and didn’t go into detail on how she dealt with it either other than being disappointed and seemingly talking to him about it

Reactions: 5
I think it’s at the point where Hollie needs help and for people to take the Facebook platform away from her. Whether she knows what she’s saying through being malicious or it’s grief talking it needs to be out of the public spotlight.

Reactions: 13
I think it’s at the point where Hollie needs help and for people to take the Facebook platform away from her. Whether she knows what she’s saying through being malicious or it’s grief talking it needs to be out of the public spotlight.
Good luck with that. We all know Hollie's type. Facebook is their validation, their oxygen. Prising them away from it is impossible.

Reactions: 18
Maybe with all the donations they could take him on a holiday to Barbados, Captain Tom style.

• Haha
From the group, posted by Hollie:

As far as I'm concerned everything single thing has been put in my path this last 13 weeks . Even today the DR had to feel the need to come and tell me a DNR is in place now

I can't imagine how horrible the atmosphere must be between the family and HCPs right now, I really for them people trying to manage them. I imagine the doctor was reiterating this because of how important it is & what it means in terms of managing his death :(

Reactions: 17
I'm sorry but the only people I feel for in this whole situation is archie and them nurses/doctors.
His mum is loving all the attention she is getting, I would hate to be one of the staff in that hospital they have looked after archie for months now and all she can do is criticise them and fabricate a load of absolute crap because she feels bad she wasn't there.

Reactions: 21
First point… Okay, sure

Second point… Weird as hell. If anyone said that about my dog let alone my child I’d be freaked out
Creepy as hell.. but then again these sort of groups like AA will attract all sorts of oddball, obsessive grief tourists

Reactions: 11
This is where sensible family members would usually step in and encourage you to step away from Facebook groups etc but it seems she doesn’t have these kind of people around her.
It’s the doctors job to tell her the DNR is in place, I imagine it was part of a relevant conversation, not just a random comment out of nowhere.

From the group, posted by Hollie:

As far as I'm concerned everything single thing has been put in my path this last 13 weeks . Even today the DR had to feel the need to come and tell me a DNR is in place now
I don’t think she’s told the army it’s been placed by the court on Monday so it feels like she’s twisting it to make it sound that the hospital has placed one instead

If that is the case, it’s interesting that she feels as though she can take on the specific hospital/NHS but not the court/judge

Reactions: 8
First point… Okay, sure

Second point… Weird as hell. If anyone said that about my dog let alone my child I’d be freaked out
These people are beyond strange, I'm sorry, you can all feel empathy for certain situations, but this is beyond creepy. These people need to get their own lives and stay off Facebook. Grief tourism on steroids.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.