The Archie Battersbee case #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Shouldn't a child being a ward of court prevent all of this from happening in the first place? I thought that over rode parental "rights"?

Reactions: 3
She got more tit in her than Homer Simpson’s silo

Shouldn't a child being a ward of court prevent all of this from happening in the first place? I thought that over rode parental "rights"?
Parents maintain parental rights. That’s why the hospitals have to take them to court when they decide against best interests. If Hollie had allowed them to do the brain stem test when they first wanted to there’s a high chance they would have been able to complete it and then declared legally dead. That’s when her rights stop and that’s why she refused it.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
Yes, this is what I thought. I was a ward of court when I was five and my mother, quite rightly, didn't get a look in.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
She got more tit in her than Homer Simpson’s silo

Parents maintain parental rights. That’s why the hospitals have to take them to court when they decide against best interests. If Hollie had allowed them to do the brain stem test when they first wanted to there’s a high chance they would have been able to complete it and then declared legally dead. That’s when her rights stop and that’s why she refused it.
I didn’t think that it was that as such … I thought that there are 3 legal teams? One for the Hospital, one for the people disagreeing with the Hospital and one for the child?
All the Court is bothered about is what is best for the child.

Reactions: 5
The court aren't acting responsibly by allowing this fiasco to continue. Endless appeals are fine in other cases, but this is hugely damaging to all involved, not to mention the poor staff and the financial cost to the NHS who can ill afford to waste money. How many nurses burn out and leave the profession because of morally bankrupt cases like this?

The court are just pissing about hoping that his body gives out so that they can avoid ordering stopping treatment.

• Angry
Reactions: 8
I didn’t think that it was that as such … I thought that there are 3 legal teams? One for the Hospital, one for the people disagreeing with the Hospital and one for the child?
All the Court is bothered about is what is best for the child.
You’re right in there being 3 legal representations. The court appointed guardian isn’t a guardian in the sense they have total PR. They’re the voice of the child. If the court had stripped the PR from Hollie there’d be no need to go to court. Because she’d have no say. It’s complicated.
Edited to add. The guardian gets equal rights to the parents in making decisions.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
Without going into specifics as it’ll be easy to narrow things down, I was semi involved in a young teenager donating their organs this week. Really sad incident, hypoxic brain injury, evidence of coning not long after arrival to PICU, nothing that could be done surgically. Parents allowed brain stem testing, spent time with them, decided for donation, got an extra day whilst donation was arranged, chance for handprints and hair locks etc, cuddles and visits, then after donation the patient was embalmed and transferred to a “cold room” so they could spend further time with them. All very dignified, all very grateful, no Facebook, no arguing, no bizarre monkey teddies, no court, just a broken family accepting what is a very unfortunate situation and grieving in the best way they could.

Just makes you realise what Hollie and Archie’s family could have gone through instead, this could have been such a “nicer” memory for them… Instead of all the hurt, drama, arguing, media, etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 58
i have to admit I have been wondering at what point this becomes a libel/defamation case
Same here. I keep thinking surely she and her 'army' can't be allowed to say such awful stuff without repercussions.
In addition, given that the level of stupidity in these armies seems to be off the charts, how much damage is being done to gullible people who believe stuff like the doctors are lying/ trying to kill him or whatever she has said? As well as what she has said about the judge.

It's very dangerous, imo.

Reactions: 10
It’s reprehensible that they are actively persuading people to take themselves and family members off the donation register off the back of conspiracy theories and total nonsense

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
The poor child at the centre of all this, I hope his spirit is at peace. I'm not sure there is an afterlife, but I hope so. This charade of keeping his poor frail body alive whilst his brain and soul and personality have left is heartbreaking to read about. I completely understand his mother's denial of what happened and what is happening, but her comments about the medical care her son is receiving are libellous and she runs the risk of getting herself into a whole heap of trouble if she carries on.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
No because she'll take it to the Supreme Court, and then the ECHR. Probably be another fortnight yet.
That's really unsettling. How much is that child's body going to deteriorate in that time? It's like watching some kind of horror film, except it's not, this is real life and is actually happening.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I think it’s astonishing that she honestly thinks she’s doing the right thing “would rather have 1% of Archie than none”
Clearly an energetic and athletic child, she would rather condemn him to a life of severe physical and mental disability on the off chance he did breathe on his own.
Sone things are worse than death.
Exactly. F
No because she'll take it to the Supreme Court, and then the ECHR. Probably be another fortnight yet.
would it still go to echr even after brexit?

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.