Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Welshgal

VIP Member
Ugh Jade has gotten SO annoying. I had to unfollow a couple of weeks ago because I couldn‘t cope with her way of making everything seem so special. Minerva‘s the biggest scam I‘ve ever seen tbh.

Ruby‘s behavior is super worrying lately. She‘s eating so little and doing 5 (!!!!) hours of exercise?

Definitely agree that Holly isn‘t over her ed. Which is also worrying. She seems so sweet.

I personally really enjoy Lydia (and sometimes Eve, although I agree she‘s very entitled but at least a bit more relatable?)

Reactions: 4

emmer_moans

VIP Member
The thing is they quickly branch out from study videos and start preaching on various topics and make videos with tenuous topics to link back to a random ad product. I don't want to hear a studytuber advertise a razor.

My uni days were nearly a decade ago but i am still drawn to study videos because i like to see what the latest study tips are, seen days in the life of uni campuses etc. All studytubers start off well but they do tend to become more tenuous as time goes by, in order to make money.

jjhv

Over this Christmas period all of the bigger studytubers are just pissing me off. Their self-absorption is showing soo much.

Satisfying Click

VIP Member
I'm really glad study-tubing (or even YouTube) wasn't a thing when I was doing my A levels or at uni - my mental health was in a really bad way and seeing the typical over-privileged lot would have caused me to compare myself and wonder why I wasn't doing a 14 hour study session (which is a total waste of productivity if you are having to pull such long sessions, it's not healthy or conducive to learning)

The weird cult-like slide into veganism/productivity/mental health awareness is weird. I guess the equivalent group think when I was a student was voting Lib Dem 😁

Reactions: 3
I am also worried about Holly Gabrielle and Ruby Granger's eating and exercise. If they were not 'studytubers', they would come across as being 'pro ana' accounts (which are mostly banned now :unsure:). If I had watched these two at a younger age, they would have been so triggering for me and I would definitely be influened by their restrictive diets. I feel so bad for any super young followers they have that might be copying their diets/exercise, thinking that is what they also should be doing :(.
They are so bad, youd think given Holly wants to go into nutrition she would be more knowledgeable, how anyone would trust her advice is beyond me.

svdwoodsen

VIP Member
I generally dislike them for reasons everyone has mentioned above (completely unrealistic, hurtful for one's self-esteem, boring, etc.) but I do enjoy Kharmamedic and I'm not even a medical student. I never watch those study with me videos though, because it just stresses me out when I invariably can't focus nearly as long as these influencers. I like the occasional tips or day in my life clips.

Welshgal

VIP Member
Eve is lovely but she‘s definitely torn between wanting to be super successful but also a social light so she burns herself up.

I don‘t like Ruby or Jade (anymore) as they are too „perfect“ and „above it all“. Jade especially annoy the crap out of me lately

On the other hand I quite enjoy Jack Edwards and Luke Birch! They are real fun to watch and are always quite honest when they are struggling etc.

Lars Guinard

VIP Member
Eve is lovely but she‘s definitely torn between wanting to be super successful but also a social light so she burns herself up.

I don‘t like Ruby or Jade (anymore) as they are too „perfect“ and „above it all“. Jade especially annoy the crap out of me lately

On the other hand I quite enjoy Jack Edwards and Luke Birch! They are real fun to watch and are always quite honest when they are struggling etc.
I really enjoy watching Ibz Mo and Jack Edwards.
Ibz Mo always cheers me up and I think his ‘journey’ to being a Cambridge graduate is definitely inspiring. Really admire his honesty about difficult topics aside from studying...break up/drinking alcohol/belonging at Oxbridge.
I love Jack Edwards for his candid approach to uni/studying/launching his company. I hope he succeeds in expanding his brand and great to see him on his travels.

whatshesaid123

Chatty Member
Hi guys, I made this account after being blocked by Rosie (JustALittleRoo, part of the Studytube Project) after calling her out on not social distancing ended up in her blocking me ☹

It really frustrates me how many of the StudyTubers aren't making any effort to social distance (I have a family member on immunosuppressants who's still shielding, so I know I'm more touchy than most people would be about this). But I can't believe they always say "call me out if I do something problematic!" but when you do, they block you ☹ I only have instagram to follow YouTubers I like as well, which has kind of made it even more sad.

View attachment 254678

View attachment 254680

View attachment 254681

View attachment 254682

View attachment 254684

(My first reply is hidden because she blocked me, but I said something like you can still spread the virus when a camera is pointing at you)
I quite like Rosie but now I cant believe she would not social distance and then try and justify why she’s above the law. It’s okay for her because she’s been isolating - but she could still catch coronavirus! It’s not like the virus knows whether you’ve been isolating for months 😂

emmer_moans

VIP Member
What is interesting is how insecure they come across. Eve B is very insecure but seems to thrive off the attention. Jade seems lost and trying hard to make everything spontaneous. I think they started with good intentions but over time they get sucked into the ads, the social media presence and become entertainment for views. Students watching then tend to copy their personalities and lives, not just their study tips, for example when they bring out study merch...

playstationbore

I graduated in July 2019. Please please don’t think the way Ruby shows uni is the “norm”. Yes, there’s a lot of work to be done but I did it with friends! We booked rooms in the library and had study sessions together and would all bring food and have a good time whilst getting our work done. I probably did more work at A Level than I did at uni. Uni is about the experience and Ruby definitely doesn’t portray what that experience is for most people. Please don’t let her taint your views!
(I’m sure there are others that do uni how Ruby is, but the vast majority dont)
Ruby is probably in 0.1% population if not less, try other uni vloggers on youtube its so much more than studying
Ruby is definitely not a representation of how most students are, or how they should be. With Nursing you'll be doing placements as well, so it won't be all just sitting at a desk. Unlike Ruby's degree, your degree will pretty much guaruntee you a job at the end of it.
Trust me, her videos do not portray a healthy relationship with studying. Plenty of people do well whilst having a social life and other commitments. Lydia Violetta's videos give a much more realistic idea of what university is like for most people.
thank you so much for getting back to me! its really helped so thanks for that :) i'll check out some of Lydia's vids

KawaiiSloth

Chatty Member
I am also worried about Holly Gabrielle and Ruby Granger's eating and exercise. If they were not 'studytubers', they would come across as being 'pro ana' accounts (which are mostly banned now :unsure:). If I had watched these two at a younger age, they would have been so triggering for me and I would definitely be influened by their restrictive diets. I feel so bad for any super young followers they have that might be copying their diets/exercise, thinking that is what they also should be doing :(.

KawaiiSloth

Chatty Member
I was shocked to find out how much she charges to tutor when she has no teaching experience or qualifications !

"Each session will be £40/hour if the payment is made via
bank transfer, or £43/hour for PayPal (to cover transaction
fees). Please note this goes towards the time not only within
the session itself, but also my time for preparation both before
and afterwards to ensure you get the most out of it. If these
sessions need to run over slightly, to avoid incompleteness,
there will be no extra charge for this. Payment will need to be
made in advance of the session and this will take place via a
bank transfer or PayPal as mentioned before, and this will be
discussed over email before the sessions begin."
Geeeeez, not even actual teachers get paid £40 p/h ( or get paid for the time they put in before and after lessons) 😬. She must think so highly of herself.

Reactions: 2

Magallanes

shall we start a thread about Kharma Medic? he seems like a very nice guy and there's probably not a lot of tattle about him haha but he's currently a really big productivity/study youtuber

Tbh I think her decision to study nutrition is highly influenced by her obsession with food (a common sympton of being malnourished/restricting food for so long).
to say she has an interest in food though the food she eats and cooks is so basic, minimal and plain. Like oats and water or plain boiled vegetables

prinnygrace

VIP Member
I can’t stand Jade since she went to Minerva, whereas I would once say she was my favourite.

I’m really enjoying Lydia and Eve’s content at the minute

Welshgal

VIP Member
Ruby is definitely not a representation of how most students are, or how they should be. With Nursing you'll be doing placements as well, so it won't be all just sitting at a desk. Unlike Ruby's degree, your degree will pretty much guaruntee you a job at the end of it.
Trust me, her videos do not portray a healthy relationship with studying. Plenty of people do well whilst having a social life and other commitments. Lydia Violetta's videos give a much more realistic idea of what university is like for most people.
I agree Lydia’s videos have been brilliant lately. HOWEVER. She also does this for a living so you really can’t compare any Youtuber to yourself! While they film themselves studying or doing whatever, most other people would be going to their job.
I like watching Studytubers for inspiration and motivation but NEVER think that their uni experience is anything like mine (or most others).

emmer_moans

VIP Member
Ibz Mo was off to a good start but has now tested postive for Covid and is feeling really rough. I hope he's ok. He's grown on me as he seems to have matured and I am rooting for him on his Oxford journey.

He posted on his Insta regarding the covid.

nissigossips

is it just me or many studytubers/productivity youtubers want to become a solicitor? i'm not from the UK so i find this a bit strange...i know they may earn lots of money (depending on the company) but what is the ratio between candidates and offered places?
Very easy to get on the LPC/LLM if you self-fund (Astrid, Ibz Mo), very competitive if you want a place sponsored by a law firm (Eve C).