Taylor Swift #38 The Tortured Clowns Department

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
they are but it was the “wanted” that got her because it wasn’t “all you want is sweet nothing” and “all you wanted was nothing” - she took it as an incredibly sad song instead as a cute one.
I love this interpretation, I definitely didn’t view it as this but that is actually so interesting 🧐 Love that perspective!

Reactions: 7
I love this interpretation, I definitely didn’t view it as this but that is actually so interesting 🧐 Love that perspective!
it’s interesting isn’t it. I hadn’t considered that either. It makes sense too because of the expression “ sweet duck all” too, so “all you ever wanted from me was sweet nothing” could mean he wanted absolutely nothing. It hurts now 😂

I took the whole denial thing differently…

Like not as in she was in denial when she wrote them, more that when she was in the denial phase of grieving just before they broke up but knowing it wasn’t going to work but holding on. listening to them would maybe make her think he is clearly the love of my life, we are meant to be, etc etc, I need to hold on

But she was actually in denial ☹

I’ve been dropping in occasionally to read you guys as ever excellent thoughts but it’s been busy and Taylor’s fake relationship and five stages of capitalism is something I haven’t had the patience for 😂
Five stages of capitalism ☠💀 I died dead 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 15
The line “We gather stones, never knowing what they'll mean / Some to throw, some to make a diamond ring”
Makes me connect a lot of her songs that mention pebbles or stones (which sweet nothings also has?) with wedding rings

Though I think there’s some idiom about gatherings stones in general???

Reactions: 5
they are but it was the “wanted” that got her because it wasn’t “all you want is sweet nothing” and “all you wanted from me was nothing” - she took it as an incredibly sad song instead as a cute one.
Got it! Love the fresh interpretation! And how Taylor's songs lend themselves so well for that. Everyone can find their own nuance in them

I really don’t think Taylor is rewriting history. I think she is looking back on her life through a different lens.
We all do that surely. A love song may well be a love song at the time but when the feelings change, you view it a different way. One of the things I love about her music is the fact that you can view it in so many different ways, depending on your mood.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I'm sorry but I Forgot That You Existed as an "acceptance" song? That tit is so petty. She's lying to herself 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 14
BIB - literally all I can imagine Taylor and travis saying to each other

Gah I messed up my bold text
i can’t remember who it was but someone on here said that they imagined all their conversations would be in the region of ‘you’re so rich/fit/strong/cute’ ‘so are you’ ‘sooooo…..wanna bang?’ And it’s all I can think of now when people talk about their, well, talks 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I think a lot of the songs are just on random lists lowkey - especially the denial one

Labyrinth is another one I don't really get because I always interpreted it as being re-assured during a rocky relationship and falling back in love with that person, rather than having gone through a break up and finding new love - but ig you have to involve Travis into the narrative somehow

Anyway, feel like this is what I mean with her and her personal life. These sorts of things become the "canon" interpretation because it comes from the person who has wrote the song and it's a bit of a shame imo

Reactions: 1
I've always felt really odd and uncomfortable about this song and couldn't place why, and I think this might be it.

• Sad
Sorry guys hectic day just catching up, I’m not having Lover as anything other than a love you hopeful song she wrote for people to dance to at weddings etc, as she wanted to go one better than Ed S and his “thinking out loud” wedding royalties!!! She can change the narrative to suit her now all she likes but nope not having that in the denial section Blondie!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I always saw Sweet Nothing as a cute song, because of the "outside they're pushing shoving" before the "You're in the kitchen humming, All that you ever wanted from me was sweet nothing".

I interpreted it as people are always wanting more from her, but he just accepted her and she could be herself, and can admit to him that she's "too soft for all of it".

Eta: I think without some of the other lines in the song, the "All that you ever wanted from me was sweet nothing" could be a negative thing, but with the rest of the song it kinda makes it a positive. Just my interpretation anyway - it's interesting how it can mean different things to different people!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I always saw Sweet Nothing as a cute song, because of the "outside they're pushing shoving" before the "You're in the kitchen humming, All that you ever wanted from me was sweet nothing".

I interpreted it as people are always wanting more from her, but he just accepted her and she could be herself, and can admit to him that she's "too soft for all of it".
Yes this was what I thought too, ironically it’s probably one of my least listened to songs as I don’t really like it 😂 🙊 but a very sweet sentiment.

Definitely interesting to hear different interpretations, love how people can hear different stories.

Reactions: 6

Eta: I think without some of the other lines in the song, the "All that you ever wanted from me was sweet nothing" could be a negative thing, but with the rest of the song it kinda makes it a positive. Just my interpretation anyway - it's interesting how it can mean different things to different people!
Me too! This is my read 100%. It’s a beautiful song. And where are all the fans who believed Sweet Nothing was about Taylor’s mom, hey? Where did they all slope off to now it’s a ‘denial’ track 😖 I’m just over being mad without a way to monetise it, don’t mind me….

I still like the idea of it being about Andrea, it’s so cute when you listen to it with that in mind🥹

It’s my husbands favourite midnights song but I wasn’t really a fan until I looked at it from the mum pov, just doesn’t work for me as a romance song

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.