The Anna Edit

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wow, I hadn't fully taken that sentence in - she talking as though they are living costs which we're all subject to and can't control completely; just buy less clothes! Jeez.

Reactions: 9
For someone that spends that much on clothes, she sure seems to wear the same thing over and over again. All she wears is that white linen shirt.

edited to add: As a fellow virgo Anna, did you not proofread that blogpost before publishing?

• Haha
Reactions: 14
There doesn't seem to be much depth or breadth for so many of these 'influences'/ content creators/ whatever you call them - Anna could add more depth to her content so easily - really learn about fashion, materials, cuts etc. Try new, out of her comfort stuff. Really learn to cook properly - develop her palette and technique and talk about it. Do city guides, talk about how they plan their travel (though realise most of them don't - the brands do!) Learn new skills, talk about photography, the mechanics of what they do...They all seem to take the easy road, which must actually be more dull for them in the long run?

It's incredible how few 'bloggers' can be bothered to proofread their 'work.'
Yeah, Anna has freely admitted she hates proofreading. Would love to get away with that in my job - 'sorry, I don't really like it and couldn't arsed so didn't bother'. One or two odd mistakes, hey, we're all human, but every post has them. She must rattle them out in minutes.

Reactions: 10
Anna's got a new post up about her wardrobe and clothes spending - she's spending on average of £324 a month on clothes, which is nearly £4000 by the end of the year if that continues!
I think she wrote that figure thinking it’s a bit much, like the rest of us would do if we saw our monthly spending of £30 😆 I really think she’s just completely out of touch and genuinely believes casually saying it’s a lot makes her relatable.

Reactions: 6
This is what she's written on her blog: "with my current calculations I’m on to spend £324.33 per month on clothing during 2020. Now that is A LOT and a figure that I would like to not drastically increase, so I’m trying to find ways and methods to reduce my sending for the second part of this year in order to do that."

It blows my mind that she says she doesn't want the figure to increase, as though it's not an insane amount to spend on clothes every month (especially considering she gets free stuff on top of that). Here's an idea Anna, just buy less stuff. Easy.
Sadly it's not as easy for someone who has a shopping addiction, i'm definitely someone who buys too many clothes and actively trying to stop, it's hard (any tips welcome btw!) as i'm so careful with money but always budget for new bits and cut down on other things... when you follow influencers and they style something in a particular way and you feel you have to have it. Saying that though, i've never bought a single thing that Anna has mentioned, her style is way too basic for me. Also she spends so much money on such drab items, like £200 on a pair of standard jeans you can get anywhere on the highstreet! What i am trying to do is look to why i keep buying and connect the dots, so am looking more into fabrics, materials, cuts and vintage. Being a bigger size it's hard to buy good vintage especially online when you can't return, so it's easier to revert to the high street. Basically what i'm saying is that influencers make people crazy about clothes haha

Reactions: 5
It wasn’t clear to me if the £324 includes the price of items she’s gotten for free? She said “I’ve tallied everything because it feels like cheating to not include gifted pieces”. What does that mean? Is she telling us how much she actually spent or the market value of all the clothing she’s acquired? In any case, fully agree that all the spending doesn’t really show, as in, she always looks the same.
I don’t follow her too regularly so I’m also confused: I’ve seen many posts about how she does a capsule wardrobe, so how does all this shopping fit in with that? Doesn’t seem to make any sense, does it?

Reactions: 8
It wasn’t clear to me if the £324 includes the price of items she’s gotten for free? She said “I’ve tallied everything because it feels like cheating to not include gifted pieces”. What does that mean? Is she telling us how much she actually spent or the market value of all the clothing she’s acquired? In any case, fully agree that all the spending doesn’t really show, as in, she always looks the same.
I don’t follow her too regularly so I’m also confused: I’ve seen many posts about how she does a capsule wardrobe, so how does all this shopping fit in with that? Doesn’t seem to make any sense, does it?
She doesn't have a real capsule wardrobe. Every season she posts a seasonal capsule wardrobe, but it's always full of on trend pieces and things rarely last more than one season. It's not that she has say ten staple pieces that she adds the odd trendy piece to, it's that she builds an entire seasonal wardrobe with tonnes of new pieces every few months. I think she's misunderstood the very idea of a capsule wardrobe.

Reactions: 9
Yeah, Anna has freely admitted she hates proofreading. Would love to get away with that in my job - 'sorry, I don't really like it and couldn't arsed so didn't bother'. One or two odd mistakes, hey, we're all human, but every post has them. She must rattle them out in minutes.
Probably in such a rush just so she can tick it off her to do list

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Is the next thread title still going to be ‘The Nanna Edit’? 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Ok, so I read the blog post and have a few thoughts.

- I really wanted to see the list of pieces for transparency sake. There’s a plus influencer named Marielle Elizabeth who last year started publicly listing (on Patreon) all of her acquired pieces, whether she bought it (with or without a discount), it was gifted by a brand or part of a brand partnership.
- She makes NO mention of “press discounts”. She may have paid for something with her own money, but did that include some sort of gift card for working with the brand or a random “pr discount”? How many pieces did she actually buy full price (wouldn't include pieces bought with a publicly available code i.e., 15% off for signing up for a newsletter)?
- She definitely does not have a capsule wardrobe. The explanation from the PP about the capsules EACH season is so so so accurate!
- Her partnerships with Arket and & Other Stories negates all of her sustainability talk

Just a few tips to stop buying:
- delete all of your credit card info from your browsers and phone, remove cookies, etc.
- remove your email from brand newsletters
- fill up your cart, but don’t press buy. If you come back to it a few days later and still want the pieces, fine. But give yourself a few days to mull
- stop following bloggers/influencers. Or, hate watch like me then come here and gossip!
- watch the True Cost on Netflix and learn more about the waste, human rights violations and environmental effects of the fashion industry. I work in sustainability for a fashion brand and it wasn’t until I was completely bombarded with this info that my shopping habits changed
- as a plus person myself, shopping vintage/second hand is bleeping hard. Know your measurements. And always ask any questions you have before you buy. If you’re straight sized and considering a larger sized piece you could alter, question whether you’re potentially taking that piece away from an already marginalized group
- regularly do a wardrobe scan to find your gaps and add them to a wishlist. Slow fashion/responsibly made pieces tend to be more seasonless than high street, so there’s not as much pressure to buy now

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Ok, so I read the blog post and have a few thoughts.

- I really wanted to see the list of pieces for transparency sake. There’s a plus influencer named Marielle Elizabeth who last year started publicly listing (on Patreon) all of her acquired pieces, whether she bought it (with or without a discount), it was gifted by a brand or part of a brand partnership.
- She makes NO mention of “press discounts”. She may have paid for something with her own money, but did that include some sort of gift card for working with the brand or a random “pr discount”? How many pieces did she actually buy full price (wouldn't include pieces bought with a publicly available code i.e., 15% off for signing up for a newsletter)?
- She definitely does not have a capsule wardrobe. The explanation from the PP about the capsules EACH season is so so so accurate!
- Her partnerships with Arket and & Other Stories negates all of her sustainability talk

Just a few tips to stop buying:
- delete all of your credit card info from your browsers and phone, remove cookies, etc.
- remove your email from brand newsletters
- fill up your cart, but don’t press buy. If you come back to it a few days later and still want the pieces, fine. But give yourself a few days to mull
- stop following bloggers/influencers. Or, hate watch like me then come here and gossip!
- watch the True Cost on Netflix and learn more about the waste, human rights violations and environmental effects of the fashion industry. I work in sustainability for a fashion brand and it wasn’t until I was completely bombarded with this info that my shopping habits changed
- as a plus person myself, shopping vintage/second hand is bleeping hard. Know your measurements. And always ask any questions you have before you buy. If you’re straight sized and considering a larger sized piece you could alter, question whether you’re potentially taking that piece away from an already marginalized group
- regularly do a wardrobe scan to find your gaps and add them to a wishlist. Slow fashion/responsibly made pieces tend to be more seasonless than high street, so there’s not as much pressure to buy now
This is amazing advice, thank you so much! I've been slowly unsubscribing from brands on my email, but gave up - will try again!

Reactions: 3
Also would recommend setting up a separate card/account for your spending (I use my travel card when I really want to stop my erratic spending) look at your spending insights my bank has just introduced this and you’ll see where you spend the most, only get cash out (obviously not possible for the here and now but a good trick I learnt awhile ago) any loose change shove it into a piggy bank/pot and then when it’s full put it back into your bank!
also start a list; 1 for things you want to buy (then for Christmas/birthdays/other occasions a you can come back to it and see if you really want it)
2 write down your spending, sometimes the contactless makes it harder to feel like you’re spending money
Then work out where you can cut spending/how you can make it work for you (sign up to airtime rewards and other cash back websites so if you do feel the need to spend you get something back for it) make sure you keep your receipts if you don’t have your rewards card with you (Tesco club card if you’re UK based) they’ll load your points on to your card the next time, see if there are any other discount websites you can sign up too, there’s one for teachers and one for NHS workers or if anyone you know has an academic email use their UNiDAYS discount where possible :)

As for the wedding, at the time it was also obvious to me that they just threw some kind of house party, not a proper, traditional wedding. I actually like that approach. Especially in comparison to Lily who kept saying she wasn’t doing a traditional wedding, when she really was doing a fairly normal wedding. A lot of people say they want to have a small wedding, but as they go, it gets bigger and bigger. I kind of like that Anna really kept it simple. Even though I do think mark might have played a big role in that, he does not seem like the type to want to spend a lot of money on a wedding.
I also think they delayed the wedding because her sister got a divorce. A few years ago Anna mentioned just in passing that she was a bridesmaid at her sister’s wedding. Her sister had an IG called MrsCanDo as she lost a lot of weight and got really into the gym. She and Anna had the same trainer and everything. That handle doesn’t exist anymore and her sister broke her leg a few years ago and Anna was the one minding her over at her apartment (kind of got the vibe it was cos her sister was on her own). Her sister is now travelling the world on her own for the last year or so.

I think Anna and Mark were being sensitive and tactful and pushed the wedding back over a year from their original estimations, and perhaps part of having a small wedding was to be sensitive. Mark appears to have lost one of his parents too based on the inheritance he has that they used to get on the property ladder, so maybe a small and informal wedding was also a part of that (like kate la vie and her husband who eloped as his mother had died and hers had advanced ALS at the time).

Reactions: 18
I also think they delayed the wedding because her sister got a divorce. A few years ago Anna mentioned just in passing that she was a bridesmaid at her sister’s wedding. Her sister had an IG called MrsCanDo as she lost a lot of weight and got really into the gym. She and Anna had the same trainer and everything. That handle doesn’t exist anymore and her sister broke her leg a few years ago and Anna was the one minding her over at her apartment (kind of got the vibe it was cos her sister was on her own). Her sister is now travelling the world on her own for the last year or so.

I think Anna and Mark were being sensitive and tactful and pushed the wedding back over a year from their original estimations, and perhaps part of having a small wedding was to be sensitive. Mark appears to have lost one of his parents too based on the inheritance he has that they used to get on the property ladder, so maybe a small and informal wedding was also a part of that (like kate la vie and her husband who eloped as his mother had died and hers had advanced ALS at the time).
Oh wow, you know a lot! I had no idea about all these things, but I do think she would do that. Some other brides may have made it more about them.

But regardless of all of that, she doesn’t strike me as the type of person to have a very expensive wedding.

Reactions: 7
1E05200D-BB01-42B7-B72D-829B5EB6445D.png
erm, has she actually SEEN what he’s wearing?? 😱 but the answer is no, I haven’t. And I’m absolutely horrified that she does! But not surprised, she tends to dress in shapeless big boxy clothes that weigh her down.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.