Taylor Swift #38 The Tortured Clowns Department

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t read it as red flags about Joe as a person but red flags about their relationship and differences that were irreconcilable but she ignored because she loved him so much.
Maybe she won’t 🤷🏻‍♀️. Maybe she’ll admit their relationship should have ended a lot sooner than it did and it isn’t anyone’s fault in particular, these things happen. There are a lot of insecure, unstable relationship lyrics from Lover onwards.
I really hope this is the case and its put into songs they just werent compatible rather than the other option.

Thank you both from removing the red rag from my eyeline 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
It's got to be "body"... But I will be singing "buddy" from now on. It's like the Kids Bop version 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 12
The previous clips posted are cut off because they’re the preview clips, this link has the full things:

Reactions: 5
I wouldn’t say thing is that tea worthy because some of these songs were already theorised being about certain themes/issues

A lot of people saw paper rings (and by extension lover) as her wanting to get married and Joe not wanting to get married. Then that got backed up by Lavender Haze

Idk I just don’t find this that impressive in general and honestly these probably wouldn’t be the songs I’d be listening to in certain phases of going through a breakup anyway 😅

Reactions: 3
I don't think any of it is that deep TBH, it's just to get tongues wagging as promo (although is the average consumer going to care about these? I doubt it) and as a little something for us fans. I would guess there really is no single coming now (but as always I am ready to be proven wrong).

The denial playlist is just kind of funny to me. How on earth is Sweet Nothing to be interpreted as anything but a cute affection song (either romantic or family/platonic), unless I'm missing something. Lover is straight forward except for that one line. The apparent revision of her most uncomplicated songs makes me roll my eyes, in an affectionate sort of way.

Reactions: 10
The apparent revision of her most uncomplicated songs makes me roll my eyes, in an affectionate sort of way.
I find it more annoying because there’s some songs that haven’t yet been tainted by her relationships for me and now she’s gone and done this

I saw someone suggest that she could have used this as a way to show off the songs and sounds that may have inspired the album and I found that way more interesting than a playlist of songs we have all listened to a million times 🤷🏼‍♀️
Give a taste of the sound of the album without actually releasing a single and that

Reactions: 17
I find it more annoying because there’s some songs that haven’t yet been tainted by her relationships for me and now she’s gone and done this

I saw someone suggest that she could have used this as a way to show off the songs and sounds that may have inspired the album and I found that way more interesting than a playlist of songs we have all listened to a million times 🤷🏼‍♀️
Give a taste of the sound of the album without actually releasing a single and that
Totally understand you, like I said I’m a believer of death of the author but Taylor makes it very difficult sometimes. But it is a massive part of her brand/appeal that she’s diaristic for better or worse.

Reactions: 7
Stages of grief is for person who is going to to die, and trying to help them get to terms with it not for the people left behind 😩. I’d expect Ms Thesaurus to know that but it is an interesting concept and definitely the album we assumed was coming.

Hang in there Joe. It’s going to get so much worse before it gets better.
The stages of grief have been adapted and used for other life events, to be fair.

Im not giving the playlists too much thought to be fair, but the placing of songs did sting a little 💔

house to myself tonight so gonna watch the tour and panic about what to wear instead. 😂

• Haha
Oh. I hadn't understood (and hadn't had a chance to read the posts since I went into a meeting) that these were playlists of solely her own songs rearranged into the stages of grief/TTPD themed playlists.

I thought we'd get like some of her own songs but also songs curated from other artists into those themes.

This makes it significantly less exciting. I'm not a fan of how she constantly tries to rewrite her own history with these songs, like trying to make Karma about Travis, and now she's trying to turn actual ,literal love songs into denial songs?! Why?

Blondie can try and do as many pap walks as she wants, hang off Travis's neck like a monkey on a banana tree, but as long as she keeps doing stuff like this I'll never believe she's over Joe. Why else would you try and rewrite the meaning of songs?

Even if we assume she had started to see the writing on the wall as early as 2018 when she was writing Lover (cause it came out in August 2019 but Me! Was out in April so she clearly had finished it way before that and we know she plans two years out)... That's still a love song.

Obviously it's her music and she is the billionaire and I'm just the person shitting bricks because my workplace is a sexist dumpster fire but I really wish she wouldn't do this to her own music, and her own fans.

ETA: I realize this is massive. I'd give you all a high five for reading and a snack if I could.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
I find it really disappointing that Taylor is rewriting the history of songs she wrote, that are meaningful to her and others, just for album promotion and social media fodder.

Maybe it’s just meant to be lighthearted but I know that a certain, very vocal sector of the Swifties will take it seriously and as more reasons to hate on Joe and indulge Taylor. It’s childish, and as a long time fan it makes me think of less of her. I’m not the biggest fan of Lover as an album, but girl what are you doing turning the whole damn thing into misery gossip fodder. Is it because she didn’t get her Grammy?
---
ETA: I realize this is massive. I'd give you all a high five for reading and a snack if I could.
B! I’ve been away awhile but we are still connected by the brain, we just posted more or less the same thing 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Oh. I hadn't understood (and hadn't had a chance to read the posts since I went into a meeting) that these were playlists of solely her own songs rearranged into the stages of grief/TTPD themed playlists.

I thought we'd get like some of her own songs but also songs curated from other artists into those themes.

This makes it significantly less exciting. I'm not a fan of how she constantly tries to rewrite her own history with these songs, like trying to make Karma about Travis, and now she's trying to turn actual ,literal love songs into denial songs?! Why?

Blondie can try and do as many pap walks as she wants, hang off Travis's neck like a monkey on a banana tree, but as long as she keeps doing stuff like this I'll never believe she's over Joe. Why else would you try and rewrite the meaning of songs?

Even if we assume she had started to see the writing on the wall as early as 2018 when she was writing Lover (cause it came out in August 2019 but Me! Was out in April so she clearly had finished it way before that and we know she plans two years out)... That's still a love song.

Obviously it's her music and she is the billionaire and I'm just the person shitting bricks because my workplace is a sexist dumpster fire but I really wish she wouldn't do this to her own music, and her own fans.

Nah I do agree with a lot of what you say. Even if in her own mind she doesn’t associate the same meaning any more with certain songs, let them still exist as what they were when she wrote them. Even if it turned out to be a painful relationship or stuff went down, well ok, but don’t turn round and go “oh I didn’t mean this one”.

Reactions: 9
I don't think any of it is that deep TBH, it's just to get tongues wagging as promo (although is the average consumer going to care about these? I doubt it) and as a little something for us fans. I would guess there really is no single coming now (but as always I am ready to be proven wrong).

The denial playlist is just kind of funny to me. How on earth is Sweet Nothing to be interpreted as anything but a cute affection song (either romantic or family/platonic), unless I'm missing something. Lover is straight forward except for that one line. The apparent revision of her most uncomplicated songs makes me roll my eyes, in an affectionate sort of way.
I get you. My friend heard Sweet Nothing because I told her to listen to it and she interpreted it as “it’s past tense. He wanted nothing. He wanted absolutely nothing from that relationship at all.” and she knows no theories about their relationship or even who Joe is. It made me rethink the song after that.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
I find it really disappointing that Taylor is rewriting the history of songs she wrote, that are meaningful to her and others, just for album promotion and social media fodder.

Maybe it’s just meant to be lighthearted but I know that a certain, very vocal sector of the Swifties will take it seriously and as more reasons to hate on Joe and indulge Taylor. It’s childish, and as a long time fan it makes me think of less of her. I’m not the biggest fan of Lover as an album, but girl what are you doing turning the whole damn thing into misery gossip fodder. Is it because she didn’t get her Grammy?
---

B! I’ve been away awhile but we are still connected by the brain, we just posted more or less the same thing 😂
SYTL! Glad to see you back and always happy to have a little Brain Trust with you 😁
---
I get you. My friend heard Sweet Nothing because I told her to listen to it and she interpreted it as “it’s past tense. He wanted nothing. He wanted absolutely nothing from that relationship at all.” and she knows no theories about their relationship or even who Joe is. It made me rethink the song after that.
What?! But .. but... sweet nothings are like well known to be cutesy things lovers share, right?

It's art of course so all interpretations are valid but I'm always surprised to hear people say Sweet Nothing is platonic/about her mom because to me the term sweet nothing has a distinctly romantic connotation. Like when you're 16 and spend an hour with your boyfriend on the phone saying stuff like "omg you're so cute" "no you're so cute" 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 8
SYTL! Glad to see you back and always happy to have a little Brain Trust with you 😁
I’ve been dropping in occasionally to read you guys as ever excellent thoughts but it’s been busy and Taylor’s fake relationship and five stages of capitalism is something I haven’t had the patience for 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
---

What?! But .. but... sweet nothings are like well known to be cutesy things lovers share, right?

It's art of course so all interpretations are valid but I'm always surprised to hear people say Sweet Nothing is platonic/about her mom because to me the term sweet nothing has a distinctly romantic connotation. Like when you're 16 and spend an hour with your boyfriend on the phone saying stuff like "omg you're so cute" "no you're so cute" 🤣
BIB - literally all I can imagine Taylor and travis saying to each other

Gah I messed up my bold text

• Haha
Reactions: 6
---

they are but it was the “wanted” that got her because it wasn’t “all you want is sweet nothing” and “all you wanted from me was nothing” - she took it as an incredibly sad song instead as a cute one.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.