Sunbeamsjess #2 we put the same effort into this title as she does her content

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Jess is the perfect embodiment of someone who is apathetic. She knows damn well that what she is doing is wrong yet will go through with it anyway because she doesn't care.
Just like when she traveled to the US during covid, it wasn't her fault - even though in her "packing my bag" video she knew the pandemic was happening - it was the government's for not more aggressively forbidding them from going. At the very beginning I'm not sure most people really fully understood what was going on, but at some point during the trip she definitely realized they messed up, and rather than just say that she tried to blame anyone but herself for having made that error.

Reactions: 15
Just like when she traveled to the US during covid, it wasn't her fault - even though in her "packing my bag" video she knew the pandemic was happening - it was the government's for not more aggressively forbidding them from going. At the very beginning I'm not sure most people really fully understood what was going on, but at some point during the trip she definitely realized they messed up, and rather than just say that she tried to blame anyone but herself for having made that error.
And then continued to stay in America with her dad!!!

Reactions: 2
And then continued to stay in America with her dad!!!
And had some totally bs excuse for that, too! As far as public health goes, I guess it doesn't make much difference whether she was "sheltering in place" at her dad's or in London, but I still think her reason for not flying straight back to London was less about her plane anxiety being too high (she flies all over for luxury vacations all the time and we've never heard of this crippling anxiety before??) and more about her not being ready to end her vacation she was so excited about.

Because iirc, they weren't AT her dad's when the announcement came that they should be home, they were in the southwest, and rented a car to drive cross-country to go to his place.

Reactions: 10
Something about her attitude is getting really unpleasant to watch. I think her personality is becoming obnoxious with time because she's getting older and is no longer mature for her age. She should have realised by now how vain, excessive and self-serving her behaviours are.
When she discloses so indifferently and casually that she bought a stack of books for no reason (she had already listened to them or read them digitally)... It depresses me somewhat. Also she says she wants to be more conscious about choosing the right items when adding to her wardrobe in the future, without mentioning that she could actually stop adding new clothes to her wardrobe. It's not even a question: she will continue to consume way more than the average person and is unapologetic. She never contemplates that she could actually CHANGE these behaviours, and it's totally within her power.
The way she talks and handles items in videos reminds me of a spoilt child going through a stack of gifts. Yes, she's 25 and has her own money, but our planet is shared. She is just dripping with STUFF and doesn't comprehend the gravity of it. Like if you have ever looked at a photo of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, you know what I mean - seeing her rapidly consume so much stuff is pretty sickening. For someone who reads so much environmental sci fi... there are no words. She is obviously someone who chooses books based on certain virtuous connotations.. Look at yourself FFS
agree completely, but also wanted to mention that she’s 27. Time to grow up 🙄

Reactions: 13
Just finished watching her new video and she said that she wanted to buy clothes more purposefully. God bless her but we all know that it won't happen.

Since she started dating Zak she completely lost her own personal style to morph into his. Even in the video you can see her wearing baggy t-shirts and blazers that don't fit at all even though she said that she liked tailored pieces.

If someone asked me years ago what was her style I could easily describe it. But now? I would say whatever Zak is wearing.
Really not a fan of her style in recent years. It's the same old baggy stuff day in and day out.

Reactions: 5
She doesn't seem to have a style either. All she wear is the same combination of a maxi jacket with a jean. She reminds me of Lexi-an from Fashion filth but with a worst sense of fashion. At least Lexi is very street wear oriented. But Jess dresses as if she she had no mirror at home.

long time viewer of jess. not sure if anyone remembers her in uni, saying its more expensive to eat vegan than not as an excuse not to go plant based. same then and same now, she knows whats right to do but her actions wont follow through.

I can't see jess do any sort of mindful consumerism or anything along those lines, she began youtube more than 10 years ago (?) and its been huge expensive hauls after huge expensive hauls. the amount shes bought over the years probably amounts to more than the average joe can imagine. it's hard to undo that sort of behaviour she's cultivated over the years.

• Wow
Reactions: 1
Is anyone else really curious about her mum? She had Jess when she was around 23, moved to london with her, and essentially became a single parent whilst working long hours at a law firm. I'm fascinated by her mum and would love to know more about how she did it.

Reactions: 29
Is anyone else really curious about her mum? She had Jess when she was around 23, moved to london with her, and essentially became a single parent whilst working long hours at a law firm. I'm fascinated by her mum and would love to know more about how she did it.
Me too! She sounds like an incredible person. And if I'm not mistaken she isn't from a wealthy background.

The presents she gave Jess for her birthday every year were not only thoughtful but mind blowing. I remember her yearly birthday haul and at the time I was shocked to see what jess got but excited too. I wish she'd do like a q&a about her mom's career and how she got where she is now. Well, it is never going to happen but one can dream.

Reactions: 2
Ah, time and money, the two things Jess is sorely lacking.

For someone as preachy as Jess who judges every book by its political agenda (what a boring, narrow way of looking at literature), it's funny that she makes so many excuses for her own behaviour.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I feel because Jess is s soft spoken that people don't challenge her more excessive behaviours and how it doesn't link up to her statement about wanting to be more purposeful, she is an educated lady so should be well aware of the impact of all those flights for her holidays, purchasing new physical books all the time, and her clothing shopping..... nevermind the renovations that will happen to a house left empty.
I think she does a lot of gesture politics when it counts. Her actions suggest other wise. She doesn’t get called out a lot because of her privilege and she’s made things part of her brand! Aka the buying books which she already has on audible or kindle in physical format. As time goes on, more people will wake up. She will not be worried because she has enough money to £££ comfortably and let’s get real that baby is going to private school as it’ll be paid for by her dad or mum. She will continue to get away with a lot

Reactions: 8
I think she does a lot of gesture politics when it counts. Her actions suggest other wise. She doesn’t get called out a lot because of her privilege and she’s made things part of her brand! Aka the buying books which she already has on audible or kindle in physical format. As time goes on, more people will wake up. She will not be worried because she has enough money to £££ comfortably and let’s get real that baby is going to private school as it’ll be paid for by her dad or mum. She will continue to get away with a lot
Sorry deleted my post as the first but was more of a ramble ha, but agree. Some people can't or don't want to embrace audio/e-book alternatives, but clearly Jess doesn't fall into that category and is essentially buying the same book twice/thrice?! I do feel a lot of youtubers buy new paperbacks as a status symbol of some sort, holding a stack of books to review or having a full book shelf, as opposed to a screenshot of an e-book, but it's all so shallow. Jess could be championing second hand book buying, normalising showing audio/e-books or borrowing books instead of basically making it her brand to constantly buy new physical books and hold up to the camera her reading list.

I think too this just comes from being completely out of touch with most peoples disposable income for hobbies, and not having to learn or adapt to changing awareness when it comes to socio-economic and environmental issues.

Reactions: 4
Take this with a grain of salt because I'm not into "booktube/bookstagram" at all besides watching some Cosmere-related content, but I almost feel like Jess does the "SHEIN Haul" version of reading? Like obviously it's not completely analogous, but she's always wanting to read really famous classics and current nominees for the big awards to tick them off her list, but she doesn't really seem to just want to browse a used bookstore for hidden treasures or something.

Reactions: 16
Take this with a grain of salt because I'm not into "booktube/bookstagram" at all besides watching some Cosmere-related content, but I almost feel like Jess does the "SHEIN Haul" version of reading? Like obviously it's not completely analogous, but she's always wanting to read really famous classics and current nominees for the big awards to tick them off her list, but she doesn't really seem to just want to browse a used bookstore for hidden treasures or something.
Not to defend her but I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to read the classics and current nominees for awards. Maybe she genuinely enjoys those books and/or is intrigued to find out what the fuss is about and discuss them? And tbf she has read a LOT of books - 120 last year, many of which aren't as well known.

Sorry deleted my post as the first but was more of a ramble ha, but agree. Some people can't or don't want to embrace audio/e-book alternatives, but clearly Jess doesn't fall into that category and is essentially buying the same book twice/thrice?! I do feel a lot of youtubers buy new paperbacks as a status symbol of some sort, holding a stack of books to review or having a full book shelf, as opposed to a screenshot of an e-book, but it's all so shallow. Jess could be championing second hand book buying, normalising showing audio/e-books or borrowing books instead of basically making it her brand to constantly buy new physical books and hold up to the camera her reading list.

I think too this just comes from being completely out of touch with most peoples disposable income for hobbies, and not having to learn or adapt to changing awareness when it comes to socio-economic and environmental issues.
100% agree with this.

Reactions: 4
It seems to me to be very much the norm in booktube/bookstagram to primarily read new releases and award winners, with a few classics peppered in. I agree with @lilamay there's nothing wrong with reading like that (there is no right or wrong way to read etc). But it does make for slightly predictable book content (this is a criticism of booktube generally, not just Jess!)

Reactions: 3
Yeah, like I said I don't actually think it's BAD (whereas I think huge fast fashion hauls really are bad) but to me it just comes across as only wanting to do things for "content" and not from a genuine wholehearted enjoyment. Especially in combination with her tendency to talk about so many books she's reading like some annoying work task that she needs to get out of the way. I've started lots of fantasy series, decided they weren't for me, and then just never finished them. I know at some point she obviously did love reading and literature, since she went to college for it and then went on to get a masters, but I just don't see "enthusiastic bookworm" in her book content.

Reactions: 6
Yeah, like I said I don't actually think it's BAD (whereas I think huge fast fashion hauls really are bad) but to me it just comes across as only wanting to do things for "content" and not from a genuine wholehearted enjoyment. Especially in combination with her tendency to talk about so many books she's reading like some annoying work task that she needs to get out of the way. I've started lots of fantasy series, decided they weren't for me, and then just never finished them. I know at some point she obviously did love reading and literature, since she went to college for it and then went on to get a masters, but I just don't see "enthusiastic bookworm" in her book content.
Yeah definitely, I see what you mean. Like she said for her birthday none of her friends and family got her books (do book-lovers not tend to get gifted books for their birthdays?) but she bought herself a big selection and says 'a lot of them are just books that I really want to have on my shelves and maybe start reading' ... who does that?! She seemed to be thinking more about what would look good on her shelves than what she'd truly enjoy reading. Also, all the books she talks about in her videos are always listed with affiliate links, and it does make me wonder if she'd read as much if she couldn't make content/earn money from it. I don't think there's any right or wrong way way to read but at least be passionate about it.

Yeah definitely, I see what you mean. Like she said for her birthday none of her friends and family got her books (do book-lovers not tend to get gifted books for their birthdays?) but she bought herself a big selection and says 'a lot of them are just books that I really want to have on my shelves and maybe start reading' ... who does that?! She seemed to be thinking more about what would look good on her shelves than what she'd truly enjoy reading. Also, all the books she talks about in her videos are always listed with affiliate links, and it does make me wonder if she'd read as much if she couldn't make content/earn money from it. I don't think there's any right or wrong way way to read but at least be passionate about it.
I think she has this obsession with owning every book she's ever read (even a few pages of) so she can have a library that reflects her whole mind. I remember her mentioning it in a vlog while talking about her aunt's bookshelf at the farmhouse.
Again, it's a mildly understandable impulse but that doesn't mean it's a proper justification for doing something so selfish and silly

Honestly her lifestyle is so expensive I'm not sure her income would actually cover it without her mum. Many of her recent videos only have 25k views, surely she's not earning much from affiliate links.

Sidenote, how has her mum been able to go on multiple month-long vacations with her each year?

Oh, also, if anyone can think of a good title for the thread where we catalogue all her expensive purchases, do share :)

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.