Strictly Come Dancing 2021

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So we’ve got 7 men and 7 women so far, but 8 male dancers are required so does that mean there will be a male contestant announced tonight do we think?

Supposed to be on Mo Gilligans show at 10 tonight C4
I don’t think it’s necessarily a guest of the show - unless it’s David Williams or Peter Crouch and we appear to have numerous tall men already.

Laura “The Whitmore” Twitmore is on - maybe it’s Ian Sterling? That would depend on when Love Island finishes though.

Or maybe it’s like Nina being announced on Lorraine yesterday - just aiming for a target audience and it’s nothing to do with the show at all

Reactions: 1
If it is him that’s no Irish, Welsh or Scottish celebrities (unless I’m mistaken)
All 15 celebs are English this year. Really quite poor UK diversity from the BBC.

It's not the quality of the names that annoys me (some quite good ones and I recognised most) but the balance is totally wrong this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
She is really funny and think she will be good on Strictly, don't know about the dancing but doesn't take herself too seriously.
That sounds promising then!

All 15 celebs are English this year. Really quite poor UK diversity from the BBC.

It's not the quality of the names that annoys me (some quite good ones and I recognised most) but the balance is totally wrong this time.
Quite....and then they act surprised that people in the other nations are pissed off and once again reiterates that "Britain" really just equals "England" 🙄 Even if they need to be London based to make it work, there are plenty people they could have chosen.

Reactions: 3
I've not been keen on Judi when I've seen shows with her on (eg Last Leg) she is funny but a bit OTT for me 😫

But then I think I'm in the minority as I like Tilly 🤣

Greg Wise is more well known for who is more famous wife is.

Tilly Ramsay is more well known for who her more famous father is.

Three people who have been in a soap, all females and two from the same show is poor booking.

Tom Fletcher is on to a hiding to nothing. If he wins oh well a band mate did it before you. If he doesn't win your band mate won this, your other band mate and your wife both won the other biggest reality TV show.

Robert Webb is the token 'previous dance experience' contestant after winning a dance competition in 2009.

Adam Peaty could save the show as he's a genuine big name for the show for being the very best in his profession and relevant to right now. I can see him with Oti who usually gets a sports person.

Reactions: 4
I'm often torn about the idea of 'big names' doing the show. When you come in already very popular with a big fan base then you'll always have the advantage.

The only two I can say I'm very familiar with is Dan Walker and Robert Webb. I've never heard of Adam Peaty but I hate sport and don't give a monkeys about the Olympics. He's not a name that has translated for me either in other media outlets. But he's obviously a very big name to many.

I agree, not fussed about how big the names are as long as there are some good personalities. You can bet if someone from one direction took part votes would be skewed. Also, realistically what level of "celebrity" are people looking for? Helen Mirren is hardly going to do it. Nina and Rose will be good fun and Robert too.

Reactions: 7
I’m Scottish and don’t get this need for someone from each nation. It’s not that deep. Picking from each nation isn’t diversity IMO.

Not going to get into a political debate, but I equally don’t need someone to be Scottish for me to root for them.

Reactions: 26
I’m Scottish and don’t get this need for someone from each nation. It’s not that deep. Picking from each nation isn’t diversity IMO.

Not going to get into a political debate, but I equally don’t need someone to be Scottish for me to root for them.
Also Scottish, absolutely despised JJ last year so it's not about "I need a Scottish person to cheer on" but it's incredibly lazy to not even try and have a mixed bag of celebrities from all over the country.

Reactions: 12
Also Scottish, absolutely despised JJ last year so it's not about "I need a Scottish person to cheer on" but it's incredibly lazy to not even try and have a mixed bag of celebrities from all over the country.
Unsure about strictly, but it was common knowledge within TV circles that Cowell hated putting through Scots/Irish/Welsh to the live shows on X factor as they were almost guaranteed a spot in the final due to televote. Harder for him to rig 😂

Reactions: 7
Totally agreed and I think with the BBC's push for more diversity, they look a bit silly not having regional diversity in a cast of 15 but that's all I'll say on that one to avoid going off-topic.

In fairness we don't know they didn't try to get people from different regions. They've done it plenty of times before so I don't think the BBC are anti diversity in nationality, maybe they just couldn't line anyone up. The constant changes in covid rules between nations makes travelling between nations etc harder

Reactions: 4
Re celebs from Wales, Scotland, NI- could be something to do with devolved covid rules potentially. Obviously right now it wouldn’t be much of an issue but if the restrictions changed again I can imagine it being logistically difficult if one nation has different rules if they travelling to and from throughout the series perhaps?

Perhaps also after watching JJ spend however many weeks it was away from his wife and young children the ones actually based in Scotland or Wales are less keen?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.