Terrible arguments with friends

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I stole her thunder on purpose apparently !
Oh my goodness. I wish I was surprised, but I do sort of know other women like this. A woman I used to work with announced her first pregnancy and that she was expecting twins. Another female colleague on our floor but not within our team announced her pregnancy like a week or so later. Cue my colleague snidely remarking "Not with twins though!" clearly super irritated.

This same girl seemed annoyed that other people were planning their weddings/getting engaged around the same time as her too though so, just one of those people.

It's awful though that it was a friend of yours who did it, how callous.

Reactions: 4
My best friend of 9 years left me alone on a night out to go have sex with a stranger, I had just turned 18 and was very drunk in a city centre and my phone was dead which she knew. Hasn’t been the same since, that was 3.5 years ago and I haven’t seen her since then but we do talk
She also stole from me that night

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
My best friend at uni organised an Anne Summers party which I told her I wouldn’t go to as I find the whole premise of them utter cringe. I was very clear I wasn’t going and she said she was ok about it. Halfway through the party she starts trying to kick my bedroom door open (thankfully it was locked) so I kept silent and she stopped.
The next day the rest of our flat of 6 weren’t speaking to me because of my non attendance so I pointed out I had clearly said I wouldn’t go and left. Later that night we were in the student union and she grabs me by the throat and pins me against a wall screaming that I’d ruined her crappy party by not attending!
The rest of that academic year was as fun as you can imagine. Oddly at the end of the year I simply asked who she was living with the next year and the whole flat had rented a house together. She then had the bleeping audacity to burst into tears and turn it round on me by saying she had been trying to tell me and not to dislike her! Utterly bizarre and so glad she is out of my life.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Yeah in retrospect it was usually all about her and very little interest in me so like a lot of people on this thread it’s a funny relief when you can end the friendship and see the toxicity for what it was.

Reactions: 1
When I was at uni I had 2 really close girl friends. We were inseparable in our first year so moved in together in our second and third. I had another friend in third who needed somewhere to live as no one would take her in so she moved in with us - the two original girls hated this friend at first - bitched about her all the time, didn’t include her in anything - I was the only one who made an effort with her.. During this time my parents went through a verrrrryyyy messy divorce and I was in a relationship with an emotionally abusive guy (they knew him and saw in the flesh him being abusive! Ie stalking our house etc) but he was friends with their boyfriends through courses so they stopped spending time with him but remained civil. Anyway, through all this I became depressed, stopped going to uni and was working constantly to pay my rent which I’d also got behind on due to not having a uni grant anymore. I spent most of my time with work friends and would get free drinks vouchers for one of their bars so the only time I’d go out would be straight after work on a Friday for free drinks. The uni girls hated that I had made other friends and went out with them on a Friday but couldn’t go out with them on a weeknight because of work and lack of money. I explained all of this to them and tried to spend time with them in other ways but it was never good enough. They then all of a sudden took the third girl in and all became “best friends” almost to make me jealous? It was like this third girl just got sucked into being “accepted” by them after they’d been so off with her to begin with so just started being horrible to me because they’d told her to be. They knew what was going on personally, and I was literally not eating anything or sleeping properly and so unwell - but they just became so toxic. They would purposely cut me out of things and ignore me or make comments about me. I hated being in the house if they were at home so would sit in my room all day without leaving - I could often hear them talk about how useless a friend I was and so on. They then started up their friendship with my abusive (obviously by this point) ex boyfriend almost as a way to get back at me?! It was so bizarre. Anyway; it was never the same. We have each other on socials but I don’t miss them at all and am so glad they showed their true colours. One of them reached out to me a year or so after we’d left to apologise for how she’d acted out of nowhere: I accepted the apology but we dont have a relationship. Honestly those two years were just hell. It was just the feeling of questioning whether it was all my fault because of the things they’d say that drove me insane. Now I realise that wasn’t the case at all!

reading all of your stories it’s so clear to see that some people just struggle to put themselves in others shoes and no matter what you’re dealing with they can only think of themselves as the most important person in the world!

I stole her thunder on purpose apparently !

I didn’t obviously
I can’t believe people are like this! I’m pregnant now and if one of my friends told me they were too, I’d be so excited! Some people are just odd

Reactions: 6
I’ve never actually had a proper argument with a friend 🤷‍♀️ I’m not a very confrontational person- I’ve had friends who have pissed me off and I’m not proud to say I have phased them out because I just can’t forgive very easily. I’ve also had the same happen to me a few times, the most hurtful is when I don’t even know what I’ve done wrong. I’m very wary of female friendships even now, I get very insecure.

I always think if they turn psycho that they must have always been a bit psycho and have been hiding it all this time!
I think this definitely applies to the person I mention further up. They had form for being unreasonable to the point of cutting off their own family for not bowing to their demands. I believe they get this from their mother who’s just as bad. She never really knew her father growing up but got in touch with him in her early 20’s was great for about 4 months till she cut him off for nothing more than bringing his partner with him on a weekend he came to visit her (and do other things in area. They had a motorbike and there’s some really great rides round the area we live they wanted to ride) she threw a hissy because he should of seen her and only her. Oh and the time she again threw a borderline hissy because her boyfriend at time was living with two friends. Said friends said we don’t mind you staying etc but we’d like you to chip in a fiver every now then for the gas/electric meter (I don’t think this is an unreasonable ask if you’re regularly using someone else’s utilities especially if they’re the type you have to top up)

Me and my other half had best friends who were engaged. They had been together for 20years.
Me and her were very close, we went on girly holidays would text all the time. I honestly wanted to ask her if she would look after my babies if me and my other half were to die. We had such an amazing friendship.
Then she split up with her fiancé and completely shut me out of her life because he was friends with my other half. I saw her recently and she just turned her back to me and blanked me. I miss our friendship so much

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Me and my other half had best friends who were engaged. They had been together for 20years.
Me and her were very close, we went on girly holidays would text all the time. I honestly wanted to ask her if she would look after my babies if me and my other half were to die. We had such an amazing friendship.
Then she split up with her fiancé and completely shut me out of her life because he was friends with my other half. I saw her recently and she just turned her back to me and blanked me. I miss our friendship so much
Maybe you should try and reach out to her one more time. And just say that you miss the friendship. It is worth a shot.

IVE GOT ANOTHER ONE CANT BELIEVE I FORGOT IT
Got invited to a close friends wedding last minute (long and confusing story as to why I wasn't invited orginally, nothing bad, just that we weren't close when she was planning) when I say last minute I mean two days before the wedding as someone dropped out. I instantly said yes as I panicked because she rang me. What i didnt realise was that it was only me that was invited. No plus 1, no partner invited. I was to be on my own from 11am (early wedding) to 7pm when the evening guests arrived? I told her I would love to go but I'd be so uncomfortable to be alone all day as I don't know anyone else that was there. I was totally not prepared to be sat alone awkwardly for 8 hours before anyone else I knew arrived! I said I would still like to go to the reception. I did. She blanked me and we haven't spoken sinceo_O

Reactions: 3
Mine was a bridezilla/hen party episode too. I planned her hen party, she told me it wasn’t good enough and asked me to downgrade from maid of honour to a guest. this was my friend of 20 years and I’ve not spoken to her since.

she owes me £1000s in therapy though 😂 #trustissues

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
Mine was a bridezilla/hen party episode too. I planned her hen party, she told me it wasn’t good enough and asked me to downgrade from maid of honour to a guest. this was my friend of 20 years and I’ve not spoken to her since.

she owes me £1000s in therapy though 😂 #trustissues
CBA with people like this. If they always had the potential to be like this and we were unaware then I totally think they always had it in them and they were just faking it the rest of the time or hiding it a little too well. How people can entirely turn on their friends ill never know

CBA with people like this. If they always had the potential to be like this and we were unaware then I totally think they always had it in them and they were just faking it the rest of the time or hiding it a little too well. How people can entirely turn on their friends ill never know
this is what my friends and family say now, like they say ‘she must’ve always been a [insert expletive here] and I’d even defend her and say but she wasn’t, I knew her but I think you’re right. You think you know someone when youve known them 20+ years but she did it with such ease and zero regret that I just believe she was good at putting on an act all those years!

Reactions: 1
Did you ask why afterwards or try to sort it??? That does seem odd!
Yes I questioned it and explained that you knew all the details, times so all you had to do was show up? Kept with the story “so tired fell asleep didn’t check my phone” come on! Doesn’t work night shifts so can’t use tired excuse. The more I went on about how upset I was on my birthday (I cried and all of my friends was expecting said BFF to come at anytime so kept getting asked “where’s —-??”) I felt so embarrassed too as I didn’t even have an answer.. imagine “falling asleep” on your best friends 21st and thinking a “sorry” will do. He even turned around and said “I won’t be apologising a hundred times” 🙄🙄🙄

If it was genuine mistake and I was in that situation, I would be so apologetic, arranging something super special asap, sending flowers or even hand delivering a gift or a card. However I received nothing, not even a card? So I distanced myself and it became mutual then one day I never got a reply and that ended our friendship. It still hurts me to this day and it’s been years. Also this was our first EVER argument - the worst and last it seems 😬

Reactions: 2
OK so another story, this is one that revolved around a friend's wedding. This is a long one, as it was a journey for me to realise how toxic this group of girls were.
Had a group of 3 friends I made during uni, (A), (B) and (C). By the end of uni they all had long-term boyfriends who all got along and joined our group too. To add, I was probably closest to C even though I had known A a bit longer.
C and her partner set me up with my now fiancé, which is a story in itself, but the fact they ended up not liking him was a catalyst in this particular story.
C and her partner got engaged. As soon as hen do plans got going there was drama, between our friend group and her other friend group. C ended up having FOUR different hen parties.
But the bridesmaids dresses somehow became the biggest issue. I tried on one I wasn't keen on and got ganged up on. I told C I'd happily wear whatever but knew she didn't love that dress anyway.
She picked one at a shop on a day some of us weren't available and sent us a photo of the dress saying something like "This is what you're wearing, end of." as if she didn't want a massive issue. The dress was lovely so I tried to overlook it.
Got measured for the dresses but when they came back I had put on a bit of weight in that time and mine didn't fit. I was devastated. I didn't know what to do but knew I'd eventually have to get in touch with the seamstress. B got in touch with me, asking me what I was going to do about my dress as if it was this huge problem that was holding up the wedding. It was obvious C had put her up to it (C hates confrontation/arguments) and B said to me "Have you thought about just losing some weight?" (Yes, seriously)
I was so shocked at the time, I can't remember what my response was. The seamstress actually managed to take it out and it fit me fine, so it was not as big a problem as they made it out to be.
I was also shunned from all of the wedding planning. They would go to bridal shows and not invite me. They once planned one in our group chat without specifically inviting me, I had to ASK if I could come.
I also kept asking C if there was anything I could do to help with the wedding but she was always like "Hm, not really" but then was having the other friends do stuff like make-up trials etc.
The worst was the actual hen do in Prague. Bridesmaid A was meant to plan it but somehow B, (MOH) took over planning the whole thing, and then "delegated" tasks to us because she was so busy. I was asked to look into prices for the Baths and what would be best but then she disregarded it all anyway and went with what she thought would be better.
I wanted to transfer B the money for the accommodation in advance so I would have more spending money when I was there but she told me we would sort it out later. I ended up handing over nearly half my spending money to her whilst we were there and by the end of the weekend I had no money left. I'm sure one of them snapped at me when I dared to moan about it.
Was meant to be sharing a room with A but she ditched me to share a room with C's SIL instead. It was also exhausting as we only flew out for one night so spent a majority of the weekend travelling. I came back from that weekend and cried.
Other times when we would be together they would say things that made me realise they were doing things without me. They even had pre's together once before I met up with them for drinks in town, and lied about it.
When the wedding finally came around they were perfectly civil with me on the day.
Then I saw a video the next day where all the bridesmaids had got on stage to sing together so was annoyed I had been left out of that too.
I then didn't hear from any of them for months until C told me the wedding photos were ready. We messaged a few times and then one day I found out they'd gone out for a meal and not invited me. And then had gone out for B's birthday and not invited me. They did this both times by posting a photo on Facebook so they knew I would see it. A also put up a Happy Birthday post for B and had cropped me out!
I decided that was the last straw and that I was better off without them. The fact that C participated and enabled all of this hurt me the most as I felt closest to her.
A and B have now unfriended me on Facebook. C hasn't, but haven't heard from her in 3 years. They all live on the same street together now 🙄
I'm sure from their point of view they don't think they did anything wrong, but they truly have no idea how much their actions fucked me up to this day, and I'll never really know what I did to deserve all that. Sorry this was so long but it weighs on me so much and I hate that they still live rent-free in my mind when I don't want them to.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 16