Taylor Swift #45 Loves a Bad Boy (Not a Terrorist Though)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Taylor might feel like she gave Joe all her youth for free, but Joe probable feels like he gave her his future for nothing.

I don't even know the man but I feel so bad for him. Like imagine listening to TTPD and realizing that while you were going through depressive episodes, dealing with your career not taking off the way you'd hoped for, feeling pressure from everyone to marry your long time girlfriend (including not subtle hit songs written by said girlfriend), facing the sunk cost fallacy that comes with having devoted a lot of time to something that all of us are familiar with, SHE had been pining away for a man that looks like he shares DNA with an ashtray. And on top of that, you're finally out of that relationship but it's like you'll be in it forever because jerks who are probably cheering your ex mauling a big oaf on a football field in front of millions, cannot let you have a single date in peace.

Hope Taylor pays for HIS therapy, never mind mine haha.
dead at sharing DNA with an ashtray 🤣🤣🤣 💀

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Taylor might feel like she gave Joe all her youth for free, but Joe probable feels like he gave her his future for nothing.

I don't even know the man but I feel so bad for him. Like imagine listening to TTPD and realizing that while you were going through depressive episodes, dealing with your career not taking off the way you'd hoped for, feeling pressure from everyone to marry your long time girlfriend (including not subtle hit songs written by said girlfriend), facing the sunk cost fallacy that comes with having devoted a lot of time to something that all of us are familiar with, SHE had been pining away for a man that looks like he shares DNA with an ashtray. And on top of that, you're finally out of that relationship but it's like you'll be in it forever because jerks who are probably cheering your ex mauling a big oaf on a football field in front of millions, cannot let you have a single date in peace.

Hope Taylor pays for HIS therapy, never mind mine haha.
I found Joe rather dull and was surprised by how long it lasted with them but I feel dreadfully sorry for him too.
I quite like Bejewled but I find the line about buying his shoes brutal.
I do wonder if she resented not so much his lack of success but his possible lack of drive and ambition?

Reactions: 8
Except Bigger Than The Whole Sky but that gets me in my feels so much I’ve only listened to it maybe 3 times ever, because it’s actually toooo in my feels.
How I got back into Taylor was listening to Midnights on my way to and from EMDR birth trauma therapy. I really do not recommend BTTWS flooring you whilst on the motorway. 😭 It's just too much.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Have we talked about Fresh Out The Slammer?

Fresh out the slammer, I know who my first call will be to (is Joe and the relationship a prison?)

Another summer taking cover (its not exactly a secret that Joe avoided the limelight)

Lots of dark themes spoken about (winter, gray, blue) to get just one hour of sunshine.

The caged / locked up, locks, ceilings, handcuffed.

I know its all pretty obvious but its quite clearly a Joe / Matty mash up 🤣

Reactions: 13
On a totally different note, Deuxmoi had a story about how Joe had taken a date to a NYC restaurant - she listed a few, among them restaurants Taylor's gone to in her Pap Walk Era - and how apparently he was not recognized by the hostess, was fine being seated at a communal table, the people at the table did recognize him and started loudly talking about Taylor, the date was in tears, and they had to leave before even having spoken to the waiter.

He truly must rue the day when he decided to start a relationship with Taylor.
That is awful if true, poor Joe.

I know we’ve been saying all along ‘he just needs to find a nice off-the-grid girlfriend’ but this just proves that the Taylor discourse is going to follow him around for a few years at least. He’s better off just swearing off dating for a while and focusing on work, although that doesn’t seem fair when Taylor can broadcast her relationship all over the media without repercussions.

Reactions: 20

Fresh out the slammer, I know who my first call will be to (is Joe and the relationship a prison?)

Another summer taking cover (its not exactly a secret that Joe avoided the limelight)

Lots of dark themes spoken about (winter, gray, blue) to get just one hour of sunshine.

Made me think of Bonnie and Clyde 😂

And it’s also a bleeping BANGER

haha but yes, I love this song and the fact it’s about both of them, it really makes me sad when she refers to the Joe relationship as ‘I did my time’ though ☹

I like the breakdown at the end where the melody changes, and the ‘wearing imaginary rings’ just does something to my ears. It’s so pretty but sounds so sad at the same time.

Reactions: 10
And it’s also a bleeping BANGER

haha but yes, I love this song and the fact it’s about both of them, it really makes me sad when she refers to the Joe relationship as ‘I did my time’ though ☹

I like the breakdown at the end where the melody changes, and the ‘wearing imaginary rings’ just does something to my ears. It’s so pretty but sounds so sad at the same time.
I really like it too, its in my top 5.

I too find the 'I did my time' line sad. He really is painted as someone who also needs the asylum.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I really like it too, its in my top 5.

I too find the 'I did my time' line sad. He really is painted as someone who also needs the asylum.
I feel like it will have hurt him to hear that, if he’s listened.

If I relate it to my own similar experience though, I feel like she is saying: I tried long enough, I gave it enough of a shot.

It’s just sad for him that she’s using the prison metaphor.

On a happier note, fresh out the slammer is gonna make an excellent ig caption for recently single gals who wanna post thirst traps 😂 (almost sad I’m happily married and can’t use it without ppl thinking I’m getting a divorce)

• Haha
Reactions: 14

yes to all of this - you can be my jailer comes to mind from ready for it. also torn if one hour of sunshine is because of how short lived her relationship with matty was, or how little 'daylight' she saw when with joe.

Reactions: 6
Taylor singing I can do it with a broken heart on tour will Be bloody weird considering what it’s about.
See I don't fully get it when people say that. It would be different imo, if she was still in that period of her life, but that was clearly the after Matty era and now she is in her Travis era, I think it is fine.

Reactions: 9
yes to all of this - you can be my jailer comes to mind from ready for it. also torn if one hour of sunshine is because of how short lived her relationship with matty was, or how little 'daylight' she saw when with joe.
I think it’s the same when she says ‘for just one glimpse of his smile’ in that when Joe was depressed (as it seems he was for a lot of the end of the relationship), the good times were super short lived and yeah she didn’t get much ‘daylight’. I don’t relate the smile or sunshine to being Matty but that’s my interpretation.

It does make me feel uneasy in the whole ‘leaving someone bc they are depressed’ is a crappy thing to do but at the same time, you can’t stay unhappy with someone indefinitely, there’s only so much you can take before it would swallow you both. Equally if you’re not in love with them anymore, how long should you stay because you don’t want them to feel worse?

It’s a tricky situation, I feel for them both.

I do wonder also if she asked Joe if she could mention him having these kind of struggles? I hope so, but maybe that’s naive of me.

Reactions: 14
The amount that I love TTPD already has made me realise how un bothered by Midnights I actually was when it came out. It has some great songs but compared to the way I’ve instantly fallen in love with TTPD, I’ve realised I potentially just am not a midnights girly at all. It grew on me for sure, but it’s still down the bottom of my ranking.
YOYOK is a masterpiece, but yes I totally agree

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I think it’s the same when she says ‘for just one glimpse of his smile’ in that when Joe was depressed (as it seems he was for a lot of the end of the relationship), the good times were super short lived and yeah she didn’t get much ‘daylight’. I don’t relate the smile or sunshine to being Matty but that’s my interpretation.

It does make me feel uneasy in the whole ‘leaving someone bc they are depressed’ is a crappy thing to do but at the same time, you can’t stay unhappy with someone indefinitely, there’s only so much you can take before it would swallow you both. Equally if you’re not in love with them anymore, how long should you stay because you don’t want them to feel worse?

It’s a tricky situation, I feel for them both.

I do wonder also if she asked Joe if she could mention him having these kind of struggles? I hope so, but maybe that’s naive of me.
I think the sunshine was relating to Joe being in good form for 1 hour a day, I'm sure she's mentioned him as sunshine before.
The smile is Matty's there is a few mentions of his smile in her songs.

She's allowed to have her own reaction to his mental health struggles especially when it was impacting on her life some of the lyrics sound like it wasn't just that he wanted to stay inside her wanted her inside with him, that's unfair.
However it makes me uncomfortable that she talked about it, she has alluded to it in the past so maybe he was ok about it.

There is quite a number of songs where she mentions various men/situations are grey at the same time she alludes to deliberately picking safe men so I wonder if too much is being made about the lyrics being Joe's MH rather than the feelings that they sometimes trigger in her.

Reactions: 8
That is awful if true, poor Joe.

I know we’ve been saying all along ‘he just needs to find a nice off-the-grid girlfriend’ but this just proves that the Taylor discourse is going to follow him around for a few years at least. He’s better off just swearing off dating for a while and focusing on work, although that doesn’t seem fair when Taylor can broadcast her relationship all over the media without repercussions.
Agree. Any girlfriend he has is going to need to be pretty low key or not in the media world at ALL. Like go find someone who works in an office Joe 🤣

Imagine how harassed they’ll be if it’s someone in the media 😐

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.