Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Lilykins

VIP Member
I’ve listened to the album a bit more this week and I’m really loving Maroon, one of my top songs on midnights I would say now. You’re on your own kid has also grown on me massively, I like the atmosphere/sound it has behind the vocal track. Lavender Haze also gets stuck in my head so bad, but I don’t like how similar it sounds to songs on Lover as lover was just not my fave album.
Overall I’m really enjoying the album and love putting it on, but for me it’s missing something in its core that makes me LOVE it and sing my heart out to it.

Reactions: 10

kachoochoo

VIP Member
As far as fave lyrics go, I would love to say that the whole daughter in law segment and she's laughing up at us from hell is my favourite - anti-hero is very possibly my favourite song ever now

but I find myself being serious and thinking that there's whole chunks of would've could've should've that I love

and I think that "give me back my girlhood, it was mine first" and "I regret you all the time" sum up my own experience of being 19

• Heart

at-the-disco

Chatty Member
just a disclaimer: i am a huge taylor fan, have been for 15 years and have grown up with her music and she is extremely special to me. i have tattoos of her lyrics, buy every album, go to every tour etc
but i really am not feeling this album as much as i have with her others! i'm so disappointed and sad about it

nothing about this album is new or refreshing to me. but then nothing about it is classic taylor either. the lyrics seem forced/cringey/rambly , the story telling is not as captivating as previous albums. in fact i found myself a bit confused at some times by some of the lyrics

i remember the first time i sat down to listen to lover and i bursted into tears when i heard cruel summer because i just felt like 'this IS taylor swift' and i havent had that with any of the songs on the new album. lavender haze is the only one thats come close to a 10/10 song (IMO). the anti-hero lyrics are good but the 'it's me, hi, i'm the problem it's me' was just written to go viral on tiktok and doesnt really fit in with the song.

the karma/justice themes in her writing is getting a bit old and school-girly now.

all the songs sound very samey to each other, or similar to other songs in her discography. i'm not too keen on jack antonoff's production in this.

surprisingly, i think my favourite taylor album is lover. which is the most similar to midnights out of all her discography. but wheres the cruel summer? where's the death by a thousand cuts, miss americana, cornelia street and daylight on this album, none of the songs really stick out! i dont know if i'm conveying my point properly but the album just seems to have missed the mark for me.

and i'm sad about it :(

bellbells16

VIP Member
I’ve been a huge Taylor fan since 2008 but even I will say that her need to be the perpetual victim is so annoying. Also, she can dish it out but can’t take it. Even the whole thing with Scooter, she basically rallied her insane fans on Twitter to send him and his family death threats and at no point told them to chill. And even with Vigilante Shit, it’s so unnecessary. If someone wrote a song gleeful about her relationship breakdown she’d be screaming and crying about it on Twitter.

mendelsz

Can’t be doing with all these remixes. Whyyyyy what’s the point?! It reminds of the 90s when you’d buy a CS single and get 3 naff remixes on there that you’d never listen to.
To get a “stable hit”. I get being thirsty for a #1 when you’re a new artist trying to prove yourself, but Taylor is not at point of her career where she need to do that. I’d argue it does more bad than good since it opens her up to (fair) criticism in the sense of whether it is an organic success or not and her blocking other artists from the spotlight just for the sake of it.

Let’s be real, the great public couldn’t care less about how many weeks a song spent at #1, there are many memorable singles that were never even at the top 5 and no one even remembers that. Plus, I can see billboard changing the rules regarding to remixes over this (and other artists who abuse it) and that’d look really bad for Taylor.

Reactions: 9

ls240898

VIP Member
Find someone who holds you like Phoebe Bridgers holds Taylor:

View attachment 1697826

Also, I'm kind of surprised Phoebe doesn't have her own thread.
I love Phoebe so much and I’m so jealous of anyone who gets tickets to the day she is supporting, they’ll definitely do Nothing New. I like that Phoebe has continued to be vocal about her support and love for Taylor as she’s gotten bigger, unlike people like Olivia Rodrigo who are trying to distance themselves from her now

Lollypad

VIP Member
Got tickets to a Swiftageddon club night!

Am I too old to be here?!? 🙊
I’m going to my second in a couple of weeks 😂 everyone does seem to be under the age of 25 (I was not) but honestly it is the BEST vibe - you don’t even need to be drunk and everyone is having a great time. Screaming the 10 min all too well with 500 other people is just *chef’s kiss*

• Heart

Folkevermore

VIP Member
Not gonna lie, I have wondered about this a lot. I think BTTWS and Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve are linked, the use of those three words in BTTWS in particular made me really stop and listen. I also think it would make sense as to how that relationship still seems to be her biggest heartbreak mistake (I love ATW but Dear John is far sadder, imo). I also think it would have been easier to hide back then, her label wouldn’t have wanted the squeaky Disney princess clean image from that era. We’ll never know for certain and whilst I had thought it I hadn’t voiced it, especially on TikTok where it has the potential to cause utter chaos.
I think it’s a bit fucked up to sit and ponder if someone has had an abortion, let alone make a tiktok about it. I’m not sure what’s wrong with people

honkytonkcat

The 02 arena is shite, god forbid if she chose Wembley arena 🥲

I’d rather wait until summer 2024 for a stadium tour than have an entire European arena tour shoehorned into autumn/winter 2023

*ETA I’m also getting married in September 2023 so if the UK leg fell then, I guess I’m calling off my wedding

• Haha

Basketweaver

Oh my gosh I've grown to love sotb! Think its lyrics are so ethereal and delicate with my only complaint being that I can't hear lana

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
@at-the-disco I can completely understand all of these comments.

Ive been a TS fan since debut so a long time. I think this is so far removed from her best work. I dont hate it but it is samey and the fact we can all say what each song sounds like isnt necessarily a good thing.

I feel like (for me) Folklore and Evermore was a step towards a more mature sound and maybe because I am getting older I appreciated that? Seen a lot of hate online that this fundamentally is who Taylor is and if you dont like it youre not a real swiftie 🙄🙄

I think its automatically assumed if you have any criticism of the album you dont like it and for me its definitely not that.

Im a Jack Antonoff fan especially the early work with the two of them like Out Of The Woods but I would tend to agree with you slightly.

I have listened to it all weekend though for clarity its just not my favourite and I cant see more listens changing that for me but it will still be in my rotation.

Lover would be my least favourite album.

Folkevermore

VIP Member
I don’t think Taylor will stop making music until she dies 🤣 she lives and breathes music.

I could Definitely see her taking a step back in terms of touring, huge role outs etc. but she could always take a step back and have roll outs more like evermore did.

people can still have kids and get married and make music. Ed Sheeran never had an issue with it. Most women still work when they have kids

Polkadot123

VIP Member
Joe is definitely not conventionally hot but he can look gorgeous though (see what I did there?), particularly when modelling. But that's a thing with a lot of female models also. Almost odd looking normally but look great in modelly photos. He really really doesn't suit a beard.
He was hot in 'the last letter from your lover'. Like he's not ugly. He's deffo glown up over the years.
He could be am amazing shag (sorry for bringing the tone down)

• Haha

getawaywithit

VIP Member
Hello swifties. I really want to have a conversation about “Taylor’s Versions”, I don’t want to bash her in the slightest I just wanna talk more about it to someone to understand. (Also I really love her music but there’s bigger fans out there hence why I’m here).

So, from what I know, she’s re-recording her first 6 albums because she doesn’t own them - her old record company does. When artists get into the business they can either sign with a record company or try go independent, and going independent is quite a hard journey hence why she signed on to one.

Now she’s a multimillionaire she wants to own her own music. She can afford to re-record and release all the Taylor’s Versions. Buuuut, here’s where I think it’s semi problematic. Isn’t her recording her songs again just a big fuck you the thousands of artists who don’t and never will own their own songs? She knew what she was signing when she signed that contract and I feel like she’s using her influence to get out of it.

Not gonna reply to anyone who’s just sticking up for her because they’re a fan and showing no real reason to back this up. It’s a discussion, not a hate campaign
I don’t see it as a fuck you to other artists, but I think it’s interesting the narrative that has played out around it. Like, for example, people saying that “Scooter stole them from her”/“now she owns them again”, when in reality she never owned her masters so nothing was “stolen” and she got nothing back. All the albums she promoted before and begged people to buy, she never owned those master recordings. ALSO— the master recordings is one element of ownership. She owns publishing and whatnot because of her songwriting credits. It’s interesting that she’s gotten people to care so much about what is a pretty boring business element of music labels and recordings— it doesn’t impact fan listening and whatnot, but she is really good at marketing stories with heroes and villains.

As for the deal she originally signed, she used to talk about how she was super choosy over which record deal she would sign and was very aware of what she wanted and chose Scott and Big Machine because of what was offered. Her father also bought his way into the label from the start. Not many artists can do that lol. But it’s fair enough if now she wishes she had a stipulation about the masters… but I don’t think she was hoodwinked into it. If that makes sense. Like fair enough she wishes she had a way to buy them and she should, but it wasn’t like a trick.

ls240898

VIP Member
I’ve got to say I’m getting so annoyed with Taylor at the moment. Two things on my mind:

She built this whole “political” personal during reputation/lover after never speaking out her whole career. But she’s just completely dropped out now because it doesn’t deserve her image? Lots of people saying she doesn’t have to speak out, raise awareness etc, which of course no celebrity has to - except she literally wanted to make that part of her career. She spent the whole of Miss Americana building up to that Instagram post where she endorses a candidate in the midterms and now the midterms (i think?) have just happened she’s done a measly few Instagram stories. She needs to pick a lane and stay in it - you can’t build up your public persona to be this outspoken popstar then only a few years later hardly say anything on it.

The other thing is these remixes (not as serious lol), she’s so desperate to stay at the top of the Billboard charts by doing half-assed attempts at remixes rather than any real promo. Girl, you already had your record-breaking two weeks it’s JUST the charts. No one pays that much attention except stans. Particularly when she released the Bleachers remix on her website then put it on Spotify just a few hours later. Ugh!

ls240898

VIP Member
Going back to what others were saying about how she was an activist for a while and then stopped, I just want to give my personal experience.
I was so in to politics before brexit and while Jeremy Corbyn was leading the Labour Party but when he wasn’t voted in and people voted for brexit, I gave up. I still read up on things and make sure I stay informed but I just physically can’t let myself get that passionate because of how hard it hits me when I realise other people don’t feel the same. I’m the same age as Taylor so I can really sympathise with her. She’s not young but she’s still on a journey.
I had that same feeling too. I think the difference is you didn’t make an almost two hour documentary about becoming political and build it in to your celebrity persona

• Heart