The advice thread for random problems #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yeah, I know it might work against me, but I honestly don’t know how I’ll be able to manage presenting this without getting sick. I get physically paralyzed at the idea.

I don’t even have any pictures of myself on a hike or walking because I’ve no friends or family to take pictures of me.
You could use stock pictures of places you’ve been? Some pictures of you from when you were younger in places you liked? If the idea of actually standing up and doing it worries you could you be creative? Make the PowerPoint with a voiceover, or do it all as a PowerPoint with no speaking. Insert voice clips to explain yourself?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Yeah, I know it might work against me, but I honestly don’t know how I’ll be able to manage presenting this without getting sick. I get physically paralyzed at the idea.

I don’t even have any pictures of myself on a hike or walking because I’ve no friends or family to take pictures of me.
Then I'd say definitely talk to HR! And also your GP who might be able to write you a note or, in case they won't accomodate, may be able to help medically with something against the anxiety?

You're a solo hiker now, that's your thing, congrats 😉 - at least when it comes to your company. Nobody needs to know the reason, it's just something you like to do, going on treks by yourself.

As for the pics: just put some pics of landmarks and/or trees and tell the story of where you went. The more boring and unexciting the better. Doesn't even need to be completely true either.

You can add some nice stuff like "relying only on yourself on hikes gives your self confidence a boost" or something like that if asked for the why or if you need material. Helps avoid awkward questions and if you're so inclined you can say no to hiking invitations from other people too.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Does scaffolding usually make a lot of noise once up? My neighbours have some up and it’s clanging away, it’s not even that windy.

Does scaffolding usually make a lot of noise once up? My neighbours have some up and it’s clanging away, it’s not even that windy.
I think if it’s not secured properly it can do, it might have something hanging loose to it. Worth letting them know as it could be dangerous.

Reactions: 2
I think if it’s not secured properly it can do, it might have something hanging loose to it. Worth letting them know as it could be dangerous.
Thanks, I went to check and some of the boards were swinging off 😦 I thought they had to secure them? I called the landlord (we’ve got the same) but they were very blasé, said they’ll pick it up tomorrow. Hope they come out before the weekend.

Thanks, I went to check and some of the boards were swinging off 😦 I thought they had to secure them? I called the landlord (we’ve got the same) but they were very blasé, said they’ll pick it up tomorrow. Hope they come out before the weekend.
That’s really dangerous- hopefully no one will get hurt before it’s collected

I need help on how to politely turn this down.

We have this practice in my new team where people have to present a pre-defined PowerPoint to introduce themselves as new joiners (likes such as food, sports and dislikes etc).

We have to add personal pictures and present it in front of our whole team of 70 people.

I don’t want to do this for various reasons:
1. I’m a very private person
2. I’ve no pictures to put on there (I’ve no friends or family to take pictures with).
3. I am petrified at the idea of speaking in such a large group - I get physically sick at the thought of it.

How do I politely turn this down without sounding like I’m refusing to play the corporate game?!
I think @tomato_paste ’s idea is great.
However it doesn’t solve the problem of the fear of public speaking so it could be combined with the voice over idea. If that’s too much, I think you have 2 options. Be completely honest or lie a bit.

Unless your job calls for public speaking I don’t think you need to lie about that, it’s a common fear, just tell them it’s debilitating, you don’t want to make yourself feel/look foolish as your introduction to the company.
Come with solutions not problems so perhaps offer an idea like you’re happy to have people visit you at your desk individually or vice versa over the first week. Or perhaps put a little q&a together on an email (then bullshit the answers if you don’t want to share)

Lies you could use if you don’t want to be completely honest
- corrupted hard drive, pictures all lost.
- previous experience of workplace bullying or stalker, not comfortable sharing personal info nor talking about it any further.

However, you mention not having friends which you may be comfortable with/through choice but if not, this could be an ideal opportunity to be a bit open and you may find common interests with some of the team. If you don’t want to make friends, at least you’ll have something to talk about when you’re forced into chit chat that actually interests you.

Reactions: 5
Wondering if someone has some advice.
The wall in my bedroom is wet. I don't know whether it's a leak or condensation. I have the window open and a dehumidifier but nothing seems to shift it. The wall has mould on it. I can clean the mould off (shout out to cillit bang mould cleaner) and it does come off but it's obviously not dealing with the source of the problem. Does anyone have any advice? I have contacted the landlord (I'll refrain from comment on that)

Reactions: 1
The wall in my bedroom is wet. I don't know whether it's a leak or condensation. I have the window open and a dehumidifier but nothing seems to shift it. The wall has mould on it. I can clean the mould off (shout out to cillit bang mould cleaner) and it does come off but it's obviously not dealing with the source of the problem. Does anyone have any advice? I have contacted the landlord (I'll refrain from comment on that)
I have no advice on shifting it but I had this with walls in my kitchen when I was renting. The landlord and letting agents were utter pricks and wouldn't do anything about it. We contacted the environmental health of our local council and they sent an officer to assess and then they kicked his arse to fix it and fined him. It might be worth a shot?

• Heart
I have no advice on shifting it but I had this with walls in my kitchen when I was renting. The landlord and letting agents were utter pricks and wouldn't do anything about it. Contact the environmental health of your local
Thank you! I am hoping they will do something about it. It's right behind my bed so I think it's the roof but there is literal drops of water on my wall!!

What’s on the other side of the wall, is it external? If so, is it wet?

What’s on the other side of the wall, is it external? If so, is it wet?
It's external and it's brick straight under a roof. It's one of those loft rooms where it's like a slanted ceiling from the roof (does that make sense?) There is plenty of air flow getting to it because my bed doesn't reach the wall due to the roof

I've spent alot of time on the rant thread moaning about losing weight and nothing happening but my moment of joy came today.

Last year I was busting out of a size 18.
I ordered some Mom jeans (always been a skinny jeans kinda gal) in a 14 to slim into for spring / Summer and they fit now 🥺

Now my dilemma is, do I keep them or return for a size 12 (🥺) and use them as motivation to slim into?!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I've spent alot of time on the rant thread moaning about losing weight and nothing happening but my moment of joy came today.

Last year I was busting out of a size 18.
I ordered some Mom jeans (always been a skinny jeans kinda gal) in a 14 to slim into for spring / Summer and they fit now 🥺

Now my dilemma is, do I keep them or return for a size 12 (🥺) and use them as motivation to slim into?!
It depends when you're going to wear them. I personally would keep them as a feel good about yourself and your progress!

Reactions: 5
Update on the landlord and the dripping wall. Just condensation and they aren't doing anything about it 🤷‍♀️

• Angry
  • Sad
It's external and it's brick straight under a roof. It's one of those loft rooms where it's like a slanted ceiling from the roof (does that make sense?) There is plenty of air flow getting to it because my bed doesn't reach the wall due to the roof
Oh I see, sounds like your bed is up against the gable end. I wondering if a blocked gutter was causing water to constantly run down the outside wall. If you’re in the attic room I guess there’s no roof space so you’d think if the roof was faulty it’d be coming through the ceiling.
Is there a velux you can see out of to the gutter. Or maybe shine a torch up the side of the house in the dark to see if it’s damp.

Keep them, otherwise you’re never rewarding yourself and where will you stop returning for the next size?
---
Update on the landlord and the dripping wall. Just condensation and they aren't doing anything about it 🤷‍♀️
Edit: just seen this, sounds like bollocks. You can buy a damp seal paint. If your walls are white, it might be worth a try.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I could use some advice on Covid etiquette these days?

The situation is as follows:

Stayed with a girl friend from yesterday to today, we shared a meal and went out for drinks but slept in separate rooms for the night but in her flat.

Today she's tested positive.
I'm supposed to travel for work on Monday to headquarters for a general meeting that will last all week.

Additionally, there's some video recording the week after that I have been asked to do by the big boss.

So missing it would suck a lot but giving Covid to the whole company would suck as well.

Additionally I leave Monday really early via train, before head office opens.

Already tried contacting HR but so far no answer.

Stayed with a girl friend from yesterday to today, we shared a meal and went out for drinks but slept in separate rooms for the night but in her flat.

I'm supposed to travel for work on Monday to headquarters for a general meeting that will last all week.

Additionally, there's some video recording the week after that I have been asked to do by the big boss.

So missing it would suck a lot but giving Covid to the whole company would suck as well.

Wear a mask on the train and in public places like shops etc until you know you are negative. If you can’t get hold of HR then go to work but wear a mask. Tell them once you arrive.
We don’t send peoole home with covid anymore but have them wear a mask and just keep a distance from them where possible.
In fairness though at our job it’s easy to keep a bit if distance.

I think the stat is something like under 20% of people can pass it on. Do you know if she’s had it before and if she’s passed it to anyone then? I didn’t either time I had it including partner I share a bed with or my breast fed baby.

I would take usual precautions but the advice isn’t to stay home anymore and testing is by choice so realistically there could be people within the company walking around with it anyway.

However, there’s no point in going if you’re going to be too ill to work so I would keep testing until the last minute. First time I had it I was pretty much symptom free, the second I was wiped out For a few days and friends have had a similar experience. Anecdotal obviously but worth considering perhaps.

I had this problem. Was a condensation issue from other parts of the house. Moisture from kitchen and bathroom was clinging to the cold walls and making them wet. Best way is to keep doors shut on moist rooms

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.