Studytubers. Toxic or inspiring?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do you feel that “older” studytubers are struggling to stay relevant?
I think there is a clear pattern in studytubers
- studying & productivity aka their studytube days
- food : going vegan
- extreme exercising (running, gymnastics, yoga etc in unhealthy quantity )
- mental health “awareness”
Definitely. Holly Gabrielle is one, and Courtney Daniella that I can think of.

Reactions: 2
Can someone start a thread for Elena? I actually quite like Elena, but she gets herself involved in so much drama it could be interesting to catch up

• Heart
One on Eve Bennett would be great too! I just posted something related to her on Jade's thread because I couldn't find elsewhere to put it.

Can someone start a thread for Elena? I actually quite like Elena, but she gets herself involved in so much drama it could be interesting to catch up
Here you go! ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Two interesting general StudyTube things:

Number one, this tweet

Screenshot_20200816-200507.png
Screenshot_20200816-200542.png
20200816_200605.jpg
20200816_200607.jpg

Number two, this article

Reactions: 5
Two interesting general StudyTube things:

Number one, this tweet

View attachment 213900View attachment 213901View attachment 213902View attachment 213903

Number two, this article

They have done this in a very tone deaf manner by inserting themselves into it, by referring back to their experiences. Same as Jack Edwards. They should have said “ we are angry for you, here are links to petitions, and please be strong!” They should have left it at that and maybe retweet’s useful links, but no, they had to centre themselves in it, and define the situation in relation to their experience.

Reactions: 8
I was reading the article posted above and I was wondering what is your experience with studytube?
When did you start watching and why? When did you start thinking it may be problematic?

I was reading the article posted above and I was wondering what is your experience with studytube?
When did you start watching and why? When did you start thinking it may be problematic?
I started watching during my A Levels (a good few years ago now, Eve was doing GCSEs so there wasn’t that many studytubers about). It only took a few months to find it problematic when I was comparing how much work I got done in a day to them. I was revising for a few hours, for arguably more important exams to get into uni, whilst they were doing 12 hour days.

Reactions: 7
I generally dislike them for reasons everyone has mentioned above (completely unrealistic, hurtful for one's self-esteem, boring, etc.) but I do enjoy Kharmamedic and I'm not even a medical student. I never watch those study with me videos though, because it just stresses me out when I invariably can't focus nearly as long as these influencers. I like the occasional tips or day in my life clips.

Reactions: 3
I generally dislike them for reasons everyone has mentioned above (completely unrealistic, hurtful for one's self-esteem, boring, etc.) but I do enjoy Kharmamedic and I'm not even a medical student. I never watch those study with me videos though, because it just stresses me out when I invariably can't focus nearly as long as these influencers. I like the occasional tips or day in my life clips.
i've also started watching kharma medic (after months of youtube recommending it to me haha) and i like what he films and how
so far he's been out of controversies (unlike some studytubers) and he seems a nice guy, yet he hasn't taken part in the studytube project channel, i wonder why!

I watched a few videos of Ruby Granger’s last year or the year before and the all day studying video she did was ridiculous. Plus she went abroad on holiday with her family and spent a lot of time speed reading books which I think was a bit rude? I get taking a few books on holiday to read during the down town but it looked like she went places with her family and just read.

i've also started watching kharma medic (after months of youtube recommending it to me haha) and i like what he films and how
so far he's been out of controversies (unlike some studytubers) and he seems a nice guy, yet he hasn't taken part in the studytube project channel, i wonder why!
I think he was doing some exam recently and hasn't been active (USMLE? Step 1? Not familiar with these acronyms at all) as a result. He seems like a nice guy and I like how short most of his videos are!

• Heart
i regret getting into studytubers. it's a toxic mentality of studying 12 hours a day which really rubbed off the wrong way. like what you guys mentioned here, they rely a lot on sponsorships and ads, and do duck all to help actual struggling students. some studytubers are very good and mean well. but the rest are privileged and 'perfect' studious kids who don't need part time jobs, don't come from dysfunctional families, etc. i'm not even from the uk, but i take a similar exam (my country's modified cambridge A levels). of course it's not their fault, but it becomes really demoralizing to see countless videos on my feed about studying 24/7. so i unsubscribed to them long ago. productivity youtubers are also full of the same tit.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
The thing is they quickly branch out from study videos and start preaching on various topics and make videos with tenuous topics to link back to a random ad product. I don't want to hear a studytuber advertise a razor.

My uni days were nearly a decade ago but i am still drawn to study videos because i like to see what the latest study tips are, seen days in the life of uni campuses etc. All studytubers start off well but they do tend to become more tenuous as time goes by, in order to make money.

Reactions: 4
I'm really glad study-tubing (or even YouTube) wasn't a thing when I was doing my A levels or at uni - my mental health was in a really bad way and seeing the typical over-privileged lot would have caused me to compare myself and wonder why I wasn't doing a 14 hour study session (which is a total waste of productivity if you are having to pull such long sessions, it's not healthy or conducive to learning)

The weird cult-like slide into veganism/productivity/mental health awareness is weird. I guess the equivalent group think when I was a student was voting Lib Dem 😁

Reactions: 3
is lucrezia chloe considered a studytuber? i'd like to start a thread about her but i don't know if she's, let's say, "relevant" enough, she still has a pretty small channel, but she looks like she looks up to grace beverley and all that TALA jazz

Hi guys, I made this account after being blocked by Rosie (JustALittleRoo, part of the Studytube Project) after calling her out on not social distancing ended up in her blocking me ☹

It really frustrates me how many of the StudyTubers aren't making any effort to social distance (I have a family member on immunosuppressants who's still shielding, so I know I'm more touchy than most people would be about this). But I can't believe they always say "call me out if I do something problematic!" but when you do, they block you ☹ I only have instagram to follow YouTubers I like as well, which has kind of made it even more sad.

Screenshot_20200920-171350.jpg

Screenshot_20200925-120330.png

Screenshot_20200925-120348.png

Screenshot_20200925-120401.png

Screenshot_20200925-120419.png

(My first reply is hidden because she blocked me, but I said something like you can still spread the virus when a camera is pointing at you)

• Wow
Reactions: 4