Taylor Swift #9 We did it, Joe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@kyaraslife and @Lotus Flower you've both said what I think so much better than I could express it! Great comments.
I think you expressed it perfectly! And I bet thats why she hasn’t said a single negative thing about him and was careful not to say she dumped him—she probably realized that, like you said, he’d lash out and spill stuff she doesn’t want spilled.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
The whole people pleaser narrative always seemed very narcissistic/victim-y to me. She’s only a people pleaser when it benefits her and even with this Matty situation the line is that she doesn’t care about his views and that she’s on top of the world so no one can force her to care
I agree it's quite martyred...

Reactions: 5
Taylor had a (healthy imho) distance from the media, general public, and swifties alike with Joe, so there was this disconnect from the girl that sent gifts, did liner notes in her albums with random capitals so you knew what she was thinking, didn’t take herself too seriously with jokes on Twitter and Instagram etc. Hence the parasocial relationship fans have. because she turned private then, the distance made sense.

However. Since the Joe breakup, how she handled the ratty healy thing genuinely upsetting fans, then the obvious distracting positive articles to me screams like ‘I’m on top of the world, I do what I want, I’m above you, so thanks for giving me your money but I don’t give a tit about you’. She’s not quite managed to descend from that distance and it’s all a bit patronising really, like oh I know the real Ratty, you just wouldn’t understand 💁🏻‍♀️

Probably spur her on, Ours style, that people don’t approve. She’ll get more like a teenager being told they can’t see who they want (which isn’t what’s happening but w/e).

Reactions: 15
The whole people pleaser narrative always seemed very narcissistic/victim-y to me. She’s only a people pleaser when it benefits her and even with this Matty situation the line is that she doesn’t care about his views and that she’s on top of the world so no one can force her to care
Did you hear my covert narcissism in disguise as altruism, lol

• Haha
Reactions: 14
It’s truly exhausting always rooting for the anti-hero 😉

In all seriousness the over exposure is coming for her again sadly. At least Reputation TV will be somewhat relevant in its themes again with all this mess 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 17
It’s truly exhausting always rooting for the anti-hero 😉

In all seriousness the over exposure is coming for her again sadly. At least Reputation TV will be somewhat relevant in its themes again with all this mess 😂
"Bridges burn, I never learn" quite literally.

Reactions: 14
It was just a joke from fans haha
I did think it might be a joke, though with her fans it really wouldn't surprise me if it were real so wasn't sure! Even if it were started as a joke I bet some of the more intense Swifties will see it as serious. 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I feel for her. In many ways she can't win.

She has to deal with the heartache of Joe not wanting her in the way she needed him to, but unlike most of us going through a breakup she's doing this in front of the world's media AND in front of thousands (and the whole of tik tok) every weekend.

An unwise, regrettable fling is something most of us have experienced, but again with a lot more privacy and fewer reminders. She has the added pressure of being someone who has this reputation of being unable to keep a man/closeted lesbian and so she probably does feel pressure to prove people wrong. As much as we want her to be healthy and honest, nobody really wants to watch her sob every night.

Someone said up thread that she could have any man she wanted, but I don't even think this is true. Partly due to her reputation, the song writing about partners/exes and the fact that she's basically a massive deal. Some pop stars can and do fade into obscurity, but she never will. She will always be Taylor Swift. Martin from accounts isn't likely to be able to deal with that. Plus, unless she finds herself a mega famous, multi billionaire, whoever she is with will probably be much less famous, wealthy and successful, and like it or not, a lot of men would find that emasculating.

She might have known Matty before, but it's not like they were always in each other's company in the past. She may well have thought of him as edgy but she maybe didn't have a clue about the controversial stuff (I didn't, I just thought he looks grubby). It's not like it made front page news before.

If Tree has been advising her then she's pretty bad at her job. If she hasn't then she's pretty bad at her job. If Taylor isn't listening to her then what is the point of her role?

I also wonder (and this isn't related at all really), but does the steer for all these versions of albums and songs come from Taylor or her record company?

Reactions: 13
I feel for her. In many ways she can't win.

She has to deal with the heartache of Joe not wanting her in the way she needed him to, but unlike most of us going through a breakup she's doing this in front of the world's media AND in front of thousands (and the whole of tik tok) every weekend.

An unwise, regrettable fling is something most of us have experienced, but again with a lot more privacy and fewer reminders. She has the added pressure of being someone who has this reputation of being unable to keep a man/closeted lesbian and so she probably does feel pressure to prove people wrong. As much as we want her to be healthy and honest, nobody really wants to watch her sob every night.

Someone said up thread that she could have any man she wanted, but I don't even think this is true. Partly due to her reputation, the song writing about partners/exes and the fact that she's basically a massive deal. Some pop stars can and do fade into obscurity, but she never will. She will always be Taylor Swift. Martin from accounts isn't likely to be able to deal with that. Plus, unless she finds herself a mega famous, multi billionaire, whoever she is with will probably be much less famous, wealthy and successful, and like it or not, a lot of men would find that emasculating.

She might have known Matty before, but it's not like they were always in each other's company in the past. She may well have thought of him as edgy but she maybe didn't have a clue about the controversial stuff (I didn't, I just thought he looks grubby). It's not like it made front page news before.

If Tree has been advising her then she's pretty bad at her job. If she hasn't then she's pretty bad at her job. If Taylor isn't listening to her then what is the point of her role?

I also wonder (and this isn't related at all really), but does the steer for all these versions of albums and songs come from Taylor or her record company?
There was always going to be interest in her breakup and scrutiny but she herself made it worse and blew it wide open when she went public with Matty and started the "I love you" "Never ever been happier" antics. I feel for her but I also feel what I think is a fair dosis of "you made your bed, girl."

As for all the album versions I have a feeling it's her need to have the best selling everything and remain in the Top 100 forever and all that driving the remixes, album versions, deluxe editions, etc.

Reactions: 22
There was always going to be interest in her breakup and scrutiny but she herself made it worse and blew it wide open when she went public with Matty and started the "I love you" "Never ever been happier" antics. I feel for her but I also feel what I think is a fair dosis of "you made your bed, girl."

As for all the album versions I have a feeling it's her need to have the best selling everything and remain in the Top 100 forever and all that driving the remixes, album versions, deluxe editions, etc.
Yeah. I'm not saying she hasn't made it a lot fecking worse. She definitely has. But my point stands as to wtf is Tree doing?? She's an adult, but it's Tree's job to help her not duck up. We knew for days there would be some public sign of romance at her show. What happened (the mouthing words) was just beyond bizarre. Who the hell thought that would be a good idea? Was it too late to not do it when Matty already had? I can't understand the thinking behind it at all.

The versions thing could well be Taylor's desire to break records, but I doubt it's going to pay off in future as people are getting fed up with it.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Total change of pace here but does anyone else hate the line in Hits Different, ‘Bet I could still melt your world/argumentative antithetical dream girl’ it’s so EW, I don’t know, cocky/presumptuous? I’m all for self confidence but basically insisting you could have them back so easily if you wanted because you’re their manic pixie dream girl is just…grim.

Reactions: 10
I…. Like that line. *hides* 😂

slightly related to this, what’s everyone’s controversial Taylor opinion?

Mine is that London Boy is a bop and deserves more respect.😝

• Angry
Reactions: 12
Yeah. I'm not saying she hasn't made it a lot fecking worse. She definitely has. But my point stands as to wtf is Tree doing?? She's an adult, but it's Tree's job to help her not duck up. We knew for days there would be some public sign of romance at her show. What happened (the mouthing words) was just beyond bizarre. Who the hell thought that would be a good idea? Was it too late to not do it when Matty already had? I can't understand the thinking behind it at all.

The versions thing could well be Taylor's desire to break records, but I doubt it's going to pay off in future as people are getting fed up with it.
Oh absolutely agree on the Tree point. But I get the impression that when Taylor gets something into her head, she steam rolls over everyone. Like including her mom (hello, John Mayer debacle). I think she thinks she knows best/knows her fans best.

Agreed too on the albums things. I'm all for having different and even collectible versions of the same album, as long as it's the same album. Then it's kind of your fault if you decide to buy 4 to build your clock or whatever. What pisses me off is the "this version has X song, but this other one has Y, and this other-othrr one has Z, and this other other one has X and A, but not Y and Z." So money grabby and she's already the second richest female musician. Give it up, Tay.
---
I think Evermore is better than Folklore *shrugs*.

Reactions: 18

Mine is that I like “Welcome to New York,” haha

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Total change of pace here but does anyone else hate the line in Hits Different, ‘Bet I could still melt your world/argumentative antithetical dream girl’ it’s so EW, I don’t know, cocky/presumptuous? I’m all for self confidence but basically insisting you could have them back so easily if you wanted because you’re their manic pixie dream girl is just…grim.
I actually don’t mind it, it reminds me of when you’re young and heartbroken in a club toilets and you’ve got 3 random girls you’ve never met hyping you up and you walk out feeling like the best thing since sliced bread because of these random girls you’ll never see again🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I don't know how controversial these takes are but I'm going to say them. 😂

I still can't get into 1989 and reputation as whole albums. There's some decent tracks on them but as whole albums... I don't get the hype. I have more skips than loves on both of them.

My favourite rep tracks are Gorgeous and Call It What You Want by a country mile which I think are both generally considered duds (?)

All Too Well five minute version is superior to the 10 minute version (but not by much).

I probably have more that I might add later. 😂

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I like it. I think it’s cute 🤣 but I have other lines that Give me the ick

- Midnights would be in my top 3 albums. If you deleted Vigilante tit it’s a solid album
- I’m not as fussed on the duets like I’m interested to hear them but I’m not as hyped as everyone else seems to be. The best duets are exile and the last time.
- debut is better than fearless

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.