Strictly Come Dancing 2023 #9

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They do like a journey contestant. I think Kelvin Fletcher might be the exception though? Though technically he wasn't in week one 🤔
Kelvin wasn't in the launch show, but his show winning Samba was in week one.
---
Have scanned through the posts tonight and basically nodding and agreeing.
The facebook Brendas already on the ‘Layton is so full of himself’ talk, so he’s this year’s Fleur/Alexandra in their eyes 🙄
No disrespect to Nigel, as he was great, but Leyton is getting hammered all the time for being on the West End. Nigel, it would appear, completely immune to such criticism. Leyton is such an easy target, unfortunately.

Reactions: 15
Ellie
Nigel
Layton

I will say though that they all gave it their best shot and some like Les, Eddie and Krishnan entertained me a lot. They were just having a brilliant time. 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Top 3 - Annabel, Ellie and Nigel
Layton was good but didn't like the outfits or music

Reactions: 4
Top 3 - Annabel, Ellie and Nigel
Layton was good but didn't like the outfits or music
Annabel was much better than I had expected. I had fully anticipated her to be like an ironing board. Comparing her dance to Zara you can see just how much better she was.

Reactions: 14
Ellie
Nigel
Layton

I will say though that they all gave it their best shot and some like Les, Eddie and Krishnan entertained me a lot. They were just having a brilliant time. 😁
Agree, I thought the whole show was wonderful and the three you mentioned really brought the old spirit of SCD to the dancefloor. I loved it and Krishnans overall joy was fabulous. ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 17
No disrespect to Nigel, as he was great, but Leyton is getting hammered all the time for being on the West End. Nigel, it would appear, completely immune to such criticism. Leyton is such an easy target, unfortunately.
i think, in general, people need to get over “being on the west end” as some kind of confirmation of extreme dance experience. unless that person is the lead in 42nd street or something the dancing in musicals these days is extremely minimal. layton did do dancing in everybody’s talking about jamie but it’s primarily very basic street and disco steps. the whole “but they’ve been on STAGE” thing is so tired and means nothing in terms of how they do in latin and ballroom.

you’re right that every year there seems to be a contestant where everyone decides “yes that one is the ringer” and can’t see past that to the others. layton already seems to be that contestant this year (nice for it to be a guy for a change though).

Reactions: 23
Although I liked Leytons dance he needs to rein it in a bit in terms of adding his own bits and outdancing the pro. Think its more a risk in latin.
Interesting to see how he does in ballroom

Reactions: 10
Ellie
Nigel
Layton

agreed on all counts! ellie was so so good and i really like her and vito’s vibe. also feel like angela s is only going to improve. likewise amanda.

it really was a very fun show and i honestly thought it flew by for 2+ hours. everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Reactions: 12
---

[/QUOTE]

I was reading stuff elsewhere last night and it made sense - basically in any given series, one contestant is labelled as the 'ringer' and any other ringers in that series are basically ignored (eg Ashley Roberts took all the flack for being a ringer yet nobody mentioned that Faye Steps was basically an identical ringer with the same background 🤷‍♀️). So this year, Layton is the ringer and Nigel's experience is going to be ignored giving him a much easier ride!

• Heart
It will be Bobby then won't it? Can just see it now
I don't necessarily think so. I'm going to sound like I'm talking bollocks, but I actually think both Bobby and Nigel appeal to the core Strictly audience. Nice young man Bobby, who could be their son/grandson and fanciable mature man Nigel, who can actually dance. Do we often get both in the same series 🤔 I'm speaking generally, of course, but there is a bit of a crossover there.

• Heart
Just catching up now! Only watched Adam Thomas and Angela s so far, but wtf was that cringe robot Adam did 😂

I’d be fuming if I got a good dance like a tango in week 1!

Reactions: 2
I was reading stuff elsewhere last night and it made sense - basically in any given series, one contestant is labelled as the 'ringer' and any other ringers in that series are basically ignored (eg Ashley Roberts took all the flack for being a ringer yet nobody mentioned that Faye Steps was basically an identical ringer with the same background 🤷‍♀️). So this year, Layton is the ringer and Nigel's experience is going to be ignored giving him a much easier ride!
to be fair, ashley is one of the truest ringers this show has ever had in that she was an actual trained dancer who had previously made a living through dancing (that’s the actual definition of a ringer, not how it usually gets used on this show) so i did understand that one.

it does seem to be the fate of one contestant a year to be judged as “too confident” or “too trained” and i kinda get WHY it’s layton this year but equally (as always) i think it stems from people just not fully understanding that doing very basic steps for a stage show or a group number with your band or as part of your stage school is not the same as actually being trained.

Reactions: 12
I actually though Jody did quite well for the only one in the group who doesn’t have a career in front of the camera of some sort.

Reactions: 19
Ellie
Nigel
Layton

I agree with this. Some people take it too seriously, it’s all for Saturday night entertainment they don’t all have to be outstanding. I like seeing Les etc give it their best even if it’s not graceful you can see they’re enjoying it.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I actually though Jody did quite well for the only one in the group who doesn’t have a career in front of the camera of some sort.
Jowita is easily one of the best pros - you can tell how much she's been able to get out of him with her teaching and choreography.

Reactions: 23
to be fair, ashley is one of the truest ringers this show has ever had in that she was an actual trained dancer who had previously made a living through dancing (that’s the actual definition of a ringer, not how it usually gets used on this show) so i did understand that one.

it does seem to be the fate of one contestant a year to be judged as “too confident” or “too trained” and i kinda get WHY it’s layton this year but equally (as always) i think it stems from people just not fully understanding that doing very basic steps for a stage show or a group number with your band or as part of your stage school is not the same as actually being trained.
I live in hope that as the bar for ringerdom inches ever lower at some point Mark Cavendish, junior competitor in ballroom and Latin, will be able to sneak under.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.