Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

emmer_moans

VIP Member
such an interesting topic, thanks for that!
I loved studtubers (unjaded jade and ruby granger from the ones you mentioned) years ago as they inspire and motivated me to do my own work. now - a bit later and with one or two therapy sessions I see things little bit different. I really believe that these youtube/girls are doing it because they have fun and like to inspire people but for me I find it more problematic from my point of view now.

- we are living in a society where the quality and worth of a person is measured by productivity and success. being "so tired" and "stressed out" because you are "busy" or "worked so much" is connotated with proud and success and positive things by now. late capitalism, efficience, productivity - you are what you achieve. And I struggled A LOT with this. I couldn't "just rest" without feeling guilty because I thought I have to do and achieve things to become worthy and be proud of myself. and studytubers are not to blame because of my problem but I think the success of them is a symptom of this problem. I know a lot of people in my environment who have the guilty and shameful feeling that "everyone around them are SO successful and are doing so much more" so they feel less, little, lazy or worthless (in some degree) and therefore guilty.

- on another point. with some of these studytubers I have the feeling that they aren't doing it any more because they really have to do it for school/uni/college/whatever and have fun with it, but because for its sake. so they can push another extreme video like "STUDY FOR ME 14 HOURS STRAIGHT" or "reading 200books in one year!" - and this has nothing to do with my ideal of having fun by learning something, motivation or interest in the content/subject/topic/language but with pushing their ego because they want to be seen as the extreme diligent, smart and disciplined ones. what a bummer.

these are my two cents for now. - sorry for my english, I had to give my opinion as fast as I could :D
This. I have followed Unjaded Jade, Eve Bennett, Ruby Granger and IbzMo, and Holly Gabrielle.

I graduated 7 years ago but I guess Im nosy and the study tube thing hit off big time last year. Watching them sort of brought nostalgia and intrigue. I like productivity videos etc.

I liked Unjaded Jade because she seems humble though Id be interested to see how she progresses as she gets more opportunities. I do worry that she will come across as a bit toooo perfect or tooooo 'goals'. By comparison, IbzMo makes me laugh, he's down to earth, grounded, cares about community and is pushing boundaries. He comes from a position of non privilege, and from his videos I gather he has had trials and difficulties at home, which has meant he approaches success differently to say unjaded jade. He enourages people to strive, push boubdaries but also that failure is ok. He shows you dont have to get A* and 1sts to be a valid person.

Eve is living her best life at Oxford, she worked hard so fair play to her. At the moment she likes to mention Oxford at evey opportunity which I see is starting to grate on her fans a bit now, but she is a first year and it is a novelty still.

Ruby used to make me cringe with the Hermione stuff but I've been pleasantly surprised by her uni vlogs, she's becoming more mature and I quite like her reflective character.

Holly I check every so often if Im working through my sub box, but Im not sure her content is for me.

I do see lots of studytubers also pushing their diets though (mostly vegan), as filler content. I do worry that diet combined with study being seen as the ideal might alienate kids in families where they arent in control of the family food shop, and perhaps cant commit to so many hours of study.

In all though, I get more out of productivity videos than i do hauls or tutorials.

I expect each year new studytubers will appear to document/capitalise on their learning journeys.

Reactions: 1

svdwoodsen

VIP Member
i've also started watching kharma medic (after months of youtube recommending it to me haha) and i like what he films and how
so far he's been out of controversies (unlike some studytubers) and he seems a nice guy, yet he hasn't taken part in the studytube project channel, i wonder why!
I think he was doing some exam recently and hasn't been active (USMLE? Step 1? Not familiar with these acronyms at all) as a result. He seems like a nice guy and I like how short most of his videos are!

• Heart

LolitaBlah

VIP Member
shall we start a thread about Kharma Medic? he seems like a very nice guy and there's probably not a lot of tattle about him haha but he's currently a really big productivity/study youtuber
Yes please he is da best <3 And his new channel with podcasts made me like him even more!

blmrqslm

I like a girl called Isabella Athena. She's visibly inspired by Ruby Granger, but seems getting more mature (she's just graduated high school!)

thegirlscout

VIP Member
I am just wondering if anyone here knows what happened to Astrid?

She was known as Astrid Francizka if I remember correctly and went to Cambridge. She had a youtube channel and instagram. I watched her a lot a couple of years ago and really liked her videos. She was friends with PaigeY and appeared in her videos as well.

Then I sort of forgot about studytube for a while and also had a new youtube channel. I just recently thought of her and tried to find her but she seems to be gone. I can't find anything on youtube or instagram.

Did she delete her account or just change her name? Can she still be found somewhere? Or if she deleted it does anyone know why?

I will miss her book reviews.
Looking online the first hit is Astrid Godfrey on LinkedIn, maybe she married?
Looking on Facebook she’s studying at Cambridge Medieval and Renaissance literature.

Sarabelle

I am just wondering if anyone here knows what happened to Astrid?

She was known as Astrid Francizka if I remember correctly and went to Cambridge. She had a youtube channel and instagram. I watched her a lot a couple of years ago and really liked her videos. She was friends with PaigeY and appeared in her videos as well.

Then I sort of forgot about studytube for a while and also had a new youtube channel. I just recently thought of her and tried to find her but she seems to be gone. I can't find anything on youtube or instagram.

Did she delete her account or just change her name? Can she still be found somewhere? Or if she deleted it does anyone know why?

I will miss her book reviews.

Magallanes

Very easy to get on the LPC/LLM if you self-fund (Astrid, Ibz Mo), very competitive if you want a place sponsored by a law firm (Eve C).
liam porritt and kharma medic's girlfriend alexia also did the law conversion course, it's as if youtube is flooded by solicitors!

Magallanes

is it just me or many studytubers/productivity youtubers want to become a solicitor? i'm not from the UK so i find this a bit strange...i know they may earn lots of money (depending on the company) but what is the ratio between candidates and offered places?

jellybean98

I was shocked to find out how much she charges to tutor when she has no teaching experience or qualifications !

"Each session will be £40/hour if the payment is made via
bank transfer, or £43/hour for PayPal (to cover transaction
fees). Please note this goes towards the time not only within
the session itself, but also my time for preparation both before
and afterwards to ensure you get the most out of it. If these
sessions need to run over slightly, to avoid incompleteness,
there will be no extra charge for this. Payment will need to be
made in advance of the session and this will take place via a
bank transfer or PayPal as mentioned before, and this will be
discussed over email before the sessions begin."
That's actually really cheap for tutoring. I used to have a tutor for my A-Level and she charged £35 per session, which even my parents were shocked at how low it was, and the only qualifications she had were in those subjects (so no official teaching qualifications). I know a lot of people who pay north of £50 a session for tuition from university students, and those with professional teaching qualifications can charge over £100

thegirlscout

VIP Member
Thanks! I believe that Francizska is her middle name that she used? Not sure, though. So maybe she did get married or maybe it is just her actual surname.

Have you been able to find her channel anywhere? I guess she deleted it because I also can't find it using Godfrey. Too bad she was a really nice studytuber and not toxic or stressful to watch.

I don't know if I remember correctly, I think the last time I watched her channel she was about to get into law school and before that I guess it was something with literature so that makes sense! Must have been her undergraduate's.
I think she’s deleted her channel and Instagram.

Magallanes

Francizska is her middle name. Her mum was Polish or of Polish origin, that's the reason why. I guess that, like Holly Gabrielle, she chose her middle name as her "brand" or "influencer name" instead of her surname for privacy reasons. I was very hooked by her content as well. She was always very open about mental health, and I remember she made a live Q&A on YT once where she even answered a couple of my questions regarding depression and BPD. In a couple of videos she mentioned that she wanted to become a lawyer, hence her law course, but she always mentioned that while looking for trainee contracts she wanted to pursue a Masters in Literature. Ibz Mo did something similar, he finished his law course and then studied a Masters in Education in Oxford, I guess to cultivate themselves but still, those are very expensive courses taking into consideration they will be of no use in their future legal careers.

EDIT: PS. I also miss her content, I hope she's well.

xekatinaz

I was reading the article posted above and I was wondering what is your experience with studytube?
When did you start watching and why? When did you start thinking it may be problematic?

Sarabelle

Godfrey has always been her last name as far as I remember.
Interesting to hear she went back to literature as I’m pretty sure she finished the Law course?
Yes, she did finish the law course. Now she is doing a MPhil, I believe, I checked her Linkedin yesterday.

Do you know why she deleted everything, did she ever explain it?

Welshgal

VIP Member
I was shocked to find out how much she charges to tutor when she has no teaching experience or qualifications !

"Each session will be £40/hour if the payment is made via
bank transfer, or £43/hour for PayPal (to cover transaction
fees). Please note this goes towards the time not only within
the session itself, but also my time for preparation both before
and afterwards to ensure you get the most out of it. If these
sessions need to run over slightly, to avoid incompleteness,
there will be no extra charge for this. Payment will need to be
made in advance of the session and this will take place via a
bank transfer or PayPal as mentioned before, and this will be
discussed over email before the sessions begin."
Tutoring is very time consuming but wow ... That’s quite a lot considering her lack of experience and no teaching qualifcations!
Just show’s that you can get away with pretty much anything if you got enough sheep on Youtube/Instagram...

Welshgal

VIP Member
Yes, she did finish the law course. Now she is doing a MPhil, I believe, I checked her Linkedin yesterday.

Do you know why she deleted everything, did she ever explain it?
No. I stopped watching her and didn’t even realize she was gone tbh.

Welshgal

VIP Member
Godfrey has always been her last name as far as I remember.
Interesting to hear she went back to literature as I’m pretty sure she finished the Law course?