Studytubers. Toxic or inspiring?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am also worried about Holly Gabrielle and Ruby Granger's eating and exercise. If they were not 'studytubers', they would come across as being 'pro ana' accounts (which are mostly banned now :unsure:). If I had watched these two at a younger age, they would have been so triggering for me and I would definitely be influened by their restrictive diets. I feel so bad for any super young followers they have that might be copying their diets/exercise, thinking that is what they also should be doing :(.
They are so bad, youd think given Holly wants to go into nutrition she would be more knowledgeable, how anyone would trust her advice is beyond me.

Reactions: 3
They are so bad, youd think given Holly wants to go into nutrition she would be more knowledgeable, how anyone would trust her advice is beyond me.
Tbh I think her decision to study nutrition is highly influenced by her obsession with food (a common sympton of being malnourished/restricting food for so long).

Reactions: 6
Tbh I think her decision to study nutrition is highly influenced by her obsession with food (a common sympton of being malnourished/restricting food for so long).
to say she has an interest in food though the food she eats and cooks is so basic, minimal and plain. Like oats and water or plain boiled vegetables

Reactions: 2
to say she has an interest in food though the food she eats and cooks is so basic, minimal and plain. Like oats and water or plain boiled vegetables
She might only eat plain food because she's scared of most food though. My friend with anorexia only ate plain toast and plain cereal, yet she was constantly looking at pictures of food online, researching recipes, talking about food etc.

She might only eat plain food because she's scared of most food though. My friend with anorexia only ate plain toast and plain cereal, yet she was constantly looking at pictures of food online, researching recipes, talking about food etc.
I was shocked to find out how much she charges to tutor when she has no teaching experience or qualifications !

"Each session will be £40/hour if the payment is made via
bank transfer, or £43/hour for PayPal (to cover transaction
fees). Please note this goes towards the time not only within
the session itself, but also my time for preparation both before
and afterwards to ensure you get the most out of it. If these
sessions need to run over slightly, to avoid incompleteness,
there will be no extra charge for this. Payment will need to be
made in advance of the session and this will take place via a
bank transfer or PayPal as mentioned before, and this will be
discussed over email before the sessions begin."

I was shocked to find out how much she charges to tutor when she has no teaching experience or qualifications !

Tutoring is very time consuming but wow ... That’s quite a lot considering her lack of experience and no teaching qualifcations!
Just show’s that you can get away with pretty much anything if you got enough sheep on Youtube/Instagram...

Geeeeez, not even actual teachers get paid £40 p/h ( or get paid for the time they put in before and after lessons) 😬. She must think so highly of herself.

I originally was into the studytuber thing, but the more I watched the more I felt bad about the way I work which... is definitely not what they intended. I think studytube started with pure intentions, but I think some of these people place the idea of "extreme productivity" over actual, realistic content. But realistic content wouldn't get views, so of course they started with the "14 hour study with me!" videos to stand out against the other people making that content. That's my biggest issue with youtube, because it's so saturated you have to go extreme with your own content to get the views.

That's actually really cheap for tutoring. I used to have a tutor for my A-Level and she charged £35 per session, which even my parents were shocked at how low it was, and the only qualifications she had were in those subjects (so no official teaching qualifications). I know a lot of people who pay north of £50 a session for tuition from university students, and those with professional teaching qualifications can charge over £100

i got into 2 unis for september 2020 and from watching ruby, its really massively put me off going to uni. i want to do nursing but seeing people spend like 100% of their time studying, like ruby and i just don't think i can do it anymore. just wondering if anyone has felt the same, its starting to give me anxiety and ive had to stop with the videos as i just don't feel i can emotionally or mentally be healthy whilst being at university

i got into 2 unis for september 2020 and from watching ruby, its really massively put me off going to uni. i want to do nursing but seeing people spend like 100% of their time studying, like ruby and i just don't think i can do it anymore. just wondering if anyone has felt the same, its starting to give me anxiety and ive had to stop with the videos as i just don't feel i can emotionally or mentally be healthy whilst being at university
I graduated in July 2019. Please please don’t think the way Ruby shows uni is the “norm”. Yes, there’s a lot of work to be done but I did it with friends! We booked rooms in the library and had study sessions together and would all bring food and have a good time whilst getting our work done. I probably did more work at A Level than I did at uni. Uni is about the experience and Ruby definitely doesn’t portray what that experience is for most people. Please don’t let her taint your views!
(I’m sure there are others that do uni how Ruby is, but the vast majority dont)

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Ruby is probably in 0.1% population if not less, try other uni vloggers on youtube its so much more than studying

Ruby is definitely not a representation of how most students are, or how they should be. With Nursing you'll be doing placements as well, so it won't be all just sitting at a desk. Unlike Ruby's degree, your degree will pretty much guaruntee you a job at the end of it.
Trust me, her videos do not portray a healthy relationship with studying. Plenty of people do well whilst having a social life and other commitments. Lydia Violetta's videos give a much more realistic idea of what university is like for most people.

Reactions: 5
Ruby is definitely not a representation of how most students are, or how they should be. With Nursing you'll be doing placements as well, so it won't be all just sitting at a desk. Unlike Ruby's degree, your degree will pretty much guaruntee you a job at the end of it.
Trust me, her videos do not portray a healthy relationship with studying. Plenty of people do well whilst having a social life and other commitments. Lydia Violetta's videos give a much more realistic idea of what university is like for most people.
I agree Lydia’s videos have been brilliant lately. HOWEVER. She also does this for a living so you really can’t compare any Youtuber to yourself! While they film themselves studying or doing whatever, most other people would be going to their job.
I like watching Studytubers for inspiration and motivation but NEVER think that their uni experience is anything like mine (or most others).

I graduated in July 2019. Please please don’t think the way Ruby shows uni is the “norm”. Yes, there’s a lot of work to be done but I did it with friends! We booked rooms in the library and had study sessions together and would all bring food and have a good time whilst getting our work done. I probably did more work at A Level than I did at uni. Uni is about the experience and Ruby definitely doesn’t portray what that experience is for most people. Please don’t let her taint your views!
(I’m sure there are others that do uni how Ruby is, but the vast majority dont)
Ruby is probably in 0.1% population if not less, try other uni vloggers on youtube its so much more than studying
thank you so much for getting back to me! its really helped so thanks for that :) i'll check out some of Lydia's vids

Reactions: 3
Curious; Any small/lesser-known study tubers you all really like? I like PaigeY but sort of run out of new people to watch.

I like a girl called Isabella Athena. She's visibly inspired by Ruby Granger, but seems getting more mature (she's just graduated high school!)

Reactions: 1
PaigeY is lovely! I also like Lydia Violeta and Elena Handtrack
Love Elena!! Will give Lydia a watch though; Ta!!

I like a girl called Isabella Athena. She's visibly inspired by Ruby Granger, but seems getting more mature (she's just graduated high school!)
Never heard of her, appreciate the suggestion. I'll give her a watch!! Thanks :)

Thought Ibz deserved his own thread: https://tattle.life/threads/ibz-mo-studytuber.6810/

Enjoy

Do you feel that “older” studytubers are struggling to stay relevant?
I think there is a clear pattern in studytubers
- studying & productivity aka their studytube days
- food : going vegan
- extreme exercising (running, gymnastics, yoga etc in unhealthy quantity )
- mental health “awareness”

Reactions: 4