Sunbeamsjess #3 Too busy to come up with a thread name

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Someone who has shared £800+ of sunglasses needs £3 to support her little family.

God I’m so disappointed, she was my favourite creator years ago. We were doing our masters at the same time, but the further I got into my graduate job and the real world and the further she got into her laziness of 1 video a month, the more I saw problems with her, but this takes the biscuit.

Reactions: 27
Not to diminish anyone's position here (I'm still living with my parents at 31 because of the insanely high COL in the Bay Area) but it's funny how little she's making off Patreon, relative to her spending, even if it seems like a lot for us. Like that's less per month of effort than she sometimes spends on a sweater. I don't think she's going to make enough money off of this for it to be worth it to her super wealthy self to actually do it for the income.

Reactions: 13
I also checked out her Patreon and Discord server yesterday because Patreon won't charge you if you cancel before the 1st of August.

I agree with everything that has been said. The perks she provides are ridiculous. The only possibly interesting thing is the bookclub meeting on Zoom but I think there are going to be too many people. It won't be the kind of intimate discussion she's making it out to be. And definitely not worth the 12 euros it would cost me with VAT.

I was surprised to see her so active on the discussion threads but then again it is probably the only thing on her to do list for these first few days. It's very difficult to believe she genuinely wants to chat with her viewers. I've only seen her reply to comments years ago and even then it was the usual "check the description box".

Reactions: 5
Not to diminish anyone's position here (I'm still living with my parents at 31 because of the insanely high COL in the Bay Area) but it's funny how little she's making off Patreon, relative to her spending, even if it seems like a lot for us. Like that's less per month of effort than she sometimes spends on a sweater. I don't think she's going to make enough money off of this for it to be worth it to her super wealthy self to actually do it for the income.
It’s still early days but yes overall I agree which is also part of what pisses me off because that is a life changing amount of money for a normal person but absolute pennies to her, so why take that money when she could support other creators instead. Boost book clubs of people who will never get the kind of brand deals and ish she gets. On the other hand, if she wanted to create a community that was more “dedicated” to do zooms and stuff she could have made her patreon universally $1/mo. But no she did neither of these.

Reactions: 10
It’s still early days but yes overall I agree which is also part of what pisses me off because that is a life changing amount of money for a normal person but absolute pennies to her, so why take that money when she could support other creators instead. Boost book clubs of people who will never get the kind of brand deals and ish she gets. On the other hand, if she wanted to create a community that was more “dedicated” to do zooms and stuff she could have made her patreon universally $1/mo. But no she did neither of these.
I totally agree, especially with how she's phrasing things like "support my little family" rather than just being like "I'm doing work so I want to get paid for it." Wanting to get paid for doing work is valid (if absolutely tasteless from someone THAT rich), but acting like a starving artist to prompt subscriptions is scummy.

Reactions: 15
I don't think she's going to make enough money off of this for it to be worth it to her super wealthy self to actually do it for the income.
I agree and made a similar comment earlier. A few thousand pound a month is pocket change for her.

I think people are finding the situation so jarring because she’s framed it as ‘her little way of keeping her new little family afloat’ and as if she IS doing it for the income. She’s conveying a message that she’s a hard working young mum creating content day and night for us subscribers and she’ll bank the money to buy clothes for her baby and pay the electric bill. There are unfortunately still a LOT of gullible people online who blindly follow creators and do things like buy ridiculously overpriced merch. 4 to 12 quid a month (or whatever she’s charging) might not seem much in the grand scheme of things but it’s extortionate considering what you’re paying for.

I will also say right now with absolute certainty that the current level of content on Patreon will not last, making the price even more stupid. The discord messages will become fewer and fewer, there will be a late post, a missed Zoom… I’m giving her a generous 4 months before she disappears.

Reactions: 14
A3DB59A6-540A-467C-B878-22AB0009BAC0.jpeg

“some reason” = I got these for free and it’s an affiliate link

• Haha
Reactions: 26
The fact that she removed the total patron pay display is just gross. it’s not a good look for her, hiding from the criticism if everyone saw how much of her audience’s hard earned money she’s putting in her pocket, or to furnish her million+ pound house that she’ll sell in a few years at hundreds of thousands of pounds in profit

Reactions: 16
I agree and made a similar comment earlier. A few thousand pound a month is pocket change for her.

I think people are finding the situation so jarring because she’s framed it as ‘her little way of keeping her new little family afloat’ and as if she IS doing it for the income. She’s conveying a message that she’s a hard working young mum creating content day and night for us subscribers and she’ll bank the money to buy clothes for her baby and pay the electric bill. There are unfortunately still a LOT of gullible people online who blindly follow creators and do things like buy ridiculously overpriced merch. 4 to 12 quid a month (or whatever she’s charging) might not seem much in the grand scheme of things but it’s extortionate considering what you’re paying for.

I will also say right now with absolute certainty that the current level of content on Patreon will not last, making the price even more stupid. The discord messages will become fewer and fewer, there will be a late post, a missed Zoom… I’m giving her a generous 4 months before she disappears.
I think she probably expects that this little "safe space" community will grow, without understanding how Patreon works. Without continuing to put in MORE effort on her actual channel to basically advertise her content to newcomers, nobody is going to just stumble across her Patreon and be like "Oh I should give the pretty white woman money to talk at me about books!" The people who've signed up so far are loyal followers and were all the *most* inclined to support her. Winning over any new support after this is going to be much harder.

Also this is totally unrelated and petty but while I think anyone can do whatever they want with their body, I dislike her lopsided nose piercings and desperately want her to get the other nostril pierced if she's going to insist on keeping both the other two hoops in lol.

Reactions: 3
I think she probably expects that this little "safe space" community will grow, without understanding how Patreon works. Without continuing to put in MORE effort on her actual channel to basically advertise her content to newcomers, nobody is going to just stumble across her Patreon and be like "Oh I should give the pretty white woman money to talk at me about books!" The people who've signed up so far are loyal followers and were all the *most* inclined to support her. Winning over any new support after this is going to be much harder.

Also this is totally unrelated and petty but while I think anyone can do whatever they want with their body, I dislike her lopsided nose piercings and desperately want her to get the other nostril pierced if she's going to insist on keeping both the other two hoops in lol.
I think it also legitimizes her feelings that reading is her job (which isn’t necessarily untrue and isn’t necessarily a problem), it gives her additional reason to do it (and more opportunities to complain about how busy she is and plug the patreon in her videos) and may help legitimize getting further things like her book column in the future. I get the feeling she is sort of wanting to transition into more “serious” seeming content, use her degrees and such, which is fair enough and not a bad idea but patreon is not the platform for it IMO.

I actually love the asymmetrical piercings 😂

I think it also legitimizes her feelings that reading is her job (which isn’t necessarily untrue and isn’t necessarily a problem), it gives her additional reason to do it (and more opportunities to complain about how busy she is and plug the patreon in her videos) and may help legitimize getting further things like her book column in the future. I get the feeling she is sort of wanting to transition into more “serious” seeming content, use her degrees and such, which is fair enough and not a bad idea but patreon is not the platform for it IMO.

I actually love the asymmetrical piercings 😂
I guess it's all personal preference 😂 I think a septum with a single nostril stud looks fine but the hoop only on one side looks odd to me.

I really think the primary reason is just to allow herself to continue not reading YT comments, although legitimizing reading as her job would definitely be another reason for her to do it. She's just so dang coddled in life. Reading for work isn't bad but she's been calling reading her "job" for years and her content is always pathetically late and sparse. Just like fashion was her "job" and yet she could barely post more fashion content than sponsored hauls. And definitely agreed that Patreon is not how you do that. At the very least she'd need to be an active (in the comments, too) booktuber, which she doesn't seem able to do consistently.

Reactions: 4
I watched the start of her book video and seeing her talk about supporting her little family - her whole mannerism changes. I don’t think she was saying the patreon is to help support her family with a genuine projection at all. To me it came across that she was excited about doing the whole ‘earning money to earn money for your baby’ thing like it’s an exciting novelty. No understanding there that there are people who work 10x harder and don’t have the option to sit on a cushion trust and even then struggle to feed themselves after they’ve their children. Baffling.

She used to seem a lot more in touch when she surrounded herself with others her age a lot more. Since leaving Edinburgh she’s lost that. I didn’t expect her to stray this far away from her prior self before though.

Reactions: 17
Has this money her family has come from her mother? Or is it generational wealth?
IIRC, her father is a doctor and her mother is a big time lawyer, so probably mostly her mother but it doesn’t seem like anyone in her extended family is struggling, they have family property in the country and such.

Has this money her family has come from her mother? Or is it generational wealth?
I think her mum had a comfy upbringing but by no means similar to Jess. Her mum made her wealth through rising high at law firms.

Reactions: 8
From what I've read you need to times that by about 5
Agreed. She’s at a bigUS firm and was poached from being the head of department at a magic circle.

Don’t forget her step dad was also a very successful lawyer at the same magic circle firm as her mum (albeit now retired). Basically there is a huge amount of earnt wealth from 3 parents regardless of any generational wealth there may have been.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.