The advice thread for random problems #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone used another postal service other than the royal mail for posting UK to US, an was it better service/cheaper?

I feel like royal mail are getting incredibly expensive now an I can't get the Xmas presents I want to give to friends just because it's costing so much, for some candy I was £30 to send, an my pens got stolen somewhere alone the line as well

• Sad
Reactions: 1
My period is now only lasting one day. One really heavy, going through at least a pad an hour, can't leave the house for fear of leaking day. Excessive unexplained weightgain and dark hair sprouting everywhere. Doctors aren't interested. Anyone experienced anything similar?

They used to last 5 days and I'd say for the last 6 or so months it's down to one day.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I’m literally experiencing this right down to no one being interested. I collapsed one month and a&e just said it’s probably my age, so I can’t advise but hope you get some helpful advice; as I’m going to steal it! Ha!!

• Heart
My period is now only lasting one day. One really heavy, going through at least a pad an hour, can't leave the house for fear of leaking day. Excessive unexplained weightgain and dark hair sprouting everywhere. Doctors aren't interested. Anyone experienced anything similar?

They used to last 5 days and I'd say for the last 6 or so months it's down to one day.
That sounds like polycystic ovary syndrome aka PCOS. Irregular periods, heavy and the hair. I have it to and mine are permanent atm but I did go through very brief ones in the past and have excess hair growth

• Heart

Oh wow!! Can you see a gynae person even private xxx

I was told I have PCOS, it was actually undiagnosed coeliac disease! So may be worth going the opposite way and claiming you think you have coeliacs then they might diagnose PCOS!

Runners - where do you put your phone when you run? Bum bags don’t work for me, I find they get in the way and I can’t find a decent top or jacket! Help please! :)

Runners - where do you put your phone when you run? Bum bags don’t work for me, I find they get in the way and I can’t find a decent top or jacket! Help please! :)
i haven’t run since lockdown but I got one of those arm band pouches. I think it was about 2 quid in home bargains. It’s got a separate pouch for my key

That sounds like polycystic ovary syndrome aka PCOS. Irregular periods, heavy and the hair. I have it to and mine are permanent atm but I did go through very brief ones in the past and have excess hair growth
I was told I have PCOS, it was actually undiagnosed coeliac disease! So may be worth going the opposite way and claiming you think you have coeliacs then they might diagnose PCOS!
Thank you for answering 🥰. I'm going to try and get back to the doctors and give them a push!

Either bum bag, but with the bag bit in the small of my back or **massive game changer** shorts with a thigh pocket. Now we're coming out of shorts weather, I'm really missing that option. I always turned my nose up at thigh pockets, but it's great!

Anyone used another postal service other than the royal mail for posting UK to US, an was it better service/cheaper?

I feel like royal mail are getting incredibly expensive now an I can't get the Xmas presents I want to give to friends just because it's costing so much, for some candy I was £30 to send, an my pens got stolen somewhere alone the line as well
I find under 2kg is cheaper with Royal Mail, but over that it's better to use a courier. I use Transglobal Express or Parcel Monkey to find the cheapest prices. Sometimes still cheaper to split into smaller, lighter parcels though.

I find under 2kg is cheaper with Royal Mail, but over that it's better to use a courier. I use Transglobal Express or Parcel Monkey to find the cheapest prices. Sometimes still cheaper to split into smaller, lighter parcels though.
Thanks I'll check them out, I usually am under that but it's still ridiculous over priced, was in shock when I was £30 to send some malteasers an a bar of cadbury chocolate 😅

I put frozen avocado chunks on my pasta for work but ended up off work ill so I froze the portions of pasta with the avocado on it. It says on the packet “once thawed do not re-freeze” but it’s just avocado and will be cooked with the pasta in the microwave. Will it be okay?

I put frozen avocado chunks on my pasta for work but ended up off work ill so I froze the portions of pasta with the avocado on it. It says on the packet “once thawed do not re-freeze” but it’s just avocado and will be cooked with the pasta in the microwave. Will it be okay?
Yeah, it should be fine. I didn't know you could get frozen avocado! I'm going to give it a try as have found avocados a bit hit and miss recently. They seem to go off quicker that they used to.

• Heart
Yeah, it should be fine. I didn't know you could get frozen avocado! I'm going to give it a try as have found avocados a bit hit and miss recently. They seem to go off quicker that they used to.
thank you! They are £3 in Tesco which seems a bit expensive but I find it more economical cause won’t eat a whole one at a time and the freezer pack lasts me at least a month. The chunks are great cause I just pull them out the freezer and crack on. Once they’re defrosted you can smash them on toast as normal (i defrost in the microwave personally but I prefer my avocado warm which is probably gross lol)

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’ve been in my new job for just over 3 months now and to be honest I’ve struggled with the adjustment since week 2. I was at my last job for 5 years and this was sold to me as a bit more of a step up but generally doing really similar things. I have a niche skillet that brings in a lot of money and I thought the role would be challenging and doing really similar things. It’s a lovely place to work and I’m paid well but it’s the actual work I’m just really unhappy with and I don’t really know how to approach it.

-I spend a lot of my days in excel and PowerPoint doing really menial stuff. I’m not work-shy but I do feel like I’m completely wasted doing these kinds of things

-I find doing repetitive tasks really difficult- it’s the reason I loved my old job. I never had to do things the old and slow way - I had freedom to enhance things. Some of the excel tools I’d rather unalive than have to use because they’re so long winded and inefficient.

-Some of the work really goes against my ethics. There’s some analysis techniques you shouldn’t use with certain data. You might as well have an educated guess as it would be just as good as some of the things I’m being asked to do. I’ve tried to broach this but met with a fair bit of pushback. “It’s the way we’ve always done it” but then they do come back and say they’re willing to change.

I basically sit there moving tit around in PowerPoint and can’t help but think about my old day rate and how daft it is that I’m basically doing that for work I don’t want my name against because I feel 0 sense of achievement for selling snake oil. I feel like I’ve been mis sold a role a bit and the nature of the work is making me a bit snappy and disgruntled. It feels a bit early in the role to feel this unhappy.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
I’ve been in my new job for just over 3 months now and to be honest I’ve struggled with the adjustment since week 2. I was at my last job for 5 years and this was sold to me as a bit more of a step up but generally doing really similar things. I have a niche skillet that brings in a lot of money and I thought the role would be challenging and doing really similar things. It’s a lovely place to work and I’m paid well but it’s the actual work I’m just really unhappy with and I don’t really know how to approach it.

-I spend a lot of my days in excel and PowerPoint doing really menial stuff. I’m not work-shy but I do feel like I’m completely wasted doing these kinds of things

-I find doing repetitive tasks really difficult- it’s the reason I loved my old job. I never had to do things the old and slow way - I had freedom to enhance things. Some of the excel tools I’d rather unalive than have to use because they’re so long winded and inefficient.

-Some of the work really goes against my ethics. There’s some analysis techniques you shouldn’t use with certain data. You might as well have an educated guess as it would be just as good as some of the things I’m being asked to do. I’ve tried to broach this but met with a fair bit of pushback. “It’s the way we’ve always done it” but then they do come back and say they’re willing to change.

I basically sit there moving tit around in PowerPoint and can’t help but think about my old day rate and how daft it is that I’m basically doing that for work I don’t want my name against because I feel 0 sense of achievement for selling snake oil. I feel like I’ve been mis sold a role a bit and the nature of the work is making me a bit snappy and disgruntled. It feels a bit early in the role to feel this unhappy.
I knew on the first day at my old job that it was wrong for me. I had to work to pay bills so I stuck it out but it took its toll. I think if you know you know and there’s no shame in that.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.