Taylor Swift #45 Loves a Bad Boy (Not a Terrorist Though)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I do love a lot of the songs on Midnights but none of them got in a my feels right away like TTPD has.

Except Bigger Than The Whole Sky but that gets me in my feels so much I’ve only listened to it maybe 3 times ever, because it’s actually toooo in my feels.

It has a few too many songs that I like, but am not obsessed with eg Lavender Haze, Snow on the Beach, Midnight Rain, question?, Vigilante tit, sweet nothing. They are all just meh to me 🤷🏻‍♀️
I'm the same with Bigger than the whole sky it's heart breaking. I love Maroon it might be one of my top 5 TS songs.
I think it was Madeline from Evolution of a snake that said Midnights in the context of a TS album sounds like it has a velvet curtain drawn over the album.
In light of what we know now that makes a lot of sense why she was vague about the context of the songs hence the whole 'midnights of my life' yet only recently written line.

Reactions: 5
I was out shopping today and I had So High School stuck in my head but my brain kept singing you know how to ball, I know Grand Theft Auto and now the real lyrics sound wrong to me 😭

How the duck was post malone born in 1995?
*whispers* I was also born in 1995

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Except Bigger Than The Whole Sky but that gets me in my feels so much I’ve only listened to it maybe 3 times ever, because it’s actually toooo in my feels.
I love this song so much but it’s so sad, it makes me cry 😢

Obviously with hindsight now, surely this is about Matty?

IMG_1170.png

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 8

View attachment 2901155
I don’t think it’s about a relationship but that could be my own experiences leaking in.

TW it is exactly the experience of how baby loss feels word for word. ‘Did some bird flap its wings over in Asia, did some force take you cos I didn’t pray’

Also ‘so I’ll say things I don’t believe’, like how you say everything happens for a reason etc or people say that to you and you just don’t see how there could ever be a reason for such hurt.

But I would never speculate that happened to Taylor as it’s none of my business so I think the song can mean many things to different people based on your experiences with loss, so losing a relationship, or a loved one passing away, or what I’ve said.

• Heart
Reactions: 28

View attachment 2901155
I almost feel like this being about Matty takes away some of the meaning?? Like a lot of people relate to this for different reasons (miscarriage for example) and it being about Matty takes away from that?? I dunno, it's wine o'clock for me!

Reactions: 17
I don’t think it’s about a relationship but that could be my own experiences leaking in.

TW it is exactly the experience of how baby loss feels word for word. ‘Did some bird flap its wings over in Asia, did some force take you cos I didn’t pray’

Also ‘so I’ll say things I don’t believe’, like how you say everything happens for a reason etc or people say that to you and you just don’t see how there could ever be a reason for such hurt.

But I would never speculate that happened to Taylor as it’s none of my business so I think the song can mean many things to different people based on your experiences with loss, so losing a relationship, or a loved one passing away, or what I’ve said.
Yeah it can definitely mean different things to different people. So beautiful but so sad at the same time

Reactions: 5
I do love a lot of the songs on Midnights but none of them got in a my feels right away like TTPD has.
I feel this whole discourse is a perfect representation of how split her fandom has become after Evermore and Folklore in a way. A lot of people are now expecting everything/almost everything that she releases to be emotionally hitting and mature but she still has many fans who are there for the glitter pen songs

TTPD as a whole seems to be her trying to appeal to both - hence the two albums - but it just falls short imo

Reactions: 6
It might just be me but I get matching song energy from Down Bad to bigger than the whole sky. I feel like down bad could also be about that type of loss and just masked as a relationship - that’s just my interpretation anyway!

Reactions: 1
I feel this whole discourse is a perfect representation of how split her fandom has become after Evermore and Folklore in a way. A lot of people are now expecting everything/almost everything that she releases to be emotionally hitting and mature but she still has many fans who are there for the glitter pen songs

TTPD as a whole seems to be her trying to appeal to both - hence the two albums - but it just falls short imo
I get what you mean but I’ve always been a ~hit me in the feels~ girl and her early albums delivered on both.

Eg Fearless has Love Story but it also has White Horse and Fifteen and You’re Not Sorry

Speak Now has Speak Now and Better Than Revenge and Enchanted but it also has Last Kiss and Dear John and Innocent.

Red also delivers on both perfectly.

1989 was the first album where I initially only loved Clean. Then on Rep I only loved Delicate and NYD. All the other songs grew on me later.

Lover delivers both.

I just didn’t get much emotional connection in Midnights even compared with all her other albums, not just Folklore/Evermore.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
The beauty of Taylor's music is that there truly is something for everyone. And there always has been. There have always been bops and hard hitting songs in every single album, like @JLXRD exemplified above.

I think Midnights had that too but speaking from what I heard from friends who initially didn't like it, I think it was hard for some to get into it after the Folkevermore sound because Midnights went full synth pop, especially in the original 13 tracks before the 3 AM version, and also because there was a cognitive dissonance between the actual album and how Taylor had promoted it (now the 70s vibes might have an explanation but we didn't know at the time and it's still stupid to have an aesthetic be one thing and the album be another thing).

I don't think it's new for Taylor to have boppier, lighter songs and also emotional, gut punch songs in one same album, don't really see it as a split in the fandom sort of thing, just something she's always done. The bops have of course always been bigger (I mean she's still known by casual listeners as the Shake It Off girl) but I'd say it's actually a credit to her that she can write both a big pop anthem and a soft, sad piano song.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I’m the same with this song, I think I’ve listened to it 3 times
I lost a dear friend in tragic circumstances during the first Covid lockdown. They were young with their whole life ahead of them. This song is just too much for me as it’s exactly how I feel about them. It’s beautiful but I just can’t deal cause it floors me 😔

• Heart
Reactions: 16
On a totally different note, Deuxmoi had a story about how Joe had taken a date to a NYC restaurant - she listed a few, among them restaurants Taylor's gone to in her Pap Walk Era - and how apparently he was not recognized by the hostess, was fine being seated at a communal table, the people at the table did recognize him and started loudly talking about Taylor, the date was in tears, and they had to leave before even having spoken to the waiter.

He truly must rue the day when he decided to start a relationship with Taylor.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 27
The beauty of Taylor's music is that there truly is something for everyone. And there always has been. There have always been bops and hard hitting songs in every single album, like @JLXRD exemplified above.

I think Midnights had that too but speaking from what I heard from friends who initially didn't like it, I think it was hard for some to get into it after the Folkevermore sound because Midnights went full synth pop, especially in the original 13 tracks before the 3 AM version, and also because there was a cognitive dissonance between the actual album and how Taylor had promoted it (now the 70s vibes might have an explanation but we didn't know at the time and it's still stupid to have an aesthetic be one thing and the album be another thing).

I don't think it's new for Taylor to have boppier, lighter songs and also emotional, gut punch songs in one same album, don't really see it as a split in the fandom sort of thing, just something she's always done. The bops have of course always been bigger (I mean she's still known by casual listeners as the Shake It Off girl) but I'd say it's actually a credit to her that she can write both a big pop anthem and a soft, sad piano song.
Yesss you make such a good point which I think totally effected how I consumed midnights: the 13 sleepless nights promo made me feel I was getting 13 tracks that were going to hurt me a bit.

then it opened with Lavender Haze and I was like girllllll… what is this 🫠

The 3am tracks are better to me and I totally appreciate her skill to do both. I by no means think it’s a bad album, just not one I feel emotionally connected to the way I do with Red for example.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Yesss you make such a good point which I think totally effected how I consumed midnights: the 13 sleepless nights promo made me feel I was getting 13 tracks that were going to hurt me a bit.

then it opened with Lavender Haze and I was like girllllll… what is this 🫠

The 3am tracks are better to me and I totally appreciate her skill to do both. I by no means think it’s a bad album, just not one I feel emotionally connected to the way I do with Red for example.
Most people do prefer the 3AM songs and I totally understand why! They actually get to what might keep you up at night, in a bad way. The og 13 I think are more like yeah they might keep you up for a bit like giddy and stuff but not for long. Although! Maybe even things like Lavender Haze kept her up at night cause she was trying to convince herself to stay with Joe/ignore the siren call of the Unwashed.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Most people do prefer the 3AM songs and I totally understand why! They actually get to what might keep you up at night, in a bad way. The og 13 I think are more like yeah they might keep you up for a bit like giddy and stuff but not for long. Although! Maybe even things like Lavender Haze kept her up at night cause she was trying to convince herself to stay with Joe/ignore the siren call of the Unwashed.
The siren of the unwashed 💀

also that DM Joe thing is bleeping awful. Like what is wrong with these people, do they not have any manners or shame.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
On a totally different note, Deuxmoi had a story about how Joe had taken a date to a NYC restaurant - she listed a few, among them restaurants Taylor's gone to in her Pap Walk Era - and how apparently he was not recognized by the hostess, was fine being seated at a communal table, the people at the table did recognize him and started loudly talking about Taylor, the date was in tears, and they had to leave before even having spoken to the waiter.

He truly must rue the day when he decided to start a relationship with Taylor.
What nasty vile people.

Reactions: 13
Taylor might feel like she gave Joe all her youth for free, but Joe probable feels like he gave her his future for nothing.

I don't even know the man but I feel so bad for him. Like imagine listening to TTPD and realizing that while you were going through depressive episodes, dealing with your career not taking off the way you'd hoped for, feeling pressure from everyone to marry your long time girlfriend (including not subtle hit songs written by said girlfriend), facing the sunk cost fallacy that comes with having devoted a lot of time to something that all of us are familiar with, SHE had been pining away for a man that looks like he shares DNA with an ashtray. And on top of that, you're finally out of that relationship but it's like you'll be in it forever because jerks who are probably cheering your ex mauling a big oaf on a football field in front of millions, cannot let you have a single date in peace.

Hope Taylor pays for HIS therapy, never mind mine haha.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Could anyone point me in the direction of some nice eras tour sweatshirts/hoodies? I’m wanting to buy myself something as an incentive as I’m losing weight/as a memory for when I see the tour this summer. I will probably get something off the official website when they eventually come back on but want to see if there’s anything else people have seen that they would recommend. Thank you 💖

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.