Support for anyone that needs to vent

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I turned my phone’s do not disturb function on while I wanted to watch something in peace and loved it so much I didn’t switch it off. At first I felt guilty but quickly noticed an uptick in my mood. It’s here to stay 💜
Thank you ❤ I've just put mine on and will reply back to texts when I feel I want to. Just sick and tired of feeling so guilty and bad about wanting peace and alone time!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
If it was me and one of my closest friends I would probably say something, although be prepared for her to be defensive and ask why you went looking for the details of the event and try and turn it back on you etc.

Is there a chance that this event she is going to has been advertised for a while and the tickets have only just been released?
The op could say she fancied going there herself if she is questioned.

Also sorry if this is the wrong place to post but my workplace is so toxic that when I brought up how a portion of the work is divided, instead of having a mature conversation in the space of 5 minutes when asking the simple question of how it is divided I was met with threats of that that they would now request an unnecessary change higher up in the workplace to make everyone (including myself) suffer. Surely that can't be right :cry:

• Sad
Reactions: 3
So I hate arranging stuff especially for my birthday because I really don’t like people feeling obligated to come BUT what’s pissed me off so much is I decided maybe this year I’d sort something for a few of us - organised getting tickets, gave everyone plenty of warning and nudges about it. Now 1 week before the event one of my (what I considered closest) friends has “realised” they already had something else booked that night. So because I’m a bit of a psychopath I checked out the event on Facebook and can see tickets for it only went on sale last week! So there’s absolutely no way she had these tickets before she agreed to come to my thing. Do I say anything? I hate to get snarky with people but I feel like this is a proper dick move considering the event was for my birthday and she’d already agreed to come? I’m justified being angry aren’t I? This is why I never bleeping bother people are so predictable
You're absolutely justified being angry that is so hurtful! I don't know if it's worth mentioning it. Just remember going forward that she's not the friend you thought she was and drift away from her. Im so sorry she did that to you ❤

So I hate arranging stuff especially for my birthday because I really don’t like people feeling obligated to come BUT what’s pissed me off so much is I decided maybe this year I’d sort something for a few of us - organised getting tickets, gave everyone plenty of warning and nudges about it. Now 1 week before the event one of my (what I considered closest) friends has “realised” they already had something else booked that night. So because I’m a bit of a psychopath I checked out the event on Facebook and can see tickets for it only went on sale last week! So there’s absolutely no way she had these tickets before she agreed to come to my thing. Do I say anything? I hate to get snarky with people but I feel like this is a proper dick move considering the event was for my birthday and she’d already agreed to come? I’m justified being angry aren’t I? This is why I never bleeping bother people are so predictable
If she’s really a close friend, it should be easy to just ask what she’s playing at. But the fact that she’s done this, proves that she’s actually not really that close a friend. And the fact that you’ve also checked up on her and didn’t really believe her story kinda says it all. Forget about her, she’s not really your mate.

Reactions: 5
More than justified and that isn't the behaviour of a close friend. As others have said, it's really your call on whether you can get over this and continue to be friends, or slowly fade them out.

I just feel really down lately. Like I keep getting overwhelming feelings of sadness and I don’t know why, like I’ll be fine and then next min it completely takes over me and I feel sad and sick. I have had a lot go on over this past year and things in my relationship are not great so it could be that but when I feel down it feels like it takes over my whole body. Does anybody know what I mean 😅
I think it's a tough time at the moment. The media is full of bad news stories, if it isn't COVID, then it's Brexit, gas prices, political corruption, or food shortages. It feels like a constant barrage of bad news and it's hard to deal with it all. Mix that in with emotional relationships and it's no wonder why you are feeling this way.
The only thing I've tried to do is to unplug myself from the news as much as I can, try to minimise costs where possible, shop locally with less expectation of what I can get, and just enjoy the smaller things in life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
@didn't want to join

Thank you so much for your kind and very insightful post! I could have written all of this myself. It's as though you read my mind. Every thought that crosses my mind was highlighted and well-explained in your post.

I worked in not so healthy work environments in the past, but this one certainly ranks number 1 on the list. Work is work and can be a bit stressful at times, but it should never feel like you're held "hostage". I feel like I am held hostage at the moment with impossible deadlines, no recognition and more and more work piling on me. I worked in intense environments with highly demanding clients and managers, but it always felt bearable because people were actually nice and there was some kind of recognition and even paid overtime. The situation here is so critical that I have to do unpaid overtime every evening + weekends and sacrifice time I could have invested in my physical health, hobbies and overall well-being. You reach a point where you're so tired that you don't even have the energy to eat, let alone update a CV and look for a new job. You just want to zone out and no think of anything because work exhausts all your mental and physical energy. I cannot even relax on weekends because I start panicking on Saturday morning as to the amount of work I have for the next week. Even your personal time is no longer your personal time, it becomes theirs because your mind is too caught up.

As you rightfully highlighted, it also gets to a point where you wonder if the situation would be any better elsewhere. It's a negative cycle because you start looking at everything through a negative lens because of the exhaustion, toxicity and dysfunction surrounding you. You get into this rut where you feel hopeless and don't see a way out. In every company, you will have some dysfunctional aspects, but it depends on various other factors that balance the negative aspects.

I'm not saying work should necessarily be fun, but it should not feel like hell on earth or some kind of room with 4 walls you can't escape from. My personality has changed entirely in the last couple of months because of the stress I've been experiencing at work to the point where I can't enjoy anything anymore and certainly cannot switch off. I used to love running, hanging out at the beach, going to museums, painting, etc... I've now given up on all this and basically have no life outside of work.

The issue with these companies is the more you deliver because you care the more work they dump on you because they think you can handle the pressure. I never signed up to work every day until 8/9pm + weekends 9 months out of the year, especially considering any overtime is free.

I had a chat with my manager on Friday to have a task delegated to someone else to alleviate the burden this week, they agreed. Then today, they completely forgot about it and instead, asked me to set up all accesses for a new joiner which took me two hours and it's their job as a manager. Clearly, no matter how much you try to communicate that the amount of work is not manageable, they simply do not care.

I have tried sending my CV to recruitment agencies, but it is quite slow at the moment. I am hoping this will eventually start progressing positively, so that I can leave this nightmare behind me. Nightmare is an understatement at this point.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.