The advice thread for random problems #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have recently gained a bit of weight. For about 2.5 years, I worked for a team that worked me to the bone. Long hours and stress led to me barely eating. It took a turn for the worse when my dad died a year ago. I’m 5’1 and went from weighing about 43kg to under 40kg. I wasn’t starving myself intentionally but I was so stressed, I couldn’t eat. I was very thin and I was floating in my clothing.

Fast forward, I left my previous team and tried to stabilize my work/life balance which has led to me eating my three meals properly etc. The issue is now I’m constantly hungry and it seems my body is not satisfied with the food it gets.

This therefore has led to a bit of weight gain which I’m not too fond of. I preferred my body at my lowest weight which I know was not healthy.

I’m not sure how to stop being hungry all the time.

Has anyone experienced this?
Yes, it is normal for you to be hungry after a period of restricting food (I know it wasn't on purpose for you). Your metabolism is ramping up. Our bodies evolved to want to put on weight. So after a period of less food your body is primed to put on weight which is why you've put some on (think bodybuilders after a show where they get extremely lean. After the show when they reverse diet, they put some fat back on). When you eat around your maintenance calories for a while your hunger should reduce but it might take time. Just try to be mindful and not overeat massively but don't try to restrict and lose weight until your hunger goes away. Your weight should stabilise and you'll be your normal weight/even lose a little bit

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I have recently gained a bit of weight. For about 2.5 years, I worked for a team that worked me to the bone. Long hours and stress led to me barely eating. It took a turn for the worse when my dad died a year ago. I’m 5’1 and went from weighing about 43kg to under 40kg. I wasn’t starving myself intentionally but I was so stressed, I couldn’t eat. I was very thin and I was floating in my clothing.

Fast forward, I left my previous team and tried to stabilize my work/life balance which has led to me eating my three meals properly etc. The issue is now I’m constantly hungry and it seems my body is not satisfied with the food it gets.

This therefore has led to a bit of weight gain which I’m not too fond of. I preferred my body at my lowest weight which I know was not healthy.

I’m not sure how to stop being hungry all the time.

Has anyone experienced this?
I had this when I was in anorexia recovery. It's like I'd restricted for so long my body was absolutely ravenous. I suppose in caveman days (a very specific measurement of time there lol), we'd go ages without food and then probably come into it in reasonable abundance so our bodies adapt quickly maybe? What is it usually that makes you feel full? E.g. for me it's fat, I find that the most satiating. I could eat all the protein and carbs but no fats I'll be hungry a lot faster.

Reactions: 3
are your meals relatively balanced? I’d get a blood test at docs and make sure you’re not deficient in anything
Thanks. Yeah I think they are. Or at least, Im not eating any differently than I did before these past two and something years.

I did blood tests last month and all that came up is high cholesterol. I thought about anemia but it seems not the case.
---
I had this when I was in anorexia recovery. It's like I'd restricted for so long my body was absolutely ravenous. I suppose in caveman days (a very specific measurement of time there lol), we'd go ages without food and then probably come into it in reasonable abundance so our bodies adapt quickly maybe? What is it usually that makes you feel full? E.g. for me it's fat, I find that the most satiating. I could eat all the protein and carbs but no fats I'll be hungry a lot faster.
I’m sorry you had to go through this. Hope you’re doing better now. Thank you for your advice and insight. I actually feel full when I eat pasta, bread or fish. I don’t eat any kind of dairy or meat, so I’m working around that. I’m hoping it will stabilize soon enough.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 1
Hi does anyone have any advice please?

My son is currently about to start his gcse's and has chosen music to do in college after he finishes them, my issue is I feel this is a waste of time as he's not guaranteed a job out of it imo I feel really mean in saying so and don't want to hurt his feelings as this is what he wants, he's also not that into music and I feel he's just chosen it as an easy route

Do I just leave him to it hoping he changes his mind or say something? I thought parenting got easier when they got older but seems this is wayyyy more stressful haha
I work in education and my two cents is: it’s better he gets top grades in a creative subject he loves than a bottom grade in an academic subject he hated. Good grades in anything look good. Bad grades are bad, even if they’re in “traditional” subjects. Unless they’re set on a doctor and studying graphic design, let them live a little. You’re doing fab, don’t let old ideals direct you ❤

Reactions: 4
Thanks. Yeah I think they are. Or at least, Im not eating any differently than I did before these past two and something years.

I did blood tests last month and all that came up is high cholesterol. I thought about anemia but it seems not the case.
---

I’m sorry you had to go through this. Hope you’re doing better now. Thank you for your advice and insight. I actually feel full when I eat pasta, bread or fish. I don’t eat any kind of dairy or meat, so I’m working around that. I’m hoping it will stabilize soon enough.
Thank you that is kind. I'm doing a lot better with that but I have bad days and I still have my struggles. I hope one day I will have a good relationship with food but it's hard to reverse. If it's pasta, bread and fish it might be salt that is making you feel full. Worth seeing if you add a it more salt to your meals if it helps. I hope it stablises soon for you too. It's an absolute nightmare!

• Heart
Has anyone got any experience with energy suppliers claiming you owe them a mountain of money you do not?

Has anyone got any experience with energy suppliers claiming you owe them a mountain of money you do not?
Yes, years ago and it turns out the block of flats we were living in had mixed up whose electric meters were whose and we’d been giving the wrong readings. Could that apply?

Yes, years ago and it turns out the block of flats we were living in had mixed up whose electric meters were whose and we’d been giving the wrong readings. Could that apply?
not a block of flats it was a 2 bed house. Moved out of their 2 years ago now got a bill saying I used 13 thousand kWh in 6 months on electric alone.. just absurd i worked 12 hour shifts 6 days a week I was never even home😐it’s a debt letter of £1800 with 30 days to pay.. x

• Wow
Reactions: 2
not a block of flats it was a 2 bed house. Moved out of their 2 years ago now got a bill saying I used 13 thousand kWh in 6 months on electric alone.. just absurd i worked 12 hour shifts 6 days a week I was never even home😐it’s a debt letter of £1800 with 30 days to pay.. x
Oh god! Have you checked the time period? Could it have been from after you move out but before the new owners moved in/sorted their energy supplier?

Oh god! Have you checked the time period? Could it have been from after you move out but before the new owners moved in/sorted their energy supplier?
it was originally an extra 3 months so i corrected the date which questionably never changed the price and has stayed the same without the 3 months. I don’t know if the meter faulty or something but the average 2 bed is 2500 kWh a year and they are saying I used 13,000 kwh in 6 months.. there was only me who lived there and I was barley home! They are saying nothing can do as it is an ‘actual reading’ except take them to court

Could something have been running you didn't know about? Our boiler is both gas an electric run, there's a switch to turn on the electric for it an my god does it run up fast, we didn't realise when the guy done a boiler check he left the switch on till we looked at our box an seen the numbers turn like crazy

Could something have been running you didn't know about? Our boiler is both gas an electric run, there's a switch to turn on the electric for it an my god does it run up fast, we didn't realise when the guy done a boiler check he left the switch on till we looked at our box an seen the numbers turn like crazy
Potentially something like that. It was 2020 so can’t even remember. I feel like I remember I was arguing with british gas that something was wrong at the time but can’t actually remember what about.

it was a brand new boiler when we moved in, and we had a shower but it was like a mixer tap so I think that is gas? I must have gave a meter read when I moved out but what good is that if the meters faulty?

Potentially something like that. It was 2020 so can’t even remember. I feel like I remember I was arguing with british gas that something was wrong at the time but can’t actually remember what about.

it was a brand new boiler when we moved in, and we had a shower but it was like a mixer tap so I think that is gas? I must have gave a meter read when I moved out but what good is that if the meters faulty?
Check the move in read- or, did you switch suppliers?

Check the move in read- or, did you switch suppliers?
I switched when I moved in and submitted a meter read. When I moved out i’m sure I gave a meter read. Fast forward from 2020 to 23 they are now saying based on an actual read from 3/5/20 that I used this ridiculous amount. I moved out 12/04/20 so i couldn’t have sent that read. Unfortunately I don’t seem to have any access to what that read was that I submitted as it was an online portal.

Sounds like it could apply in this case? Maybe i should see if i can get in touch with the energy ombudsman

I switched when I moved in and submitted a meter read. When I moved out i’m sure I gave a meter read. Fast forward from 2020 to 23 they are now saying based on an actual read from 3/5/20 that I used this ridiculous amount. I moved out 12/04/20 so i couldn’t have sent that read. Unfortunately I don’t seem to have any access to what that read was that I submitted as it was an online portal.

Sounds like it could apply in this case? Maybe i should see if i can get in touch with the energy ombudsman
When you switch, sometimes the two companies agree a start read that’s not the same as the read you gave. Raise a complaint with them first, they have x amount of days to put it right and then it will go to Ombudsman anyway

Deffo get in touch. I read your post, clicked away and suddenly thought “hang on”, I know there is legislation to stop this. It should NOT be happening but they will always chance someone not knowing.

Follow up, please.

No matter what an agent “says” to you on a call, they have little to no power.

Remember, never take legal advice from an opponent.

It's probably too late now but always take a note of the date an time you phone anyone, these calls are all recorded, an honestly knowing when I've phoned a company has saved me from them telling me stuff that I apparently told them or agreed to, because once I ask for them to get the call looked so we can check it's suddenly "disappeared" an then they have to agree that I didn't agree to things or tell them certain things because they don't have proof (or more like they have listened an released they are wrong)

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Deffo get in touch. I read your post, clicked away and suddenly thought “hang on”, I know there is legislation to stop this. It should NOT be happening but they will always chance someone not knowing.

Follow up, please.

No matter what an agent “says” to you on a call, they have little to no power.

Remember, never take legal advice from an opponent.
much appreciated!! Just one thing after another, im in at the breast clinic tomorrow for a suspected cyst so will get in touch on Monday. It’s just daft I looked back on the bank and I was paying my DD of £75 a month (back in 2020 so much cheaper) so they want another 1.8k on top of that for 6 months of usage 😐I now have a toddler so I am at home every day and then my husband too and I am spending no where near that even with the tit show prices

It’s the same thing when a credit card company (usually) come after someone after 20 years. They are disbarred from pursuing after 6 but many people don’t know. You engage after threatening letters and you are back on the hook.

So sorry for the medical worries but that (and a baby) is a howitzer weapon against their puny potato gun.

The truth of a 2 year old debt that never was, the added stress of your problems and them disregarding (even if you only mentioned in passing) and they will fold. You may get an apology or a bunch of flowers 🙄

Do NOT let this get you down. They don’t have (on what you have said) a leg to stand on.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.