The advice thread for random problems #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Help please... I got offered a job yesterday full time but also trying to pursue the option of going back to study in September for a year now both kids will be in school. This studying will be a dream of mine since young.

no idea which route to take! Problem is the job was offered through friend so feel like if turn it down now I'll be letting her down...

I just feel so torn and need other people's perspective.
Well done! Nice to be headhunted for something 😎 I’d say that if you’re not desperate for a job right now you should stick to your long term goal to study. It might feel like losing an opportunity that’s fallen into your lap but you have a plan and want to stick to it, right? Or talk to your friend about part-time?

Help please... I got offered a job yesterday full time but also trying to pursue the option of going back to study in September for a year now both kids will be in school. This studying will be a dream of mine since young.

no idea which route to take! Problem is the job was offered through friend so feel like if turn it down now I'll be letting her down...

Are you pursuing a masters? Also how well does the job pay?

Are you pursuing a masters? Also how well does the job pay?
no it's a pgce so a 1 year course. The job pays slightly more then I'm on but currently on but that's because I will be going from part time to full time so if I would to go full time in my current job then it would work out less (if that makes sense)

---

Well done! Nice to be headhunted for something 😎 I’d say that if you’re not desperate for a job right now you should stick to your long term goal to study. It might feel like losing an opportunity that’s fallen into your lap but you have a plan and want to stick to it, right? Or talk to your friend about part-time?
it's definitely a full time job and the reason why I haven't gone for it before but thought now might be right time. Thank you for the advice - ideally I would like to study. My main worry is the financial aspect of it - but then again a family member is back studying so why shouldn't I?

Reactions: 1
no it's a pgce so a 1 year course. The job pays slightly more then I'm on but currently on but that's because I will be going from part time to full time so if I would to go full time in my current job then it would work out less (if that makes sense)

---

it's definitely a full time job and the reason why I haven't gone for it before but thought now might be right time. Thank you for the advice - ideally I would like to study. My main worry is the financial aspect of it - but then again a family member is back studying so why shouldn't I?
I understand what you mean about how the pay works out. If the one year course increases your expected earning potential then I would maybe consider it. Otherwise, the full time salary would be of more use to you. Hopefully there are other ways to pursue learning like online and evenings?

I’ve been doing a lot more washing recently (4m old) and my washing machine seal is covered in black mould, plus the detergent tray is also gross. How do people clean their washing machines - in particular the seal - and then keep them clean? Does anyone use Calgon and is it worth it (I live in a hard water area)? Does anyone ever clean out the filter? Whenever I’ve tried to in the past it just leaks water onto the floor but is empty of any grime.

Apologies for the seriously boring problem/questions but I really want to tackle this before it gets worse and the answers online all suggest bicarbonate of soda which I’ve tried before and it just gets clogged up in lumps which I then need to fish out 😫

I’ve been doing a lot more washing recently (4m old) and my washing machine seal is covered in black mould, plus the detergent tray is also gross. How do people clean their washing machines - in particular the seal - and then keep them clean? Does anyone use Calgon and is it worth it (I live in a hard water area)? Does anyone ever clean out the filter? Whenever I’ve tried to in the past it just leaks water onto the floor but is empty of any grime.

Apologies for the seriously boring problem/questions but I really want to tackle this before it gets worse and the answers online all suggest bicarbonate of soda which I’ve tried before and it just gets clogged up in lumps which I then need to fish out 😫
You can pull the tray right out and give it a scrub, you fully extend it out then sort of tip it up and tug. There will probably be a YouTube or IG reel on how to do it. Also a baking sheet or tray on the floor to catch the water from the filter.
A hot vinegar wash should help. Run the hottest cycle with a cup of white vinegar and soda crystals.

---

If you can afford it, study. One year is nothing in the scheme of things, your financial situation might change and your previous qualifications outdated.
Tell the friend you’re really sorry but you’re pursuing a dream and you’d rather turn the job down than only stay for a year or two, how can they not support that?!

Reactions: 2
I need to break up with my PT and I do not know how to do it.

I signed up 4 months before my wedding last year, I bought 40 sessions with her in the idea I would do 2 a week. She is also the gym manager and ended up cancelling so many of them due to having to cover, being ill ect. So I ended up having over 20 sessions left after my wedding. I managed to get some in before Christmas but to be honest she has been pretty useless again. There is little effort, it's just made up on the spot. No progression in weights as she can't remember what we did last session. I have 10 sessions left, pre paid and I just want to call it a day. She hasn't seen me since Christmas as she couldn't fit me in as I need afternoons due to my hours changing at work and then she was ill.

I tried before Christmas and asked if her other clients wanted to buy them, as she has done to me when people have been ill etc. but she never did it. I have paid her directly instead of through the club, which she shouldn't do but she did me a deal and seems to do it with most of her clients.

It's awkward as it's likely I will still see her in the gym and she is really lovely but I think she's got a bit complacent, most of her clients see her for the social side of it. She is always willing to try and make the sessions work and even offered me her guest membership when I mentioned I might need to leave but when it comes to it she cancels more often than not and to be honest I have just lost the want for it.

I signed up 4 months before my wedding last year, I bought 40 sessions with her in the idea I would do 2 a week. She is also the gym manager and ended up cancelling so many of them due to having to cover, being ill ect. So I ended up having over 20 sessions left after my wedding. I managed to get some in before Christmas but to be honest she has been pretty useless again. There is little effort, it's just made up on the spot. No progression in weights as she can't remember what we did last session. I have 10 sessions left, pre paid and I just want to call it a day. She hasn't seen me since Christmas as she couldn't fit me in as I need afternoons due to my hours changing at work and then she was ill.

I tried before Christmas and asked if her other clients wanted to buy them, as she has done to me when people have been ill etc. but she never did it. I have paid her directly instead of through the club, which she shouldn't do but she did me a deal and seems to do it with most of her clients.

It's awkward as it's likely I will still see her in the gym and she is really lovely but I think she's got a bit complacent, most of her clients see her for the social side of it. She is always willing to try and make the sessions work and even offered me her guest membership when I mentioned I might need to leave but when it comes to it she cancels more often than not and to be honest I have just lost the want for it.
Honestly if it was me I'd be wanting my money back from whats left, I assume you told her what times were going to work for you at the beginning? If she wasn't going to be able to fully commit to that then really she shouldn't have done it, she sounds like because she's the manager then she can take the piss a bit, I would think if anyone else done that then she would fire them for not taking the job seriously enough

It also sounds like she's talked you into a direct pay by offering a deal so you would take it, if she said you shouldn't do that then it kind of sounds like she's trying to get some extra cash an rather than you paying the club an she's just getting wages then she's also getting your money plus her wages which sounds a bit dodgy

She might seem lovely but tbh she's kind of conned you out of your money, she's not taking the job seriously, shes messing around with not having workouts sorted an updated as you go, she's never there (any other workplace would be given warnings or firing staff if they took a ton of time off) an she's talked you into paying her directly than through a club

Sometimes you have to think how would you tell someone else what to do if they told you they had this problem, look at it from a outsiders view

Reactions: 11

Could you gift the remaining sessions to someone or sell them on? I think it's understandable to say that you're done or you fancy a change up.
If she wont allow someone else to take them, could she write you a plan to at least get something back from what you've paid?
She's been a bit dodgy tbf so you'd think she'd try to help.
ETA I agree shes messed you around and i would want my money back but it it sounds like you don't want to rock the boat hence my suggestions.

Could you gift the remaining sessions to someone or sell them on? I think it's understandable to say that you're done or you fancy a change up.
If she wont allow someone else to take them, could she write you a plan to at least get something back from what you've paid?
She's been a bit dodgy tbf so you'd think she'd try to help.
ETA I agree shes messed you around and i would want my money back but it it sounds like you don't want to rock the boat hence my suggestions.
Sadly I don't actually know anyone to give/sell them to. I asked her for a plan before so at lease I could do something on the days she cancelled and she never did it!

Sadly I don't actually know anyone to give/sell them to. I asked her for a plan before so at lease I could do something on the days she cancelled and she never did it!
She sounds awful. I’d want to put in an anonymous complaint, demand my money back and change gyms but I appreciate its not that easy.

Reactions: 4
Honestly if it was me I'd be wanting my money back from whats left, I assume you told her what times were going to work for you at the beginning? If she wasn't going to be able to fully commit to that then really she shouldn't have done it, she sounds like because she's the manager then she can take the piss a bit, I would think if anyone else done that then she would fire them for not taking the job seriously enough

It also sounds like she's talked you into a direct pay by offering a deal so you would take it, if she said you shouldn't do that then it kind of sounds like she's trying to get some extra cash an rather than you paying the club an she's just getting wages then she's also getting your money plus her wages which sounds a bit dodgy

She might seem lovely but tbh she's kind of conned you out of your money, she's not taking the job seriously, shes messing around with not having workouts sorted an updated as you go, she's never there (any other workplace would be given warnings or firing staff if they took a ton of time off) an she's talked you into paying her directly than through a club

Sometimes you have to think how would you tell someone else what to do if they told you they had this problem, look at it from a outsiders view
Sorry I didn't see your reply earlier.

Yeah when I first started we discussed times before I signed up and we agreed two 7am sessions a week, I think I probably got three of these. She just put people in her diary as and when where as my friend goes to a PT at another gym and gets the same slot each week. I tended to move things around to try and get her in but I am beyond that now.

I spoke to her over Christmas as said work have asked me to start earlier and could she do 6pm once week, and it wasn't a problem but as yet she has not made it.

I think her other clients like it as they don't pay the club premium, but it means I can't even move to someone else or raise it with them. She spends most of the time moaning about the job, and he newest boyfriend.

I think I need to see her as someone I have 'employed'. I know she doesn't get paid that well and I think she's taken on too many clients to sub her income. I just need to work out how to say it!

Sorry I didn't see your reply earlier.

Yeah when I first started we discussed times before I signed up and we agreed two 7am sessions a week, I think I probably got three of these. She just put people in her diary as and when where as my friend goes to a PT at another gym and gets the same slot each week. I tended to move things around to try and get her in but I am beyond that now.

I spoke to her over Christmas as said work have asked me to start earlier and could she do 6pm once week, and it wasn't a problem but as yet she has not made it.

I think her other clients like it as they don't pay the club premium, but it means I can't even move to someone else or raise it with them. She spends most of the time moaning about the job, and he newest boyfriend.

I think I need to see her as someone I have 'employed'. I know she doesn't get paid that well and I think she's taken on too many clients to sub her income. I just need to work out how to say it!
I think I'd be doing the same as @littlepup said, putting in a complaint an getting my money back, even managers have area or head office managers

She really sounds unprofessional with the job, you aren't there to hear her complaints about her job an new bf, your a client that's paid for a service that she's not giving you, it isn't your fault she doesn't like the job nor is it your fault she's taken on too many people, or that she isn't paid well

She's obviously messing around because she doesn't like the job an your the one that's essentially missing out an losing your money

Reactions: 3

I would definitely say you want to end the Pt and say you know you still have around 10 sessions left which have been paid for. Possibly say, could you get a fixed time day/time each week until these are used up.. or say to put the money from those towards your gym membership fee. If she’s not forthcoming about those I’d probably say your going to have to take the loss on 10 sessions 🙈 I hate the break up with PTs 😂

I think I'd be doing the same as @littlepup said, putting in a complaint an getting my money back, even managers have area or head office managers

She really sounds unprofessional with the job, you aren't there to hear her complaints about her job an new bf, your a client that's paid for a service that she's not giving you, it isn't your fault she doesn't like the job nor is it your fault she's taken on too many people, or that she isn't paid well

She's obviously messing around because she doesn't like the job an your the one that's essentially missing out an losing your money
She will get the sack, while I get she's wrong I can't do that.

I've drafted something to send, so fingers crossed.

She will get the sack, while I get she's wrong I can't do that.

I've drafted something to send, so fingers crossed.
Wouldn't she get disciplinarys first? I think it's a 3 stage before you can fire where you need to do a disciplinary, then written letter with a warning an then a meeting

It sounds like if she would be straight up fired then she's probably already had all those an she's on her last chance, which tbf wouldn't be your fault if that was the case

I hope you can get something sorted though an she doesn't guilt you into anything where your still losing out

If you can afford to, turn the job down and Don’t feel bad about it. Just be honset and say you are going back to studying

She will get in trouble for undercutting as well. She shouldn’t be taking money from clients in this way, it should all be done through the club. Defo complain and she will get what she deserves

I got blood tests done two weeks ago & I still haven’t heard anything. I rang the doctor last week and was told they haven’t received any results from the hospital. I wonder if I should ring the hospital to follow up?!

I’m worried they may have misplaced the results & I’ll need to do the tests again. I was t checked in properly at the reception. I was told to just go to the blood test room andI gave them my referral letter (which they kept).

I’m still feeling unwell, so I’m eager to know what’s wrong if anything.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.