Strictly Come Dancing 2021

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Rumours circling around that we have a male same-sex pairing this year.

I hate sounding homophobic, it goes against everything in me (I am gay myself) but am I wrong to just not like when they do this? And it sounds like they're turning it into yet another one of their quotas (which means that LGBT celebs could be coerced into it though can't prove that for sure). It didn't work with H/Matt on DOI, it didn't work with Nicola/Katya on SCD, it leads to a bunch of bigots mouthing off homophobic bile on social media and generally, pros don't seem to be able to adjust their choreo for it. It does nothing for LGBT rights/visibility either IMO - it's just dancing, hardly groundbreaking like certain rights being introduced were (as much as H from Steps may think otherwise).

Reactions: 18
Rumours circling around that we have a male same-sex pairing this year.

I hate sounding homophobic, it goes against everything in me (I am gay myself) but am I wrong to just not like when they do this? And it sounds like they're turning it into yet another one of their quotas (which means that LGBT celebs could be coerced into it though can't prove that for sure). It didn't work with H/Matt on DOI, it didn't work with Nicola/Katya on SCD, it leads to a bunch of bigots mouthing off homophobic bile on social media and generally, pros don't seem to be able to adjust their choreo for it. It does nothing for LGBT rights/visibility either IMO - it's just dancing, hardly groundbreaking like certain rights being introduced were (as much as H from Steps may think otherwise).
Doing it for the sake of doing it is pointless. But if the celeb wants a same sex partnership and there is a good dynamic between them and the dancer then great. But I do agree (as a gay man) it could easily become a box ticking exercise.

Reactions: 13
Doing it for the sake of doing it is pointless. But if the celeb wants a same sex partnership and there is a good dynamic between them and the dancer then great. But I do agree (as a gay man) it could easily become a box ticking exercise.
Agree that if a celeb requests it then it's fine, they ultimately need the right people to make it work. Its just that by searching for it, the BBC come across like they want it to be box ticking rather than a "on request" situation.

I was kinda surprised that Nicola/Katya flopped because Katya is a good choreographer and I thought that with Nicola being a well known Olympic athlete and fairly young still that they would do well.

Reactions: 3
I'm conflicted — I really liked the idea of a girl/girl partnership, because loads of people dance in those and it's nice to see them represented. Male/male couples are (I'm generalising horribly here) a bit of a nuisance. There aren't generally enough of them to have a separate category, and most girl/girl couples don't really like dancing against them, because they're generally taller and heavier. If a girl/girl couple came up fast behind me, I'd hold the line and expect them to avoid me. I'd watch a m/f couple very carefully, and for a m/m couple I'd definitely pull up or get out of the way — I'm 5'3" and with a partner the same height or shorter I don't fancy going flying. Some are happy to dance in the mixed-sex category, then it isn't an issue, but occasionally a pair will say it isn't inclusive and they should be allowed to dance in with the girl/girl couples.

Obviously on Strictly when they all dance on their own it isn't as much of an issue.

(I've also never met a man, straight or gay who wanted to be in a same-sex partnership, whereas I know lots of girls who do. Reasons ranging from matching dresses and sparkle would be fun, the beginner boys were really slow at picking up the dancing and the girls were better, to not wanting to dance with a man other than a boyfriend, to some sadder ones where they'd been sexually assaulted.)

Reactions: 4
Agree that if a celeb requests it then it's fine, they ultimately need the right people to make it work. Its just that by searching for it, the BBC come across like they want it to be box ticking rather than a "on request" situation.

I was kinda surprised that Nicola/Katya flopped because Katya is a good choreographer and I thought that with Nicola being a well known Olympic athlete and fairly young still that they would do well.
I don’t think Nicola was a dancer. She did well in the street/modern but there was no flair in her other dances. IMO as an armchair dancer, she seemed very stompy which is unusual for a boxer.

Reactions: 16
Nicola seemed like Joe Calzaghe to me, really wooden and kept trotting out the same boxing cliches all the time.

Reactions: 12
My only concern with a male same sex pairing is that I'm not sure there's a current male pro who could make it work. Giovanni perhaps. He's a great choreographer and very competitive but to me, he's always come across as quite traditional, so not sure how he'd play it. Height might be an issue with Gorka, and Aljaz and Johannes are quite boring choreographers (I doubt they'd consider any of the others?)

I think the main problem with Katya and Nicola was that they had no chemistry whatsoever. And I agree, Nicola was never going to be a great dancer

Reactions: 1
Nichola was never going to get far because she was quite awkward and sometimes I felt she was a bit like how I found Max not really wanting to be there but an agent/manager had persuaded them it was a good idea. I do wonder if (covid aside) how she would’ve gone on with a different partner, somebody a bit calmer and less “on” all the time. Katya is probably a lovely a girl just in really small doses.

Reactions: 6
Nichola was never going to get far because she was quite awkward and sometimes I felt she was a bit like how I found Max not really wanting to be there but an agent/manager had persuaded them it was a good idea. I do wonder if (covid aside) how she would’ve gone on with a different partner, somebody a bit calmer and less “on” all the time. Katya is probably a lovely a girl just in really small doses.
Karen and Jamie ended up being a nice partnership where they got on but I’ve always thought Karen would have been a great partner for Nicola. I agree with you on max.

Reactions: 3
Probably right. I think Katya didn't suit Nicola - in hindsight, they should have paired Katya with Jason, I felt his potential was a bit wasted and he very much fit the enthusiastic, game for everything type who she has done well with. Maybe Karen for Nicola.

Looking back, Max was a bit of a waste of a spot on a reduced cast because he didn't seem to want to be there and they already had a young singer type in HRVY who was a much better dancer. I guess they cast Max for eye candy but that means little if you have no chemistry with your pro and are going through the motions.

My only concern with a male same sex pairing is that I'm not sure there's a current male pro who could make it work. Giovanni perhaps. He's a great choreographer and very competitive but to me, he's always come across as quite traditional, so not sure how he'd play it. Height might be an issue with Gorka, and Aljaz and Johannes are quite boring choreographers (I doubt they'd consider any of the others?)

I think the main problem with Katya and Nicola was that they had no chemistry whatsoever. And I agree, Nicola was never going to be a great dancer
But I thought if you shouted “I’m a dancer baby!” at least 6 times a day you automatically became a dancer 🤔😉

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Putting the mean streets of NY to rights, one sarcastic quip at a time!
Without completely going off topic....but have you got a favourite he was partnered with, I think I’ll always have a soft spot for mike Logan 😍 I loved their partnership

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Without completely going off topic....but have you got a favourite he was partnered with, I think I’ll always have a soft spot for mike Logan 😍 I loved their partnership
Logan is definitely my fave - I loved how it was almost like Lenny won him round after their rocky start. I did like him with Rey Curtis and I liked Ed Green but he was my least fave with Lenny

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Johannes is doing Celebrity Masterchef this year - following in the footsteps of Natalie, Gleb, Oti & AJ. Seems like the BBC are trying to raise his profile a bit, wonder if that bodes well for him getting a good partner on SCD.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.