The advice thread for random problems #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
JEANS FOR APPLE SHAPED BODY. I haven’t been able to find a pair of jeans that fits me nicely since I was about 17. I’m overweight and a size 18, 5’8 but I have narrow hips, no bum and slim legs with a bigger belly. What style of jeans should I be wearing? Even when I was slim I struggled with this body shape and jeans. I see loads of bigger women wearing jeans who look lovely. If I buy an 18, it fits on my waist but is saggy everywhere else and anything smaller I can’t fasten. Help!!!!! X

Reactions: 2
Can anyone offer advice on smoking/vaping?
Husband and I were both smokers for over ten years. Five years ago we both went onto vapes, and then quit. Neither of us have had any nicotine products since our first child was born (that’s what made us both knock it on the head for good).
In the last six months however, my husband has secretly taken up vaping again. First time I found his vape completely innocently (was hanging up a coat and it fell out of the pocket) and I’m not going to lie I was shocked. It seems like such a bizarre decision to make after being a smoker for a decade and knowing how tough it was to quit. I confronted him and he said sorry, to do with stress, was disappointed in himself and it wouldn’t happen again.
I’ve since found another three, the most recent being this morning. Every time we have the same conversation - he’s disappointed in himself, doesn’t want to be addicted, will stop. Safe to say I do not believe him anymore.

I know it isn’t my place to stop someone from doing something, but at the same time we’re married. We share a home, we have a child already and I’m pregnant. Plus since all of this my dad developed (and survived, luckily) lung cancer. I don’t want this in our lives to be honest. And what hurts more is the lying. He clearly has no intentions of stopping it and he keeps hiding it from me.
He doesn’t know I’ve found the one this morning (I didn’t stumble across this one, I looked for it in his coat pocket because I smelled it on him when he got home last night). How do I approach this conversation?

Reactions: 1
JEANS FOR APPLE SHAPED BODY. I haven’t been able to find a pair of jeans that fits me nicely since I was about 17. I’m overweight and a size 18, 5’8 but I have narrow hips, no bum and slim legs with a bigger belly. What style of jeans should I be wearing? Even when I was slim I struggled with this body shape and jeans. I see loads of bigger women wearing jeans who look lovely. If I buy an 18, it fits on my waist but is saggy everywhere else and anything smaller I can’t fasten. Help!!!!! X
you need a mid rise (so it’s going to sit on the smaller part of your waist) bootcut or slim leg i would say. a bootcut widens very slightly at the bottom and so will balance out.

buying jeans can be such a pain 🤣 i had little look online and found this helpful for you though! it’s hugely detailed but the jeans section is towards the end:

Reactions: 3
you need a mid rise (so it’s going to sit on the smaller part of your waist) bootcut or slim leg i would say. a bootcut widens very slightly at the bottom and so will balance out.

buying jeans can be such a pain 🤣 i had little look online and found this helpful for you though! it’s hugely detailed but the jeans section is towards the end:

thanks so much!

• Heart
Husband and I were both smokers for over ten years. Five years ago we both went onto vapes, and then quit. Neither of us have had any nicotine products since our first child was born (that’s what made us both knock it on the head for good).
In the last six months however, my husband has secretly taken up vaping again. First time I found his vape completely innocently (was hanging up a coat and it fell out of the pocket) and I’m not going to lie I was shocked. It seems like such a bizarre decision to make after being a smoker for a decade and knowing how tough it was to quit. I confronted him and he said sorry, to do with stress, was disappointed in himself and it wouldn’t happen again.
I’ve since found another three, the most recent being this morning. Every time we have the same conversation - he’s disappointed in himself, doesn’t want to be addicted, will stop. Safe to say I do not believe him anymore.

I know it isn’t my place to stop someone from doing something, but at the same time we’re married. We share a home, we have a child already and I’m pregnant. Plus since all of this my dad developed (and survived, luckily) lung cancer. I don’t want this in our lives to be honest. And what hurts more is the lying. He clearly has no intentions of stopping it and he keeps hiding it from me.
He doesn’t know I’ve found the one this morning (I didn’t stumble across this one, I looked for it in his coat pocket because I smelled it on him when he got home last night). How do I approach this conversation?
I guess at this point the conversation isn't about the vaping itself necessarily, but more the lying and sneaking around. That wouldn't sit well with me, as it would make me question how they can lie so easily about something to be honest.

Do you know he definitely quit when you did before? Addiction is also an illness so if he is genuinely addicted to nicotine then I would approach more softly than if I'd found my partner lying about other things.

Full disclosure, I am an ex smoker that also recently quit vaping and its bleeping hard.

I'd say separate it into two topics:

1. The lying. It is a massive breach of trust to lie to you again and again. He should be honest with you and take responsibility for his decision to vape again. So yeah, that stuff needs to be sorted out and he has to do the work to get to the root of why he's lying, and to make sure to earn your trust back. If you can find the time and afford it I would even say counselling.

2. The addiction. I would recommend Hubermans Lab's podcast about nicotine addiction for both of you because it is truly fucked up how much more addicting vaping is because of the dopamine hits it gives you. Patches and gums can help for the cravings but in the end it needs to be his decision to quit. Guilting him will not work.

So give him the information he needs but the decision to quit is his. How you decide to deal with it on the other hand is up to you. Can you accept him vaping, at least for now or is it a deal breaker? Do you need a plan or a timeframe from him? What's your goal in this conflict? You cannot choose for him, only for you mind.

• Heart

In the same boat here - except no children, and I've never smoked. Caught my husband vaping a few months ago - after which he said he'd given the vape to a friend so he only has it when they go out - and again about 10 days ago.

He'd made such a song and dance last year about being worried about a cough and convinced himself he'd got something bad, had tests and everything was ok, so I was annoyed two fold; one, about the lying and sneaking around, and second about the smoking itself, and like he felt he'd got the green card to do so again because the cough he was worried about last year wasn't anything serious.

I had it out with him over the lying, and kept repeating that we all have to make difficult choices for our health. He was also doing it in the house, and I said he had to do it outside, I don't care if it's cold and wet, go and stand outside and "enjoy" your smoke.

In the same boat here - except no children, and I've never smoked. Caught my husband vaping a few months ago - after which he said he'd given the vape to a friend so he only has it when they go out - and again about 10 days ago.

He'd made such a song and dance last year about being worried about a cough and convinced himself he'd got something bad, had tests and everything was ok, so I was annoyed two fold; one, about the lying and sneaking around, and second about the smoking itself, and like he felt he'd got the green card to do so again because the cough he was worried about last year wasn't anything serious.

I had it out with him over the lying, and kept repeating that we all have to make difficult choices for our health. He was also doing it in the house, and I said he had to do it outside, I don't care if it's cold and wet, go and stand outside and "enjoy" your smoke.
Sorry you’re going through it too. It’s a really tough balance between wanting the best for your partner but not wanting to control their actions isn’t it.
I had it out with my husband, told him that I didn’t want him to be a smoker but that I was also really concerned about the lying. Told him I know it’s an addiction and if he means what he says about feeling disappointed in himself I wanted to support him in whatever way that looked like.
Another user above me explained it really well that vaping is different to smoking because of the extra dopamine hit (I guess from the pleasant taste? As smoking cigarettes wasn’t exactly what I’d call pleasant haha) so it can be harder to quit. I explained this to my husband and said if he was really struggling to stop, then he should either switch to a 0% vape to wean himself off the nicotine but still have the vape, or get a nicotine replacement but cut the vape altogether (so tackling one issue at a time) and whilst he’s going cold Turkey at the moment, he said knowing he has options and that I’m supportive is helpful

• Heart
Hello! Bit of an unusual request but can anyone recommend a florist/company that does preserved bouquets or floral arrangements and delivers to north England? Looking online there doesn't seem to be many companies and I thought surely a Tattler has a recommendation?
Thank you ☺ (prefer to order online so I can see what I am getting)

Hello! Bit of an unusual request but can anyone recommend a florist/company that does preserved bouquets or floral arrangements and delivers to north England? Looking online there doesn't seem to be many companies and I thought surely a Tattler has a recommendation?
My brother (south) always uses interflora to send bouquets to my mum (north)

I’ve got such an tickly throat that will probably turn into a cold in a few days. but i hate the first bit where you can feel it all in your throat 😑

any remdies please people of tattle 😊???

I’ve got such an tickly throat that will probably turn into a cold in a few days. but i hate the first bit where you can feel it all in your throat 😑

Either old fashioned hot apple and blackcurrant or some honey, slices of ginger and some lemon. Feel better soon!

There are lots of nice ones on Etsy!

Bloom & Wild have quite dried bunches too.

• Heart

First defence or dual defence

Coldzyme! It's amazing stuff (and expensive), but you really need to keep remembering to take it.

I need help on how to politely turn this down.

We have this practice in my new team where people have to present a pre-defined PowerPoint to introduce themselves as new joiners (likes such as food, sports and dislikes etc).

We have to add personal pictures and present it in front of our whole team of 70 people.

I don’t want to do this for various reasons:
1. I’m a very private person
2. I’ve no pictures to put on there (I’ve no friends or family to take pictures with).
3. I am petrified at the idea of speaking in such a large group - I get physically sick at the thought of it.

How do I politely turn this down without sounding like I’m refusing to play the corporate game?!

• Heart
I need help on how to politely turn this down.

We have this practice in my new team where people have to present a pre-defined PowerPoint to introduce themselves as new joiners (likes such as food, sports and dislikes etc).

We have to add personal pictures and present it in front of our whole team of 70 people.

I don’t want to do this for various reasons:
1. I’m a very private person
2. I’ve no pictures to put on there (I’ve no friends or family to take pictures with).
3. I am petrified at the idea of speaking in such a large group - I get physically sick at the thought of it.

How do I politely turn this down without sounding like I’m refusing to play the corporate game?!
I know it sucks having to do this but I think it might work against you if you don't. Are you planning on trying to climb the career ladder there or is it any old corporate job? If you have an HR dept you could ask if they can make an exception because of your anxiety of public speaking? But it might not be the best start to your position there if you plan on raising through the ranks.

If you can get yourself to do it, I'd be plane jane - so for pics I'd say: pictures of outings you've been on that are completely and utterly normal like a walk, a day out in a small town or a hike to some unexciting place, pics of mediocre sightseeing spots, pics of a cake or some food you made or ate, or your houseplants - all things that pretty much everyone does or has and that won't give away anything about you in the slightest. If they're mediorce pics all the better 😅

Just be enthusiastic about the most boring stuff and people will leave you alone and will not pay attention at the presentation either.

I know it sucks having to do this but I think it might work against you if you don't. Are you planning on trying to climb the career ladder there or is it any old corporate job? If you have an HR dept you could ask if they can make an exception because of your anxiety of public speaking? But it might not be the best start to your position there if you plan on raising through the ranks.

If you can get yourself to do it, I'd be plane jane - so for pics I'd say: pictures of outings you've been on that are completely and utterly normal like a walk, a day out in a small town or a hike to some unexciting place, pics of mediocre sightseeing spots, pics of a cake or some food you made or ate, or your houseplants - all things that pretty much everyone does or has and that won't give away anything about you in the slightest. If they're mediorce pics all the better 😅

Just be enthusiastic about the most boring stuff and people will leave you alone and will not pay attention at the presentation either.
Yeah, I know it might work against me, but I honestly don’t know how I’ll be able to manage presenting this without getting sick. I get physically paralyzed at the idea.

I don’t even have any pictures of myself on a hike or walking because I’ve no friends or family to take pictures of me.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.