Taylor Swift #2 Look What You Made Her Do (Taylor’s Version)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do you prefer folklore or evermore? why?
At the minute I'd have to say folklore. I loved it when it came out but it's kind of more poignant for me now. I find myself listening to it more and more now as I'm helping to plan the funeral of one of my grandparents - so it's an album I can just put on and listen to when I need a minute to myself. evermore I do like - but it's taking me more time to like it in comparison to folklore.

Reactions: 4
Folklore for sure, I do enjoy evermore, but it doesn't reach the heights of folklore. It hasn't had the staying power for me, I've listened to folklore so many times since it was released and it's still wonderful. I do enjoy evermore, but I've not found myself going back to it as much as folklore. Every song is wonderful on folklore and the more I listen the more I enjoy them.

My favourites on folklore are August (my favourite Taylor song ever I think) mirrorball, seven, Betty and invisible string. My favourites from evermore are willow, cowboy like me and marjorie.

I didn't really like Lover when it was first released compared to Taylor's previous work, but since folklore was released I've listened to it more and found myself appreciating it more and more. It still isn't as consistent as a lot of her other work, but the high points are beautiful. Lover, daylight, afterglow and Cornelia street are really some of her best songs I think.

Reactions: 3
folklore, 100%. As soon as I heard it, it became an instant favourite. I listened to nothing else for weeks, memorised every little detail, pored over the lyrics and made up my own little theories for every song. I grew up in Ireland and folklore is such a huge part of our history, so the songs and the ideas she had created with this album made me feel nostalgic for my childhood and incredibly homesick. It’s definitely one of my favourite albums of all time now. Songs like august, mirrorball and the last great american dynasty took me to different places I’d never been before and she really did create a world to escape to when things were dark during 2020. Now the days are getting longer again, it’s become my sunny weather album.

I liked evermore, but I just didn’t click with it like I did folklore. It felt a little like she got carried away with the rave reviews folklore got and tried so hard to emulate that again, but the rose tinted glasses along with the short time period between releases meant her quality control wasn’t as strong. It felt like she was trying to make “darker” folklore and it just didn’t work for me. It was too rooted in reality to capture the whimsical nature that made folklore special. I still like it though.

I liked evermore, but I just didn’t click with it like I did folklore. It felt a little like she got carried away with the rave reviews folklore got and tried so hard to emulate that again, but the rose tinted glasses along with the short time period between releases meant her quality control wasn’t as strong. It felt like she was trying to make “darker” folklore and it just didn’t work for me. It was too rooted in reality to capture the whimsical nature that made folklore special. I still like it though.
100% agree with this. I like Champagne Problems, Coney Island, Willow, Gold Rush and that's about it. I need to listen to the rest a bit more and see if it grows on me.

Folklore was perfection for me - was a very tough act to follow!

Reactions: 1
I wonder if liking folklore or evermore more correlates to whether you prefer spring/summer or autumn/winter?
I definitely prefer the warmer months and I am a folklore stan!

I wonder if liking folklore or evermore more correlates to whether you prefer spring/summer or autumn/winter?
I definitely prefer the warmer months and I am a folklore stan!
for me it doesn’t- I prefer folklore but I definitely prefer autumn/winter. But I do like how both albums have that seasonal aspect to them.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post my favourites from both.

folklore: exile, betty, this is me trying, august, my tears ricochet

evermore: champagne problems, willow, no body no crime, tolerate it, dorothea

I prefer Evermore right now... maybe cause Folklore reminds me of the depth of the pandemic, haha.

Folklore favs: the last great american dynasty, August, mirrorball, invisible string, peace. I used to like This Is Me Trying A LOT but now all the reverb annoys me.

Evermore favs: tis the damn season, champagne problems, gold rush, Dorothea, coney island, ivy, cowboy like me, long story short... basically all of them.

I'm probably 50/50 on the 2 albums. I think some of the lyrics on evermore are incredible, particularly Tolerate it.

"I made you my temple, my mural, my sky
Now I'm begging for footnotes in the story of your life
Drawing hearts in the byline
Always taking up too much space or time"

The whole song blows my mind.
Faves on evermore are TI, coney island, champagne problems, ivy, Marjorie, cowboy like me, gold rush, evermore, happiness.

August is actually one of my least favourites on folklore. 😮 I'm so controversial. Much prefer Illicit Affairs to it.

Aside from IA, my faves are my tears ricochet, cardigan, exile, American dynasty, hoax, this is me trying and mirrorball.

I don't really have a favourite album, but I least prefer the first 3. Yes, even Fearless!

The thing about Taylor is though, that there's little drops of genius everywhere. And she never gets complacent. She's not perfect, by any means, but she's a very decent person (most of the time) and a remarkable talent.

I'm probably 50/50 on the 2 albums. I think some of the lyrics on evermore are incredible, particularly Tolerate it.

"I made you my temple, my mural, my sky
Now I'm begging for footnotes in the story of your life
Drawing hearts in the byline
Always taking up too much space or time"

The whole song blows my mind.
Faves on evermore are TI, coney island, champagne problems, ivy, Marjorie, cowboy like me, gold rush, evermore, happiness.

August is actually one of my least favourites on folklore. 😮 I'm so controversial. Much prefer Illicit Affairs to it.

Aside from IA, my faves are my tears ricochet, cardigan, exile, American dynasty, hoax, this is me trying and mirrorball.

I don't really have a favourite album, but I least prefer the first 3. Yes, even Fearless!

The thing about Taylor is though, that there's little drops of genius everywhere. And she never gets complacent. She's not perfect, by any means, but she's a very decent person (most of the time) and a remarkable talent.
I think she’s an incredibly lyricist and she’s got an amazing way of describing a feeling without outright saying what that feeling is. The ability to precisely describe a situation that many people may go through is incredibly and feels that more personable.

I loved Speak Now when it came out and then I liked each album more when it came out until Lover came out and it took me a while but I do like it now. I find it difficult to pick a favourite album- and my favourites list is forever changing.

I don’t play Lover as much as I would do Folklore but I play it 100 more than I do Reputation. You know that’s the album she hit a rough time emotionally. It’s just bad.

Reactions: 2
I preferred folklore initially because I fell in love with it straight away, but evermore has grown on me. I’m hoping it makes sense when I says evermore is folklore grown up?? Folklore makes me feel younger when I loved summer and the sun and sitting on the grass, but evermore hits me on an adulting level and makes me feel cosy. (I suppose that’s the seasonal component). I love both now and listen to an album depending on my mood, but I think folklore takes the edge as the OG album.

Reactions: 6
I love them both so much but Evermore edges it for me! (I know I’m in the minority there haha) I generally like sadder music and I feel like Evermore references a lot of her life and older works and I love call backs! I recently re-listened to her discography so I could decide which was my fave.

1. evermore
2. Speak Now
3. folklore
4. Reputation
5. Red
6. Lover
7. 1989
8. Fearless
9. Taylor Swift

Reactions: 4
I'm 50/50 on Folklore and Evermore, my ultimate merger would be:

1. My Tears Ricochet
2. Mirrorball
3. August
4. This is Me Trying
5. Betty
6. Peace
7. Hoax
8. Champagne Problems
9. Gold Rush
10. Tis the Damn Season
11. Tolerate It
12. Coney Island
13. Marjorie

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I absolutely adore Beyoncé and I love that she sent Taylor flowers 🥺 (per Taylor’s Instagram stories). Wonder how Kanye feels about their friendship lol

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I absolutely adore Beyoncé and I love that she sent Taylor flowers 🥺 (per Taylor’s Instagram stories). Wonder how Kanye feels about their friendship lol
Love Beyoncé. She was so kind to Taylor after Kanye was an asshole to her.

Reactions: 5
I don’t play Lover as much as I would do Folklore but I play it 100 more than I do Reputation. You know that’s the album she hit a rough time emotionally. It’s just bad.
It's not bad. Genuinely, I love rep and the tour was jawdroppingly good.

She hit a rough time, yes, but she found happiness in that time too. It's essentially a love album. With spikes.

Reactions: 6

She hit a rough time, yes, but she found happiness in that time too. It's essentially a love album. With spikes.
In terms of Taylor's standards for songs, it is not amazing 😬. Way too many skips for me. The tour was good though and I am glad I got to go.

Reactions: 2

Rep has grown on me, after folklore I became a full on Swiftie so gave it another go. I much prefer it to Lover.

The tour was FIERCE!! I think I’ve said this on the last thread, but honestly that tour elevated reputation for me. I’d rather listen to reputation over lover any day.

I go back and forth between folklore and evermore. What I will say for certain is that champagne problems is some of the best writing I’ve ever seen Taylor do - spot on perfection,I could listen to that non stop. I also think tolerate it just nails a broken down marriage/long term relationship spot on too.

I preferred folklore initially because I fell in love with it straight away, but evermore has grown on me. I’m hoping it makes sense when I says evermore is folklore grown up?? Folklore makes me feel younger when I loved summer and the sun and sitting on the grass, but evermore hits me on an adulting level and makes me feel cosy. (I suppose that’s the seasonal component). I love both now and listen to an album depending on my mood, but I think folklore takes the edge as the OG album.
Yes 100% know exactly what you mean about evermore being grown up - it’s almost like Taylor and the characters from folklore have all grown up and they are looking back on their childhood/teen years from the vantage point of adulthood.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.