Strictly Come Dancing 2022 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love how overtly political Nikita is being. So often stars from fun fluffy light entertainment shows (especially BBC ones) will just post a vague ‘prayers 💕’ Post so people don’t get upset about them not being fun and fluffy at all times.

Reactions: 18
I love how overtly political Nikita is being. So often stars from fun fluffy light entertainment shows (especially BBC ones) will just post a vague ‘prayers 💕’ Post so people don’t get upset about them not being fun and fluffy at all times.
Only makes me love him more❤

Reactions: 5
I always follow Giovanni during Strictly and then unfollow once it’s over because the endless thirst trap posts are just dull. There is no one that man loves more than himself.

Good for Shirley for calling people out. Hopefully it makes some of them think. Touring after two years away is a big deal so I don’t begrudge people posting about their work but it takes a minute to share about Ukraine too. And you’d hope the pros would want to post since they have such huge platforms and they have colleagues with a personal connection to what is happening. Sharing a donation link is easy but can make a real difference. Nikita shared the Red Cross appeal yesterday and I donated. If I did that, I’m sure plenty of other people will have done the same.

(It’s not important right now but Nikita seems like a really lovely guy and he’ll have my vote if he’s got a semi-decent partner next series.)
They pretty much all have, though, haven't they? I have a terrible memory so I could be wrong, but I feel like the Russian ones are the only ones who haven't, from Strictly anyway. Oh, and Gio. I think. But he hardly ever posts anything anyway. 🤷‍♀️

More of the American pros seem to be staying silent. I would have thought they'd be more vocal, given that one of their former colleagues is actually stuck in Kyiv. But there are more Russians on that one so maybe that's why. Maybe the others feel awkward saying something when half their colleagues are Russian? Or maybe just that American celebs tend to be more afraid of backlash for political posts?

Last edited:
More of the American pros seem to be staying silent. I would have thought they'd be more vocal, given that one of their former colleagues is actually stuck in Kyiv. But there are more Russians on that one so maybe that's why. Maybe the others feel awkward saying something when half their colleagues are Russian? Or maybe just that American celebs tend to be more afraid of backlash for political posts?
Some of the American pros have had their share of foot in mouth moments on social media, I get the impression that there may be a lack of social awareness among the cast. I can get the likes of Artem & Gleb not saying anything given that they probably still have family in Russia.

One of them really seems to have lost the plot with her ideas on how to raise awareness:

That was a strong statement from our Shirl! If I’m being totally honest, unless they post say a link to a charity and ask people to give what they can or a post something they’re confident is from a trusted source then it’s sometimes best people don’t say anything. I’m not talking specifically about dancers but there have been so many discussions on Tattle about people who will for example share the video of the babies in the makeshift bunker NICU in between videos of their own kids and what they’re doing at the weekend etc.

I think there’s the element too of people looking for distractions. We all know what’s going on and I for one can’t watch the news all the time just now. And I’ll probably get slated for saying it but I don’t think anyone should be obliged to post something if they don’t feel they can. And cancel culture is a big thing (understandably in a lot of cases) maybe they’re scared they get it wrong? I doubt Putin has a team of folk trawling SM to see if anyone slagged him off but the man’s a maniac.

(The only Strictly person I still follow is Gorka so I don’t know what any of the others have or haven’t shared)

Reactions: 4
That was a strong statement from our Shirl! If I’m being totally honest, unless they post say a link to a charity and ask people to give what they can or a post something they’re confident is from a trusted source then it’s sometimes best people don’t say anything. I’m not talking specifically about dancers but there have been so many discussions on Tattle about people who will for example share the video of the babies in the makeshift bunker NICU in between videos of their own kids and what they’re doing at the weekend etc.

I think there’s the element too of people looking for distractions. We all know what’s going on and I for one can’t watch the news all the time just now. And I’ll probably get slated for saying it but I don’t think anyone should be obliged to post something if they don’t feel they can. And cancel culture is a big thing (understandably in a lot of cases) maybe they’re scared they get it wrong? I doubt Putin has a team of folk trawling SM to see if anyone slagged him off but the man’s a maniac.

(The only Strictly person I still follow is Gorka so I don’t know what any of the others have or haven’t shared)
If someone doesn't post about Ukraine, I usually think this - they're probably just scared of posting the wrong thing. It's brilliant if a pro wants to raise awareness or post support, but my anger is more focused on those dickheads spreading misinformation or terrible takes rather than whether a celeb doesn't post something

I get Shirley's general point but I don't see anything wrong with posting about tours - not everyone working on them is as well off as the pros (or Shirley) and they haven't been able to work much for over two years

Though I'm fully aware that I am saying this all from a privileged position of someone not directly affected by the conflict so what do I know. My heart goes out to Nikita and anyone else going through it right now

Reactions: 7
When Nikita was isolating with covid at the beginning of the tour he did a live sponsored walk round his room for diabetes UK.
He's just a lovely bloke and seems to have a good head on his shoulders to say he's so young.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I love Nikita. He seems an old soul and clearly cares deeply.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Some of the American pros have had their share of foot in mouth moments on social media, I get the impression that there may be a lack of social awareness among the cast. I can get the likes of Artem & Gleb not saying anything given that they probably still have family in Russia.

One of them really seems to have lost the plot with her ideas on how to raise awareness:
Yes, I saw that. Final straw and I've unfollowed her. Most concerning is that 70% of her followers think it's a good idea! What planet do these people live on?! 🤦‍♀️

OMG that sweatshirt is crazy. I totally agree that people shouldn’t feel compelled to post if they don’t want to. Katya posted something vague there about peace and love, and I saw a few critical comments on her previous post so maybe she felt compelled. Sharing fundraising links would be better.
The other thing is that most of the pros don’t seem politically interested or active at all. I remember Gio saying last year that he loved Boris because he was funny and that seemed to be the extent of his political knowledge. Fair enough - just that personally there are times when that feels really out of touch with my mood (clearly not others’ as there are loads of the usual thirsting comments on his latest post).

(ETA: just to note, that the only pros who even liked or commented on Nikita's original post were Neil, Jowita, Nancy, and Dianne)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4

Meanwhile, on Ukrainian Strictly
Fantastic! I just checked his wiki page because I don’t know anything about him and apparently he was an actor before a politician, which accounts for his Strictly appearance. I had images of “please welcome Sir Keir Starmer and Dianne Buswell who will be dancing the samba” being a thing!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
Here James Jordan goes!
If only Tattle had an eye roll reaction! He has no idea what it must be like for them, none of us do. Even though they might not live in Russia, they probably have family who do.

Who would he have shared a dancefloor with, Artem and Kristina?

Reactions: 6
If only Tattle had an eye roll reaction! He has no idea what it must be like for them, none of us do. Even though they might not live in Russia, they probably have family who do.

Who would he have shared a dancefloor with, Artem and Kristina?
exactly. Putin isn’t sat scrolling Instagram saying “Luba from Strictly thinks I’m evil. Send her Nan to the gulag!” but the fear that someone could read it or something bad could happen because your home country’s government is batshit insane and in the hands of an increasingly unhinged dictator is real and legitimate. They will have seen the videos of protestors being rounded up in the street and James should be grateful that he was born in a country where protest is, for now, legal.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
The thing is the pros are (as always) dammed if they do dammed if they don’t,although I’ve not really seen any social media “cancelling”/complaining about not posting(not just aimed at the pros but anyone really) Unless I’ve just not been looking the right places.

If they do (Nikita excluded as he is directly affected. The Russians are also in a tricky position) they get accused of being nothing but performative and not actually caring. If they don’t they get accused of being ignorant. But as others have said they’re probably scared of a backlash from sharing misinformation (of which there’s a lot)

I can’t speak for everyone but I think most of us just feel pretty helpless right now as apart from donating money (which I appreciate not everyone can) there’s really nothing people can do and no amount of sharing pictures of bombed out buildings and info graphics will change what’s happening.

At the moment I imagine those with tours are under pressure from managers and promoters to promote as much as possible to sell as many of the remaining tickets as possible. Same goes for contracted spon/ad content. They probably don’t have a choice when they post it. There’s a contract to be fulfilled and they risk not being paid. Shirley might have a slight point but I’d take her more seriously if she wasn’t on alleged £500K+ when most of the dancers have seen their yearly incomes drop because they couldn’t tour.

Reactions: 8
Omg. Well, she’s let us know who she is. And she’s a yoga teacher - peace and love until it impacts her bottom line!

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.